My Current Top 10

My Current Top 10

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:20 pm

1) New (old) job in Manhattan. And loving it.
2) Getting ready for FLAG in NYC.
3) 'Fast Twitch' by Cytosport
4) Bob's Burgers marathons
5) First generation thrash records
6) Waking up at 4:30A
7) Oceansize 'Everyone into Position'
8) The first 3 Anvil records
9) other stuff
xxxMidgexxx

Re: My Current Top 10

Postby dude munhoz » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:42 am

1) My Daughter: Helena. 3 years old.
2) Curitiba Ramones Day, next 12 september. I am the producer.
3) Punkrockdays, dave smalley solo album. I need the lyrics.
4) Vacation on the beach, next October.
5) Suicidal Tendencies gig, next friday.
6) The Last - Danger - Anyone have this one?
7) http://jeffryhyman.tumblr.com/
8) Clube Atlético Paranaense - soccer since 1924.
9) http://dangerousminds.net/
10) daghouse.com/board
dude munhoz

Postby version sound » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:01 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:1) New (old) job in Manhattan. And loving it.

How many days a week, on average, do you have lunch with Sal?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:10 pm

version sound wrote:

I went to his 56th birthday party a few weeks ago. He's too much of snob to invite me to old B-movies and music fests. I never really liked him anyway.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:12 pm

dude munhoz wrote:3) Punkrockdays, dave smalley solo album. I need the lyrics.

That bum was too lazy to provide lyrics? REALLY? :x
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:40 pm

1. Being a stay-at-home dad
2. Fountains of Wayne (listening to them a ton all week long)
3. The iced mint latte at The Gold Standard
4. Iced coffee in general because tis the season
5. Breaking Bad (up to episode 5 in season 2) and specifically watching multiple episodes at a time and being totally engaged in it. That show is great, albeit disturbing.
6. My new phone
7. Anything by Weston pre-Got Beat Up
8. Superchunk - I Hate Music
9. Netflix Instant (directly related to #5)
10. Arrested Development marathons (see #9)
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby crus » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:29 pm

JGJR wrote:5. Breaking Bad (up to episode 5 in season 2) and specifically watching multiple episodes at a time and being totally engaged in it. That show is great, albeit disturbing.

I've just finished season 3. Watched it in a week.
crus

Postby gregpolard » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:14 am

1. Coffee
2. The nice weather we've been having
3. The Descendents/ALL bender I have been on for the past 3 months showing no signs of slowing down
4. Breaking Bad season 5B (episode 3 tonight!)
5. Rewatching Breaking Bad from the beginning thanks to Netflix
6. Superchunk - I Hate Music (gets better with each listen, a totally worthy follow up to the last LP IMO)
7. Losing weight
8. Bagels
9. FLAG in less than a month
10. "Free" 3 day weekend coming up (office is closed Labor Day)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:06 am

version sound wrote:

I know it's tough for you non-New Yorkers to understand, but Manhattan is a big place. You DC get together for lunch every Tuesday and Thursday, but here...not so much.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby pedro » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:25 am

According to wikipedia, the island of Manhattan is roughly 23 square miles. if you include the rivers "Manhattan" is about 33 square miles. The District of Columbia is about 68 square miles.

You guys just hate each other.
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:01 am

crus wrote:
JGJR wrote:5. Breaking Bad (up to episode 5 in season 2) and specifically watching multiple episodes at a time and being totally engaged in it. That show is great, albeit disturbing.

That is nuts. I mean, granted, I just started less than week ago and I'm already in season 2, but wow. It only gets better, right?
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:06 am

pedro wrote:According to wikipedia, the island of Manhattan is roughly 23 square miles. if you include the rivers "Manhattan" is about 33 square miles. The District of Columbia is about 68 square miles.

You guys just hate each other.

That's nonsense. scannest is right. Whoever wrote that Wikipedia article has probably never taken the A from say, W. 4th St all the way up to Washington Heights on a when it's not running express from 59th to 181st Streets or has not waited for the 6 to go from say, Astor Pl to 116th St at 2 AM only to have to take the 4 or 5 to 125th St and walk the rest of the way home like I used to have to all the time.

The square mileage is of less concern than how long it actually takes to get from place to place with traffic, subway stops, lights, number of people on the street, et al.

DC (while a densely-populated city by U.S. standards) is much less densely populated than Manhattan.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:09 am

gregpolard wrote:1. Coffee
2. The nice weather we've been having
3. The Descendents/ALL bender I have been on for the past 3 months showing no signs of slowing down
4. Breaking Bad season 5B (episode 3 tonight!)
5. Rewatching Breaking Bad from the beginning thanks to Netflix
6. Superchunk - I Hate Music (gets better with each listen, a totally worthy follow up to the last LP IMO)
7. Losing weight
8. Bagels
9. FLAG in less than a month
10. "Free" 3 day weekend coming up (office is closed Labor Day)

That list is so good as I back just about all of it (#10 doesn't really apply for me, though). I'd also add bagels from Spread Bagelry (scannest, this is literally the only really good bagel place that I've found in the Philly area, but it's Montreal-style, not NYC style bagels) and #7 (though you've lost a lot more weight, obviously, so kudos to you) and of course FLAG to my list as well! Oh and going to see Elvis Costello in November! And this weekend's beautiful weather! Yay!
JGJR

Postby crus » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:27 am

JGJR wrote:
crus wrote:

That is nuts. I mean, granted, I just started less than week ago and I'm already in season 2, but wow. It only gets better, right?

It's only season 3 I watched in a week. I don't usually watch a lot of TV. Yeah, it only gets better although one episode is definitely a slow burner. I swore out loud with nobody else around when season 3 finally finished.
crus

Postby version sound » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:29 pm

JGJR wrote:That's nonsense. scannest is right. Whoever wrote that Wikipedia article has probably never taken the A from say, W. 4th St all the way up to Washington Heights on a when it's not running express from 59th to 181st Streets or has not waited for the 6 to go from say, Astor Pl to 116th St at 2 AM only to have to take the 4 or 5 to 125th St and walk the rest of the way home like I used to have to all the time.

The square mileage is of less concern than how long it actually takes to get from place to place with traffic, subway stops, lights, number of people on the street, et al.

DC (while a densely-populated city by U.S. standards) is much less densely populated than Manhattan.

What a load. You obviously haven't spent much time on public transportation in DC on a weekday. Besides, Pedro would frequently come in from Silver fucking Spring for lunch, so you guys can stop whining about going a few blocks in Manhattan.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:10 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:That's nonsense. scannest is right. Whoever wrote that Wikipedia article has probably never taken the A from say, W. 4th St all the way up to Washington Heights on a when it's not running express from 59th to 181st Streets or has not waited for the 6 to go from say, Astor Pl to 116th St at 2 AM only to have to take the 4 or 5 to 125th St and walk the rest of the way home like I used to have to all the time.

What a load. You obviously haven't spent much time on public transportation in DC on a weekday. Besides, Pedro would frequently come in from Silver fucking Spring for lunch, so you guys can stop whining about going a few blocks in Manhattan.

A few blocks? I was talking about a hundred or so there in each instance I used as an example. My point is that NYC is huge and that it takes a long time to get from place to place, not that DC is really any different (I actually have taken the Metro in DC many times and have always liked it). And Silver Spring is right over the border. My aunt and uncle have lived there since 1984 or so and thus I'm quite familiar with the area.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:51 am

1) We're talking about Manhattan, not all of NYC.
2) Square footage doesn't lie, even if it doesn't match your personal impression of how HUGE you think a place is.
3) While Silver Spring borders DC, "right over the border" doesn't cover it. One of my best friends lived in Silver Spring for 2 years and I made out to his place twice, and one of those times was when I helped him move. It's a fucking hike.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:34 am

version sound wrote:1) We're talking about Manhattan, not all of NYC.
2) Square footage doesn't lie, even if it doesn't match your personal impression of how HUGE you think a place is.
3) While Silver Spring borders DC, "right over the border" doesn't cover it. One of my best friends lived in Silver Spring for 2 years and I made out to his place twice, and one of those times was when I helped him move. It's a fucking hike.

1) Aside from a brief stint in Williamsburg, my impression (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that you've never lived in NYC, so (I'm gonna put this as nicely as I can) you have no idea what you're talking about. It can take literally hours to get from one end of Manhattan to another depending upon traffic, et al.

More to the point, I don't know where their offices are and if they'd even be close enough to eat lunch within an hour or whatever time they're allotted.

2) Sure, but neither does density. I'm not saying this would be easy to do in DC, BTW.

3) That's also possibly because you (for whatever reason) don't like MD and have expressed as such on the old board. I guess it depends on where in DC you are, but the red line has always been very reliable in getting me into town from my aunt and uncle's place (they live really close to the Metro station). It's also a straight shot down Georgia Ave if you're driving. I've done both a bunch of times.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:56 am

This is still really happening, huh?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:15 am

JGJR wrote:That's nonsense.

Do you know what the word nonsense means? Because this:

pedro wrote:According to wikipedia, the island of Manhattan is roughly 23 square miles. if you include the rivers "Manhattan" is about 33 square miles. The District of Columbia is about 68 square miles.

is not nonsense. It is 100% verifiable fact. And this:

pedro wrote:You guys just hate each other.

Is just a good natured joke among friends. I don't really think they hate each other.

Now this:

JGJR wrote:scannest is right. Whoever wrote that Wikipedia article has probably never taken the A from say, W. 4th St all the way up to Washington Heights on a when it's not running express from 59th to 181st Streets or has not waited for the 6 to go from say, Astor Pl to 116th St at 2 AM only to have to take the 4 or 5 to 125th St and walk the rest of the way home like I used to have to all the time.

is nonsense. First, there is no wikipedia "article", just cold hard facts. I googled "Manhattan Square miles" and "District of Columbia square miles" and copied down the numbers. You should try it. It really is quite easy. While wikipdeia might not be a good source for some things, cold hard facts like square mileage of an island are usually pretty safe bets. If you can find a more reputable site with different numbers, have at it.

The difficulty someone has on the New York City Subway System has nothing to do with the square mileage of Manhattan. If your commute is easier, the island doesn't shrink. It might feel like it's smaller, but that's just an illusion. The island itself has not shrunk. The same is true in reverse.

Also, while the NYC Subway System may have been mean to you in the past, I'm not sure what that has to do with having lunch in midtown Manhattan. Unless you eat lunch at 2 AM and commute to midtown to do it. But Ray's Real is open at 2 AM, so maybe you do? The city that never sleeps, right?

And this:

JGJR wrote:The square mileage is of less concern than how long it actually takes to get from place to place with traffic, subway stops, lights, number of people on the street, et al.

also has no bearing on the conversation because this:

scanny wrote:I know it's tough for you non-New Yorkers to understand, but Manhattan is a big place. You DC get together for lunch every Tuesday and Thursday, but here...not so much.

is what scanny said. He said that "Manhattan is a big place". I pointed out that it is smaller than DC. Again, it's a fact, not nonsense. He said nothing about subway stops or traffic lights stopping him. I didn't address them in my response because scanny's statement didn't list them as reasons it was difficult to have lunch with xxxMidgexxx. I will also point out that scanny didn't say that xxxMidgexxx is a cheap bastard who makes scanny pick up the entire check. Because scanny didn't do that, I didn't feel it was necessary to point out that I know from experience that xxxMidgexxx is a great guy and often demands to pick up the entire check.

However I am fascinated by your apparent idea of having a subway with no stops. It really would be faster for the trains, but I don't think it would be very efficient for commuters.

Also, version is correct that you have no idea how big Silver Spring, MD is if you think "right over the (Maryland) border" covers it. If you do that Google trick I mentioned earlier and search for "Silver Spring Square Miles" you will find out that the incorporated area of Silver Spring is a little shy of 8 miles squared. That doesn't include the unincorporated areas that are referred to as "Silver Spring" by the locals. For the record, I live in one of those unincorporated areas of Silver Spring. But it's kind of irrelevant because even "right over the (Maryland) border" is much farther away from downtown DC than Washington Heights is from midtown Manhattan. Remember, when discussing distances the number of stop lights and pedestrians in the way doesn't matter.

JGJR wrote:DC (while a densely-populated city by U.S. standards) is much less densely populated than Manhattan.

Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:32 am

pedro wrote:
JGJR wrote:That's nonsense.

Do you know what the word nonsense means? Because this:

is not nonsense. It is 100% verifiable fact. And this:

pedro wrote:You guys just hate each other.

Is just a good natured joke among friends. I don't really think they hate each other.

Now this:

JGJR wrote:scannest is right. Whoever wrote that Wikipedia article has probably never taken the A from say, W. 4th St all the way up to Washington Heights on a when it's not running express from 59th to 181st Streets or has not waited for the 6 to go from say, Astor Pl to 116th St at 2 AM only to have to take the 4 or 5 to 125th St and walk the rest of the way home like I used to have to all the time.

is nonsense. First, there is no wikipedia "article", just cold hard facts. I googled "Manhattan Square miles" and "District of Columbia square miles" and copied down the numbers. You should try it. It really is quite easy. While wikipdeia might not be a good source for some things, cold hard facts like square mileage of an island are usually pretty safe bets. If you can find a more reputable site with different numbers, have at it.

The difficulty someone has on the New York City Subway System has nothing to do with the square mileage of Manhattan. If your commute is easier, the island doesn't shrink. It might feel like it's smaller, but that's just an illusion. The island itself has not shrunk. The same is true in reverse.

Also, while the NYC Subway System may have been mean to you in the past, I'm not sure what that has to do with having lunch in midtown Manhattan. Unless you eat lunch at 2 AM and commute to midtown to do it. But Ray's Real is open at 2 AM, so maybe you do? The city that never sleeps, right?

And this:

JGJR wrote:The square mileage is of less concern than how long it actually takes to get from place to place with traffic, subway stops, lights, number of people on the street, et al.

also has no bearing on the conversation because this:

scanny wrote:I know it's tough for you non-New Yorkers to understand, but Manhattan is a big place. You DC get together for lunch every Tuesday and Thursday, but here...not so much.

is what scanny said. He said that "Manhattan is a big place". I pointed out that it is smaller than DC. Again, it's a fact, not nonsense. He said nothing about subway stops or traffic lights stopping him. I didn't address them in my response because scanny's statement didn't list them as reasons it was difficult to have lunch with xxxMidgexxx. I will also point out that scanny didn't say that xxxMidgexxx is a cheap bastard who makes scanny pick up the entire check. Because scanny didn't do that, I didn't feel it was necessary to point out that I know from experience that xxxMidgexxx is a great guy and often demands to pick up the entire check.

However I am fascinated by your apparent idea of having a subway with no stops. It really would be faster for the trains, but I don't think it would be very efficient for commuters.

Also, version is correct that you have no idea how big Silver Spring, MD is if you think "right over the (Maryland) border" covers it. If you do that Google trick I mentioned earlier and search for "Silver Spring Square Miles" you will find out that the incorporated area of Silver Spring is a little shy of 8 miles squared. That doesn't include the unincorporated areas that are referred to as "Silver Spring" by the locals. For the record, I live in one of those unincorporated areas of Silver Spring. But it's kind of irrelevant because even "right over the (Maryland) border" is much farther away from downtown DC than Washington Heights is from midtown Manhattan. Remember, when discussing distances the number of stop lights and pedestrians in the way doesn't matter.

JGJR wrote:DC (while a densely-populated city by U.S. standards) is much less densely populated than Manhattan.

I didn't say that the idea of DC having more square mileage than Manhattan is nonsense. That is, like you said, fact. All I meant is that despite this, it is no easier for folks who work in Manhattan to get together for lunch than it is for folks who work in DC.

Re: Silver Spring, I know all of that, but what part of it's right over the DC border don't you understand? Sure it's the most northwest part of DC and the southern-most part of Silver Spring and I know how big it is. You may live there, but I've been visiting my family there for almost 30 years, so I feel like I'm also qualified to speak on this topic. I also have a cousin who lives near (or closer to) the exit on 495, but it just so happens that my aunt and uncle live really, really close to the downtown area, where the red line stops, where the light rail is being proposed, where that new-ish outdoor mall is with the Whole Foods, etc. is. They can walk there and be there in literally a few minutes. Thus, it takes not that long at all to get to downtown DC from there. Thus, I think VS was just lazy, honestly. :lol: But it's OK because that's very typical and I've certainly done the same re: not visiting friends who live in a different borough, part of town, etc. because of the relative inconvenience of getting there.

And that's a great Larry Williams tune you posted.

P.S. Who the fuck eats lunch at 2 AM? I know you DC folks hate NYC, but please...
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:52 am

JGJR wrote:
I didn't say that the idea of DC having more square mileage than Manhattan is nonsense. That is, like you said, fact. All I meant is that despite this, it is no easier for folks who work in Manhattan to get together for lunch than it is for folks who work in DC...

But Scanny's original post, which precipitated this brouhaha, suggested that it is much easier for us DC types to get together for lunch than it is for people who live in "dreary old Manhattan."

JGJR wrote:Re: Silver Spring, I know all of that,.

Seriously? I actually live here and I had no idea how large Silver Spring is or any of that stuff about the unincorporated v. incorporated portions.

JGJR wrote: but what part of it's right over the DC border don't you understand? Sure it's the most northwest part of DC and the southern-most part of Silver Spring and I know how big it is. You may live there, but I've been visiting my family there for almost 30 years, so I feel like I'm also qualified to speak on this topic. I also have a cousin who lives near (or closer to) the exit on 495, but it just so happens that my aunt and uncle live really, really close to the downtown area, where the red line stops, where the light rail is being proposed, where that new-ish outdoor mall is with the Whole Foods, etc. is. They can walk there and be there in literally a few minutes. Thus, it takes not that long at all to get to downtown DC from there. Thus, I think VS was just lazy, honestly. :lol: But it's OK because that's very typical and I've certainly done the same re: not visiting friends who live in a different borough, part of town, etc. because of the relative inconvenience of getting there.

GWarrior and Sal both work in Manhattan. Think of Silver Spring as Brooklyn. Pedro took the train in from Brooklyn to eat lunch with me and VS.

JGJR wrote:P.S. Who the fuck eats lunch at 2 AM? I know you DC folks hate NYC, but please...

Third-shifters, I'd imagine.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:04 pm

You guys are awesome. I respond to a joke with a dumber joke and someone goes and turns it into a serious discussion with square footage and traffic patterns and all that.
The true, and perhaps only response, is that people in DC regularly have 2, sometimes 3 hours for lunch where in New York I'm lucky if I get cold slice of pizza from the lunch cart before I'm back at my desk, nose to the proverbial grindstone. There's a work ethic here in the city that never sleeps that you DC gadabouts will never understand.
So there.
scannest

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Can't you just admit that you hate John so we can end this discussion?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:09 pm

version sound wrote:Can't you just admit that you hate John so we can end this discussion?

For the sake of the board, okay.
I hate...
I...can't do it. Cute as a bug, that JL is.
scannest

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:14 pm

Which is why I would lunch with him once a week, at a bare minimum, if we worked in the same borough.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:33 pm

version sound wrote:Which is why I would lunch with him once a week, at a bare minimum, if we worked in the same borough.

Do you realize it would take me 43 minutes, 3 subway transfers, and $12 in fares to get to John's office from mine?

(I'm sorry, my boss is on vacation today. I can play for awhile.)
scannest

Postby pedro » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:35 pm

You could fax him a sandwich. With a nice note.
Hello.
pedro

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:45 pm

pedro wrote:You could fax him a sandwich. With a nice note.

Fax him? What century are you living in, Mr. Silver Springs? I'll scan a sandwich on the copier and e-mail it him as a pdf. The technology is much tastier.
scannest

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:52 pm

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:Which is why I would lunch with him once a week, at a bare minimum, if we worked in the same borough.

Do you realize it would take me 43 minutes, 3 subway transfers, and $12 in fares to get to John's office from mine?

I guess Manhattan is much larger than I thought. Lesson learned.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:17 pm

scannest wrote:
pedro wrote:You could fax him a sandwich. With a nice note.

Fax him? What century are you living in, Mr. Silver Springs? I'll scan a sandwich on the copier and e-mail it him as a pdf. The technology is much tastier.

Paul has been bitter ever since his team(s) slid down the slippery slope to crapness.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:54 pm

version sound wrote:
scannest wrote:

That was all it took. Well, told you so...
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:58 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:Seriously? I actually live here and I had no idea how large Silver Spring is or any of that stuff about the unincorporated v. incorporated portions.

I will admit to exaggerating for affect (I knew some of that, not all), but I am married to an urban planner and Montgomery County (Maryland) is known for its planning initiatives, etc. and plus like I said I've been visiting there for almost 30 years.

Oddly (but this is very cool), I just found out that one of our next-door neighbors has a cousin and nieces/nephews who live a few blocks away from aunt and uncle in good ol' Silver Spring. What a small world.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:21 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:
scannest wrote:

I'm starting to think we need a [joke][/joke] tag.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby pedro » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:23 pm

Sometimes I think "JGJR" is actually an account shared by former members of The Hooters.
Hello.
pedro

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:27 pm

pedro wrote:Sometimes I think "JGJR" is actually an account shared by former members of The Hooters.

I'm not sure I really get this, but it's still one of the funniest things I've ever read on any iteration of this board.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:23 am

version sound wrote:I'm starting to think we need a [joke][/joke] tag.

This.
scannest

Postby danny » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:24 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:
scannest wrote:

I'm starting to think we need a [joke][/joke] tag.

i'm starting to think we all need a big group hug, a few slices of sbarro and some fancy orange soda.
danny

Postby version sound » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:43 am

I would never refuse Sbarro or orange soda, but I think we're all good, right guys? No one takes any of this nonsense seriously, do they?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:43 am

danny wrote:

i'm starting to think we all need a big group hug, a few slices of sbarro and some fancy orange soda.

I'm starting to think danny is really just Hunter posting under a second account. The group hug part is a dead giveaway.
scannest

Postby pedro » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:45 am

version sound wrote:I would never refuse Sbarro or orange soda, but I think we're all good, right guys? No one takes any of this nonsense seriously, do they?

Fuck you.
Hello.
pedro

Postby danny » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:24 am

scannest wrote:
danny wrote:

I'm starting to think danny is really just Hunter posting under a second account. The group hug part is a dead giveaway.

the day i start listening to steely dan and supporting the philthadelphia flyers...shoot me. (but try to just wing me...)
danny

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:25 pm

pedro wrote:Sometimes I think "JGJR" is actually an account shared by former members of The Hooters.

And sometimes I think "pedro" is actually Pedro Martinez being bitter at how his career ended. :bag:
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:25 pm

version sound wrote:I would never refuse Sbarro or orange soda, but I think we're all good, right guys? No one takes any of this nonsense seriously, do they?

Not I, good sir. I'm just being a smart-ass back is all.
JGJR

Postby pedro » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:59 am

I'd love to hear how you think Pedro Martinez is "bitter at how his career ended."

He won 3 Cy Young awards
Won a World Series and pitched in another.
He is the all time leader in ERA+ and WHIP for modern day, starting pitchers.
He is in the discussion of the greatest pitcher of all time.
He will be a first ballot Hall of Famer.
He has a family and homes in at least two countries
A foundation that has built and renovated numerous schools and hospitals in his native Dominican Republic.
He has a job with the Red Sox that pays him several hundred thousand dollars a year to show up to spring training in Fort Myers, Florida, play catch with some minor league pitching prospects, and then show up at Fenway a few times each year to shake hands with fans and sponsors.
He is beloved by Red Sox fans and by all accounts, generally speaking, one of the happiest, most well adjusted retired superstars out there.

Oh, and by the way, he made approximately $150,000,000 in his career.

I'd love to be "bitter" like that. I'm just a grumpus on a damn message board.
Last edited by pedro on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello.
pedro

Postby pedro » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:27 am

oops.
Hello.
pedro

Postby version sound » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:33 am

pedro wrote:oops.

After saying that you don't make mistakes, this is making me look like a real asshole.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:07 am

pedro wrote:I'd love to hear how you think Pedro Martinez is "bitter at how his career ended."

He won 3 Cy Young awards
Won a World Series and pitched in another.
He is the all time leader in ERA+ and WHIP for modern day, starting pitchers.
He is in the discussion of the greatest pitcher of all time.
He will be a first ballot Hall of Famer.
He has a family and homes in at least two countries
A foundation that has built and renovated numerous schools and hospitals in his native Dominican Republic.
He has a job with the Red Sox that pays him several hundred thousand dollars a year to show up to spring training in Fort Myers, Florida, play catch with some minor league pitching prospects, and then show up at Fenway a few times each year to shake hands with fans and sponsors.
He is beloved by Red Sox fans and by all accounts, generally speaking, one of the happiest, most well adjusted retired superstars out there.

Oh, and by the way, he made approximately $150,000,000 in his career.

I'd love to be "bitter" like that. I'm just a grumpus on a damn message board.

You make some good points there and of course, all of the above is true, but I meant how his career *ended*, not his overall career. He spent several mediocre seasons with the Phillies and then retired in a de facto manner when no team would sign him. Now granted, he had a long, very successful career before that (as you outlined above) and he's far from alone in that respect.

I hate to use an NFL example for an MLB player, but Dan Marino played his last game being crushed by Jacksonville 63-7 in the playoffs. And he's probably more, well bitter, (or not) since of course he never won a Super Bowl and only played in one.

And also, I'm just pulling your chain.
JGJR

Postby pedro » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:26 am

JGJR wrote:...but I meant how his career *ended*, not his overall career. He spent several mediocre seasons with the Phillies and then retired in a de facto manner...

If by "several mediocre seasons with the Phillies" you mean 9 starts (5-1 with an era of 3.63) in 2+ months with Phillies (he signed on July 15, 2009) you're spot on! He pitched well in the NL playoffs (7 shutout innings) and was pretty blah in the World Series.

He also had a couple of offers for the 2010 season (for short years and short money) but he passed due to age, health and his desire to start a family.

But I know, you're just pulling my chain.
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:13 pm

pedro wrote:
JGJR wrote:...but I meant how his career *ended*, not his overall career. He spent several mediocre seasons with the Phillies and then retired in a de facto manner...

If by "several mediocre seasons with the Phillies" you mean 9 starts (5-1 with an era of 3.63) in 2+ months with Phillies (he signed on July 15, 2009) you're spot on! He pitched well in the NL playoffs (7 shutout innings) and was pretty blah in the World Series.

He also had a couple of offers for the 2010 season (for short years and short money) but he passed due to age, health and his desire to start a family.

But I know, you're just pulling my chain.

:roll:

Apparently, I didn't realize I'm dealing with his fucking biographer.
JGJR

Next

Return to daghouse