Glaswegian Indie Appreciation Thread

Glaswegian Indie Appreciation Thread

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:32 am

I just scored tickets to Belle and Sebastian's June show. And tonight I'm going to see the Vaselines.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Re: Glaswegian Indie Appreciation Thread

Postby scannest » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:12 am

Is the new B&S album out yet? I like the single very much. They have nice track record of good-to-great albums. I don't think they have any outright stinkers in their collection.
I'm surprised you like them, however, given their professed fondness for a certain NY Mets catcher...
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:15 am

I wish I was seeing the Vaselines (they play tomorrow in Philly ) but I can't swing it. They were great in 2010
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:55 am

scannest wrote:Is the new B&S album out yet? I like the single very much. They have nice track record of good-to-great albums. I don't think they have any outright stinkers in their collection.
I'm surprised you like them, however, given their professed fondness for a certain NY Mets catcher...

It's streaming on NPR's site (though the Sleater-Kinney Lp, which is also streaming there, seems to have stolen its thunder). I haven't had a chance to listen yet. Notwithstanding their paean to Mike Piazza, I love B&S. They're right up my alley since most of my childhood was spent in a car listening to soft rock radio while my mom chauffeured my older sisters around to various activities. My fave Lp is "Fold Your Arms . . .," which a lot of people hate, though I don't get why. "Write About Love" wasn't bad. It just wasn't especially memorable.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:04 am

My fave is The Life Pursuit. It's their 'glam' move, as far as I can tell. Rocks just a little harder than most of their catalog. And yeah, my fondness for '70s AM gold is well-documented.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:39 pm

scannest wrote:Is the new B&S album out yet? I like the single very much. They have nice track record of good-to-great albums. I don't think they have any outright stinkers in their collection.

I'm honestly surprised YOU like them, scannest, but that is cool. I'm a big fan. The album is out January 20th and it's really good (their best since Dear Catastrophe Waitress).
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:40 pm

gregpolard wrote:I wish I was seeing the Vaselines (they play tomorrow in Philly ) but I can't swing it. They were great in 2010

This.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:42 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:

It's streaming on NPR's site (though the Sleater-Kinney Lp, which is also streaming there, seems to have stolen its thunder). I haven't had a chance to listen yet. Notwithstanding their paean to Mike Piazza, I love B&S. They're right up my alley since most of my childhood was spent in a car listening to soft rock radio while my mom chauffeured my older sisters around to various activities. My fave Lp is "Fold Your Arms . . .," which a lot of people hate, though I don't get why. "Write About Love" wasn't bad. It just wasn't especially memorable.

Agreed about Write About Love. It's definitely the weakest of their recent albums, though not bad at all. The reason a lot of people don't like the albums after If You're Feeling Sinster is simply because they're not as good as If You're Feeling Sinister. But scannest is right. No outright stinkers in their catalog.
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:43 pm

I listened to the new record today. There's a LOT of disco on there. The jury is still out.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby matt » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:18 pm

I just got tickets to see B&S at Red Rocks, backed by the Colorado Symphony Orchestra. Charles Bradley is opening. Should be an experience.
matt
Site Admin

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:08 pm

matt wrote:I just got tickets to see B&S at Red Rocks, backed by the Colorado Symphony Orchestra. Charles Bradley is opening. Should be an experience.

Oh man. I wonder if he's opening the show here. They didn't announce an opener. The new album is great, BTW.
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:34 pm

I really like the latest comp by The Bluebells on Cherry Red Records-Exile on Twee Street. Craig Gannon (The Fifth Smith) played on a few tracks. :geek:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Return to daghouse