Pussy Galore reviewed in Trouser Press Guide

Pussy Galore reviewed in Trouser Press Guide

Postby john stabb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:36 am

Man, I love an incredibly scathing review the way Gerard Cosloy used to do in his zine "Conflict". Trouser Press speak to me. This one on one of the most overrated band on the planet via the 80's is perfect.

"The aesthetic dilemma presented by intentionally offensive and/or consciously anti-musical groups is probably best settled by a critical rumble in the alley. There's certainly no rational way to discuss the potential merits of a record like this Washington, DC aim-to-offend quartet's four-song 7-inch debut (Feel Good About Your Body) or the eight-song 12-inch Groovy Hate Fuck, a raucous one-take no-rehearsal guitar-army tossoff. Setting the question of their atrocious non-musicianship aside, self-consciously puerile compositions like "Teen Pussy Power," "Cunt Tease" and "Dead Meat" are nothing more than smears of self-satisfied juvenilia. You're supposed to be repulsed by Pussy Galore, but that certainly doesn't make this pathetic effluvia worth hearing. Cheap thrills for vulgar sissies.

Relocating to New York and adding a fifth member, Jon Spencer and his crew issued two limited-edition cassettes at the end of 1986: an infamous home-brew version of Exile on Main St (in its entirety) and a live set called 1 Yr. Live.

With ex-Sonic Youth drummer-turned-metal-pounder Bob Bert in the lineup along with stalwarts Julia Cafritz (guitar, vocals), Neil Hagerty (guitar, vocals, organ) and Cristina (Martinez; guitar, organ), the five-song Pussy Gold 5000 12-inch displays improved — not good, but better — playing and sound. On the studio tracks, that is. The live "No Count" is as wretched as ever. It's still trash, but not quite as rank as before." :lol:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Re: Pussy Galore reviewed in Trouser Press Guide

Postby danny » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:21 am

yeah. i never understood the PG love. well...perhaps there were one or two reasons to like them...
danny

Return to daghouse