Encore:
Everything's Coming Up Roses
I.O.U.

Going to change my pants now.
aquaman

Re: Replacements Riotfest Setlist

Postby gregpolard » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:34 pm

Just saw this. Speechless.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:43 pm

scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:58 pm

I've decided that while I enjoy knowing what songs they did, I don't want to hear any audio or video.
It is an amazing list. The idea that they'd play more from Sorry Ma than Pleased to Meet Me? Yeah, didn't see that coming.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:01 pm

scannest wrote:I've decided that while I enjoy knowing what songs they did, I don't want to hear any audio or video.
It is an amazing list. The idea that they'd play more from Sorry Ma than Pleased to Meet Me? Yeah, didn't see that coming.

Same. I am really hoping they take this on the road for more than just these Riot Fests.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:01 pm

scannest wrote:I've decided that while I enjoy knowing what songs they did, I don't want to hear any audio or video.

Oh, I definitely wanna watch that video, but yeah I'm glad they acknowledge the greatness of Sorry Ma. I'm also really glad that "Tommy Got His Tonsils Out" made the setlist, but the only glaring omission is "We're Comin' Out" (well only in that it's a personal favorite). Otherwise, yeah. Speechless. I really hope they play here.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:02 pm

Kids Don't Follow would've been cool too. But they have so many great songs I just assumed that there'd always be something where I'd think "they should've played that"
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Here's another one that just popped up: (don't look Sal!)

gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:47 pm

I'd replace "Swinging Party" with "Valentine" or "Nevermind" and throw in either "Go" or "Kids Don't Follow" instead of the DTAS outtake, but otherwise there ain't much to quibble with.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:57 pm

scannest wrote:I'd replace "Swinging Party" with "Valentine" or "Nevermind" and throw in either "Go" or "Kids Don't Follow" instead of the DTAS outtake, but otherwise there ain't much to quibble with.

I couldn't agree more. Though apparently Slim requested Swinging Party which is why they played it.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Oh, and "I'll Be You" over "Achin' to Be", definitely.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:19 pm

Meh.. I have my list that they should have played.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:21 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Meh.. I have my list that they should have played.

No 'Hold my Life'? :o

or 'The Ledge'?

but 'Left of the Dial' is a must and they had the good sense to include it.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:46 pm

A pal of mine went and snagged the set-list. I'm sure it was incredible.

The 2 times I saw them back in the day there was probably on 1-2 songs from the first record.

I think it would be cool if they did Stink all the way thru :idea:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:48 pm

scannest wrote:I'd replace "Swinging Party" with "Valentine" or "Nevermind" and throw in either "Go" or "Kids Don't Follow" instead of the DTAS outtake, but otherwise there ain't much to quibble with.

I'm right there with you on having either "Go" or "Kids Don't Follow" in the setlist (if you like the former, I'd vote for "Willpower," too; just listened to both Stink and Hootenanny today, actually).

However, I love "Swinging Party" so I wouldn't replace it with IMO inferior songs (always thought "Never Mind" was a very good song, but like a knock-off of "Unsatisfied," which is a better song).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:50 pm

scannest wrote:Oh, and "I'll Be You" over "Achin' to Be", definitely.

Nope. They got that one right, actually. How great is the bridge of the latter song? I'm not the biggest fan of DTAS, but that song rules.
JGJR

Postby sonofa » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:08 pm

sonofa

Postby john stabb » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:31 am

Holy Frijoles Batman :!: That's got me crazy excited that maybe they'll take that set on the road :?: I can't believe they'd do a Sham 69 cover :?: :!: I've got absolutely no complaints about that set. And think I'd be seeing the show of a lifetime cos I got to see the shittiest Replacements gig (Tommy & Paul spitting on each other/no old songs/boring drummer) in late 80's @ Lisner Auditorium, WDC. PLEASE BRING THIS TO DC or at least NYC cos I need to see this. Shit, now I gotta sleep :?: Damn. :shock:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby Bill » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:39 am

I'm so angry and conflicted and pissed off at all sides about this reunion that I woke up in an angry sweat at 4 AM Sunday into Monday.

This week with all the press coverage has been awful. At one point I had to walk away from my desk and punch my leg a few times. First world former employee guy /all time favorite band problems.

I went to a Sox game with my parents on Monday and they asked why I looked so tired so I mentioned that a band that means more to me than most people I've met had just reunited for my old asshole boss, after the thousands of opportunities over the years. They got it.

If the Paul, Tommy, Josh & other guy play another non-riot-fest show anywhere in North America I'm there but I'll still fucking hate myself for going. Why couldn't it have gone anywhere but fucking Riot Fest.

Everyone else though, enjoy yourselves. I'm self aware enough to know that millions of people around the world are waiting for this. I was too but my dumb life kind of spoiled it. I still have the records though.

Bill

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:32 am

That's a bummer, Bill. I did not realize the hard feelings with your ex-employer went so deep. I'd like to think I would havethe same strength of principle, but I suspect I would just go anyway.
I'll be in town with Aquaman. If there's a chance to get together outside of the whole Riot Fest experience, that would be great. Send me a PM for my number.
And speaking of all this, anyone know if Lewdd is going?!
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:45 am

Bill wrote:I'm so angry and conflicted and pissed off at all sides about this reunion that I woke up in an angry sweat at 4 AM Sunday into Monday.

This week with all the press coverage has been awful. At one point I had to walk away from my desk and punch my leg a few times. First world former employee guy /all time favorite band problems.

I went to a Sox game with my parents on Monday and they asked why I looked so tired so I mentioned that a band that means more to me than most people I've met had just reunited for my old asshole boss, after the thousands of opportunities over the years. They got it.

If the Paul, Tommy, Josh & other guy play another non-riot-fest show anywhere in North America I'm there but I'll still fucking hate myself for going. Why couldn't it have gone anywhere but fucking Riot Fest.

Everyone else though, enjoy yourselves. I'm self aware enough to know that millions of people around the world are waiting for this. I was too but my dumb life kind of spoiled it. I still have the records though.

Do you really think the only shows they play are going to be these Riot Fest ones? I'd be shocked if that was the case. I can't think of many bands who only did a few reunion shows and called it a day. Of course there are examples to the contrary, but an overwhelming amount say "we're only doing these shows" and then keep going. You'll have your chance, Bill!
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:03 am

gregpolard wrote:Do you really think the only shows they play are going to be these Riot Fest ones? I'd be shocked if that was the case. I can't think of many bands who only did a few reunion shows and called it a day. Of course there are examples to the contrary, but an overwhelming amount say "we're only doing these shows" and then keep going. You'll have your chance, Bill!

I'm sure they are contractually obligated to keep mum about any other dates until the Riot Fest shows have either sold out or passed.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:16 am

gregpolard wrote:Do you really think the only shows they play are going to be these Riot Fest ones? I'd be shocked if that was the case. I can't think of many bands who only did a few reunion shows and called it a day. Of course there are examples to the contrary, but an overwhelming amount say "we're only doing these shows" and then keep going. You'll have your chance, Bill!

Jawbox is the only recent example I can think of that's to the contrary.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:23 am

scannest wrote:

I'm sure they are contractually obligated to keep mum about any other dates until the Riot Fest shows have either sold out or passed.

Oh, I know. I'm just saying that if these Riot Fest shows are done, if they don't (eventually) announce more shows I'll be really surprised.
gregpolard

Postby tango fistula » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm secretly glad that the Jam and Husker Du know when to hold em and fold em...and the Clash have no choice in the matter

As much as I like the Replacements there are two crucial members that that are missing...which makes it westerberg solo with special guest Tommy Stinson.
tango fistula

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:54 am

Bump. Here's a great review of the Chicago show.

http://www.paste.com/issues/week-111/ar ... ign=131003
JGJR

Postby matt » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:05 am

Here's a write-up my buddy did for the Denver RF show (Chris Shary and I got photo credits!) :D

http://yerdoingreat.wordpress.com/2013/ ... sindenver/
matt
Site Admin

Return to daghouse