Sisters of Mercy

Sisters of Mercy

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:33 am

World's End inspired me to check them out. I like some of their stuff. It's more hard rockin' than I thought it would be.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Re: Sisters of Mercy

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:36 am

No.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:44 am

Awesome band. I just sold my Sisters of Mercy shirt I've had for 10 years the other day.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:53 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:No.

Yes.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:54 am

gregpolard wrote:Awesome band. I just sold my Sisters of Mercy shirt I've had for 10 years the other day.

I've always liked you, Greg. Out of curiosity, how much are used shirts fetching these days?
xxxHunterxxx

Postby Pffft » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:43 pm

The rule is if Midge doesn't like something you're golden.
Pffft

Postby gregpolard » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:49 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Awesome band. I just sold my Sisters of Mercy shirt I've had for 10 years the other day.

I've always liked you, Greg. Out of curiosity, how much are used shirts fetching these days?

I actually sold about 7 of my t shirts to a friend for $60 total. I wonder what the shirt would fetch but it wasn't an original or anything. My XL shirts are way too big for me now so they were (literally) taking up space!

Also, Sisters...I like all 3 LP's but my favorite might still be the first one.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:16 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:

old hardcore and metal shirts can go for hundreds. sxe/nyhc shit tends to go pretty high. my friend sold her old mags shirt for six bills.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Michele » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:27 pm

I Always loved the sisters of mercy, specially first and last and Always that's one of my alltime faves in that scene.
not too much in the later stuff, more goth/dance oriented to my ears than the tracks I used to love.
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:49 pm

I dig all their stuff up to Vision Thing, as ridiculous and overwrought as some of it can be, but I'm probably one of the few who likes Vision Thing best.

The one time I saw them live, though, I was deeply disappointed. It was in 2006, though, so it was obviously long past Eldtrich's prime.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:39 pm

The early EP's are pretty good but to me "This Corrosion" w/ Patricia Morrison aka Patricia Vanian is the best song SoM concocted. But I had the displeasure of seeing Andrew Eldritch humping a mic-stand the entire time & basically a rhythm box onstage @ old 9:30 club in early 80's. Boring & less than entertaining. And it was a cheat, even for free. Also, I prefer Laibach's rendition of "Sympathy for the Devil" over SoM.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby Michele » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:41 pm

yes, this corrosion is a great song, inspite I prefer early stuff
Michele

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:01 am

JGJR wrote:I dig all their stuff up to Vision Thing, as ridiculous and overwrought as some of it can be, but I'm probably one of the few who likes Vision Thing best.

The one time I saw them live, though, I was deeply disappointed. It was in 2006, though, so it was obviously long past Eldtrich's prime.

What do they have after Vision Thing besides a song here and there?
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:28 am

john stabb wrote:The early EP's are pretty good but to me "This Corrosion" w/ Patricia Morrison aka Patricia Vanian is the best song SoM concocted. But I had the displeasure of seeing Andrew Eldritch humping a mic-stand the entire time & basically a rhythm box onstage @ old 9:30 club in early 80's. Boring & less than entertaining. And it was a cheat, even for free. Also, I prefer Laibach's rendition of "Sympathy for the Devil" over SoM.

It's hard to argue that they have a better moment than "This Corrosion" and your impression of their live set matches mine. I've never heard their version of that Stones song, but their cover of The Stooges '1969" is pretty bad-ass!

JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:29 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:I dig all their stuff up to Vision Thing, as ridiculous and overwrought as some of it can be, but I'm probably one of the few who likes Vision Thing best.

What do they have after Vision Thing besides a song here and there?

Good point, but I think there is a unreleased Lp from the '90s that I've never heard. I just meant that I've never heard anything after Vision Thing.
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:04 am

I sit corrected (but surprised not even SoM's biggest new fan, Hunter, caught this. SoM never covered "Sympathy for the Devil" but did do "Gimme Shelter". And their Stooges cover is very good. Those EP's were quite intense, JGJR. I never checked out Vision but felt bored with SoM after Patricia split to just be Mrs. Vanian.
john stabb

Postby john stabb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:24 am

I love the reviews in Trouser Press & their info on musicians is brilliant :!: The biting words of Eldritch towards leaving bandmembers. Check this out about SoM:

"While advancing an anti-fashionist philosophy, Eldritch had nonetheless cultivated a posture for the band. A live German bootleg gives some indication of where he's coming from: mainly reworkings of oldies, the Sisters draw on the canons of Dolly Parton and Hot Chocolate as well as the Stooges and Stones. Regrettably, the other members of the group became, as Eldritch (only partly tongue-in-cheek) put it, "distorted little creatures with black teeth...set on making a career." Guitarist Wayne Hussey (who'd come to the Sisters from an early edition of Dead or Alive) and bassist Craig Adams formed the pose-heavy Mission (UK). Co-founding guitarist Gary Marx went on to form Ghost Dance with ex-Skeletal Family vocalist Anne-Marie."

Btw - I'd love to hear that bootleg of him doing Dolly Parton & can't stand The Mission. Who likes them here?
john stabb

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:15 am

THE SISTERS OF MERCY of one of my all time faves. I loved the early stuff w/ Marx, Hussey, Adams and a'hem Doktor Avalanche (I'm sure some of you get the joke.) Love the early e.p.'s and "First And Last And Always," which would make all time fave album list. I thought "Floodland" was great in it's own way and a lot more darker than previous. "Vision Thing" was the prototype that all Goth Metal acts especially TYPE O NEGATIVE would be influenced by. Seriously, you knew there was a metal influence when you have Chris Tsangarides (THIN LIZZY, JUDAS PRIEST, ANVIL) producing the album.

I saw both nights of that tour in SF w/ Tony James on bass and it was great. I saw the revamped SISTERS 3x after that and the second to the most recent was retarded. Obviously Eldritch marches to the beat of his own drum and the stage setting was completely dark and a lot of smoke machine. you couldn't even see the band. The most recent performance of memory was a lot better since it was in a smaller venue.

To answer stabb's question, I love the MISSION UK also. "God's Own Medicine" would be the only one I'd classify as goth as "Children" and "Carved In Sand" too a more LED ZEPPELIN/U2 influence.

btw, I'm hoping to see THE MISSION next Friday in SF.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:35 am

john stabb wrote:
Btw - I'd love to hear that bootleg of him doing Dolly Parton & can't stand The Mission. Who likes them here?

I do, though like Sisters of Mercy, the one time I saw them (in the early '00s) they were awful. I think wretch and earthdog are fans, too, though.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:36 am

WrEtcH wrote:THE SISTERS OF MERCY of one of my all time faves. I loved the early stuff w/ Marx, Hussey, Adams and a'hem Doktor Avalanche (I'm sure some of you get the joke.) .

Meh. Roland and Echo crush DA. :lol:
JGJR

Postby wALLton » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Love The Mish, so many great albums, and like The Sisters too, but their songs all seem to be 3 minutes too long. Why write more songs when you can just repeat the verse and chorus a few more times and make up the time? Hussey clearly had the majority of the ideas when he was in The Sisters, and Eldrich seems to have run out of them. The Mission still bring it live, The Sisters... not so much.
wALLton

Postby Pffft » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:39 pm

Yeah I'm pro mission UK
Pffft

Postby Michele » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:58 am

why do you refer to The Mission UK? are there also The MIssion USA? I'm trying to remember but my memory fails ;)
Michele

Postby wALLton » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:28 am

Michele wrote:why do you refer to The Mission UK? are there also The MIssion USA? I'm trying to remember but my memory fails ;)

Apparently there is a Mission "USA", as the English band had to release their albums in the US as "The Mission UK". Never heard of them though, so they can't be very "big".
wALLton

Postby Pffft » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:54 pm

Yeah.. Some R&B band in PA named the mission
Pffft

Return to daghouse