Dag Nasty tribute set for Halloween (Long Island)

Dag Nasty tribute set for Halloween (Long Island)

Postby captain2man » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:37 am

For those on Long Island, myself along with a couple of my bandmates from Two Man Advantage & Too Many Voices (as well as Big Vinny Segarra from MintTone Records, Situated Chaos, Humstinger & Evacuate) will be doing one of those Halloween tribute sets.....a full set of Dag Nasty.

It will be at The Rail in Valley Stream on Saturday, October 26th.

One thing that's been tough is building up a good set-list. There were two ways to go - do all of Can I Say with a few extra tracks......or just do a well rounded set that covers pretty much everything.

We've opted for the second thing.....the best we could do is trim it down to 19 songs for an initial set list - 8 songs from Can I Say, 5 from Wig Out, 2 from Field Day, 1 each from Four on the Floor & Majority of One, plus Another Wrong to represent the Shawn Brown era & All Ages Show.

If you were seeing a Dag tribute band - what songs - in your opinion - would be absolutely essential?
captain2man

Re: Dag Nasty tribute set for Halloween (Long Island)

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:42 am

if you did my dog is a cat, i would be thoroughly pleased.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:24 am

Pretty much anything off the first two.
Welly

Postby scannest » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:49 am

The band Amber Jets did this on Staten Island a few years ago. Their singer did the Dave tunes and a special guest did the Cortner tunes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuNgI9sRtmc
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby dude munhoz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:30 am

Million Days.
Bottle This.
dude munhoz

Postby akissfan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:16 pm

scannest wrote:The band Amber Jets did this on Staten Island a few years ago. Their singer did the Dave tunes and a special guest did the Cortner tunes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuNgI9sRtmc

Mr. Cortner tearing it up! Awesome!
akissfan

Postby jaybird » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:58 pm

Doing Can I Say? plus a few more on 10/25 @ Small's in Hamtramck, MI, with Jay and Ryan from the Suicide Machines, and Ken from Reverend Guitars.

W00t.

jaybird

Postby captain2man » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:53 am

We did come up with a set ("we" being the Long Island tribute)......eight songs from Can I Say, four from Wig Out, plus Another Wrong & All Ages Show. 14 songs about 45 minutes - should be good.

Would liked to have covered all the records - but sometimes you gotta make sacrifices.

P.S. Any suggestions on how to dress up as Roger Marbury?
captain2man

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:03 am

captain2man wrote:We did come up with a set ("we" being the Long Island tribute)......eight songs from Can I Say, four from Wig Out, plus Another Wrong & All Ages Show. 14 songs about 45 minutes - should be good.

Would liked to have covered all the records - but sometimes you gotta make sacrifices.

P.S. Any suggestions on how to dress up as Roger Marbury?

Be tall, dye your hair blond (or shave your head depending upon the Roger era you're going for) and play a purple bass very adroitly.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby fiestaware » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:04 am

captain2man wrote:but sometimes you gotta make sacrifices.

To build a better world, you must make sacrifices.
fiestaware

Postby Janelle » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:18 am

Okay, The Rail. Who else is playing? I saw the CORAM (!!!!!! ah!!!!! - I'm scared of that far-out Suffolk ha) one is all-tribute, but is that just cos Halloween? I thought this one was canceled but then saw Vinny's post on my FB and I'm like, okay, we'll go to the Valley Stream one. I know it's early but do you know around when you might go on?! Sorry for all the questions. If you don't have info yet that's cool. I'll get in touch about it when it comes closer to the show!
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby captain2man » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:01 pm

Janelle wrote:Okay, The Rail. Who else is playing? I saw the CORAM (!!!!!! ah!!!!! - I'm scared of that far-out Suffolk ha) one is all-tribute, but is that just cos Halloween? I thought this one was canceled but then saw Vinny's post on my FB and I'm like, okay, we'll go to the Valley Stream one. I know it's early but do you know around when you might go on?! Sorry for all the questions. If you don't have info yet that's cool. I'll get in touch about it when it comes closer to the show!

We are doing both shows.

Saturday, October 26th at the Railroad Inn in Valley Stream and Friday, November 1st at O'Briens Pub in Coram.

I have no idea where we are in the line-up for either show.

The Coram show is pure tribute bands, aside from us, bands will be doing Green Day, NOFX, The Misfits, Avail and Jimmy Eat World.

I think the Valley Stream show will also be tribute bands.....I think one of the bands is doing The Specials. Not sure about the others.

We will be playing two extra songs at the Valley Stream show since we only have 30 minutes at the Coram show.

Tonight is our first practice, actually.....I think we've worked up a pretty solid set.
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:49 am

For any Long Islanders out there.....this Saturday night is the first of the two shows.

Coming together quite nicely I might add....

captain2man

Postby hkphooey » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:39 am

How was the show and what was the set list?
hkphooey

Postby captain2man » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:55 am

It went really well....the only video I can find was a 40 second clip that included the first 30 seconds of "Can I Say". Janelle & Clash77 were both there, so I'll let them give an unbiased opinion if they so wish. It's only on Facebook, so not sure how to post it.

The set was Values Here, One To Two, Circles, Can I Say, The Godfather, Trying, Justification, What Now?, All Ages Show, Never Go Back and Under Your Influence. People wanted to hear one more, so we did Another Wrong.

If you're on Long Island, we'll be doing it again on Friday night (11/1) at O'Brien's Pub in Coram.
captain2man

Postby hkphooey » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:26 pm

i saw that clip...we have some FB friends in common..
too much talking in the beginning of that clip...
plus that guitarist is good, but i know you've played with better guitarists in other bands!
hkphooey

Postby captain2man » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:38 pm

hkphooey wrote:i saw that clip...we have some FB friends in common..
too much talking in the beginning of that clip...
plus that guitarist is good, but i know you've played with better guitarists in other bands!

Yeah - I'd like to see a whole video. You have to remember that we had a huge amount of friends at this show (we'll probably have less friends out for the Coram show next week) - so there was a lot of bullshitting back & forth.

That guitarist is Eric Svirida, who is also my guitarist in Too Many Voices (he was also in The Last Crime back in the '90s). He's an amazing guitarist who, if you've heard any of our Too Many Voices stuff, is clearly influenced by Dag and Brian Baker.

I play guitar in Two Man Advantage and I'll tell you that without any doubt that Eric is 100x the guitarist I am (I think Skate, the other guitarist in 2MA, might say the same thing). On bass, I work at a more even level with him.....but on guitar, he blows me out of the water.

Who have I played who is better? In all seriousness, Eric is one of the best guitarists I've ever played with.
captain2man

Postby hkphooey » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:08 pm

That Ron guy!
I wish i could have seen the Dag show...& i hope i can someday see Too Many Voices..

I was just messing with you...
Love Ron....
hkphooey

Postby clash77 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:14 pm

Job well done Jeff !!!! Positive response from people where we were watching!! I wish we could have stayed for the rest of the bands..We had a great time!..Unfortunatelly,the LIRR is not known for its convenient
scheduling...See you at your next gig with the Dickies..
clash77

Postby captain2man » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:21 pm

hkphooey wrote:That Ron guy!
I wish i could have seen the Dag show...& i hope i can someday see Too Many Voices..

I was just messing with you...
Love Ron....

Ron Noiz??.....that guy sucks. He thinks because he has all these pedals that he's some great guitarist....bah....anyone can make noise like that.

Oh wait....this IS Ron?.....whoops. Yeah - you're pretty good.
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:22 pm

clash77 wrote:Job well done Jeff !!!! Positive response from people where we were watching!! I wish we could have stayed for the rest of the bands..We had a great time!..Unfortunatelly,the LIRR is not known for its convenient
scheduling...See you at your next gig with the Dickies..

Thanks Matt....I was psyched you made it out. See you at the Dickies.
captain2man

Return to daghouse