The Thirteen

The Thirteen

Postby Michele » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:26 pm

While usually into heavier stuff, must admit that I enjoyed a lot the new Thirteen album, a solid example of melodic music with an energic side, this is my review online:
http://www.thenewnoise.it/the-thirteen-lift-off/

and a fast, raw and terrible english translation, I hope at least will give you the general sense of my words:

Once revealed to the world its secret history (The Secret History Of The Thirteen, 2008), the band led by Sal Cannestra and today completed by Peter Santa Maria and Jack Kontes, offers a second taste of its power-pop-tinged rock ' n'roll, with more than a nod to the real garage and to the London beat. With Steve Egerton (Descendents, ALL, Flag) in the control room, the Thirteen keep alive their tradition made of anthems that stick to you since the first listening, often tinged with a clear love for the Replacements and more weirdest rock'n'roll tradition, all in purpose of a songwriting always hovering between listener-friendly attitude and will to make feet stomp, energetic riffing and - why not? - also a subtle hint of Weezer flowing under the skin. We could also say that we are talking about the "right way" to lighten the mood and to face the summer, out of any carelessness and circus tricks, replaced by the solid experience of musicians who are around since a long time, from the hardcore scene (Cannestra in the early nineties militated in Sleeper, pre-Serpico band, just to give some coordinates). In short, we are talking about people who are serious even when having fun, because accustomed to consider the music first and foremost a matter of friendship and passion, something to share with others and able to change your life, more on a human level than economic to be honest. For this reason, Lift-Off! appears first of all as a genuine and cool album, flowing smoothly and never giving the annoying idea to be built at a table, it is moreover a solid treatise on the concept of power-pop and its junction with the life of the various rebels without a cause , easy as it is in its being net of preservatives and dyes.
Last edited by Michele on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Re: The Thirteen

Postby danny » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:29 pm

nice! i, too, dig what i've heard.
danny

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:06 pm

It's a great record. I hung out with JGJR and finally got my vinyl from the release show. Looks awesome.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Our bass player's wife is supposedly fluent in Italian. I will post her translation soon. But there is something poetically absurd about the Google translation -
" a subtle hint of Weezer flowing under the skin"
and my favorite
" a solid treatise on the concept of power-pop and its junction with the life of the various rebels without a cause"
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Michele wrote:While usually into heavier stuff, must admit that I enjoyed a lot the new Thirteen album, a solid example of melodic music with an energic side, this is my review online:
http://www.thenewnoise.it/the-thirteen-lift-off/

and a fast, raw and terrible english translation, I hope at least will give you the general sense of my words:

Once revealed to the world its secret history (The Secret History Of The Thirteen, 2008), the band led by Sal Cannestra and today completed by Jack Santa Maria and Peter Kontes, offers a second taste of its power-pop-tinged rock ' n'roll, with more than a nod to the real garage and to the London beat. With Steve Egerton (Descendents, ALL, Flag) in the control room, the Thirteen keep alive their tradition made of anthems that stick to you since the first listening, often tinged with a clear love for the Residents and more weirdest rock'n'roll tradition, all in purpose of a songwriting always hovering between listener-friendly attitude and will to make feet stomp, energetic riffing and - why not? - also a subtle hint of Weezer flowing under the skin. We could also say that we are talking about the "right way" to lighten the mood and to face the summer, out of any carelessness and circus tricks, replaced by the solid experience of musicians who are around since a long time, from the hardcore scene (Cannestra in the early nineties militated in Sleeper, pre-Serpico band, just to give some coordinates). In short, we are talking about people who are serious even when having fun, because accustomed to consider the music first and foremost a matter of friendship and passion, something to share with others and able to change your life, more on a human level than economic to be honest. For this reason, Lift-Off! appears first of all as a genuine and cool album, flowing smoothly and never giving the annoying idea to be built at a table, it is moreover a solid treatise on the concept of power-pop and its junction with the life of the various rebels without a cause , easy as it is in its being net of preservatives and dyes.

I really liked that review. Thanks for the translation. You reversed Peter Santa Maria and Jack Kontes' names (sorry if that's nitpicky but Peter is a good guy and I wanted to see his name correct!). I would never compare them to a band like The Residents, though. I'm curious why you think so.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Michele » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:57 am

that's right man, lucky the mistake in names is just on the translation and not on the review online (btw fixed also the translation), but thanks a million to point it out ;)
but right by now I discovered I completely mistake the name in the comparison, I was thinking to The Replacements and wrote down The Residents dumb me :D
so an error was made but it was about the bands not the musicians names....
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:22 am

Michele wrote:that's right man, lucky the mistake in names is just on the translation and not on the review online (btw fixed also the translation), but thanks a million to point it out ;)
but right by now I discovered I completely mistake the name in the comparison, I was thinking to The Replacements and wrote down The Residents dumb me :D
so an error was made but it was about the bands not the musicians names....

Ah OK. Thanks for clearing that up. The Replacements comparison makes much more sense here, though I would probably pay good money to see The Thirteen perform Third Reich and Roll live using tape loops and what not. :lol:
JGJR

Postby scannest » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:27 am

JGJR wrote:I would probably pay good money to see The Thirteen perform Third Reich and Roll live using tape loops and what not.

This is in fact our plan for this show with the Dickies on 11/2:
http://www.thenotewc.com/event/346185-d ... t-chester/
scannest

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:31 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:I would probably pay good money to see The Thirteen perform Third Reich and Roll live using tape loops and what not.

This is in fact our plan for this show with the Dickies on 11/2:
http://www.thenotewc.com/event/346185-d ... t-chester/

I saw that The Dickies are playing there, but didn't know you guys were opening that show until now. I have to say I'd really like to go (not sure if I'll be able to) and I've never been to that club. Heck, I've only been to West Chester once period and The Dickies were great the last time I saw them about 4-5 years ago.

Anyway, I know you're joshing, but that would be amazing.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:41 pm

For those who are curious to hear the melodic rock'n'roll stylings of the Thirteen, our latest release (LIFT-OFF!) is now available on Spotify for your listening pleasure. You'll have to type "thirteen lift off" in the search engine, but it's there.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:44 pm

scannest wrote:For those who are curious to hear the melodic rock'n'roll stylings of the Thirteen, our latest release (LIFT-OFF!) is now available on Spotify for your listening pleasure. You'll have to type "thirteen lift off" in the search engine, but it's there.

Find a drummer yet?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:50 pm

gregpolard wrote:Find a drummer yet?

First rehearsal Saturday. Fingers crossed.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:01 pm

scannest wrote:

You got it. Good luck!
gregpolard

Postby Mark T. » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:32 pm

scannest wrote:

How was practice? Good I hope!
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby lewdd » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:51 pm

scannest wrote:For those who are curious to hear the melodic rock'n'roll stylings of the Thirteen, our latest release (LIFT-OFF!) is now available on Spotify for your listening pleasure. You'll have to type "thirteen lift off" in the search engine, but it's there.

Will it become available anywhere else as I don't do spotify?
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:02 pm

lewdd wrote:

Will it become available anywhere else as I don't do spotify?

http://thethirteen.bandcamp.com/album/lift-off
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:28 pm

silly me i thought this was new material. i already had that release.
lewdd

Return to daghouse