A band called G.L.O.S.S.

A band called G.L.O.S.S.

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:04 pm

So someone at work knows that I like "punk" music and sent me a link to a story that said the singer in GLOSS is transgender and a shoegazer band, Whirrl, recently talked mad shit about them on twitter and got kicked off their record label. I hadn't heard either band, so I listened to them both and actually liked them both, but GLOSS was really good raw punk rawk. Have some of you people that are more in the know heard of them? My co-worker's apparently know more about current bands than me.

https://girlslivingoutsidesocietysshit. ... m/releases

Too bad the Whirr band are (apparently) a bunch of fucking pricks cause I like what I heard:

FlexMyHead

Re: A band called G.L.O.S.S.

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:35 am

If you read what Whirr actually said it seems so tame and silly. I can't believe it upset people so much. But when a band can set up a hotline so people can call in and report incidents of "racism, sexism, classism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism..." at their shows, I throw my hands up.

http://pitchfork.com/news/61103-speedy- ... eir-shows/

This is someone else's world I live in now. All I can hope for is to help my son navigate it (rule no. 1 - do not talk shit about people online, no matter innocuous it may seem).
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby lakeannedave » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:11 am

The G.L.O.S.S. demo is the the best hardcore this year. So pissed. Outcast Stomp.

they played DC a couple weeks ago but I couldn't make it.
lakeannedave

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:29 am

scannest wrote:If you read what Whirr actually said it seems so tame and silly. I can't believe it upset people so much. But when a band can set up a hotline so people can call in and report incidents of "racism, sexism, classism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism..." at their shows, I throw my hands up.

http://pitchfork.com/news/61103-speedy- ... eir-shows/

This is someone else's world I live in now. All I can hope for is to help my son navigate it (rule no. 1 - do not talk shit about people online, no matter innocuous it may seem).

Also, the labels that "dropped" them, that's all publicity too. Whirr had prior releases on Run For Cover but weren't signed currently, so how can they be dropped? Then the other label that "dropped" them, in their statement said "we don't do contracts!" LOL
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:47 am

gregpolard wrote:Also, the labels that "dropped" them, that's all publicity too. Whirr had prior releases on Run For Cover but weren't signed currently, so how can they be dropped? Then the other label that "dropped" them, in their statement said "we don't do contracts!" LOL

Here's the thing - I don't think "publicity" enters into it. These kids think that they are sincerely doing the right thing, or at least saving face (that's different than publicity).
scannest

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:21 am

This was the link I was sent:

http://www.stereogum.com/1838505/label- ... -the-beef/

And I think the tweets about thinking the bands sucks or its a gimmic (boys in panties) is fine (to me at least) but the thing about "trans kids not doing suicide right" is a bit much?

While it made me laugh, the:

guitarist Nick Bassett commented on their internet activity: He said that any lost fans were a result of “weeding out the pussies

kinda summed up the band. Even if you think that, there are probably better ways of saying it in an interview, no?

Apparently in the "pop-punk scene" there has been quite a few bands sexually assaulting young fans or demanding they send them nudes etc, so maybe that is what that Hotline thing is about? I think it's just different being in a band now with all the social media shit, guys in bands have never been particularly smart and now it's even more apparent that they are fucking creepy and prey on their female fans. Shit has been going on forever and it stopping sometime would be nice!

Anyway, I dig G.L.O.S.S's DEMO and I bought it from Bandcamp, so something good came out of this!
FlexMyHead

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:06 am

FlexMyHead wrote:guys in bands have never been particularly smart

Ouch.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby drew » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:08 pm

[
Apparently in the "pop-punk scene" there has been quite a few bands sexually assaulting young fans or demanding they send them nudes etc, so maybe that is what that Hotline thing is about? I think it's just different being in a band now with all the social media shit, guys in bands have never been particularly smart and now it's even more apparent that they are fucking creepy and prey on their female fans. Shit has been going on forever and it stopping sometime would be nice![quote]

Knowing a bunch of ppl in touring bands over the years I've heard some f'd up stories ablout guys in bands you would never think were creepy or downright criminal in their behavior. One story about a supposedly clean-cut dude pretty much raping a 15 yr. old girl was just awful. The philosphy being that if they have to be in a van for months and suffer thru touring at least they can get some ass. Very lame.
drew

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:20 pm

I'm confused. If you're being harassed while Speedy Ortiz is performing, who's going to answer when you call the hotline?
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby the mean » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:45 pm

scannest wrote:If you read what Whirr actually said it seems so tame and silly. I can't believe it upset people so much.

You are very generous.
the mean

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:13 pm

the mean wrote:
scannest wrote:If you read what Whirr actually said it seems so tame and silly. I can't believe it upset people so much.

You are very generous.

I read "g.l.o.s.s. Is just a bunch of boys running around in panties making shitty music." That seemed pretty silly to me. I didn't read the suicide stuff.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:54 am

the mean wrote:

You are very generous.

It was pretty tame and silly. Unless you're some kind of PC thug, that is.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:25 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:It was pretty tame and silly. Unless you're some kind of PC thug, that is.

Who you callin' greasy?!
scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:43 am

That GLOSS stuff is pretty dope.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:43 am

I agree. If anything, the result of this was that I finally checked that band out and enjoy.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:43 pm

I approve to. Not bad.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Mark T. » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:07 pm

Totally diggin the GLOSS ! ! ! Thanks for posting ! ! !

Whirr, not so much.
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:30 am

New 5 song EP came out yesterday, great sounding older school punk that clash77 might even like (maybe).

https://girlslivingoutsidesocietysshit. ... of-revenge
FlexMyHead

Postby Bill » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:55 pm

I really like the band and the message, but I can't help but think a lot of the more "mainstream indie" attention they're getting is because of the vocally trans singer and message and not actually listening to the music aspect. I know more than a few people who don't give a shit about hardcore, and make fun of the modern day version especially, that all of a sudden were posting stuff on Facebook about G.L.O.S.S. after that Whirr thing went down and put the demo on their "best of" list but never made any attempt to listen to anything similar. It almost came off as a 'cool points' attempt.

There's nothing bad about positive portrayals and more light put onto trans-issues and all but from my perspective it is a bit fishy.

Because, you know, hardcore.
Bill

Return to daghouse