Top 20 Hardcore Albums [L.A. Weekly]

Re: Top 20 Hardcore Albums [L.A. Weekly]

Postby Chris Shary » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Wrong.
Chris Shary

Postby version sound » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:34 pm

Didn't they run this before? They got two out of twenty right. Good work.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Check out the Cherie Currie article on this site and you'll find out why a Runaways reunion is not happening. Cherie's record with Matt Sorum is not coming out because:

Kenny Laguna is an a**hole.

Then check out the Joan Jett interview where it must have been a phone interview and he interjects when he hears something he doesn't like-totally lame. :roll:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby john stabb » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:08 am

:oops: Who are these fucking idiots who pick the groups for this list & why don't they just let Henry (who is clued in to a little thing called Punk/Hardcore) just do them :?: Henry's obviously got a decent list on Best Punk Bands so let's see what he comes up w/ in H/C. GRANTED, these are only people's choices but if it wasn't for listing Minor Threat-Out of Step, Bad Brains-S/T & ROS-S/T, I'd personally have a good pal of mine in L.A. (it still seems like a good idea ...) forward a huge box of dog/cat/whatever shit to the writers on this list. And for leaving out TSOL-Dance with Me & G.I.-You ... the shitbox is sounding really good. :twisted:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby john stabb » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:13 am

And for all you Misfits-fans, didja notice how Henry or the 2 useless L.A. Weekly writers didn't choose 1 Misfits album on their list :?: :!: Because even they truly know how much THE MISFITS SUCK :!: :lol:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:20 am

But they didn't choose Out of Step, they chose the 2 7"s on a 12", which isn't even an album.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:11 am

My main problem with this list is that it's all over the place, taking 30-35 years of music from different scenes, countries, etc. and trying to consolidate it. One could easily do a Top 20 list for early to mid '80s DC hardcore just by itself and that's just one example.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:56 am

JGJR wrote:My main problem with this list is that it's all over the place, taking 30-35 years of music from different scenes, countries, etc. and trying to consolidate it.

They were making a list of their top 20 hardcore albums of all time, not their top 200 SoCal hardcore records from 1983.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby Knutsen » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:47 pm

Proof that non of these list making idiots have any clue about hardcore is that they never list:

RKL Rock'n Roll Nightmare
and
Die Kreuzen s/t.

Those albums are unfuckwithable.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby MXV » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:05 pm

This list is even more inaccurate than the one JeffB did a couple of years ago that I gave him a bunch of shit about.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:38 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Check out the Cherie Currie article on this site and you'll find out why a Runaways reunion is not happening.

I'm reading Cherie Currie's autobiography now. She doesn't come across as particularly likable during her stint in the Runaways but she was a teenager from a dysfunctional family and Kim Fowley treated the band like crap.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:40 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:Check out the Cherie Currie article on this site and you'll find out why a Runaways reunion is not happening.

I'm reading Cherie Currie's autobiography now. She doesn't come across as particularly likable during her stint in the Runaways but she was a teenager from a dysfunctional family and Kim Fowley treated the band like crap.

that book is pretty good, for that kind of thing with a co author. she has been through a lot of rough stuff. i guess she is a hardcore christian/right winger these days. and yeah, fowley was just a piece of shit. i wish they had made the movie more brutal and realistic as to what really went on.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:45 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

that book is pretty good, for that kind of thing with a co author. she has been through a lot of rough stuff. i guess she is a hardcore christian/right winger these days. and yeah, fowley was just a piece of shit. i wish they had made the movie more brutal and realistic as to what really went on.

It's crazy how checked out her family was. She was 15 and they signed her over to Fowley and sent her out on the road.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:59 pm

I got sick after page 3.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:59 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I got sick after page 3.

here lies G warrior. he had the stomach for horrible marillion records and metal bands attempt at techno, but could not take the life of cherie currie with the same amount of grit.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:53 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

Yeah, the Runaways movie unfortunately really sucked in that it wasted some good performances from Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning by whitewashing the real (much more messed up) history of that band, including the abuse they suffered at the hands of Fowley. In order to get the full story, you really have to see Edgeplay, the documentary that Joan Jett didn't approve, so there's no Runaways music in it.

I didn't know Curie was a right-winger now, but have heard about her chainsaw art.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:54 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:My main problem with this list is that it's all over the place, taking 30-35 years of music from different scenes, countries, etc. and trying to consolidate it.

They were making a list of their top 20 hardcore albums of all time, not their top 200 SoCal hardcore records from 1983.

Well, it is still woefully inaccurate then. Earth Crisis? Puh-leez.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:43 am

That Earth Crisis 7" is awesome.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Michele » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:19 am

is this list for serious??? naaaah :lol:
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Return to daghouse