Official Daghouse Running Dogs Thread - PART TWO

Re: Official Daghouse Running Dogs Thread - PART TWO

Postby pedro » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:28 pm

Nice work NB!

I ran today and for the first time this season, I started in the dark and I was cold when I finished. Here comes the fall....
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:38 pm

That flip was a long time coming :lol:
Hal

Postby NotBaker » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks guys!

Hal - hope the calf is healing up.

Really enjoying having the rest of the week off so far. My plan now until Winter is just to maintain, enjoy the Fall, and maybe sneak in 13-miles here-and-there (got a few extra GUs to use up :)). Only potential races on the horizon are a 15K and a Turkey Trot. Maybe this will be the year I'll keep it going enough to entertain a Spring half!
NotBaker

Postby captain2man » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:53 am

For all of you run - great job. I've started the C25K program a few times and always gave up around week 3. It's just not my thing. I bike long distances (well - for me - it's long distance).

My wife, however, is running her first marathon in a couple of weeks - the NYC Marathon - probably her one & only. Watching her train up for it has been a lot of fun to watch, actually. She did 20 miles last Sunday and now she begins to taper off until marathon day.
captain2man

Postby NotBaker » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:06 am

I've been the exact opposite -- I haven't been able to get into biking. But as the only member of my family who doesn't own a bike, I figure I'll have to give in sooner or later.

Good luck to your wife, Captain! Now she gets to do the fun long runs where you think - "woohoo! today I only have to do 12!"
NotBaker

Postby captain2man » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:19 pm

NotBaker wrote:I've been the exact opposite -- I haven't been able to get into biking. But as the only member of my family who doesn't own a bike, I figure I'll have to give in sooner or later.

Good luck to your wife, Captain! Now she gets to do the fun long runs where you think - "woohoo! today I only have to do 12!"

Someone wise told me recently that the best exercise is the one you'll do.

I go to a lot of roadrunner's races with her - sometimes I'll even do a 5K (although I'll walk most of it) - and it's inspiring. Last year we volunteered at the final water station at the NYC marathon - at the 25th mile. It was an AMAZING experience - and it's hard not to be motivated by that. But when it actually comes down to doing it - I simply don't enjoy it.

For me, biking is much more relaxing - and much less stressful on the legs. I try to bike at least 15 miles every time I go out - I've recently been doing a route that's about 23 miles. For a lot of experienced bikers, I know that isn't much - but for me, who has abandoned exercise for a large chunk of my life - that's pretty good.

But yeah - now she's at the point where she says, "I ONLY have to run 15 miles this week".....she's only been running for two years....I remember the first day she came home from day 1 of C25K - she could barely run for a minute straight. This Sunday she's going to run the Yonkers half-marathon....but since that's not enough mileage for what she needs to do, she's going to bookend it with 1.5 mile runs on both ends....NUTS!!
captain2man

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:43 pm

1.5 miles today. Yay.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Hal » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:58 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:1.5 miles today. Yay.

Good work G! It's a process.
Hal

Postby pedro » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:00 pm

Go captain2woman!!!

The NYC marathon is awesome. Probably my personal favorite race I have ever completed. The story of my race is buried in this thread somewhere. It was a great day. Good luck to your wife!

Go John! Many years ago, before the thought of running an actual race ever crossed my mind, running 3 miles without stopping privided a great sense of accomplishment for me. I just kept building.
Hello.
pedro

Postby NotBaker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:29 am

pedro wrote:Go John! Many years ago, before the thought of running an actual race ever crossed my mind, running 3 miles without stopping privided a great sense of accomplishment for me. I just kept building.

Seconded. I can remember hearing that a friend's wife ran a half marathon. 13 miles sounded insane/super-human to me. A few years after that, thanks to a mild winter and a running store gift card for Christmas, I kept building from near-zero.

pedro - do you use any specific shoe gear for winter running? Was talking to a friend in Boston this weekend who said she knows people who use Yaktrax in the Winter. Looking online it sounds like they only do well if you're on *all* snow/ice and no pavement. Maybe ice spikes? I try to do a lot of runs a lot on a paved rail trail -- so it would be a mix of pavement, snow, and ice depending on the weather and melt. I may just need to change my routes and do more winter road runs. :x
NotBaker

Postby captain2man » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:08 am

pedro wrote:Go captain2woman!!!

The NYC marathon is awesome. Probably my personal favorite race I have ever completed. The story of my race is buried in this thread somewhere. It was a great day. Good luck to your wife!

Thanks Pedro! I'll pass that along. I'm really looking forward to it - and I want to try to map out where I'm going to be so I can catch her at least a few times during the race.

Last year we volunteered - we worked the final water station of the race - at the 25th mile in Central Park. We worked the second shift - so all the elite runners were long finished before we started. We were out there until after the sun had set, the crowds had dissipated, and the final people were finally on their last legs (literally). It was such an amazing experience.
captain2man

Postby pedro » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:20 am

NotBaker wrote:pedro - do you use any specific shoe gear for winter running? Was talking to a friend in Boston this weekend who said she knows people who use Yaktrax in the Winter. Looking online it sounds like they only do well if you're on *all* snow/ice and no pavement. Maybe ice spikes? I try to do a lot of runs a lot on a paved rail trail -- so it would be a mix of pavement, snow, and ice depending on the weather and melt. I may just need to change my routes and do more winter road runs. :x

Sorry. I completely missed this. I have never used anything specifically made for winter running. I can usually find a trail or path that is clear enough. I did run a cross country race in a pair of old soccer cleats, but it was all in powdery snow. I remember feeling my feet were even colder than normal, but it was also about 10 degrees at race time. The only race I have ever run where they handed out hot Gatorade. As in literally boiling.

I have a running friend who uses Yaktrax, but he lives just north of Moscow. He runs barefoot in the summer but uses the Yaktrak in snow. I know he likes them.
Hello.
pedro

Postby NotBaker » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks pedro! I have not bought Yaktrax or spikes, but I did sign up for a winter half marathon (Austin). So I'll be doing most of my training in the northeast, somehow managing the cold, snow, and other weather. So far it hasn't been too bad, but it's early. I'm tempted to buy a treadmill, but the more I think about it,I have no real interest in doing long runs long-term on it any more than I'd absolutely have to. Maybe this will mean I'll also be in good training shape to do an early Spring half too.

Anyone else running/training through the winter?
NotBaker

Postby pedro » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:47 pm

Good luck NB. It was cold running here this morning. I just signed up for my two traditional spring races. A local 10K (the first competitive race I ever ran) and the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler. The Cherry Blossom race is actually a lottery, so I won't know I'm in for a couple of weeks.

I have been running pretty well this fall. I'm hoping to break 1500 miles this year. That would be a lot for me in a non-marathon year. I'll have to average over 30 miles for the last weeks. We'll see what happens.

Hey Captain, how was captain2woman's NYC? I hope she enjoyed it.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:04 pm

NotBaker wrote:Anyone else running/training through the winter?

I've been splitting my time between my spin bike and outdoor runs. Hit the pavement this morning at 6:30a. Fricken freezing...literally. I dressed appropriately though and warmed up by the end of the first mile. Ran 3.2 and felt great. My calf seems to have healed. I've put on quite a few lbs, so the impact is considerably worse on my hips. My cardiovascular is solid though. I could have gone another few miles without issue. Not going to push it over the winter. But, I'd like to keep running at least 2-3 days a week as long as I can stand the cold.
Hal

Postby captain2man » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:27 pm

I started C25K (again) yesterday. Did 2.3 miles. Cold day on Long Island, but I don't mind running in the cold. Better than the heat if you ask me.

Will try to get up before work for day 2.

Really, my only goal is to be able to run a 5K. That would be a huge accomplishment. Heck...even running a mile would be a huge victory.
captain2man

Postby pedro » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:57 am

pedro wrote:Hey Captain, how was captain2woman's NYC? I hope she enjoyed it.
Hello.
pedro

Postby captain2man » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:51 pm

pedro wrote:
pedro wrote:Hey Captain, how was captain2woman's NYC? I hope she enjoyed it.

She finished in about 6:15. I was hopping all around & saw her at various points during the race - I think like 8.5 miles, 11, 18 & 24....and then after she was done, of course.

She was exhausted beyond belief, took her a few days to recuperate....but I couldn't have been prouder of her.

She's going to continue to run....but not marathons....probably up to half-marathons.
captain2man

Postby pedro » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:34 am

Congrats to captain2woman! I hope she runs whatever races she is happy with. 26.2 has been conquered.
Hello.
pedro

Postby NotBaker » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:52 am

Last Sunday I ran the Austin Half Marathon. Winter training had been adequate (if not methodical), and I think my longest run was 11 or 12 miles. It’s also the best that I’ve managed to do during winter — usually I just stop running at some point due to the cold and weather. I went into race day feeling good. It was a cool morning, and I’m glad I didn’t need to worry about the heat. It was a big race - 20,000 total runners for the full, half, and 5k. The start was crowded, but I set a good pace and kept it going. I knew it was going to be a hilly race, and it was - although I didn’t really look at the course and elevation ahead of time. Big hill at mile 8. - expected. Then the same at miles 9, 10, 11. And a HUGE hill at 12! The only time i walked was during the last part of that hill. Managed to finish in just under 2 hours, which was great for me. My wife also ran the half, and a friend did the full (she’s nuts - it was hilly throughout too), and they both have good races. Did a short recovery run the next day, and have been OFF! the rest of this week. Will just maintain at this point. I’m doing another half in about two months, but that one fortunately has a net negative elevation!

Anyone doing any Spring races?
Last edited by NotBaker on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotBaker

Postby captain2man » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:03 am

NotBaker wrote:Last Sunday I ran the Austin Half Marathon. Winter training had been adequate (if not methodical), and I think my longest run was 11 or 12 miles. It’s also the best they I’ve managed to do during winter — usually I just stop running at some point due to the cold and weather. I went into race day feeling good. It was a cool morning, and I’m glad I didn’t need to worry about the heat. It was a big race - 20,000 total runners for the full, half, and 5k. The start was crowded, but I set a good pace and kept it going. I knew it was going to be a hilly race, and it was - although I didn’t really look at the course and elevation ahead of time. Big hill at mile 8. - expected. Then the same at miles 9, 10, 11. And a HUGE hill at 12! The only time i walked was during the last part of that hill. Managed to finish in just under 2 hours, which was great for me. My wife also ran the half, and a friend did the full (she’s nuts - it was hilly throughout too), and they both have good races. Did a short recovery run the next day, and have been OFF! the rest of this week. Will just maintain at this point. I’m doing another half in about two months, but that one fortunately has a net negative elevation!

Anyone doing any Spring races?

Nice job!!! Congratulations.

They have a Long Island summer run series that I'm going to do. Races every Monday - not sure how many. Most of them are 5Ks....I think maybe one is a 4-miler. 9 weeks out I'm going to restart the C25K program. There are a lot of walkers who do these too - it's not strictly runners....I would generally do intervals (more walking than running) - but I'd really like to get to the point where I can run the whole thing.
captain2man

Postby Hal » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:42 am

Good work NotBaker! Congratulations!

I've been running 2-3 times a week. Yet still gaining a ton of weight this winter. I can't wait for warmer temps. I wanna hit the pavement hard this season.
Hal

Postby captain2man » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:47 am

Hal wrote:Good work NotBaker! Congratulations!

I've been running 2-3 times a week. Yet still gaining a ton of weight this winter. I can't wait for warmer temps. I wanna hit the pavement hard this season.

Yeah - the cold in the northeast is never good for the waistline....I still go the gym at least a couple of times a week.....but in the winter, the bike stays in the garage, which is where I burn most of my calories.
captain2man

Postby lewdd » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:06 pm

I have not done anything other than continue to eat and drink like normal and not exercise and I have not gained my normal 5 pounds per winter. I consider that progress. I think it will take a loss of a job or a heart attack to inspire me to do anything at this point. Congrats to those of you who have the desire to exercise.
lewdd

Postby NotBaker » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:56 pm

lewdd wrote:I have not done anything other than continue to eat and drink like normal and not exercise and I have not gained my normal 5 pounds per winter. I consider that progress. I think it will take a loss of a job or a heart attack to inspire me to do anything at this point. Congrats to those of you who have the desire to exercise.

Haha Lew! I am still in Texas this week, and ate a huge ribeye last night and way too much barbecue the night before! Solidarity!
NotBaker

Postby NotBaker » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:57 pm

Thanks Hal and Captain! Looking forward to future updates (and warmer temps)!
NotBaker

Postby NotBaker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:13 pm

BUMP!

I've run a half marathon (*) every two months this year, starting in February. It's felt really good to keep it going. I haven't done all that much training, but have just kept my miles consistent and stayed in decent shape.

Yesterday I ran a half marathon trail run. It was my first trail run ever, and I wasn't really sure what to expect. The weather was pretty awful -- cold and rainy -- so the course was very wet and muddy throughout. I ran the first 7 or so miles without music, and then had to put my headphones in.

I had a lot of fun doing it, but it was a grueling run. I had some side stitches around mile 6. And then some inner leg muscle pain around mile 12, where I had to stop, stretch and walk for a bit. Not too far before the finish I wound up slipping on muddy grass and coming down on my left side/shoulder, but it was more embarrassing than painful. I saw enough people fall in puddles or on heavy tree-rooted areas throughout the race, so if I had to pick a place to fall, muddy grass would be it. I finished with around an 11:00 minute pace, which is slower than my road pace but I was happy enough with it. Warmed up, ate, changed clothes, and then couldn't wait for a hot shower.

Only December to go!

(*) or an equivalent 13.1+ solo run
NotBaker

Postby captain2man » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:12 pm

Well done....doing half marathons that consistently is quite a feat. I can't imagine how much more difficult trail running is.

I do a bit of hiking and see trail runners & it always blows my mind. I have enough trouble walking steep trails....can't imagine running them.

Great, great job!!
captain2man

Postby pedro » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:45 pm

Nice work NB! I used to run trails quite a bit...but I fell and broke a rib! Sneezing or coughing really sucked for about 3 weeks.

I just signed up for a marathon on March 15, 2020. I haven't trained in the winter for a marathon in a long time. It's going to be cold and dark! I had thought about running one on Thanksgiving weekend, but it's not going to work out.
Hello.
pedro

Postby captain2man » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:41 pm

pedro wrote:Nice work NB! I used to run trails quite a bit...but I fell and broke a rib! Sneezing or coughing really sucked for about 3 weeks.

I just signed up for a marathon on March 15, 2020. I haven't trained in the winter for a marathon in a long time. It's going to be cold and dark! I had thought about running one on Thanksgiving weekend, but it's not going to work out.

Did a 5K Thanksgiving morning last year.....4 degrees out. Never again.
captain2man

Postby scannest » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:11 am

Hey pedro, I'm guessing you did not do the DC marathon this past weekend? A colleague of mine drove down to run the race and said it was the most difficult he's run (it was his 10th). Said the weather was terrible - torrential rain up front followed by 80 degree temperatures for the last third.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Hal » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:53 am

Wow, great work NotBaker! Impressive accomplishment! Sorry to hear about your trail mishap.

I ran the Hartford Half Marathon again a few weeks ago. After two injury-plagued seasons, I was extremely grateful and fortunate to be participating this year. Training these last couple of months went perfectly. I was up close to 200 lbs back in the spring and managed to get myself down to 179 lbs on race morning. It was a nice run. Conditions were close to perfect...slightly overcast, mid-50's, light breeze. I ran a 2:06...my slowest ever. I didn't have a time goal in mind. Just kinda went out and enjoyed the race. This was my first-ever race without any fans. Wife was teaching yoga, kids were busy and my dad was home sick. It was strange coming to the finish without them there to greet me. But, I've always been comfortable doing pretty much anything alone, so I made the best of it. It was nice to roam around and visiting all of the vendors, taking my time at the athlete's food tent and then finally enjoying my free beverage in the beer garden.

Good luck to any of you that have races planned in the coming weeks!
Hal

Postby NotBaker » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:24 pm

Thanks guys! At 43 I consider myself very lucky for not seriously injuring myself, so while I had fun I think I'll skip the trail running and stick to hiking and road races. Maaaaybe I'll just do the 6-mile trail run next year if the weather is better! :D

Nice job Hal and good luck Pedro! I liked doing a winter half this year, since it forced me to train past the end of Fall. Nothing big planned, but I hope to keep it going. Not sure if I have the motivation to do another marathon though. I might do a 15K in a couple weeks and probably a Thanksgiving 5K. Captain - my wife and kids have signed up for a Thanksgiving 5K a bunch of times with me, a have bailed because of the weather. One or twice it was snowy, and the other times it was freezing cold. We'll see about this year!
NotBaker

Postby pedro » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:36 pm

scannest wrote:Hey pedro, I'm guessing you did not do the DC marathon this past weekend? A colleague of mine drove down to run the race and said it was the most difficult he's run (it was his 10th). Said the weather was terrible - torrential rain up front followed by 80 degree temperatures for the last third.

Kind of late, but I am just seeing this now. Sorry scanny. I did not run the Marine Corps Marathon this past fall. However, my running friend Joe did (his 23rd consecutive MCM!) and some friends and I ran from Bethesda to Georgetown, about 13 miles, to cheer him on. It was pouring rain the entire run. And I mean pouring. We had made it back by the time the sun came out and, the temps went up but I can't imagine it wasn't miserable. Joe did about what he expected but everyone else I know who ran it were way off their personal bests. Glad I missed it and much respect to all who finished.

I'm in week three of training for my marathon in March. I was in Boston this past weekend and when I got up early on Saturday (6 miles) and Sunday (11 miles) it was 15 and 14 degrees respectively. I was not prepared for that! It's only going to get colder!
Hello.
pedro

Postby NotBaker » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:26 pm

A couple weeks ago I finished my last 13.1 mile run around town for 2019, and wrapped up my "half marathon (distance or race) every other month" for 2019. We'd gotten about 2 feet of snow in early December, so I was concerned about not having clear paths or decent temperatures throughout a lot of December. Fortunately the snow had melted enough in a week, so the sidewalks and roads were in good shape. The run wasn't pretty and I still had to navigate some icy sidewalks and snowbanks, but I manged to finish the run. :) And the next day was cold and rainy, so I was happy to sleep in.

And then today I did my first New Years Day half marathon. The weather was pretty good for upstate NY in winter, and overall it was a nice day for a run. I finished in just over 2 hours (clock time) -- probably one of my slower times -- but I'm glad to have done it. I don't have anything on the horizon right now, and will probably take at least some time off. Hoping to stay in decent shape during winter and hope the weather cooperates for enough outdoor runs! Can't wait for Spring! :roll:

Good luck with the training, pedro!
NotBaker

Postby pedro » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:21 pm

Nice job NB! Take some time if you need it. The trails will still be there. Up to anything Hal?

I am in week 7 of my training, so the distances are getting longer. I did 17 last weekend and I have three 20 milers in front of me. I'm feeling pretty good. I have been getting up early most days to run. I have been running hills on Thursday mornings with a group. It has been nice to run with company. I have been reminded of just how dark and cold it is at 5:00 am in the winter!

March 15th here I come!
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:56 am

Great work NB/pedro!! You guys put me to shame. Happy New Year Running Dogs!

I took a few weeks off after my half marathon in October. Been getting out 2-3 times a week since. Doing some light dumbbell training and spin bike too. Feeling a bit more motivated in the new year. Hoping to get back to 4-5 runs a week. Temps have been mild, so it's been easy so far. I agree with pedro though, it's been dark as shit when I head out at 6:00a. Not a big fan of running in the dark.

Have any of you guys run on HOKA shoes? I tried a pair on last spring. At the time they felt like moon boots. But, with the excessive joint pain I feel constantly now, I'm thinking about giving them a try. John Joseph seems to really like them :)
Hal

Postby matt » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:25 am

Hey buddies. I started running again last October. Super low mileage on the gym treadmill while the weather is iffy and I try to rebuild my legs. I'm in desperate need of a shoe upgrade, but I don't want to break the bank. Can you guys recommend any running shoe store chains that provide quality product that isn't totally high-end?
matt
Site Admin

Postby pedro » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:04 am

Hey buddy. First, awesome! Welcome to the Dogs. Second, I would recommend that you first head to a local running store, not a sporting goods store like Dicks or Modell's, but a running store staffed by actual runners. Basically you want the Colorado equivalent of this: https://www.rnjsports.com/. Have your stride assessed by someone who knows what they are doing (this can often be a college kid who runs. Odds are they know what they are talking about) and get a recommended shoe and size. Remember, if you think your shoe fits, it's probably too small. If the person helping you doesn't ask you to jog around the store a bit, be a little skeptical.

Once you have that, and get over the guilt of walking out without buying anything, you can look on the internet. I have found good deals at Zappos, but I find most of my deals at the above mentioned RnJ Sports website. Think of running shoes like cars, last years model is often available and less expensive. I usually buy the model that just went out of production. I can usually get them half price or so. RnJ will ship to Colorado, but finding a local store where you can ask questions is probably best. It also alleviates some of that previously mentioned guilt.

I'm running in Asics Cumulus 20s right now and I got them for $70 instead of the $120 for the 21s. I'm a slightly bigger guy with a neutral landing on my stride. I buy multiple pairs at a time and they'll last me until the 22 comes out and then I'll get the 21s!
Hello.
pedro

Postby matt » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:18 am

pedro wrote:Hey buddy. First, awesome! Welcome to the Dogs. Second, I would recommend that you first head to a local running store, not a sporting goods store like Dicks or Modell's, but a running store staffed by actual runners. Basically you want the Colorado equivalent of this: https://www.rnjsports.com/. Have your stride assessed by someone who knows what they are doing (this can often be a college kid who runs. Odds are they know what they are talking about) and get a recommended shoe and size. Remember, if you think your shoe fits, it's probably too small. If the person helping you doesn't ask you to jog around the store a bit, be a little skeptical.

Once you have that, and get over the guilt of walking out without buying anything, you can look on the internet. I have found good deals at Zappos, but I find most of my deals at the above mentioned RnJ Sports website. Think of running shoes like cars, last years model is often available and less expensive. I usually buy the model that just went out of production. I can usually get them half price or so. RnJ will ship to Colorado, but finding a local store where you can ask questions is probably best. It also alleviates some of that previously mentioned guilt.

I'm running in Asics Cumulus 20s right now and I got them for $70 instead of the $120 for the 21s. I'm a slightly bigger guy with a neutral landing on my stride. I buy multiple pairs at a time and they'll last me until the 22 comes out and then I'll get the 21s!

This is perfect, THANK YOU! I'm currently running on some Asics Gel Venture 5s that I got on Amazon for $65 after doing some research on entry-level shoes. They rub a bit on the inner part of my arch, so they get uncomfortable for any distance longer than 3 miles or so. There are running stores all over the place here, so I was just looking for recommendations on chains that had a good rep and won't rip me off. Your tactic has me robbing THEM! ;)
matt
Site Admin

Postby NotBaker » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:47 am

I'd been getting out there for runs several days a week, but decided to come up with a training plan to add a little more consistency and a target. I'm a few weeks into the Hal Higdon Half Marathon Intermediate I program -- just did my 8 mile long run today. :D Felt pretty good, and it was flat and shady enough to make a big difference. I had thought about the Intermediate II program, but didn't really want to do speedwork (even though it would be a good idea). Adding in some biking, spinning, and hiking for cross training. Races seem to be cancelled for the immediate future, but I'm just looking to work back up to the 13.1 distance and maintain. Anyone else running these days?
Last edited by NotBaker on Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
NotBaker

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:03 am

I've been trying to get back into jogging, myself. I am shooting for 3x a week. I got a really nice pair of Hoka's that are helpful. I need to be more regimented.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Hal » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:14 pm

gregpolard wrote:I've been trying to get back into jogging, myself. I am shooting for 3x a week. I got a really nice pair of Hoka's that are helpful. I need to be more regimented.

Nice! Go for it Greg! I'm thinking about HOKA's for my next treads. The wife bought a pair earlier this summer and she loves them.

Earlier this summer, I switched from RunKeeper to the Strava app for logging my miles. It has more of a social media interface. If any of you guys are on there, feel free to friend me: Mike Haller Avon, CT
Hal

Postby Hal » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:34 am

Hartford Half Marathon (Virtual)1:53:15 PR (-2:07)

After a couple of dismal season’s marked by injuries and poor results, I wasn’t planning on any races this year. When I heard that the Hartford races would be held “virtually” this fall I changed my mind. I’d packed on the pounds during those first couple of months of quarantine. I got myself back on track in the late spring with a renewed dedication to diet and exercise. By the end of July I was feeling better than I had in years. As of Saturday, I have lost 20+ pounds. The idea of being able to run the half marathon on my own terms and on my own turf was very appealing. On top of that, the entire entry fee was being donated to local charities, which I thought was really cool. So, I registered and began the process. Things went extremely well with my training. I was running faster miles than I ever had previously. In the words of Spike Lee, “It’s gotta be the shoes!”. I bought my first pair of HOKA’s (Clifton 7) at the beginning of August. I can’t say enough about these shoes. When I get into my stride, they’re like running on a cloud. My hips and knees feel better than they have in years. When I ran my final long run two weeks ago (12 mi.) I was a bit shocked to see that I’d ran a 1:45. If I could squeeze out one more mile at a decent pace I’d have a shot of beating my best time (1:55:22). Anyhow…no crowds, perfect weather and home-field advantage paid dividends. I ran my race on my favorite stretch of the Farmington Rail Trail here in CT. I was able to shatter my previous best by over 2 minutes. I didn’t think it was possible…10 days after my 49th birthday and running a 2:06 last season. Pretty proud of myself. Thanks for letting me gloat.
Hal

Postby pedro » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:02 am

WOOO HOO!!!

That is great Hal! Congratulations!! I ran a "Virtual" Half about a month ago. All things considered I am pretty happy with my result. I had been running regularly, but not really "training" for a race. I didn't PR or anything, but it was respectable and under my stated goal - by 6 seconds!

On a side note, I don't really get the whole "virtual" thing. "Virtual" makes it sound like it's video game or something. Trust me, I may have run it by myself, but there is nothing "virtual" about it. It really happened.

Congrats again Hal!
Hello.
pedro

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:23 am

This thread has potential to inspire me.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Hal » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:47 am

pedro wrote:That is great Hal! Congratulations!! I ran a "Virtual" Half about a month ago. All things considered I am pretty happy with my result. I had been running regularly, but not really "training" for a race. I didn't PR or anything, but it was respectable and under my stated goal - by 6 seconds!

Congrats again Hal!

Thank Pedro! Congrats to you on your race! Hard to believe it was 9 years ago that you were helping me train for my first half (this was my 9th) :shock:
Hal

Postby NotBaker » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:17 am

Hal wrote:Hard to believe it was 9 years ago that you were helping me train for my first half (this was my 9th) :shock:

Wow. This. ^^

Congrats to you both!
Do it JL! :twisted:

During the summer, I started the Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 half marathon training plan. I didn't have any races on the horizon, but I wanted to give myself a little extra motivation and a set schedule to follow. And unlike past training plans, now that I own a bike I was able to mix it up a bit more on the cross days. There were definitely some days when I didn't want to run, and some days when I readjusted and rescheduled after being pretty sore. And I had a decent amount of tennis and mountain hiking in the mix too.

As it happened, the race I ran for my first half marathon was doing a virtual race this year -- and it was going to be their final year. Plus the virtual dates were right when I was hitting the end of my training plan. I missed the crowds/finish and my route was one that I'd run many times previous -- but it was great to get out there.

I've waned a bit since then, but am trying to keep going as much as I can while the weather is good.
NotBaker

Postby NotBaker » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:04 pm

BUMP!

I'm signed up for a half marathon in October, and I plan to officially start training in a couple weeks. It's a race that I've done before. Nice course but lots of hills. Hoping to do the Hal Higdon Intermediate 2, which will be my first time incorporating speed work. We'll see how it goes. I expect to be doing a fair amount of biking, mountain hiking, and tennis too, and hope I don't have to adjust/modify the plan much. I've been running and biking since Spring, just trying to make up for winter, get ready, and maintain.

Anyone else running these days?
NotBaker

Postby Hal » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:13 am

NotBaker wrote:
Anyone else running these days?

Yup! Been running consistently since last season. Doing 4-5 miles about 4 days a week. Starting to get into good form with some positive changes to my diet in the past month or so. I'm not planning on running any races this season. I bought a road bike last spring and I'm much more stoked on riding than I am on running. I try to ride twice a week now (20-45 miles). I consciously made the decision last year to miss out on some prime fall riding in order to train for my half marathon. Not sure that I would do the same this year. That could change though! :lol:

Just picked up a new pair of HOKA Clifton 7's. LOVE these shoes. Game-changer for this aching, almost 50-year-old.

Good luck with your training NotBaker!

Again, if any of you guys are on Strava, look me up: Mike Haller (Avon, CT)
Hal

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse