Slint remasters and Big Black remasters

Slint remasters and Big Black remasters

Postby MXV » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:43 pm

I just got done listening to an interview with Steve Albini about that upcoming Nirvana In Utero anniversary edition. During the interview he mentioned that Bob Weston is remastering the Slint records now. If you are a Slint fan this is awesome news because those CDs always sounded like complete shit. I believe he made some mention about how much was inaudible in the original master of those records and this one is a fairly substantial improvement.

He also mentioned that the Big Black albums were remastered and just quietly released with no labeling or fanfare of any sort. He said they simply replaced the old with the new ones and continue to sell the records as usual which means if you were to buy them directly from the label you'd be getting the better sounding ones. Those original CD's sounded even shittier than the Slint ones! I want those but I don't know I can bring myself to re-buy CD's I already own (clearly I don't have that issue with vinyl).
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Re: Slint remasters and Big Black remasters

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:03 pm

I listened to that interview yesterday. It was amusing to hear Albini say something, anything, positive about CD's (that the digital transfer technology is infinitely better now than it was 20-30 years ago). It sounds like T&G is doing the same thing as Dischord where they are replacing old stock with newly mastered product as things sell out. I may need to purchase a new Songs About Fucking, but that would be about it.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Gary » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:13 pm

I really don't care for remaster/remixes etc now. I'm pretty happy with the records I've had for however long it's been now.
Gary

Postby MXV » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Gary wrote:I really don't care for remaster/remixes etc now. I'm pretty happy with the records I've had for however long it's been now.

The vinyl has always been fine, it is the CD's that sound like shit. I appreciate the remasters for better sound quality on my iPod when I'm driving around which is a lot.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby James » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:56 pm

scannest wrote:I listened to that interview yesterday. It was amusing to hear Albini say something, anything, positive about CD's (that the digital transfer technology is infinitely better now than it was 20-30 years ago). It sounds like T&G is doing the same thing as Dischord where they are replacing old stock with newly mastered product as things sell out. I may need to purchase a new Songs About Fucking, but that would be about it.

I would rebuy that one too, it's so damn quiet compared to everything else on my ipod.
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:18 pm

i didn't think t&G still even pressed cds for most of their titles. whenever i tried to buy something from them it said digital only for stuff like laughing hyenas.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Spiderland does NOT live up this 'creepy-cult' hype. Its an OK record. Not legendary.

PS: Albini makes me laugh. That's about all he's worth.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:35 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Spiderland does NOT live up this 'creepy-cult' hype. Its an OK record. Not legendary.

Slint had one great song. The rest...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:04 pm

version sound wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Spiderland does NOT live up this 'creepy-cult' hype. Its an OK record. Not legendary.

They were a good band. They did not suck. They were not great.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Dan Celebrity » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:04 pm

I thought Spiderland was pretty good when I bought the CD. But when I finally heard the vinyl it was a game changer. There's so many little things going on that you can't hear on the CD.

Are these remasters just for the CDs or is it vinyl too?
Dan Celebrity

Postby Gary » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:45 am

Slint were great,these days I'm more likely to listen to the first one though,it's more like Big Black meets (later)Honor Role to my ears.

Saw Slint at one of the reunion gigs and they bored em to death.
Gary

Postby scannest » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 am

Dan Celebrity wrote:Are these remasters just for the CDs or is it vinyl too?

Both. From Albini. on the Electrical Audio messageboard:
"The Big Black records were all remastered with Bob (Weston) at CMS around the same time the Jesus Lizard records were. All came out great and were at least modest improvements on the original vinyl, all were dramatically better than the original CDs"

And this was posted on Sunday:
"Just spoke to Corey at T&G, all the remastered records are going to have a little sticker put on them from now on. Don't know how long it takes to put stickers on things."
Last edited by scannest on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:28 am

version sound wrote:

I'm with VS and Midge here. And they're a snooze live, too (I saw them play that entire record from start to finish, FWIW).

Big Black, on the other hand, were awesome. I do much prefer Atomizer and the 12"s (not Lungs, but Racer X and Bulldozer) along with some of their 7"s (like their cover of Wire's "Heartbeat") to Songs About Fucking, though.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:30 pm

I'm not in into remasters in general unless they sweeten the deal with some bonus tracks. I'm sure Albini had some outtakes around so I will pass.
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby gregpolard » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:15 am

Just listened to that recent podcast with Albini talking about In Utero. Really great stuff.

http://vishkhanna.com/2013/08/16/ep-24-steve-albini/
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:08 am

His response when the interviewer brings up Courtney Love is brilliant.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:40 am

scannest wrote:His response when the interviewer brings up Courtney Love is brilliant.

I thought so too! Great stuff.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Return to daghouse