Is 6 Euros too much for a 7 inch?

Is 6 Euros too much for a 7 inch?

Postby The Snake » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:32 am

OK, a week ago I was at the show and one of the foreign MRR hyped bands had a distro with some prices that were too much for me. For example SOA demo is 4 US dollars from Dischord and on this distro it was 6 Euros which is way much more than 4 dollars. Also, some LPs were 18 Euros.
I know bands on tours have to make some profit on distro, I also carry my small distro with my band distro every time when I tour. But, believe me, I would never charge for a 7 inch more than 4 Euros (And I am usually selling them for 3 EU).
What is your opinion on that?
The Snake

Re: Is 6 Euros too much for a 7 inch?

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:01 am

Haven't been to Europe in two years, but isn't it like 1.3 Euro to the Dollar? So if you were selling a 7" for 4 Euros that would be like $2.50? So I don't think 6 Euro ($4.50) is bat-shit crazy? I dunno, I sold 7" in the 1990s for $2-$3. That is over 20 years ago. I just figured buying from crates at a show saves a little on postage and that any money made by the person selling it, would (at least some) be put back into him bringing more records/bands that I could like in the future. But again, that was 20 years ago, you can find anything online now (and for free) so not sure why people still lug crates to shows. For touring bands, I saw it as another way to support them but at least get something out of it (hate the "tip" jar bullshit).

Set what you think are fair prices. If people are buying stuff then I guess they think the prices make sense? If they aren't buying anything, then they don't think the prices make sense?

At my advanced age, when I look at merch I mainly think "Is there a T-shirt design that I could wear to work on a casual day that doesn't scream PUNX" and don't worry that much about the price. Unless it's like $25+ for a shirt or some shit. Fuck that noise.
FlexMyHead

Postby The Snake » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:08 am

Now, I see that there is not that much difference between 4 dollars and 6 euros, but still I think that 4 Euros for a seven inch is a reasonable price.
And it is not that here people can´t afford to buy merch that have prices by Western Europe standards but still the standard is not the same everywhere so I think sometimes you have to adapt to the country you are in.
The Snake

Postby Gary » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:11 pm

Usually here,7"'s are 4,maybe 5euro. Lp's are usually 10/12euro. That's at gigs,obviously it's more in shops.

Small pressing numbers and the cost of postage are making record prices only go up and up though.
Gary

Postby Knutsen » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:26 pm

I think 1€ is currently 1.15US$
6€ is ok for 7" with a lovely made jewel cover , colored wax + sticker, etc.
Otherwise 4€ is OK.

My old band from the 80s got contacted by some small label.
The want to run a re-issue of our old 7' from 1985.
Small edition of 200 copies to be sold for 7-8€ they said.
They promised that we each will get 1 copy as payment for the license.
I have not replied yet. Doesn't sound "PuNk" to me.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby The Snake » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:49 pm

Knutsen wrote:I think 1€ is currently 1.15US$
6€ is ok for 7" with a lovely made jewel cover , colored wax + sticker, etc.
Otherwise 4€ is OK.

My old band from the 80s got contacted by some small label.
The want to run a re-issue of our old 7' from 1985.
Small edition of 200 copies to be sold for 7-8€ they said.
They promised that we each will get 1 copy as payment for the license.
I have not replied yet. Doesn't sound "PuNk" to me.

Yeah, why 7 to 8 euros for a 7 inch and the band getting only 1 copy per member, it seems like cashing in on a old 80s band.
The Snake

Postby version sound » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:10 pm

I Paid $10 for the most recent Swervedriver single before postage. It's not an import either.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:10 am

I stopped buying 7''s pretty much. Yeah, 6 Euros is too high. I see a lot of 7''s in catalogs now for prices approaching $10 or more as well, which seems insane to me.

I probably have less than 10 of them right now. For whatever reason, I'm much likely to get poor quality vinyl, warps, general factory defects, etc. on 7''s compared to a 12'' format, it was the same thing back in the 90s with any DIY label. I'd rather a band release a 45rpm 12'' ep than a 7''.
patient_ot

Return to daghouse