has anyone ever filed a complaint against their mailman?

has anyone ever filed a complaint against their mailman?

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:09 am

and what were the results of doing so? i live in an older apartment that has smaller panel boxes. my carrier is a lazy piece of shit. he bent a book to fit it in my mailbox and has left a couple of cds out in the open(there is a door that is locked that leads to 8 other apartments) and then he finally delivered an lp to the wrong apartment complex and left it outside of the door and i only caught it because i had tracking for it and was on the lookout for it. now i finally had a package get lost, it was a cd. it says it got delivered on the tracking, but i think someone just stole it as it was in plain view for what could have been several hours. i had left a note on my mailbox before saying please leave all packages with the apartment manager, and i left another after this happened. no surprise, i have called the post office twice and they say they are going to talk to the carrier and take down my info and never call me back. the last guy told me if i thought it was stolen i need to call the police. i firmly told him that the police were not going to do anything about a stolen cd. i doubt the guy is going to admit to leaving it out in the open, which is clearly against policy. i have been very civil when calling the post office, but i feel now i should just go down there and make a "federal case" of this. i get my apartment is a pain to deliver to if you can't even fit fucking cds in the box, but it is also part of his job to leave it with someone or try to deliver it again. i guess he could fuck with my mail, but what do i have to lose now? did anyone ever get any positive results or end up getting a new mail carrier?
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Re: has anyone ever filed a complaint against their mailman?

Postby MXV » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:53 pm

Your best bet would be to go to the post office and speak to someone in charge in person instead of over the phone. You'll likely get better results but it's kind of a long shot that they will do much about your situation. If you can somehow capture on video the carrier clearly violating the rules then you'd have a much stronger case. I say it is definitely worth a shot to go down there and speak to someone in person about it and how this piece of shit is now costing you money because of his unwillingness to do his job correctly.

Sadly your best course of action is to get a PO box at the post office of one of those mailboxes etc. type places. The upside is the security of no one being able to steal your mail but the downside is you are still going to lose money having to rent the thing.

I have been extremely fortunate that the mail carriers I've had for the last 20+ years have been really great about leaving my packages behind the bush next to my front step after I left a very nice note on my mailbox asking them to do it so the sun won't warp the records and they won't be out in plain sight. The only time anyone leaves it on the actual front step is when its a substitute carrier who doesn't know (the note hasn't been up in about 12 years now). Since you already tried the note method on yours there's not much you can do aside from going to the PO and making such a fuss that they will take action just to keep you from coming back. It may take you multiple visits depending on what kind of manager they have running that branch.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:01 pm

MXV wrote:Your best bet would be to go to the post office and speak to someone in charge in person instead of over the phone. You'll likely get better results but it's kind of a long shot that they will do much about your situation. If you can somehow capture on video the carrier clearly violating the rules then you'd have a much stronger case. I say it is definitely worth a shot to go down there and speak to someone in person about it and how this piece of shit is now costing you money because of his unwillingness to do his job correctly.

Sadly your best course of action is to get a PO box at the post office of one of those mailboxes etc. type places. The upside is the security of no one being able to steal your mail but the downside is you are still going to lose money having to rent the thing.

I have been extremely fortunate that the mail carriers I've had for the last 20+ years have been really great about leaving my packages behind the bush next to my front step after I left a very nice note on my mailbox asking them to do it so the sun won't warp the records and they won't be out in plain sight. The only time anyone leaves it on the actual front step is when its a substitute carrier who doesn't know (the note hasn't been up in about 12 years now). Since you already tried the note method on yours there's not much you can do aside from going to the PO and making such a fuss that they will take action just to keep you from coming back. It may take you multiple visits depending on what kind of manager they have running that branch.

yeah i figured i was kind of shit out of luck here. i have had sub guys leave shit at my door before, but it was always on a saturday and i knew it was not a continual thing. being ignored is kind of more of a slap in the face to me than leaving the shit out in the open. but my apt manager is literally around the corner from me and she has a mail slot in her door, so the guy is just a plain fucking asshole.
yourenotevil

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:20 pm

I used to work with carriers. Like MXV mentioned, your best bet is to find the carrier station and find his supervisor and register a complaint. As an employee, right now, customer appreciation is at a high right now with competition and the state that the P.O. is in right now.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:09 pm

ha, motherfucker rang my bell and delivered my package in person today. forget to ask him about the other cd since i was on the phone.
yourenotevil

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:47 pm

yourenotevil wrote:ha, motherfucker rang my bell and delivered my package in person today. forget to ask him about the other cd since i was on the phone.

Did you say thank you?
FormerLurker

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:56 pm

FormerLurker wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:ha, motherfucker rang my bell and delivered my package in person today. forget to ask him about the other cd since i was on the phone.

Did you say thank you?

yeah, but it was more automatic than anything else. as soon as he handed it to me he took off. i wouldn't be a dick to him if i had had time to talk to him though. i just would have asked him about the missing cd and to not leave them by the door anymore. if i have learned anything in life with customer service, you don't get anywhere by being an asshole on the phone or in person, esp when you are trying to get something rectified.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:04 am

I'm sorry to read this. We have the nicest mailman in the history of the world (sorry wretch!). He always says hi when we see him, remembers our names (and our son's as well) and is just a delight to be around. Oh and he always leaves packages underneath our doormat or under a chair on our porch so they're not in plain view and he knocks before leaving anything there. We have a mail slot, but it's on the small side so only letter-size stuff tends to fit through there.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:09 am

scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:07 am

the post office called me back. apparently leaving shit outside on a doorstep is their policy, at least around here. they told me to contact the sender. ironically, the mailman left one of those attempted delivery slips for a piece of certified mail. i guess they only do their job when it is a something like certified mail and they can't just throw it wherever. i hope they go out of business.
yourenotevil

Postby ex-punker » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:04 am

Did you order that cd off a big website like Amazon? If so, can be pretty easy to get them to send out another one.
ex-punker

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:37 am

ex-punker wrote:Did you order that cd off a big website like Amazon? If so, can be pretty easy to get them to send out another one.

yeah, they are going to send another one, but it took a bunch of emails and in the end it was not their fault at all.
yourenotevil

Postby patient_ot » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:36 pm

Your best bet is to start renting a P.O. Box. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but complaints against mail carriers seldom go anywhere. In my experience living in a few different cities in the U.S. and visiting relatives for extended periods of time, very urban areas and very rural areas often have mail issues. If you live in a building where a leasing office or such is required to sign for packages or sort mail into individual boxes you can also run into problems. One of my coworkers lost over $500 worth of stuff this way and her complaints went nowhere. She is using a P.O. Box now.
patient_ot

Postby seanTM » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:20 pm

A few years ago, I was within inches of beating my mailman to death. True story.
seanTM

Postby FormerLurker » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:47 pm

seanTM wrote:A few years ago, I was within inches of beating my mailman to death. True story.

LOOL. Details?
FormerLurker

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:49 am

Like 4 years ago, I got into a MAJOR bout with my mailman who kept leaving my packages in the lobby. I lost football Jerseys and records.

File a complaint. According to the USPS, he cannot get a raise or promoted with a lot of complaints.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:09 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Like 4 years ago, I got into a MAJOR bout with my mailman who kept leaving my packages in the lobby. I lost football Jerseys and records.

File a complaint. According to the USPS, he cannot get a raise or promoted with a lot of complaints.

what was the result of you doing that? how heated did it get? this guy is pretty old and i imagine he has to be within a couple of years or closer to retiring. i doubt he gives a fuck about doing his job and has always been a shitty mailman. i doubt what you say about complaining is true, since the USPS has a union like MLB and from what i have been reading online those guys have been seen driving drunk on the job and hitting cars and nothing ever happens to them. a package is supposed to come today. if he leaves it in the open i am going to rip him a new fucking asshole and just get a p.o. box i guess.like i said, i hope these fuckers go under and the gov't doesn't bail them out next time. shipping packages is the only reason why i ever use the mail anyway and it might as well go to a private/for profit industry at this point. at least those guys would prolly care about their job a little more if they could get fired for doing stuff like this.
yourenotevil

Postby patient_ot » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:47 pm

I can tell you that public or private, it makes little difference in the quality of the package delivery. I've had bad experiences with UPS and FedEx as well. I've had packages turn up crushed, water-damaged, huge boxes of furniture left outside when I specifically instructed not to deliver unless I sign, etc. Bottom line is that these guys have hundreds and in some cases thousands of pieces of mail and packages to deliver each day. A lot of them just don't care. Whether or not they want to do a good job really comes down to the individual worker.
patient_ot

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:35 pm

patient_ot wrote:I can tell you that public or private, it makes little difference in the quality of the package delivery. I've had bad experiences with UPS and FedEx as well. I've had packages turn up crushed, water-damaged, huge boxes of furniture left outside when I specifically instructed not to deliver unless I sign, etc. Bottom line is that these guys have hundreds and in some cases thousands of pieces of mail and packages to deliver each day. A lot of them just don't care. Whether or not they want to do a good job really comes down to the individual worker.

yeah, but at least you can get a shitty delivery guy from ups fired, at least if you film it like that guy who had the security camera of the dude who just chucked a tv over his gate. at least a private company has more incentive to please the customer and reprimand/terminate a lousy employee. a government run business cares fuck all about customer service and hides behind a union. as far as personal experience goes with fed ex and ups, those guys always leave an attempted delivery note or always delivered a package to my apartment manager. i have never had a problem with them. i have dealt with shitty USPS workers in every city i have lived in, however.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:52 pm

I feel lucky that I have a pretty decent post-person/post office.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:46 pm

straight up ready to kill this motherfucker. was supposed to get a package today, so he leaves a fucking slip saying i have to pick it up at the post office when he saw the damn note i left before saying please leave it with the apartment manager. he has to give her mail anyway, i don't see what the damn problem is, and now he is just trying to piss me off, and succeeding. if i had seen that guy today i would have punched him in the fucking face.
yourenotevil

Return to daghouse