Kim Fowley: Dead

Kim Fowley: Dead

Postby pedro » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:44 pm

I'd like to thank him personally for giving us Joan Jett.

CNN wrote:Best known for launching the 1970's all-girl punk rock band the Runaways, producer and manager Kim Fowley has died. He was 75.

"It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Kim Fowley," independent music publisher Peer Music announced on its website Thursday. "With a career in the music business spanning over fifty years, Fowley was a singularly unique figure in the realms of rock history."

Fowley worked with a wide range of artists, including Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Modern Lovers, Blue Cheer, Kiss and Helen Reddy. But he will be remembered in the rock and roll history books for helping form the California punk band, the Runaways. That all-female group, which featured Joan Jett, released four albums in the late 1970s. One of their hit songs was "Cherry Bomb." The band, which became an overnight sensation, broke up in 1979. "There was a lurid quality to what he was trying to do" with "The Runaways," Rolling Stone contributing editor Anthony DeCurtis told CNN. He said Fowley's group of "the teenage girls being dangled out there as jailbait turned out to be really inspiring. What started out as a joke, became really serious." Jett and her post-Runaways group, the Blackhearts, are being inducted in to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/16/entertain ... index.html
Hello.
pedro

Re: Kim Fowley: Dead

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:53 pm

pedro wrote:I'd like to thank him personally for giving us Joan Jett.

CNN wrote:Best known for launching the 1970's all-girl punk rock band the Runaways, producer and manager Kim Fowley has died. He was 75.
"It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Kim Fowley," independent music publisher Peer Music announced on its website Thursday. "With a career in the music business spanning over fifty years, Fowley was a singularly unique figure in the realms of rock history."
Fowley worked with a wide range of artists, including Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Modern Lovers, Blue Cheer, Kiss and Helen Reddy. But he will be remembered in the rock and roll history books for helping form the California punk band, the Runaways. That all-female group, which featured Joan Jett, released four albums in the late 1970s. One of their hit songs was "Cherry Bomb." The band, which became an overnight sensation, broke up in 1979. "There was a lurid quality to what he was trying to do" with "The Runaways," Rolling Stone contributing editor Anthony DeCurtis told CNN. He said Fowley's group of "the teenage girls being dangled out there as jailbait turned out to be really inspiring. What started out as a joke, became really serious." Jett and her post-Runaways group, the Blackhearts, are being inducted in to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year.

And I'd like to thank the Runaways for being the first L.A. punk band.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby Chris Shary » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:57 pm

Without the Runaways, there probably won't be the Germs, so thanks KIM!
Chris Shary

Postby JGJR » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:25 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:

I never thought about that, but I think you're right. I don't think anyone came before them as they formed in 1975. I'm not 100% sure, though.

Anyway, I have very mixed feelings about Kim Fowley, but I do love The Runaways and some of the other recordings he's been involved with over the years. RIP.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:25 pm

Chris Shary wrote:Without the Runaways, there probably won't be the Germs, so thanks KIM!

Yep.
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:52 pm

JGJR wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

I never thought about that, but I think you're right. I don't think anyone came before them as they formed in 1975. I'm not 100% sure, though.

Anyway, I have very mixed feelings about Kim Fowley, but I do love The Runaways and some of the other recordings he's been involved with over the years. RIP.

I was actually joking. Notwithstanding the CNN article, I don't think even the Runaways themselves would claim to be a punk band. And I think the Nerves pre-dated them anyway, as did the Dogs (though I'm not sure when in 1975 the Dogs arrived in LA.)
xxxHunterxxx

Postby JGJR » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:12 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I was actually joking. Notwithstanding the CNN article, I don't think even the Runaways themselves would claim to be a punk band. And I think the Nerves pre-dated them anyway, as did the Dogs (though I'm not sure when in 1975 the Dogs arrived in LA.)

Yeah, I think The Dogs might've still been in Detroit then and I knew I was forgetting about someone (The Nerves). At the very least, The Nerves had the first independently released EP and were the first to tour IIRC.

As for The Runaways, I think Joan would've considered them a punk band; Lita and Sandy probably not as they were more Deep Purple fans and what not.
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:24 am

Friend on the dark side aka Facebook had this to say of him: He sexually assaulted a friend of mine when he lived in MD. He is a piece of shit. She was 18. I called the cops on him and he threatened to kill me.

I wrote this & got the party started: I know Kim Fowley wrote Alley Oop, discovered/formed The Runaways, had a decent radio show on The Underground Garage but seems he was a real dirtbag towards the ladies.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby john stabb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:28 am

But there must be some Suzi Quatro fans (at least this album-her best!) out there as she was Joan's idol + (with Billy mIdol) stole her signature growl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k57HRh8Aico

Suzi Quatro -Suzi Quatro (Full album)
1973 48 Crash, Glycerine Queen, Shine My Machine, Official Suburbian Superman, I Wanna Be Your Man,...
john stabb

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:32 am

john stabb wrote:he threatened to kill me.

He threatened to kill Danny Ingram once as well.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:49 pm

The Stooges were the first L.A. punk band.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby john stabb » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:32 am

I want to hear the Fowley-story, danny :?: I think he's a serious dirtbag but sure he put the Runaways together, blah blah blah. :roll:
john stabb

Postby danny » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:08 am

back in the late 80s, kim had moved to maryland and was working with a young guy who owned a studio off connecticut ave in Kensington. he came to see strange boutique at the bayou and approached me/us afterwards and said that he would be really interested in working with the band. i was initially flattered - i had his album and was a bit of a fan because of his connection to music counter-culture. he also had sort of crazy persona that, on the surface, is quite engaging.

we met with his producer guy - who, coincidentally, had a sky suite at the arena where the washington capitals played - visited the studio...and started talking about what we might do together. he had some strange ideas about the band - he liked the music...and was fixated on Monica...but wanted to really make the band 'about' her. he seemed really enthusiastic... albeit with crazy ideas about trying to mold us into more a joan jett, suzi quatro kind of thing (he mentioned leather and boots), and we were contemplating whether this would be a good idea or not. for fred, it wasn't a problem. (those who know him, know what i mean.) I was kinda sucked into it because i was getting free use of the sky suite for caps games any time i wanted. fred got sucked into it because he was sort of star struck (though he didn't know who kim was when i first introduced them.) And i guess we were all flattered and tantalized with the prospect of reaching a bigger audience.

anyway - he presented us with a contract that basically had us locked into him for ten years...and with him getting a sizable chunk of publishing royalties. He visited the crappy little house in rockville where monica and i lived (where strange boutique rehearsed...and later where ultracherry violet and emmapeel rehearsed)...and we tried to negotiate. But he wasn't budging. Suddenly it was all about 'him' and how he was going to make us 'big' - so he deserved a huge cut. (As i recall, it was something along the lines of 70% of publishing, 10 or 20 percent of which went to the studio guy/producer who would be giving us free studio time in return.) It was deal breaker right from the start.

the caps were in the playoffs...and like a junkie...i was hooked on the free food and drinks and the great view from the sky suite...so, though the band had decided the 70% was a non-starter right out of the gate...i asked for a few weeks to think about it. eventually, i started feeling bad about stringing him along, so I called and told him that it was just too much to be beholden for ten years at such a cost. we thanked him for his interest - and wished him well. I kinda hoped he might start negotiating at this point...but the crazy writing on the wall had already started to emerge.Kim flipped out on the phone...he screamed "i've got a pistol and i know where you live, danny. i'm going to come out there and shoot you." I told him he was out of his mind and that this was proof that we'd made the right decision. He also made some threats like he was going to make sure we never made it in 'the industry' and some such other things. it was so over the top - monica and i just cracked up.

he never shot me. but i didn't doubt for a second that he had a gun and was seriously pissed off. i can understand how many were charmed, influenced and helped by him - heck, even sociopaths have friends and followers. and he definitely viewed himself as a Svengali. but there was something really dark and dangerous about him, so it's quite easy for me to believe some of the other allegations i've read/heard.
danny

Postby MXV » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:37 am

Danny how is it that I've never heard of Strange Boutique until this post?! I'm going to have to seek out your old records now.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby danny » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:50 am

MXV wrote:Danny how is it that I've never heard of Strange Boutique until this post?! I'm going to have to seek out your old records now.

eh - it was a kind of a post punk cure/banshees sort of thing i did with my then girlfriend/x-wife. not sure anyone here would dig it.
danny

Postby john stabb » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:17 am

Now I remember the story, danny. :lol: You should've recorded that threatening conversation & placed it on a record :!:

MXV, Madhouse & Strange Boutique were both quite impressive bands so danny's just being modest. :oops: And danny's drumming was always one of the biggest highlights for me playing a gig (GI played with Strange Boutique)/seeing them. You never heard that story of Madhouse selling their name to Prince, my friend :?:

And I think many would dig it based on post-punk tastes so....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv3rglbt2AY
john stabb

Postby MXV » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:49 am

danny wrote:
MXV wrote:Danny how is it that I've never heard of Strange Boutique until this post?! I'm going to have to seek out your old records now.

eh - it was a kind of a post punk cure/banshees sort of thing i did with my then girlfriend/x-wife. not sure anyone here would dig it.

I listened to the stuff on Spotfy shortly after posting this. I dug it! I will have to find the vinyl releases sometime.
MXV

Postby MXV » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:49 am

I have the Madhouse records and thought they were pretty good (though I need to revisit them as it has been a long time since I gave them a spin). I never knew or heard the story of them selling the name though!
MXV

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:25 am

I love Strange Boutique! I bought all the CD's when they had the reunion show at The Black Cat a few years back. Unfortunately I don't think Danny was behind the kit at that show. MXV-check out their Magazine cover too :mrgreen:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Return to daghouse