The Riverdales...

The Riverdales...

Postby jeffb01 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:39 pm

Am I crazy or is this band unbelievably good. I've know about them for a long time, but recently heard their more recent work (post 2000) and I'm seriously impressed. What do you guys think?
jeffb01

Re: The Riverdales...

Postby gregpolard » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Love 'em. I though the last two albums they did when they got back together were awesome.

Storm The Streets is my favorite.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby tad ghostal » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:31 pm

I like the Riverdales. I thought that the last album, in particular, was really great. Too bad they probably aren't ever going to do anything else.
tad ghostal

Postby Gary » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:25 pm

Anyone know what the story is with the first lp on clear vinyl?
Gary

Postby tad ghostal » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:57 am

Don't know anything about the clear vinyl for the first album. A few years back, Ben mentioned that a limited 7" was going to come out and that never happened. Perhaps the animosity between Ben and Dan is preventing these things from happening.
tad ghostal

Postby MXV » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:19 am

I think if I wanted to listen to The Ramones I would play my Ramones records. I'm not interested in a Ramones tribute band.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:04 am

MXV wrote:I think if I wanted to listen to The Ramones I would play my Ramones records. I'm not interested in a Ramones tribute band.

You mean to tell me you don't listen to any bands that sound like other bands?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby jeffb01 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:13 am

MXV wrote:I think if I wanted to listen to The Ramones I would play my Ramones records. I'm not interested in a Ramones tribute band.

That's the thing. Maybe the first couple of records are that. That's kind of what I thought, too. But their last three albums are amazing. Much more than a Ramones-tribute band.
jeffb01

Postby Janelle » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:39 pm

Two words: "Mental Retard".
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:41 pm

tad ghostal wrote:I like the Riverdales. I thought that the last album, in particular, was really great. Too bad they probably aren't ever going to do anything else.

Was the last one they put out Tarantula? If so, omg "Bad Seed Baby" "Master Ninja" "The Girl In Lovers Lane" <333333
Janelle

Postby tad ghostal » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:27 pm

Janelle wrote:
tad ghostal wrote:I like the Riverdales. I thought that the last album, in particular, was really great. Too bad they probably aren't ever going to do anything else.

Was the last one they put out Tarantula? If so, omg "Bad Seed Baby" "Master Ninja" "The Girl In Lovers Lane" <333333

Yup, that's the one. Great record! And I agree with Jeff's post above, the early records might have been very much a wanna be Ramones thing (especially Storm The Streets), but I think they managed to put their own spin on it on the last few records.
tad ghostal

Postby MXV » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:35 am

gregpolard wrote:

Not ones that are as boring as The Riverdales were to me.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby tango fistula » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:47 pm

MXV wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Not ones that are as boring as The Riverdales were to me.

THIS.

That whole late 90's pop punk assembly line sound has aged about as
bad as rap metal to my ears. I can't imagine anyone is going to
uncover any Weasel product in 20 years and be blown away by
that discovery.
tango fistula

Postby The Snake » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:37 am

I like actually Storm Thew Streets them most which their most Ramones sounding record.
I don´t get what is all the fuss with the fact that Riverdales on that album sound better than any Ramones after Road To Ruin.
The Snake

Postby JGJR » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:11 am

The Snake wrote:I like actually Storm Thew Streets them most which their most Ramones sounding record.
I don´t get what is all the fuss with the fact that Riverdales on that album sound better than any Ramones after Road To Ruin.

I have no opinion on The Riverdales (never listened to them), but Pleasant Dreams is somehow still REALLY underrated as far as Ramones albums go. I'm sure Hunter will agree if he sees this.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:54 am

JGJR wrote:
The Snake wrote:I like actually Storm Thew Streets them most which their most Ramones sounding record.

I have no opinion on The Riverdales (never listened to them), but Pleasant Dreams is somehow still REALLY underrated as far as Ramones albums go. I'm sure Hunter will agree if he sees this.

Yep. That's my favorite Ramones album. "End of the Century" is darn good, too. I've never heard the Riverdales, or Screeching Weasel, but I have a hard time believing that any of their records are as good any Ramones album -- even one of the crummy ones.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby JGJR » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:48 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Yep. That's my favorite Ramones album. "End of the Century" is darn good, too. I've never heard the Riverdales, or Screeching Weasel, but I have a hard time believing that any of their records are as good any Ramones album -- even one of the crummy ones.

Well, I'd certainly rather listen to SW's Boogadax3 than say, most of Halfway to Sanity, but in general I'd rather listen to The Ramones, too. I like End of the Century a lot, too, but it would probably sound better better if Tommy or Ed Stasium produced it.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:35 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Screeching Weasel put out at least 5 LP's that are better than any Ramones album past 1979.
gregpolard

Postby tango fistula » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:51 pm

gregpolard wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Screeching Weasel put out at least 5 LP's that are better than any Ramones album past 1979.

Ok...

So....Bark Like A Dog and Emo beat out End of the Century and Pleasant Dreams and Too Tough to Die?

That's like saying Rancid is better then the Clash.

LITERALLY.

That limb has to be a thin one...but please go on ahead....I'm sure by the end of this thread I will
be sold on Weasels amazing song prowess and genre defining image.
tango fistula

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:55 pm

gregpolard wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Let's let the people decide!
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby Janelle » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:56 pm

tango fistula wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Yep. That's my favorite Ramones album. "End of the Century" is darn good, too. I've never heard the Riverdales, or Screeching Weasel, but I have a hard time believing that any of their records are as good any Ramones album -- even one of the crummy ones.[/q

Ok...

So....Bark Like A Dog and Emo beat out End of the Century and Pleasant Dreams and Too Tough to Die?

That's like saying Rancid is better then the Clash.

LITERALLY.

That limb has to be a thin one...but please go on ahead....I'm sure by the end of this thread I will
be sold on Weasels amazing song prowess and genre defining image.

End of the Century was 79 so it fits in his criteria
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:58 pm

But true Too Tough to Die is awesome as f*** and that was after 79...
Janelle

Postby tango fistula » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:00 pm

End Of The Century was released Feb 4th 1980
tango fistula

Postby JGJR » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:13 pm

The fact that Pleasant Dreams exists makes this theory null and void. Full disclosure: I haven't even heard five SW albums (though I generally really like what I have heard) but I've heard just about the entire Ramones discography.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:14 pm

Janelle wrote:But true Too Tough to Die is awesome as f*** and that was after 79...

It's a good album with some fantastic songs, but way overrated in the canon IMO.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:32 am

Boogadax3
My Brain Hurts
Wiggle
Anthem for a New Tomorrow
How To Make Enemies and Irritate People

I'd take all 5 of these over any FULL Ramones album post 1979, including "End Of the Century" which I do enjoy! And I fuckin' love the Ramones too.

Not trying to convince anyone, but I've never been from the school of thought of "IT CAME FIRST SO IT MUST BE BETTER".

Are all of you reading the board on your Nokia phones and your Gateway computers with 2MB of memory?
gregpolard

Return to daghouse