Goo Goo Dolls

Goo Goo Dolls

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:53 am

Been really into "Superstar Car Wash" and "A Boy Named Goo" lately. It's crazy how much weaker they got after those but I guess $$$$$
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Goo Goo Dolls

Postby creature » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:04 pm

Aside from a few songs, "Hold Me Up," "Car Wash" and "Goo" are a pretty good hat trick.
creature

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:09 pm

creature wrote:Aside from a few songs, "Hold Me Up," "Car Wash" and "Goo" are a pretty good hat trick.

Yeah! Hold Me Up rules too. My favorite is Car Wash, I don't think there's a bad song on there.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby creature » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:52 pm

!!! "Hold" and "Car Wash" are solid from start to finish.... "Goo" is the one with some throw-aways.
creature

Postby creature » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:53 pm

They also put on some raging gigs back in the day during the "Hold Me Up" era. Fun!
creature

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:00 pm

I dig Hold! just haven't listened to it nearly as much.
gregpolard

Postby Gary » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:10 pm

I like up to A Boy Named Goo,still some good songs after that but not nearly so much. Hold Me Up is my favourite.

Really need to get Jed it's the only one I want that I'm missing.
Gary

Postby jaybird » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:17 pm

The S/T and Jed are great too. Lost the plot with them after SSC.
jaybird

Postby creature » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:04 pm

jaybird wrote:The S/T and Jed are great too. Lost the plot with them after SSC.

I had the first two, as well, before "Hold" came out ... there's some good tunes on those, as well, but IMO not super solid.
creature

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:24 pm

From wiki:

They played around Buffalo's underground music circuit opening for punk bands such as SNFU, Dag Nasty, ALL, The Dead Milkmen, Gang Green, Doughboys, and DRI and playing with fellow Buffalo bands.

Hmmm was anyone at one of these shows?
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:10 pm

I saw them open for Gang Green and the Straw Dogs at the Rat in Boston. The first album had just come out and the bass player was the lead singer. They were good enough that I bought the album. I remember liking it, but I lost interest pretty quickly.

I still have the album. I think it's worth something now?
Hello.
pedro

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:36 pm

pedro wrote:I saw them open for Gang Green and the Straw Dogs at the Rat in Boston. The first album had just come out and the bass player was the lead singer. They were good enough that I bought the album. I remember liking it, but I lost interest pretty quickly.

I still have the album. I think it's worth something now?

Could be! I've never heard the first album. I think it's on Spotify. I like the current singer better, though I do enjoy when they would split vocal duties down the middle a la Superstar Car Wash.
gregpolard

Postby john stabb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:03 pm

The really early stuff had a bit more Replacements-edge to them but they got huge doing the ballads for terrible films like the American remake of Wings of Desire with Nicolas Cage & Meg Ryan. That one had it's wings & balls snipped.

The last thing I dug by Goos was their rendition of Soft Boys "I Wanna destroy You" on a WB Comp: Loss Leaders. Also had You Am I doing "We're Desperate" (X) & Shane McGowan "Cracklin' Rosie" (Neil Diamond). Pretty good CD for a 50 cent bin.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby john stabb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:06 pm

Oh, that comp also featured: Nick Cave w/ Flaming Lips @ Lollapalooza "It's a wonderful World". Only thing I can tolerate by the Lips because the singer's voice annoys me so. :roll:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:25 pm

john stabb wrote:The really early stuff had a bit more Replacements-edge to them but they got huge doing the ballads for terrible films like the American remake of Wings of Desire with Nicolas Cage & Meg Ryan. That one had it's wings & balls snipped.

The last thing I dug by Goos was their rendition of Soft Boys "I Wanna destroy You" on a WB Comp: Loss Leaders. Also had You Am I doing "We're Desperate" (X) & Shane McGowan "Cracklin' Rosie" (Neil Diamond). Pretty good CD for a 50 cent bin.

Definitely hear that re: Mats connection.
gregpolard

Postby ex-punker » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:16 am

I'm sorry. But I just can't bear to listen to them, whether it's fair or not. All I know is that song they're really famous for.
ex-punker

Postby crus » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:33 am

john stabb wrote:The really early stuff had a bit more Replacements-edge to them but they got huge doing the ballads for terrible films like the American remake of Wings of Desire with Nicolas Cage & Meg Ryan. That one had it's wings & balls snipped.

I've always wondered what would have happened if The Nightmare on Elm Street movie had been the movie that broke them to the bigtime instead of those lamer movies.
crus

Postby gregpolard » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:37 pm

crus wrote:

I've always wondered what would have happened if The Nightmare on Elm Street movie had been the movie that broke them to the bigtime instead of those lamer movies.

I forgot they were on that soundtrack! That's a good question though....they could've been Nirvana. haha
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:03 am

They were fun for awhile there - Replacements wanna-be's with a hot-shit metal guitarist was my genereal impression from the live show circa 'Hold Me Up'. I dug the covers with Lance Diamond, too.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:16 am

Speaking of the Mats connection, it's funny how in the Color Me Obsessed doc the Goo Goo Dolls dude is saying how when "Don't Tell A Soul" came out he threw the cd out the window because of how "different" it sounded....wonder how many people did that with them when "Dizzy Up The Girl" came out....
gregpolard

Postby tango fistula » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:09 am

Saw em a bunch between 1987-1989..usually 3 or 4 times a year.
Excellent fun band live...records always fell flat for me as I own Replacements
records and thus dont need Goo-Goo Dolls ones.
I was not at all surprised when they lamed out...some bands are destined for that.
tango fistula

Postby SamDBL » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:42 pm

jaybird wrote:The S/T and Jed are great too. Lost the plot with them after SSC.

I thought the S/T thing sucked, but I haven't heard it in years. I liked everything up to and including Dizzy Up The Girl. Although I'd consider them a guilty pleasure after Boy Named Goo. That dude's voice is pretty awesome and makes a lot of the songs for me. Like a polished up Westburg.
I remember having Hold Me Up and being a huge fan for years and years. They were a band I tried (unsuccessfully) to get in contact with back in the hey day of DBL, as I did with a lot of bands I was really into. I just remember thinking "Why the hell isn't this band bigger"? I remember when Dookie came out, I was convinced it would flop since the Goo Goo Dolls never 'made it' into the mainstream.
SamDBL

Return to daghouse