Fountains of Wayne

Fountains of Wayne

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Are there any other fans here? A few New York Times blogs (one written by Chris Collingwood, the other by Adam Schlesinger) prompted me to go back and listen to their entire discography. So far, I've made it to Out of State Plates and just have their last few albums left. Their 1st 3 albums are all excellent, as is some of that Out of State Plates collection. My favorite is still the 1st, s/t album.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Re: Fountains of Wayne

Postby scannest » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:22 pm

Loved them for a while, but found them less and less interesting with each record. And their live show is strictly dullsville.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:44 pm

scannest wrote:Loved them for a while, but found them less and less interesting with each record. And their live show is strictly dullsville.

I have to agree with you on the latter. I mean they were fine the two times I saw them (in 2003 at the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville, NJ and in 2005 at Central Park Summerstage), but clearly especially the 2nd time I saw them, it looked like they (esp. Chris) would have rather been anywhere else. Chris has been sober for years now, though, and wasn't back then, so I was wondering if their current live show would be better.

And I think Welcome Interstate Managers is way better than Utopia Parkway. I don't like the production of the latter, it's a bit too long (so is WIM, though), and the lyrics are too snarky (and for FoW, that's saying something) at times. It still has some of their best songs, though!
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:37 pm

this totally sounds like a band greg would love. didn't they have a video with rachel hunter?
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:53 pm

yourenotevil wrote:this totally sounds like a band greg would love. didn't they have a video with rachel hunter?

Indeed they did.

JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:20 am

I only know Stacy's mom song.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Return to daghouse