the filth and fury

the filth and fury

Postby Janelle » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:18 pm

So this is a doc that's been around a long time now and crazy I haven't seen it yet. Anyway it was really cool with so much footage and interviews with the guys at the time the doc was made And then these at the time sid interviews. I'd never seen or heard before. Ew but at the same time then they had nancy talking too thats upsetting. Like she was a part of it. Fuck off but she had way too much to do with it. Then to see johnny rotten getting all emotional with what happened to sid. I liked it

Ay then who ever knew the silver jubilee was funded by richard branson ha
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Re: the filth and fury

Postby clash77 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:37 pm

Janelle wrote:So this is a doc that's been around a long time now and crazy I haven't seen it yet. Anyway it was really cool with so much footage and interviews with the guys at the time the doc was made And then these at the time sid interviews. I'd never seen or heard before. Ew but at the same time then they had nancy talking too thats upsetting. Like she was a part of it. Fuck off but she had way too much to do with it. Then to see johnny rotten getting all emotional with what happened to sid. I liked it

Ay then who ever knew the silver jubilee was funded by richard branson ha

This is Punk /HC board..Why would you mention such a subject??. Xo
clash77

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:58 am

I saw it with Pilster.

Pretty funny.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Chris Shary » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:07 am

Brilliant film, and before FILMAGE, it was the best band doc I had seen. Truly great stuff. It simply could not have had the intelligent depth that it had without JulienTemple being such long friends with the band. Very important film.
Chris Shary

Postby version sound » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:15 pm

Janelle wrote:Ew but at the same time then they had nancy talking too thats upsetting. Like she was a part of it. Fuck off but she had way too much to do with it. Then to see johnny rotten getting all emotional with what happened to sid. I liked it

She's an integral part of the story. Also, she was my one of my wife's childhood best friend's cousin, so I'm like nearly related to her. Anyway, maybe she was a junkie slag, but she was murdered, probably by Sid, so why do we hate her so much? I mean, whatever she was, she wasn't a freakin' murderer.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:42 pm

She has been portrayed as if she thought she was the manager of the band, and to have taken Sid on a downward spiral out of control worse than he was before she came into his life. Of course, this is not based on facts that I know of, but solely based on what I remember from some of the films about Sid or the band.
lewdd

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:49 pm

lewdd wrote:She has been portrayed as if she thought she was the manager of the band, and to have taken Sid on a downward spiral out of control worse than he was before she came into his life. Of course, this is not based on facts that I know of, but solely based on what I remember from some of the films about Sid or the band.

Nancy had a really troubled life. Her mother, Deborah, wrote an interesting book about her.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:04 pm

lewdd wrote:She has been portrayed as if she thought she was the manager of the band, and to have taken Sid on a downward spiral out of control worse than he was before she came into his life. Of course, this is not based on facts that I know of, but solely based on what I remember from some of the films about Sid or the band.

Based on what I've read, everyone hated Nancy (except Sid) and treated her like shit. I have never read a particularly good reason for this, outside of the fact that they didn't think she was "cool". Some people blame her for bringing heroin into the scene, but that's bullshit because the Heartbreakers had already brought that. That scene was amazing musically, but personally, it seems like most everyone was an asshole, completely focused on their own image and what and who was cool and wasn't. It seems like women were treated in a particularly shitty manner, even girls in bands. So, for an American woman to come into "their" scene who wasn't "cool" by their standards was probably an outrage, so they treated her like a pariah. If she attempted to manage the band, good for her. Malcolm certainly wasn't bothering with it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:09 pm

version sound wrote:

Based on what I've read, everyone hated Nancy (except Sid) and treated her like shit. I have never read a particularly good reason for this, outside of the fact that they didn't think she was "cool". Some people blame her for bringing heroin into the scene, but that's bullshit because the Heartbreakers had already brought that. That scene was amazing musically, but personally, it seems like most everyone was an asshole, completely focused on their own image and what and who was cool and wasn't. It seems like women were treated in a particularly shitty manner, even girls in bands. So, for an American woman to come into "their" scene who wasn't "cool" by their standards was probably an outrage, so they treated her like a pariah. If she attempted to manage the band, good for her. Malcolm certainly wasn't bothering with it.

You should read her mom's book. Nancy was a very difficult person. She almost certainly had borderline personality disorder.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:44 pm

I bought it when it came out, but never read it. I'm sure she was no Sunday in the park, but based on what Viv Albertine said in her book plenty of people in that scene were highly disfunctional and unpleasant, so she should have fit right in.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:09 pm

Here's a more balanced assessment of Nancy as a person:

http://nymag.com/arts/popmusic/features/51394/
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Knutsen » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:57 am

Great documentary.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby version sound » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:44 pm

PS: Yeah, the movie is great. I saw it in the theater and own the DVD.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:37 pm

version sound wrote:
Janelle wrote:Ew but at the same time then they had nancy talking too thats upsetting. Like she was a part of it. Fuck off but she had way too much to do with it. Then to see johnny rotten getting all emotional with what happened to sid. I liked it

She's an integral part of the story. Also, she was my one of my wife's childhood best friend's cousin, so I'm like nearly related to her. Anyway, maybe she was a junkie slag, but she was murdered, probably by Sid, so why do we hate her so much? I mean, whatever she was, she wasn't a freakin' murderer.

People who slag her:
a) Don't understand that she was a (by all accounts) severely mentally ill young woman barely out of teenage years and also a junkie.
b) Don't understand that the time Sid joined, they were on a downward spiral anyway. It's never a great idea to kick out your main songwriter and replace him with a guy who could barely play.
c) I don't think Sid killed her, especially with the amount of dope in his system.

And I agree with all of you re: the quality of The Filth and the Fury, but it's been way too long since I've seen it.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby tango fistula » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:10 pm

SUPPOSEDLY Rockets Redglare was bragging about killing Nancy Spungen for her
money roll that she kept in the drawer. She woke up from a dope doze and found
him in the process of stealing it. He was their dope supplier that night and waited
around for them to pass out.

Lots of punkers in that hotel room that night too...

Weird that they closed the case. You think some young lawyer hotshot would've went through
that whole case inch by inch since then.
tango fistula

Return to daghouse