Upcoming gigs you're going to?

Re: Upcoming gigs you're going to?

Postby JGJR » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:44 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Drew-it was great! JGJR-yes Republic is the weakest link here. Beside "Regret" and "The Price of Love" the rest of that record isn't too great. But "Technique" was so good I just powered thru. The guy on guitar (didn't catch his name) sounded exactly like Bernard S, it was weird. :mrgreen:

No disagreements here re: Technique. "Vanishing Point" might be my favorite song in their whole catalog, for example.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:46 am

Man, you guys are making me bummed that I opted to skip the Hooky show here in Philly. I'm hearing nothing but great things. He was awesome last year when doing Substance but on a Thursday night when I knew I was going out Friday it was too much for me. I'll definitely be at the "Get Ready" and "Waiting For The Sirens Call" one when it happens hah
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:18 am

gregpolard wrote:Man, you guys are making me bummed that I opted to skip the Hooky show here in Philly. I'm hearing nothing but great things. He was awesome last year when doing Substance but on a Thursday night when I knew I was going out Friday it was too much for me. I'll definitely be at the "Get Ready" and "Waiting For The Sirens Call" one when it happens hah

I guess that would be the last of these series of tours.....which is amazing....if you saw all of 'em - you saw him perform every single Joy Division & New Order song.
captain2man

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:31 am

captain2man wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Man, you guys are making me bummed that I opted to skip the Hooky show here in Philly. I'm hearing nothing but great things. He was awesome last year when doing Substance but on a Thursday night when I knew I was going out Friday it was too much for me. I'll definitely be at the "Get Ready" and "Waiting For The Sirens Call" one when it happens hah

I guess that would be the last of these series of tours.....which is amazing....if you saw all of 'em - you saw him perform every single Joy Division & New Order song.

It's pretty nuts. Had I seen the earlier tours (I only caught "Substance") the completest in me would've forced myself to go this past week as well. I wonder what he's going to do after the next set? Stop touring? Or maybe just do random songs
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:52 am

gregpolard wrote:
captain2man wrote:

It's pretty nuts. Had I seen the earlier tours (I only caught "Substance") the completest in me would've forced myself to go this past week as well. I wonder what he's going to do after the next set? Stop touring? Or maybe just do random songs

I really wish I had gone to all of them - but this was the first tour I've seen. My wife saw the Substance tour a few years ago....but it was the same night as the Screeching Weasel 30th anniversary tours - so we went in separate directions that night.

Hooky is 63....so by the time he finishes this tour and - presumably - does a whole other tour - he'll be closer to 70....so maybe that lines up with the perfect time to retire?

But - if not - I hope he just starts all over again so I can see those Joy Division tunes.

Or maybe it'll be time to bury the hatchet and return to New Order....although that doesn't sound like that's ever going to happen.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:08 am

captain2man wrote:Or maybe it'll be time to bury the hatchet and return to New Order....although that doesn't sound like that's ever going to happen.

After reading his book a few years ago, it seems more likely that The Smiths, DKs and The Jam would reunite.
JGJR

Postby Mark T. » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:55 pm

jaybird wrote:Nov 9th Live Wire Show.

I will be at the Saturday show as well. Also looking forwarding to Air Stream Futures.
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby lewdd » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:28 pm

shit, i should have flown out...i get to town Monday morning
lewdd

Postby scannest » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:00 am

I'm going to see the Figgs play a house show at the end of the month which they are planning to record for a live record. "Continue to Enjoy the Figgs, Vol. 3" I suppose (if yer familiar with their catalog).
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:07 am

It looks like I'll be seeing Robert Forster at Bell House on 11/16.

Mark Burgess/ChameleonsVox either Saturday (most likely) or Sunday night at St. Vitus is also a possibility.
JGJR

Postby Gary » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:03 pm

Agnostic Front next week
Gary

Postby captain2man » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:14 pm

King Diamond @ Kings Theater tomorrow night
Slayer @ MSG on Saturday
captain2man

Postby scannest » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:49 am

Gary wrote:Agnostic Front next week

This tour of the boroughs fascinates me. They're playing a bar on Staten Island that can't hold more than 150 people.

scannest

Postby lewdd » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:12 am

How many does the Bowery Electric hold?
lewdd

Postby scannest » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:37 am

lewdd wrote:How many does the Bowery Electric hold?

Not much more - maybe 200
scannest

Postby captain2man » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:43 am

Those are all fairly small venues....I think the backroom of the Kingsland only holds like 100-150.
captain2man

Postby pedro » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:05 pm

I just think that...that their appeal is becoming more selective.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Gary » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Venues they play here aren't really much bigger.
Gary

Postby lewdd » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:16 pm

https://scontent.fphl1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5E171538

I was told that there were between 300-350 people at this 999 show. If you can count 20 across and 20 deep that would be 400 so I think it may have been possible. This was in an American Legion. Are these other clubs you mention only half the size of this place?
lewdd

Postby scannest » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:36 pm

lewdd wrote: Are these other clubs you mention only half the size of this place?

999 just played the Bowery Electric a couple weeks ago. The capacity is listed as 200. I know they capped tickets sales at 150 for the Staten Island show. I think the bands are basically renting the club for the night and keeping the door.

I guess there's just more competition for your entertainment dollar in NYC than in Pennsyltucky.
scannest

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:18 pm

Trying to go see Joe Wood do T.S.O.L. songs in Woosta Sat at Ralph's.

I have a quick side note for Scannest, at least I think this was funny. I was at Superchunk last night in Somerville, MA. My friend Brad snagged front rows seats, no one in front of me-great view. Before they start, I go to the lobby to grab a brew. When I get back my friend Brad is chatting with 2 other people by our seats. But I can't get back to my seats due to the crowd backlog. Then the show starts and everyone splits.

Who were the other 2 people you ask? Oh just Bill Janovitz and Mike Gent. :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:59 pm

Re: AF doing the all-borough tour, David Bowie did something similar in 2002 and called it the New York marathon. I think Sonic Youth did something similar in 2005 or 2006, too, but maybe it was only Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens? Oh and I just noticed that the one borough they're not playing is the one I live in. Oh well.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:53 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Trying to go see Joe Wood do T.S.O.L. songs in Woosta Sat at Ralph's.

We (Hudson Falcons) opened up for him in Brooklyn on Sunday night.

Very sparse crowd....there was like maybe 25 people when he played. But he & his band were really good - and it was cool hearing those songs - which have basically been totally forgotten - played live.

Joe was a total class act. He hung out with everyone all night - told stories, listened to stories, took pictures - I got my LP copies of Change Today? and Hit and Run signed. He watched at least part of the sets of every band. He couldn't have been a nicer and more gracious guy.
captain2man

Postby lewdd » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:23 pm

25 people? Someone took a bath on that show.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:07 am

captain2man wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:Trying to go see Joe Wood do T.S.O.L. songs in Woosta Sat at Ralph's.

We (Hudson Falcons) opened up for him in Brooklyn on Sunday night.

Very sparse crowd....there was like maybe 25 people when he played. But he & his band were really good - and it was cool hearing those songs - which have basically been totally forgotten - played live.

Joe was a total class act. He hung out with everyone all night - told stories, listened to stories, took pictures - I got my LP copies of Change Today? and Hit and Run signed. He watched at least part of the sets of every band. He couldn't have been a nicer and more gracious guy.

I'm curious what venue this was at. I like Change Today? though tbh I haven't spent that much time with it and haven't heard it in years, but I haven't heard the later Joe Wood-era TSOL stuff.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:50 pm

JGJR wrote:I'm curious what venue this was at. I like Change Today? though tbh I haven't spent that much time with it and haven't heard it in years, but I haven't heard the later Joe Wood-era TSOL stuff.

It was at the Kingsland. Definitely a rough night from a business point-of-view - but a lot of fun for the people who actually were there.

I love Change Today? - and I think - musically - it fits in with the classic T.S.O.L. stuff. Revenge is still a punk album - but definitely some arena-rock influences creeping in. By the time they did Hit and Run and Strange Love - any sign of punk rock was pretty much gone in favor of tattooed blues metal....Hit and Run is the better of the two albums - but I'm not a big fan of either of them.

His set was primarily focused on Change Today and Revenge....he may have played a song or two from the other two records - but I'm not even sure he did.
captain2man

Postby drew » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:13 am

scannest wrote:
Gary wrote:Agnostic Front next week

This tour of the boroughs fascinates me. They're playing a bar on Staten Island that can't hold more than 150 people.

This is going to be great. My friends in ENRAGE are opening, only 150 tix sold. My wife will drop me off and pick me up from the bar. it's 5 minutes from our house.
drew

Postby drew » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:15 am

JGJR wrote:Re: AF doing the all-borough tour, David Bowie did something similar in 2002 and called it the New York marathon. I think Sonic Youth did something similar in 2005 or 2006, too, but maybe it was only Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens? Oh and I just noticed that the one borough they're not playing is the one I live in. Oh well.

The Bowie show was awesome. I saw him at The Colton Center at Queens college. I was the size and look of my high school auditorium.
drew

Postby jaybird » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:04 am

Mark T. wrote:
jaybird wrote:Nov 9th Live Wire Show.

I will be at the Saturday show as well. Also looking forwarding to Air Stream Futures.

Good to meet you at the show.
jaybird

Postby scannest » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:16 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Who were the other 2 people you ask? Oh just Bill Janovitz and Mike Gent. :lol:

Yeah, total scenesters.
On a related note, Janovitz is playing a restaurant around the corner from house this coming Saturday. It's a private party, but he threw an invite up on FB for any one who wanted to come (after getting an okay from the hosts).
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:05 pm

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:Re: AF doing the all-borough tour, David Bowie did something similar in 2002 and called it the New York marathon. I think Sonic Youth did something similar in 2005 or 2006, too, but maybe it was only Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens? Oh and I just noticed that the one borough they're not playing is the one I live in. Oh well.

The Bowie show was awesome. I saw him at The Colton Center at Queens college. I was the size and look of my high school auditorium.

I do regret not seeing him on that tour. I was working down the street from St. Ann's Warehouse then, but decided to skip it. I had a ticket for the Roseland show in 2000 that he canceled due to sickness. I never got to see him. I really like the album he put out that year, too (Heathen) and actually got a vinyl copy last year.
JGJR

Postby crus » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:26 am

Crocodiles (who I'd never heard of until recently) and A Place to Bury Strangers (I'm betting they destroy more guitars than Gang of Four)
crus

Postby scannest » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:43 am

I'm gonna try and hit up the Jay Vons record release show this coming Sunday at Union Pool.
Then I've got J Robbins and his band next Friday at St. Vitus.
On Sunday the 8th there's a Neil Young Tribute show at a black box theater on MacDougal Street. A decidedly amateur affair, but Pete Hayes from the Figgs is coordinating/playing.
The last thing I have scheduled for the year is, god help me, Phish at Madison Square Garden. Should be innerstin'
scannest

Postby JGJR » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:05 am

crus wrote: A Place to Bury Strangers (I'm betting they destroy more guitars than Gang of Four)

Bring earplugs; don't say I didn't warn you.
JGJR

Postby drew » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:16 pm

!2/12- Agnostic Front/Sick Of It All/Enrage Mother Pugs- SI might as well be my basement This is gonna be nuts.

1/31- Bob Mould solo at some bar in Long Island It's near my friends house in Sands Point. He said the place holds maybe 150 ppl so this should be great
drew

Postby earthdog70 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:51 pm

J. Robbins/Versus/Drew O'Doherty-Great Scott-Allston-12/7
The Ergs-Great Scott-Allston-12/14

:arrow:
earthdog70

Postby wALLton » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:30 am

The Wonder Stuff w Jim Bob (Carter USM) - tonight
Voivod w GWAR - 12/02
Municipal Waste w Toxic Holocaust w Enforcer w Skeletal Remains - 12/03
Bad//Dreems w The Chats - 12/11
wALLton

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:42 pm

Beach Slang free show at Underground Arts 12/12
Shelter/Gorilla Biscuits/Earth Crisis in Reading PA on 12/21 (maybe)
gregpolard

Postby crus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:58 pm

JGJR wrote:
crus wrote: A Place to Bury Strangers (I'm betting they destroy more guitars than Gang of Four)

Bring earplugs; don't say I didn't warn you.

Fair call. I've seen them before with their previous drummer so bought new earplugs recently. I
crus

Postby FlexMyHead » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:15 am

Last night I saw a local band, Slap Of Reality, who was active in the mid-late 90s who have been playing around again and they just released a new 7". Besides sounding like themselves (as they had a bunch of 7"s & two full lengths) they really remind me of Sleeper/Serpico. Check out a song from the new 7" below!

Can't you see this being on Preparing Today For Tomorrow's Breakdown???
FlexMyHead

Postby lewdd » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:43 am

12/14 Misfits, Dropkick Murphys, Agnostic Front - Wells Fargo Center, Philly

considering doing a double header and going to the matinee show in Philly at TLA to see Bouncing Souls, The Bronx, Barstool Preachers, and Strike Anywhere
lewdd

Postby drew » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:08 am

J Robbins was great Friday night Not a sold out show so got close to the stage, saw Scannest & Pilster & really enjoyed LAPeCHE. J had Gordon Withers on Cello, first time I've seen him & it was amazing. I bolted without saying so long to the guys, my Uber was there and I was a little tipsy.

Next up- AF/SOIA on Staten Island Thursday........
drew

Postby Gary » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:41 am

Hot Snakes tonight
Gary

Postby earthdog70 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:52 am

So went to a pre-game private party for my friend and his wife's birthday celebration down the street from the venue. I met a couple guys from Versus (who I admit I knew nothing about.) Then headed over to the show on time to catch Drew O'Doherty. He was awesome, hope he does get around to making a 2nd record.

Versus was cool, the 2 guitar interplay was pretty interesting. I will have to dig deeper into their stuff.

J. and band were fantastic. When they kicked in to "Abandoned Mansions" I was pumped! I told J after that I think that is one of his best songs. He was gracious as he usually is. Talked to Pete after too, he was amazed that Scream played Great Scott a couple years back. Fantastic show, check out this set with Burning Airlines nuggets:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/j-robbin ... a5103.html

Thanks to J and Pete for signing my record too!
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:20 pm

earthdog70 wrote:So went to a pre-game private party for my friend and his wife's birthday celebration down the street from the venue. I met a couple guys from Versus (who I admit I knew nothing about.) Then headed over to the show on time to catch Drew O'Doherty. He was awesome, hope he does get around to making a 2nd record.

Versus was cool, the 2 guitar interplay was pretty interesting. I will have to dig deeper into their stuff.

J. and band were fantastic. When they kicked in to "Abandoned Mansions" I was pumped! I told J after that I think that is one of his best songs. He was gracious as he usually is. Talked to Pete after too, he was amazed that Scream played Great Scott a couple years back. Fantastic show, check out this set with Burning Airlines nuggets:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/j-robbin ... a5103.html

Thanks to J and Pete for signing my record too!

That sounds like a really fun night. I've loved Versus since the early '90s and they were one of my favorite live bands to see back then. Their 1995 singles and odds and ends compilation Dead Leaves is amazing and the perfect place to start. They're playing here in a few weeks and I may catch them. I haven't seen them since 2010.
JGJR

Postby drew » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:35 pm

2/6- John Doe, Kirsten Hersh, Grant Lee Phillips- Cutting Room NYC

3/1- Soulfly, Enrage - Stanhope House, NJ

4/19- Waxahatchee- Elsewhere, BK

7/5- Go-Go's - Stone Pony- Asbury Park, NJ

7/18- Black Crowes- Jones Beach Amphitheater, NY
drew

Postby scannest » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:01 am

It was a dry couple months, but February is pretty busy:

2/12 - Spanking Charlene record release show (Bowery Electric)
2/16 - Bad Moves opening for Cheekface (Rough Trade)
2/20 - Sloan (Bowery Ballroom)
2/22 - Screaming Females with Radioactivity (White Eagle Hall)
2/29 - Figgs (Berlin Under A)
scannest

Postby lewdd » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:58 pm

April 11 - The Undertones, Dot Dash, The Clap (Catasauqua American Legion)
lewdd

Postby kevin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:36 pm

CORIKY on 2/22
kevin

Postby drew » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:34 am

drew wrote:2/6- John Doe, Kirsten Hersh, Grant Lee Phillips- Cutting Room NYC

What a show the other night. All three singers sounded great I've never been the biggest Grant Lee fan but him alone on acoustic gtr. is quite good. John Doe is just amazing. His voice has matured into the comforting tone of old Americana. And his versions of "Burning House of Love" & " See How We Are" were just beautiful. All three singers on "When The Levee Breaks" was a highlight too.
drew

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse