Fear Of A Punk Decade

Fear Of A Punk Decade

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:10 am

Old Board topic here: http://www.daghouse.com/jacopo/viewtopic.php?t=26558

To answer you, Welly...no. I do not know the guy at all. And while I don't agree with everything he wrote in the article, I don't think it's as factually off base as others seem to think.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Fear Of A Punk Decade

Postby matt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:11 am

I know the guy. :oops:
matt
Site Admin

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:12 am

matt wrote:I know the guy. :oops:

His name looks so familiar. I don't know if it's just because I read AV Club frequently or not. He mentioned being in a band that recorded at Sonic Iguana as well.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby matt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:13 am

He's a Denver dude.
matt
Site Admin

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:15 am

Curious what band he was in.
gregpolard

Postby matt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:17 am

gregpolard wrote:Curious what band he was in.

Crestfallen? He was also in The Blue Ontario, Red Cloud West, and 25 Rifles.
matt
Site Admin

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:22 am

matt wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Curious what band he was in.

Crestfallen? He was also in The Blue Ontario, Red Cloud West, and 25 Rifles.

Ah. not one of those sounds familiar. haha
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:24 am

greg-prolly will get lost on the old board, but integrity had released the in contrast of sin by 1990, as well as a cassette single and had prolly written all of the songs for the lp at that point, which came out in 91.

SOIA put out the we stand alone ep in 1991, but they were def busy. i think this was the first time they toured europe after blood came out in 89, and they also went to south america(i think it was with napalm death and maybe sepultura). not active recording wise, but they also had the drumming changes as armand left to do rest in pieces.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:30 am

Last edited by Welly on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:40 am

yourenotevil wrote:greg-prolly will get lost on the old board, but integrity had released the in contrast of sin by 1990, as well as a cassette single and had prolly written all of the songs for the lp at that point, which came out in 91.

SOIA put out the we stand alone ep in 1991, but they were def busy. i think this was the first time they toured europe after blood came out in 89, and they also went to south america(i think it was with napalm death and maybe sepultura). not active recording wise, but they also had the drumming changes as armand left to do rest in pieces.

This plus in 1990 they participated in the In Effect/Born Against + Rorschach debate on WNYU and the title track of "We Stand Alone" is all about that.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:49 am

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:greg-prolly will get lost on the old board, but integrity had released the in contrast of sin by 1990, as well as a cassette single and had prolly written all of the songs for the lp at that point, which came out in 91.

This plus in 1990 they participated in the In Effect/Born Against + Rorschach debate on WNYU and the title track of "We Stand Alone" is all about that.

yeah great response/diss to born against/the scene without making it a direct rap like diss track.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:15 am

Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Old Board topic here: http://www.daghouse.com/jacopo/viewtopic.php?t=26558

To answer you, Welly...no. I do not know the guy at all. And while I don't agree with everything he wrote in the article, I don't think it's as factually off base as others seem to think.

Well this is, and I didn't even read it all...

Bad Religion’s Against The Grain and Fugazi’s Repeater. Interestingly, the first was part of a return to hardcore’s traditions while the latter strained to be as musically progressive as it possibly could. Both, though, were stridently outspoken. Okay, so Bad Religion’s Greg Graffin and Fugazi’s Ian MacKaye more or less barked, but Graffin’s harshness was softened by deeply layered backup harmonies, and MacKaye’s was offset by the more sultry vocals of his fellow singer-guitarist, Guy Picciotto.

1) Bad Religion's (two) previous album 'Suffer' was the "return to hardcore’s traditions"... but that didn't come out in 1990.
2) Fugazi's Repeater was more a well-timed exploration of the actually old post-punk than "musically progressive as it possibly could".
3) Think what you will of Graffin's vocals but 'barking' wasn't what his vocals became known for.
4) Picciotto 'barks' far more than MacKaye.

Very true. I did notice that about his "Against The Grain" comment.
gregpolard

Postby Janelle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:37 pm

Fear of a punk planet?
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Are we talking about Jason who wrote the article?
Chris Shary

Postby BAIN » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:52 am

could someone cut / paste the original article? for some reason I can't get to the site.

Thanx
BAIN

Return to daghouse