The World's End

The World's End

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:32 pm

We got let out of work early so I caught a matinee of this today. It was really entertaining. Great soundtrack as well -- lots of Madchester and Britpop, no shoegaze.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Re: The World's End

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:44 pm

I think you mean Britpoop. Big Oasis fan, are you?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:45 pm

version sound wrote:I think you mean Britpoop. Big Oasis fan, are you?

Oasis are alright. I prefer Pulp.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:12 pm

Why am I not surprised that you are championing the only fake genre more scurrilous than Baggy? The whole concept was just a way to lump together bands whose most interesting trait was their nationality. I saw Blur when they were still 2nd wave Baggy. I left maybe 5 songs into their set. Boooooring. Pulp, jah help them, are even more tedious.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:39 pm

version sound wrote:Why am I not surprised that you are championing the only fake genre more scurrilous than Baggy? The whole concept was just a way to lump together bands whose most interesting trait was their nationality. I saw Blur when they were still 2nd wave Baggy. I left maybe 5 songs into their set. Boooooring. Pulp, jah help them, are even more tedious.

all of that stuff is really fucking horrible.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:41 pm

version sound wrote:Why am I not surprised that you are championing the only fake genre more scurrilous than Baggy? The whole concept was just a way to lump together bands whose most interesting trait was their nationality. I saw Blur when they were still 2nd wave Baggy. I left maybe 5 songs into their set. Boooooring. Pulp, jah help them, are even more tedious.

I don't have much use for Blur beyond Song #2. Obviously, you don't understand Pulp.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:50 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:

I don't have much use for Blur beyond Song #2. Obviously, you don't understand Pulp.

I understand that their music is awful and that they've been hanging around since 1978 waiting for a genre vague and bland enough for them to fit into. I guess since 8th wave glam was never really a thing, Britpop is a perfect fit.
Last edited by version sound on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:51 pm

Oasis 'Morning Glory' is my 2nd most listened to album start to finish. Hundreds of plays.

Only 2nd to Marillion's "Fugazi" LP
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:52 pm

version sound wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

I understand that their music is awful and that they've been hanging around since 1978 waiting for a genre vague and bland enough for them to fit into. Britpop is a perfect fit.

Being so wrong about everything must be exhausting.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:53 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
version sound wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

I understand that their music is awful and that they've been hanging around since 1978 waiting for a genre vague and bland enough for them to fit into. Britpop is a perfect fit.

You make it look pretty effortless.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:56 pm

version sound wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
version sound wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

Puhllease. I discovered Franz Ferdinand.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby obik » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:00 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
version sound wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

And I blew him up.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:04 pm

Back on topic, I really want to see that movie.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:14 pm

am i the only one that thinks these guys aint that funny? this movie actually looks okay, but hot fuzz, shaun of the dead and that alien movie were all mediocre, at best.
yourenotevil

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:16 pm

version sound wrote:Back on topic, I really want to see that movie.

It's good. I liked it more than Hot Fuzz and about as much as Shaun of the Dead.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby James » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:41 pm

yourenotevil wrote:am i the only one that thinks these guys aint that funny? this movie actually looks okay, but hot fuzz, shaun of the dead and that alien movie were all mediocre, at best.

Are you a fan of British humour? I'm not saying they are the funniest things to come out the UK, but I like their movies. Can't wait to see this one. I tried watching Spaced and couldn't get into it though.
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:44 pm

James wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:am i the only one that thinks these guys aint that funny? this movie actually looks okay, but hot fuzz, shaun of the dead and that alien movie were all mediocre, at best.

Are you a fan of British humour? I'm not saying they are the funniest things to come out the UK, but I like their movies. Can't wait to see this one. I tried watching Spaced and couldn't get into it though.

for the most part, no. maybe that explains it. they seem to be going for broader type of comedy appeal though.
yourenotevil

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:51 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
James wrote:

for the most part, no. maybe that explains it. they seem to be going for broader type of comedy appeal though.

The movies are all kinda stupid but I enjoy them nevertheless.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:52 pm

I liked Hot Fuzz and Spaced. I don't like zombies, but I liked Shaun of the Dead as much as I could like any zombie movie.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:58 pm

Blur got A LOT better later on. I actually like a lot of Brit-pop. Sure, I hate how the UK press turned on shoegaze in order to prop-up Brit-pop, but nevertheless some of the music classified under that banner (mid-period Blur, the first few Oasis records, et al.) was quite good IMO. My favorite record of the entire genre (and one of my mid '90s favorites in general) is Lush's Lovelife, though.

Baggy was terrible IMO (all of it).

I've never been able to really get into Pulp, but I saw Jarvis Cocker play a festival in Chicago once and he was terrific.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:00 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:

And obviously, you don't understand Blur. Anyone (like yourself, I presume, from the above) who likes A Different Class should be able to appreciate at least Parklife and especially The Great Escape. I dig "Song 2," but it's a novelty hit like "Girls and Boys." The better stuff is hidden on the albums.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:02 pm

obik wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
version sound wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

And I blew him up.

How old are you then? That was almost 100 years ago, pal. :lol:
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:09 pm

JGJR wrote:My favorite record of the entire genre (and one of my mid '90s favorites in general) is Lush's Lovelife, though.

This is exactly why "Britpop" is load of bullshit. Bands like Lush and Ride suddenly stopped being whatever they were before Britpop existed and got lumped into this made up genre just so the dickwad UK music press could keep repping them. Britpop can suck my dick.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:14 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:My favorite record of the entire genre (and one of my mid '90s favorites in general) is Lush's Lovelife, though.

This is exactly why "Britpop" is load of bullshit. Bands like Lush and Ride suddenly stopped being whatever they were before Britpop existed and got lumped into this made up genre just so the dickwad UK music press could keep repping them. Britpop can suck my dick.

Ride and Lush weren't Britoop, they were shoegaze. Lush were the best of the shoegazers.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:47 am

Lush weren't shoegaze either. They pre-dated that too. Before it got expanded to every band that ever heard a MBV record, shoegaze was just a few bands from Oxford (aka The Scene That Celebrates Itself).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:39 pm

JGJR wrote:
obik wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
version sound wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

And I blew him up.

How old are you then? That was almost 100 years ago, pal. :lol:

I sometimes forget how young some of you kids are.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby JGJR » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:36 pm

version sound wrote:

As a genre and especially as a movement, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that I like some of the records that came out of that time period, etc.
JGJR

Postby Gary » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:09 pm

I'd say mediocre is generous.
Gary

Postby version sound » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:18 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:

As a genre and especially as a movement, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that I like some of the records that came out of that time period, etc.

Just because it came out in the mid/late '90s doesn't make it Britpop. I challenge any of you to tell me exactly what makes a band Britpop.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby James » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:25 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:

Just because it came out in the mid/late '90s doesn't make it Britpop. I challenge any of you to tell me exactly what makes a band Britpop.

Playing pop music and being from Britain?
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby version sound » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:31 pm

According to Wikipedia, it was Blur and Elastica's attempt to get away from American influence, and back to a more British sound. You know, REAL British music, like the Beatles and the Kinks...who based their entire sound on American R&B and rock'n'roll. Fuck all those idiots (Blur, et al, not the Beatles or Kinks).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby john stabb » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:30 am

Love me some Parklife-era Blur & the more Kinks-y songs like "Country House", early Elastica (with their blatant cop on Stranglers/Wire!), 1st 2 Oasis albums (they always came across to me as "Sex Pistols meets the Beatles in a Pub-scrap"), Pulp "Different Class"- some really witty but scathing songs about rich kids slumming "Common People" & stupid kids drugged out in festivals "Sorted out on e's & whiz". I think Cocker is a pretty clever writer as well as a huge Scott Walker admirer. Which in my book, speaks volumes. Also dig early Ride, Lush, Primal Scream, MBV. I'd say I like a bunch of britpop & shoe gazer-stuff.

But I don't like Shaun of Dead, Hot Fuzz, and the only amusing moments in Paul were from Seth Rogen's alien. Doubt I'll check out World's End even if it has a cool soundtrack. :roll:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby earthdog70 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:06 pm

Oasis only with Noel writing the tunes. Any other band member taking a shot was pretty 2nd rate.

Love Ride and Swervedriver. Happy Mondays are boring :roll:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:04 pm

john stabb wrote:Love me some Parklife-era Blur & the more Kinks-y songs like "Country House", early Elastica (with their blatant cop on Stranglers/Wire!), 1st 2 Oasis albums (they always came across to me as "Sex Pistols meets the Beatles in a Pub-scrap"), Pulp "Different Class"- some really witty but scathing songs about rich kids slumming "Common People" & stupid kids drugged out in festivals "Sorted out on e's & whiz". I think Cocker is a pretty clever writer as well as a huge Scott Walker admirer. Which in my book, speaks volumes. Also dig early Ride, Lush, Primal Scream, MBV. I'd say I like a bunch of britpop & shoe gazer-stuff.

This is just about perfect, though Oasis always came across as more early '70s glam influenced to me than what they typically get lumped in with.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:05 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Oasis only with Noel writing the tunes. Any other band member taking a shot was pretty 2nd rate.

Love Ride and Swervedriver. Happy Mondays are boring :roll:

And earthdog for the exclamation point. Agreed on all counts!
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:09 pm

I hear what Edog & JGJR are saying. Liam writes shit-songs so it's always Noelasis when it came to the tunes. But I prefer Liam's singing Oasis songs in Beady Eye (not that BE puts out good albums, just has better musicians joining Liam). Noel's Flying Birds is way too Coldplay-ish for me.

And there are definitely 70's Glam-influences in Oasis, for sure. I seriously don't think Oasis (1st 2 albums + a few b-sides) shouldn't be written off that easily.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:21 am

john stabb wrote:I hear what Edog & JGJR are saying. Liam writes shit-songs so it's always Noelasis when it came to the tunes. But I prefer Liam's singing Oasis songs in Beady Eye (not that BE puts out good albums, just has better musicians joining Liam). Noel's Flying Birds is way too Coldplay-ish for me.

And there are definitely 70's Glam-influences in Oasis, for sure. I seriously don't think Oasis (1st 2 albums + a few b-sides) shouldn't be written off that easily.

Yep. Noel doing the writing and guitar slinging, Liam on vocals! I didn't mean to imply otherwise! And yeah, their early stuff is undeniably great IMO!

The one time I saw Oasis (on the Be Here Now tour to a half-full arena in NJ; glad I got free tickets for that one as it was awful), the highlight was Noel's solo set and in particular his version of The Jam's "To Be Someone."
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:04 pm

I saw the movie and enjoyed it quite a bit. What Hunter failed to mention is that the best song on the soundtrack is by The Sundays.

Reading, Writing and Arithmetic > all baggy/Madchester/shoegaze
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:27 pm

version sound wrote:I saw the movie and enjoyed it quite a bit. What Hunter failed to mention is that the best song on the soundtrack is by The Sundays.

No way. The best song is "This Corrosion." The Sundays are annoying.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:51 pm

version sound wrote:I saw the movie and enjoyed it quite a bit. What Hunter failed to mention is that the best song on the soundtrack is by The Sundays.

I quite like that record, too, but let's not carried away here. I'll give you baggy and most of Madchester, but better than Stone Roses or the best shoegaze? I'm not buying that.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Define "best shoegaze" remembering that MBV are not shoegaze, they just influenced it a lot, and that Swervedriver were initially lumped in with that scene, but pretty much only circa Raise. Even if you include those two bands, I think that record is better than any of theirs. It absolutley holds up better than the S/T Stone Roses record too, and I say that as someone who totally loves the Stone Roses. I'll take The Smiths, The Sundays, JAMC, The Primitives, The Wedding Present, and House of Love over any of that stuff.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby crus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:34 pm

I liked Shaun of The Dead but I like a lot of the material 2000AD comics publish. Hot Fuzz's most memorable moments were the references to American movies the fat bumbling cop made.
crus

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:32 am

version sound wrote:Define "best shoegaze" remembering that MBV are not shoegaze, they just influenced it a lot, and that Swervedriver were initially lumped in with that scene, but pretty much only circa Raise. Even if you include those two bands, I think that record is better than any of theirs. It absolutley holds up better than the S/T Stone Roses record too, and I say that as someone who totally loves the Stone Roses. I'll take The Smiths, The Sundays, JAMC, The Primitives, The Wedding Present, and House of Love over any of that stuff.

You really think Reading, Writing and Arithmetic is better than Mezcal Head or Ejector Seat Reservation? I know we're comparing apples and oranges here, but I most definitely do not.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:21 am

I do not consider those records shoegaze. Raise maybe, but not those two. I would say that those two are about equal to RW&A. In a gun-to-head situation, I'd probably get shot for taking too long to pick one.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby SPACELOVE » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:09 am

This movie really surprised me. My friends talked me into going and even though I liked Shaun of the Dead I wasn't a huge fan of Hot Fuzz and thought Paul was just okay. This movie was awesome and probably better than SOTD. The storyline before the "network" plot really holds the entire thing together. I loved Gary King's character and I know a ton of people clinging a little too hard to their past and wearing the same clothes they owned in high school. Being a fan of sisters of mercy, happy Mondays, Pulp, stone roses, the Sundays, etc really helped immerse me in their world and buy the robot-alien twist half way through. So many great one liners like "drinking fucking RAIN!" and all the "thatd be a good band name, write that down" stuff was pretty funny as well. I wish I could remember all the band names like "teenage blanks" and such. Even the action sequences were unique and hilariously gratuitous. I don't normally go for action these days unless its the obligatory batman or avengers movie but this one got me stoked for Edgar Wrights Antman movie that's been in the works forever. Can't wait for the bluray to watch deleted scenes and gag reel shit. 8/10 for the genre.
SPACELOVE

Return to daghouse