Upcoming gigs you're going to?

Re: Upcoming gigs you're going to?

Postby drew » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:46 am

JGJR wrote:I saw Rhys Chatham play a free outdoor show in downtown Brooklyn earlier today. He played a flute that he put together in a few pieces and it was processed and plugged in through something or other and the end result sounded like early '70s Eno/Fripp compositions (think No Pussyfooting, Evening Star, etc.). I liked it a lot, but it was hard to really concentrate on it since so many folks were talking around me. It was a free outdoor show and part of an arts festival, so it kind of comes with the territory, but anyway I'm glad I've gotten to see him perform.

That sounds very cool. Great week of shows.
drew

Postby scannest » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:37 am

Going to see LEE BAINS III & THE GLORY FIRES Tuesday night at the Knitting Factory. Prolly my fave new discovery of the past few years. An absolute powerhouse live - punk rock with a strong whiff of southern boogie/classic rock and WOKE. AS. FUCK. Highly recommended.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:07 am

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:I saw Rhys Chatham play a free outdoor show in downtown Brooklyn earlier today. He played a flute that he put together in a few pieces and it was processed and plugged in through something or other and the end result sounded like early '70s Eno/Fripp compositions (think No Pussyfooting, Evening Star, etc.). I liked it a lot, but it was hard to really concentrate on it since so many folks were talking around me. It was a free outdoor show and part of an arts festival, so it kind of comes with the territory, but anyway I'm glad I've gotten to see him perform.

That sounds very cool. Great week of shows.

Indeed; sometimes it's really great to live here.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Gary » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:11 am

Was going to go to Helmet tonight,but it sold out. To be honest I'm not that fussed.

Then I've been struggling making up my mind about going to either Protex or Dezerter on saturday. But have just found out I can't go to either now.

Ah well.

Varukers are playing in a couple of weeks,then a few weeks after that,Agnostic Front. I'll know closer to the time.
Gary

Postby lewdd » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:44 am

I would love to see Protex.
lewdd

Postby Gary » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:35 am

Luckily for me,living in Ireland I get to see them often . But then,there are way more bands that never make it here,so ...
Gary

Postby wALLton » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:40 am

Black Flag, tonight. It's gonna be bad I know. Yes, I've seen FLAG and they were awesome. This'll likely be a train wreck, but could also be "fun" to see maybe?

And tomorrow night is Soulside. With two of my favourite UK bands opening. Dealing With Damage (Ed Wenn from The Stupids/Sink/K-Line) and Jaded Eyes (classic DCHC sound whose member(s) have posted here before). No matter how bad Black Flag are, tomorrow will cancel it out. :)
wALLton

Postby DelGriffith » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:01 am

jealous you went to Billy bragg..wanted to go to one of those nights but I balked at those tickets prices..Night Two was clearly his best setlist.
JGJR wrote:I've had quite a run this past week. I just got back from seeing Jeff Caudill of Gameface and Popeye from Farside play an in-store at Limited to One with Ryley Walker opening the show. All acoustic, combination of their own songs with covers of Black Sabbath, Tom Petty, Dramarama, Jawbreaker, etc. So much fun! Last Saturday, I saw Billy Bragg play his "middle period" albums Workers Playtime, Don't Try This at Home and William Bloke. I got there late and missed the first half hour or so, but walked in as he was playing "Must I Paint a Picture." It was fantastic, as he always is, particularly with minimal or in this case no accompaniment but himself on guitar. He's an absolute treasure. And speaking of treasures, a few nights before, I saw Brian Wilson and his excellent band play basically a dream set for Beach Boys nerds like myself as they highlighted Friends and Surf's Up, including a lot of stuff I'd never heard them play live before. Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin was with them. Brian should be home as he can't sing anymore and is basically a prop, but the songs and his band were great. The Zombies opened and 4/5 of their original lineup played Odessey and Oracle. I saw the same lineup do the same album back in 2015 and it's probably an all-time top 20 or whatever show for me and this one was almost as special. Like that other show, they started out with the modern version (which sucks by comparison; they sound like a shitty AOR or bar band) playing some earlier hits and new stuff.
DelGriffith

Postby captain2man » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:20 am

Melvins/Redd Kross - 10/10 @ Warsaw
Sicko / Mikey Erg / Weird Skin - 10/12 @ Gold Sounds
captain2man

Postby Gary » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:23 am

wALLton wrote:Black Flag, tonight. It's gonna be bad I know. Yes, I've seen FLAG and they were awesome. This'll likely be a train wreck, but could also be "fun" to see maybe?

And tomorrow night is Soulside. With two of my favourite UK bands opening. Dealing With Damage (Ed Wenn from The Stupids/Sink/K-Line) and Jaded Eyes (classic DCHC sound whose member(s) have posted here before). No matter how bad Black Flag are, tomorrow will cancel it out. :)

Both Jaded Eyes and Dealing With Damage are great bands. Would love to see both. If you talk to the guys in Jaded Eyes,the guitar players that is,say hello from me.
Gary

Postby gregpolard » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:43 am

DelGriffith wrote:jealous you went to Billy bragg..wanted to go to one of those nights but I balked at those tickets prices..Night Two was clearly his best setlist.
JGJR wrote:I've had quite a run this past week. I just got back from seeing Jeff Caudill of Gameface and Popeye from Farside play an in-store at Limited to One with Ryley Walker opening the show. All acoustic, combination of their own songs with covers of Black Sabbath, Tom Petty, Dramarama, Jawbreaker, etc. So much fun! Last Saturday, I saw Billy Bragg play his "middle period" albums Workers Playtime, Don't Try This at Home and William Bloke. I got there late and missed the first half hour or so, but walked in as he was playing "Must I Paint a Picture." It was fantastic, as he always is, particularly with minimal or in this case no accompaniment but himself on guitar. He's an absolute treasure. And speaking of treasures, a few nights before, I saw Brian Wilson and his excellent band play basically a dream set for Beach Boys nerds like myself as they highlighted Friends and Surf's Up, including a lot of stuff I'd never heard them play live before. Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin was with them. Brian should be home as he can't sing anymore and is basically a prop, but the songs and his band were great. The Zombies opened and 4/5 of their original lineup played Odessey and Oracle. I saw the same lineup do the same album back in 2015 and it's probably an all-time top 20 or whatever show for me and this one was almost as special. Like that other show, they started out with the modern version (which sucks by comparison; they sound like a shitty AOR or bar band) playing some earlier hits and new stuff.

Wait til he tells you how much the tickets cost! then you'll really be jealous LOL
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:59 am

gregpolard wrote:
DelGriffith wrote:jealous you went to Billy bragg..wanted to go to one of those nights but I balked at those tickets prices..Night Two was clearly his best setlist.

Wait til he tells you how much the tickets cost! then you'll really be jealous LOL

Del isn't gonna be that jealous. I went on night 3. :lol: I would've liked to see night 2 as well; love the early stuff, too.
JGJR

Postby crus » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:48 am

Got a ticket to one of Gang of Four's Entertainment shows next month. Really looking forward to it.
crus

Postby scannest » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:11 am

I've got 2 this weekend. On Saturday is DUSK, which is an indie-Americana band featuring Amos from TENEMENT. Sunday is a super rare PERNICE BROTHERS show in support of their awesome new record (prolly my fave new record of the year). And Joe Pernice is opening the show with a solo acoustic set, so win-win right there.
scannest

Postby DelGriffith » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:22 am

Went to see Vivian Girls last night in brooklyn..stunning show..even better than ever.
DelGriffith

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:56 pm

DelGriffith wrote:Went to see Vivian Girls last night in brooklyn..stunning show..even better than ever.

That's always awesome when a band can reunite and not miss a beat. I saw JGJR said something similar as well! I'm astonished you guys didn't run into each other.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:33 pm

On the very slim chance someone might be interested, I have two 3 day tickets to the Fest in Gainseville that I'm trying to get rid of (https://thefestfl.com/). One friend has no interest in going since Dag Nasty backed out and the other friend was all "You know, I thought about it and I really don't care enough about hearing "Kiss The Bottle" live again to take off work and fly to Florida, no offense". The motherfucker makes a good point....

Chances of me selling them to "punx" would be like pretty much like this:

FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:24 pm

scannest wrote:I've got 2 this weekend. On Saturday is DUSK, which is an indie-Americana band featuring Amos from TENEMENT. Sunday is a super rare PERNICE BROTHERS show in support of their awesome new record (prolly my fave new record of the year). And Joe Pernice is opening the show with a solo acoustic set, so win-win right there.

See you at the Merc tomorrow. Cannot wait. And I'm seeing Luna do Penthouse right afterwards, too. Vivian Girls with 3 great openers the other night was fantastic, too. And it looks like I'm going to Stiff Little Fingers/Avengers on Tuesday night as well.

I may go into Jersey City to see a friend's band perform a Joe Jackson set as part of that Ghost of Uncle Joe's thing (though it's technically an afterparty).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:25 pm

crus wrote:Got a ticket to one of Gang of Four's Entertainment shows next month. Really looking forward to it.

Is it still just Andy?
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:27 pm

gregpolard wrote:
DelGriffith wrote:Went to see Vivian Girls last night in brooklyn..stunning show..even better than ever.

That's always awesome when a band can reunite and not miss a beat. I saw JGJR said something similar as well! I'm astonished you guys didn't run into each other.

I just finished my review and indeed it was next level great, almost a completely different caliber band now than they were back then (and they were great the 4 times I saw them between 2008 and 2011, too). It was their biggest headlining show ever and they followed 3 really good bands and just completely destroyed. Legit goosebump moments; was in a daze for most of the set tbh. We got to interview them beforehand, too. More news on that later.
JGJR

Postby rawpowerNZ » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:24 pm

Why did Dag pull out of the Fest?
rawpowerNZ

Postby drew » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:43 pm

10/19- Oh Sees at Warsaw in BK. Happy to stay away from the Shit-show that is "The Original Misfits" and saw Oh Sees absolutely destroy. Openers "Prettiest Eyes" were great too! Awesome show to drown out the Yankees loss......

10/25- Peter Hook & The Light at BK Steel. My friend is Hook's publicist, every time he comes to town for these epic shows I am always invited and can never go. Either sickness, vacation, prior commitment.........this time looks good LOL. Not my fave set, I missed all the classic shows but this night we'll get- Joy Division hits, The New Order albums TECHNIQUE(great) & REPUBLIC(crappy with two good songs) and an encore of New Order hits.

10/30- Sleater-Kinney at Kings Theater BK My wife grabbed tix when they went on sale.....and then we heard the new tunes. Whatever. They are rocking out in the pics from the tour so far so hopefully they will kick some ass.......

11/8- SAMIAM/Moving Targets @ Union Pool BK My fav small venue gets a show I never thought would be there. And MT's new album "Wires" is in the running for my top album of the year.......I never saw Samiam....I only like certain records of theirs. I have no idea what to expect.

11/9- Going to the Premiere of the Doc about Lydia Lunch "The War is Never Over" A friend of mine is one of the Producers so I've got to meet Lydia during the making but I think we might get to hang out with her afterward so I'm pretty freakin' excited.
drew

Postby captain2man » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:33 pm

SLF/Avengers tonight at Warsaw.

and....

drew wrote:10/25- Peter Hook & The Light at BK Steel. My friend is Hook's publicist, every time he comes to town for these epic shows I am always invited and can never go. Either sickness, vacation, prior commitment.........this time looks good LOL. Not my fave set, I missed all the classic shows but this night we'll get- Joy Division hits, The New Order albums TECHNIQUE(great) & REPUBLIC(crappy with two good songs) and an encore of New Order hits.

This is also my first time seeing him - and boy - do I wish I could have gone to all the tours. It's amazing what he's doing - basically doing tours so that people who see him will see every single song Joy Division and New Order ever recorded. My wife saw the tour where he did both Substance records. I'm with you - I like Technique.....not so much Republic....but as you said, he's opening with a Joy Division set & closing with New Order hits - so I'm sure the show will be great regardless.

Also seeing BOC/UFO on Halloween night on Staten Island.

And Too Many Voices is opening up for Joe Wood (the guy who replaced Jack Grisham and basically took over TSOL from 1983-93) at the Kingsland in Brooklyn on 11/3. He's doing a full band set of his era of TSOL. I happen to think Change Today? and Revenge are both very solid albums. The other two not so much.
captain2man

Postby lewdd » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:35 pm

999 10/25 Catasauqua American Legion with The Clap and Transmission Now opening
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:30 pm

captain2man wrote:SLF/Avengers tonight at Warsaw.

See you there!
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:33 pm

drew wrote:11/9- Going to the Premiere of the Doc about Lydia Lunch "The War is Never Over" A friend of mine is one of the Producers so I've got to meet Lydia during the making but I think we might get to hang out with her afterward so I'm pretty freakin' excited.

More info please.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:35 pm

JGJR wrote:

See you there!

come say hello for sure....I'll be wearing an S.O.A. shirt with an Amebix sweatshirt with a Two Man Advantage work jacket!
captain2man

Postby drew » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:11 pm

and....

drew wrote:10/25- Peter Hook & The Light at BK Steel. My friend is Hook's publicist, every time he comes to town for these epic shows I am always invited and can never go. Either sickness, vacation, prior commitment.........this time looks good LOL. Not my fave set, I missed all the classic shows but this night we'll get- Joy Division hits, The New Order albums TECHNIQUE(great) & REPUBLIC(crappy with two good songs) and an encore of New Order hits.

This is also my first time seeing him - and boy - do I wish I could have gone to all the tours. It's amazing what he's doing - basically doing tours so that people who see him will see every single song Joy Division and New Order ever recorded. My wife saw the tour where he did both Substance records. I'm with you - I like Technique.....not so much Republic....but as you said, he's opening with a Joy Division set & closing with New Order hits - so I'm sure the show will be great regardless.

Also seeing BOC/UFO on Halloween night on Staten Island.

And Too Many Voices is opening up for Joe Wood (the guy who replaced Jack Grisham and basically took over TSOL from 1983-93) at the Kingsland in Brooklyn on 11/3. He's doing a full band set of his era of TSOL. I happen to think Change Today? and Revenge are both very solid albums. The other two not so much.

Cool. I’m going to try and get to that Kingsland show. I’m a big Joe-tsol fan(at least the albums you mentioned). Would like to check that out
drew

Postby drew » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:13 pm

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:11/9- Going to the Premiere of the Doc about Lydia Lunch "The War is Never Over" A friend of mine is one of the Producers so I've got to meet Lydia during the making but I think we might get to hang out with her afterward so I'm pretty freakin' excited.

More info please.

It’s at the IFC center. Part of their Docs fest. A good friend is a producer on the doc so I’ve got to swoon over Lydia on a couple of nights out. We’re going to the event and party and all that. That’s all I know right now.
drew

Postby lewdd » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:40 am

Misfits 12/14 Philly Wells Fargo Center
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:40 am

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:

More info please.

It’s at the IFC center. Part of their Docs fest. A good friend is a producer on the doc so I’ve got to swoon over Lydia on a couple of nights out. We’re going to the event and party and all that. That’s all I know right now.

Thanks; I could make it if was an afternoon thing (I see that it's in the evening), but in any case I'd like to see it eventually.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:40 am

captain2man wrote:
JGJR wrote:

See you there!

come say hello for sure....I'll be wearing an S.O.A. shirt with an Amebix sweatshirt with a Two Man Advantage work jacket!

I just saw this now and didn't see you there (it was packed). Both bands were great, but The Avengers stole the show (at least for me). They just smoked.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:12 am

Nov 9th Live Wire Show.

jaybird

Postby captain2man » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:01 am

JGJR wrote:
captain2man wrote:I just saw this now and didn't see you there (it was packed). Both bands were great, but The Avengers stole the show (at least for me). They just smoked.

SLF is one of my favorites of all-time....but age is setting in & you can tell....they've lost a bit off their fastball.

I think Avengers won the night....I agree with you on that.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:09 am

captain2man wrote:
JGJR wrote:
captain2man wrote:I just saw this now and didn't see you there (it was packed). Both bands were great, but The Avengers stole the show (at least for me). They just smoked.

SLF is one of my favorites of all-time....but age is setting in & you can tell....they've lost a bit off their fastball.

I think Avengers won the night....I agree with you on that.

I have to agree that it was missing a bit of the edge of the first time I saw them play Inflammable Material in full back in 2007 (they did it randomly one night in Philly and I happened to see it) or when I saw them in 2006 and I hadn't seen them since then. The Avengers really benefit greatly from their new rhythm section, especially Hector from The Zeros on bass. It was the most intense set I've ever seen them play.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:53 pm

I think part of the decline of the SLF set is Jake can't sing some of the early material like he could when he was a young kid and it doesn't come across with the same angst.
lewdd

Postby crus » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:02 pm

JGJR wrote:
crus wrote:Got a ticket to one of Gang of Four's Entertainment shows next month. Really looking forward to it.

Is it still just Andy?

Yeah, as far as long-time members go but I'm ok with that as I've never seen the original band. I just see it as a similar situation to the UK Subs (which is pretty much Charlie and whoever plays with him these days) and perhaps The Stranglers (I never caught them with Hugh Cornwell but saw them with their new guy back in the 90's and it sounded the same to my ears).
crus

Postby scannest » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:10 am

I'm headed to a Halloween cover show on Staten Island tomorrow. Buzzcocks, Nirvana, Guns 'n' Roses, and Weezer. Should be fun.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:45 am

crus wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Is it still just Andy?

Yeah, as far as long-time members go but I'm ok with that as I've never seen the original band. I just see it as a similar situation to the UK Subs (which is pretty much Charlie and whoever plays with him these days) and perhaps The Stranglers (I never caught them with Hugh Cornwell but saw them with their new guy back in the 90's and it sounded the same to my ears).

I was fortunate enough to see the original lineup of Gang of Four twice when they reunited back in 2005. I saw them again in 2011 (I think that's when Content came out) and it was OK, but absolutely nothing compared to the shows with the original band. Those were incomparable. The only time I saw the Subs was a few years ago and it was good, but again, that's the only time I've ever seen them.
Last edited by JGJR on Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:14 am

Months ago when it was announced, I thought I was going to see Helmet tonight. Then I decided to stay home...or so I thought.

I won tickets to see Ghost tonight in Trenton, NJ - so I'm taking my oldest and it will be a great time!
gregpolard

Postby DelGriffith » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:08 pm

wow..that a wonderfully stunning surprise!
gregpolard wrote:Months ago when it was announced, I thought I was going to see Helmet tonight. Then I decided to stay home...or so I thought.

I won tickets to see Ghost tonight in Trenton, NJ - so I'm taking my oldest and it will be a great time!
DelGriffith

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:14 pm

DelGriffith wrote:wow..that a wonderfully stunning surprise!
gregpolard wrote:Months ago when it was announced, I thought I was going to see Helmet tonight. Then I decided to stay home...or so I thought.

It is!
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:01 am

999 were great last night. Go see them on this short semi East Coast tour if you can. Great guys too.
lewdd

Postby earthdog70 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:24 pm

Peter Hook tonight-New Order hits and opening Joy Division set :bag:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby drew » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:42 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Peter Hook tonight-New Order hits and opening Joy Division set :bag:

He was amazing last night! I can't believe I stayed for three hours but I did! Totally worth it. Enjoy!
drew

Postby JGJR » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:47 pm

lewdd wrote:999 were great last night. Go see them on this short semi East Coast tour if you can. Great guys too.

A friend is at the New York show tonight and just sent me some videos of "Little Red Riding Hood" and "Obsessed." The latter especially smoked.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:48 pm

drew wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:Peter Hook tonight-New Order hits and opening Joy Division set :bag:

He was amazing last night! I can't believe I stayed for three hours but I did! Totally worth it. Enjoy!

If you made it through all of Republic, you're more patient than I likely would've been.
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:20 am

Drew-it was great! JGJR-yes Republic is the weakest link here. Beside "Regret" and "The Price of Love" the rest of that record isn't too great. But "Technique" was so good I just powered thru. The guy on guitar (didn't catch his name) sounded exactly like Bernard S, it was weird. :mrgreen:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby drew » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:08 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Drew-it was great! JGJR-yes Republic is the weakest link here. Beside "Regret" and "The Price of Love" the rest of that record isn't too great. But "Technique" was so good I just powered thru. The guy on guitar (didn't catch his name) sounded exactly like Bernard S, it was weird. :mrgreen:

Nice. Republic was easier to get thru because they were so good and totally worth it for the New Order & JD encores.
drew

Postby captain2man » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:53 pm

Peter Hook & The Light at Brooklyn Steel was incredible...one of the concerts of the year.

Republic is one of my least favorite New Order records (it starts fairly strong but fades out) - but him & his band were so good - it didn't matter. The songs came alive in a way they just don't on record.

Three hour show & loved every second.
captain2man

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse