The verdict is in . . .

The verdict is in . . .

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:45 am

The Madchester sound >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> shoegaze
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Re: The verdict is in . . .

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:54 am

You are insane. The only Madchester band worth half a shit was the Stone Roses. Happy Mondays are good for a laugh.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:19 am

version sound wrote:You are insane. The only Madchester band worth half a shit was the Stone Roses. Happy Mondays are good for a laugh.

This, though I've come to appreciate Happy Mondays a bit (mainly Pills n Thrills n Bellyaches) in more recent years (I really disliked them at the time). But to say that Madchester or baggy or any of that garbage is better than shoegaze, wow. When Hunter is right, he's really right, but when's wrong, that's when midge has to step in. :lol:

Either that or he's just trying to get us agitated a bit and we took the bait?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:29 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:You are insane. The only Madchester band worth half a shit was the Stone Roses. Happy Mondays are good for a laugh.

This, though I've come to appreciate Happy Mondays a bit (mainly Pills n Thrills n Bellyaches) in more recent years (I really disliked them at the time). But to say that Madchester or baggy or any of that garbage is better than shoegaze, wow. When Hunter is right, he's really right, but when's wrong, that's when midge has to step in. :lol:

Your recent activity in the Jane's Addiction thread has disqualified both of you from opining about music on this board. Please confine your posts to discussions about the relative size of United States cities.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:33 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Your recent activity in the Jane's Addiction thread has disqualified both of you from opining about music on this board. Please confine your posts to discussions about the relative size of United States cities.

Jane's Addiction >>>>any Madchester band other than The Stone Roses

And that's just a stone cold fact, jack.

I mean, name one other band worth a shit in that genre. Seriously?
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:57 am

JGJR wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Jane's Addiction >>>>any Madchester band other than The Stone Roses

And that's just a stone cold fact, jack.
I mean, name one other band worth a shit in that genre. Seriously?

Jane's Addiction suck. It was pretentious twaddle for people who watched MTV and didn't realize there was real underground music out there.

Happy Mondays are great. Charlatans and James are both enjoyable.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:11 pm

Happy Mondays were entertaining. That other stuff was just Style Council set to the Funky Drummer. Wait a sec...now it all makes sense.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby pedro » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Buzzcocks
Magazine
Joy Division
The Smiths

That's the list.

EDIT: I guess I can give xxxHunterxxx The Fall. I like them, but don't love them.

2nd EDIT: I thought this thread was going to be about xxxWhitey Bulgerxxx.
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:43 pm

pedro wrote:Buzzcocks
Magazine
Joy Division
The Smiths

That's the list.

EDIT: I guess I can give xxxHunterxxx The Fall. I like them, but don't love them.

Madchester, not Manchester. I love all of those bands, but your reading comprehension is, shall I say, lacking.

And The Fall belong on there and you know it.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:24 pm

JGJR wrote:
Magazine
Joy Division
The Smiths

That's the list.

Madchester, not Manchester. I love all of those bands, but your reading comprehension is, shall I say, lacking.

I suspect that joke tag might come in handy here too. In my experience, pedro doesn't make mistakes, just jokes that are subtle enough to fly over a lot of people's heads.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby pedro » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:20 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Magazine
Joy Division
The Smiths

That's the list.

I suspect that joke tag might come in handy here too. In my experience, pedro doesn't make mistakes, just jokes that are subtle enough to fly over a lot of people's heads.

Well, if it was a joke, it wasn't funny (and I got it, but how do I know if he was joking). Whatevs, though. The Hooters joke wasn't funny, either. Plus, I have no idea why he might have posted that other than as a knock against Philly or something.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:28 pm

I think you read too much into silly jokes, which might be one reason you don't find them funny.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:43 pm

version sound wrote:I think you read too much into silly jokes, which might be one reason you don't find them funny.

Who me? Overanalyze things? Never! :lol:
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Also, as someone who grew up at the height of the Hooters' popularity with an eternal residual fondness for them, I can say with certainty that they are never not funny.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:53 pm

version sound wrote:Also, as someone who grew up at the height of the Hooters' popularity with an eternal residual fondness for them, I can say with certainty that they are never not funny.

Good point, but this version of said Hooters song (wait until the end) is way funnier!

JGJR

Postby pedro » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:54 pm

JGJR wrote:Well, if it was a joke, it wasn't funny (and I got it, but how do I know if he was joking). Whatevs, though. The Hooters joke wasn't funny, either. Plus, I have no idea why he might have posted that other than as a knock against Philly or something.

Hello.
pedro

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:05 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:I think you read too much into silly jokes, which might be one reason you don't find them funny.

Who me? Overanalyze things? Never! :lol:

scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:41 pm

Soup Dragons?
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby version sound » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:57 am

earthdog70 wrote:Soup Dragons?

I am ashamed to admit that I owned one of their CDs. I loved the Stone Roses and bought CDs by a lot of lesser "Madchester" bands with the hope that they might be comparable. That being the case, I can say with some authority that other than the Happy Mondays, none of the rest were worth listening to. Hunter will be singing the praises of New Fast Automatic Daffodils next :roll:

As for "shoegaze" that was a genre that didn't even exist before the UK music press contrived it. But, if you want to go with the original bands who were accused of being "shoegazers" , which was actually intended as an insult, you have mainly Slowdive, Ride, and Swervedriver. So, even if you don't include the myriad other bands who were later assigned to this specious genre, you already have three of the best bands of the '90s, and more than enough to trump the ridiculousness of Madchester.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby danny » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:19 am

the whole madchester scene is an abysmal blight on the otherwise sterling music that came from Manchester (as noted above). i realize you were still in a onesie when the Crappy Mondays were around...but i saw them play in their heyday (if you can call it that)...and they were utterly miserable. and as far as your assessment that madchester is somehow superior to "shoegaze"...i'll stack the top five shoegaze bands against the entire width and breadth of that steaming pile of poo from the north. I rest my case with: swervedriver, ride, boo radleys, loop, my bloody valentine. (and for what it's worth, no one in the Camden/Oxford scenes cared for the term shoegaze.)

aside from the first stone roses lp (plus the singles around then), and one inspirals single - all of it was rubbish. what else was there? james? shite. charlatans? not hardly. a guy called gerald? yeah, right. the mighty mock turtles? pfft. played with them. they sucked.
danny

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:49 am

danny wrote:the whole madchester scene is an abysmal blight on the otherwise sterling music that came from Manchester (as noted above). i realize you were still in a onesie when the Crappy Mondays were around...but i saw them play in their heyday (if you can call it that)...and they were utterly miserable. and as far as your assessment that madchester is somehow superior to "shoegaze"...i'll stack the top five shoegaze bands against the entire width and breadth of that steaming pile of poo from the north. I rest my case with: swervedriver, ride, boo radleys, loop, my bloody valentine. (and for what it's worth, no one in the Camden/Oxford scenes cared for the term shoegaze.)

aside from the first stone roses lp (plus the singles around then), and one inspirals single - all of it was rubbish. what else was there? james? shite. charlatans? not hardly. a guy called gerald? yeah, right. the mighty mock turtles? pfft. played with them. they sucked.

1) The Stone Roses record and associated singles destroy EVERYTHING shoegaze.
2) Many of you rate MBV, Swervedriver, and Ride much more highly than I do. I find most of their output dull. The songs are too long, too slow, and lack strong melodies, which is why they drenched them in distortion and feedback. There are exceptions (e.g., Ride's "Twisterella" is a great song).
3) The Happy Mondays are punk rock. You guys hate punk rock.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:50 am

danny wrote: i realize you were still in a onesie when the Crappy Mondays were around

xxxHunterxxx

Postby danny » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:09 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:3) The Happy Mondays are punk rock. You guys hate punk rock.

danny

Postby version sound » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:16 am

Anyone who claims to like rock and roll and doesn't appreciate Swervedriver either has terrible taste, or just isn't paying attention.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby MXV » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:36 am

danny wrote:the whole madchester scene is an abysmal blight on the otherwise sterling music that came from Manchester (as noted above). i realize you were still in a onesie when the Crappy Mondays were around...but i saw them play in their heyday (if you can call it that)...and they were utterly miserable. and as far as your assessment that madchester is somehow superior to "shoegaze"...i'll stack the top five shoegaze bands against the entire width and breadth of that steaming pile of poo from the north. I rest my case with: swervedriver, ride, boo radleys, loop, my bloody valentine. (and for what it's worth, no one in the Camden/Oxford scenes cared for the term shoegaze.)

All of this is true except ALL of the Stone Roses records were shitty. Fuck that band and that whole scene.

Shoegaze FTW!
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:56 am

As usual, danny is the voice of reason (James was OK, though). Now use posts like these teach that bassist of yours that your old bandmate Adam wrote more than a few memorable melodies. He needs his ears cleaned out. Complaining and songs being too slow and dull and getting into stoner metal? No comprendo.
:lol:
JGJR

Postby danny » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:04 pm

hunter is just trying to bait me. he hasn't actually heard anything by swervedriver. if he had, he'd throw away all his squealy dan, romantics and style council records and start growing dread locks.
danny

Postby version sound » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:13 pm

SRSLY. No one who owns a Sleep t-shirt can legitimately complain about anything ever being too long and boring.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:22 pm

version sound wrote:SRSLY. No one who owns a Sleep t-shirt can legitimately complain about anything ever being too long and boring.

i like sleep, but drugs definitely play a part in the reason why people think bands like SUNNO and OM are fucking brilliant.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:33 pm

version sound wrote:SRSLY. No one who owns a Sleep t-shirt can legitimately complain about anything ever being too long and boring.

Sometimes I forget you hate metal as well as punk rock.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby john stabb » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:56 am

Danny vs Hunter is what I live for here. :mrgreen: Hunter, you need to burn your "Katy Lied" album, stop dropping e's with musically untalented thugs like Shaun Ryder, take off your Style Council tour beret & realize that early MBV & Ride are the real deal. You've already figured out the Stone Roses S/T is truly amazing but Danny's right about how much shite like James has always been. I dig a a bit of early Charlatans but they only have that one great song that is blatantly "Hush" by Deep Purple called "The only one I know". And this comes from the DC Punk in Madchester clothing who wore his Charlatans tee across the country by your side. I still miss that shirt but Charlatans couldn't fill an entire EP much less an album with interesting songs :!:

And Soup Dragons started as a Buzzcocks-ripoff before they jumped on the Madchester-jam-wagon. :oops:

Now back to the Princess vs Wise Old Snowball battle. 8-)
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby gregpolard » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:34 am

Does xxxHunterxxx legitimately like Steely Dan or is this some kind of joke? FWIW I think Steely Dan are awesome.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:44 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:

Sometimes I forget you hate metal as well as punk rock.

You wouldn't know a diamond If you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:58 pm

gregpolard wrote:Does xxxHunterxxx legitimately like Steely Dan or is this some kind of joke? FWIW I think Steely Dan are awesome.

Not only do I like them, I discovered them.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:00 pm

version sound wrote:Happy Mondays are good for a laugh.

Not even.

They tortured everyone at Maxwells opening for Doughboys. Crappy Mondays went on forever and were god awful.

Terrible band.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:14 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Does xxxHunterxxx legitimately like Steely Dan or is this some kind of joke? FWIW I think Steely Dan are awesome.

Pffft. I was listening to my uncle's hand-me-down Steely Dan records while you were still grooving to Shaun Cassidy.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:27 pm

some of their songs are awesome. i like 3 or 4 songs on AJA a bunch, but the bad songs are really bad.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby danny » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:55 pm

the stab-master is correct: early charlatans = quality. but not so much beyond the first few singles and first lp. for my money, i much prefered chapterhouse.

you have to forgive hunter, though. he didn't discover punk rock until he saw eric vesper on a poster in commander salamander.
danny

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:59 pm

I love Steely Dan, too, especially or really only up to Aja and parts of Gaucho.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:00 pm

version sound wrote:You wouldn't know a diamond If you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand.

The weekend in the college didn't turn out like you planned.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:01 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:

Oh yeah? Say hi to Chevy Chase for me then. :lol:
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:02 pm

danny wrote:the stab-master is correct: early charlatans = quality. but not so much beyond the first few singles and first lp. for my money, i much prefered chapterhouse.

I think any sane person would. :lol:
JGJR

Postby version sound » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:32 pm

As a board certified nitpicker, I would like to take this opportunity to point out that MBV are not now and never have been shoegazers.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby john stabb » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:27 pm

I'd go even further than Danny in saying Chapterhouse shoves that Deep Purple riff up the Charlatans baggy pants-bumhole :!: Chapterhouse did no bad recordings. "Whirlpool" may one of my all-time favorite releases. But I always thought they were considered shoe gaze.

And for all you music lovers who dig Steely Dan: remember the only impressive thing about these annoying saps is the fact that they named themselves after a MEDIEVAL DILDOE. :o

Oh, Happy Mondays were never good to listen to. Not on the best drugs or alcohol. Although, that may take the edge off the SUCK. :lol:
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:25 am

john stabb wrote:I'd go even further than Danny in saying Chapterhouse shoves that Deep Purple riff up the Charlatans baggy pants-bumhole :!: Chapterhouse did no bad recordings. "Whirlpool" may one of my all-time favorite releases. But I always thought they were considered shoe gaze.

And for all you music lovers who dig Steely Dan: remember the only impressive thing about these annoying saps is the fact that they named themselves after a MEDIEVAL DILDOE. :o

Oh, Happy Mondays were never good to listen to. Not on the best drugs or alcohol. Although, that may take the edge off the SUCK. :lol:

Right on re: Chapterhouse and Whirlpool. Re: the Dan, it's a medieval dildo from a William S. Burroughs novel.
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:14 am

Thank you, JGJR. And I the only one that thinks Steely Dildo is stinking up this thread :?: :!: :x Bands like them, Crappy Mondays, RUSH, and James have no place on a Punkrock mssg board. Please place the urine in the jar.
john stabb

Postby john stabb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:29 am

And more from Trouser Press on Happy Mondays, Hunter ...

"Those searching for the key to the Mondays' success won't find it on the debut album. The inexplicably titled Squirrel and G-Man Twenty Four Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out) includes its first hit, the swinging "24 HR Party People." For the most part, though, the album is unimaginative — often unlistenable — acid funk, produced with no apparent flourishes by John Cale. Over such transparent and repetitive backing, it's hard not to notice how off-key Ryder's vocals are. Although "Oasis" and "Kuff Dam" are designed to reflect/support the burgeoning dance phenomenon, the record is no timeless pop classic. One surprise: the gloomy Cure-like intro to "Cob 20."
john stabb

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:56 am

john stabb wrote:And more from Trouser Press on Happy Mondays, Hunter ...

"Those searching for the key to the Mondays' success won't find it on the debut album. The inexplicably titled Squirrel and G-Man Twenty Four Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out) includes its first hit, the swinging "24 HR Party People." For the most part, though, the album is unimaginative — often unlistenable — acid funk, produced with no apparent flourishes by John Cale. Over such transparent and repetitive backing, it's hard not to notice how off-key Ryder's vocals are. Although "Oasis" and "Kuff Dam" are designed to reflect/support the burgeoning dance phenomenon, the record is no timeless pop classic. One surprise: the gloomy Cure-like intro to "Cob 20."

You left out a substantial portion of the review, Stubbs:

"Having made a sizable commercial impression in Great Britain, the Mondays then released their bid for world domination. Pills'n Thrills and Bellyaches stands as the Mondays' high water mark, the definitive baggy record, all loping, rollicking rhythms and daft psychoactive imagery. It's a luscious hodgepodge of the dodgiest of post- punk influences — a Labelle quote on "Kinky Afro," the Salsoul string sound on "Dennis and Lois," the "Sweet Jane" references on "Harmony." Producers Steve Osborne and Manc club DJ Paul Oakenfold cast some dusty sunshine into the Mondays' previously bleak sound, moving the group even further from the difficult death disco of Bummed. The accepted picture of Ryder as a drooling hoodlum also disappeared, as he suddenly became a gifted satirist whose gruff singing accentuated his wonderful comic voice. Ryder spins stories of a picaresque Manchester where "God rains his E's down on me," an opiated dream world reeking of "fine smelling" dope, populated by evangelical hypocrites ("God's Cop"), wacked-out family members ("Grandbag's Funeral") and Ecstatic orgy participants ("Bob's Yer Uncle"). In addition, "Holiday" is a mordantly funny memoir of the Mondays' adventures ("I'm here to harass you/I want your pills and your grass you/You don't look first class you/Let me look up your ass you"), not to mention a hilarious riff on the importance of oversize trousers ("Loose Fit"). Not just the most masterful document of Madchester, Pills'n Thrills and Bellyaches is a terrific record of delightfully intoxicating charms."
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:09 am

Generally speaking, Hunter is wrong, but I will concede that the self-titled Stone Roses LP and associated singles are in fact better than any shoegaze record, even if you (wrongly) consider MBV shoegaze.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Next

Return to daghouse