MDC - Beer City Remaster Reissue

MDC - Beer City Remaster Reissue

Postby 77clash » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:17 pm

I know Jimmy HB knows about this because it was one of his top reissues for 2014 on his blog. For those that do not, Beer City reissues a remastered version of MDC that is 45 songs in 71 minutes and includes the following.

Millions of Dead Cops LP
Multi Death Corporation 7in
Millions of Dead Children/Chicken Squawk 7in with some unreleased tracks
Live at CBGBs 1983
Stains 7in
77clash

Re: MDC - Beer City Remaster Reissue

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Yes, please. Somebody fax this to me forthwith!
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby 77clash » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:41 pm

It sounds great so far. I am coming up on the live set in a few minutes.
77clash

Postby 77clash » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:56 pm

sounds like a soundboard recording
77clash

Postby jeffb01 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:12 pm

I picked it up. It's awesome. The live show sounds amazing for 1983.

It's worth it for "Corporate Deathburger" and "Dick for Brains" from the Stains "John Wayne..." session. I've never even heard of those songs before.

I just wish they had included "Missile Destroyed Civilization" from the peace comp... It would of made it a complete "first four years"....

btw, does anyone know the deal with Pecking Order and Death of a Nun (same song, different lyrics, supposedly recorded at the same time-ish)?
jeffb01

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:49 am

Yeah, this record is crazy good. The Stains stuff is a revelation. If you like MDC, you need to own it.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby jeffb01 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:15 am

here's my review I wrote on amazon:

You probably already know this album is great - it's a punk classic. And you probably already own it. I've bought this album at least 4 times since the '80s. So what you need to know is why do you have to buy it again. Here's a list.
1. Remastered and sounds better than ever (by a long shot).
2. Includes their early singles: John Wayne single when they were the Stains, Multi Death Corporation, and Millions of Dead Children.
3. MOST IMPORTANT REASON: Includes extra songs from 1980 John Wayne was a Nazi sessions. John Wayne and Born to Die were on the original single and have been widely available, but for the first time, there's also Corporate Deathburger and Dick For Brains. They sound sloppy and slow, just like the rest of the John Wayne single. I've been an MDC fan for years (decades) and I've never heard these. Amazing.
4. An amazing live show from CBGB's from 1983. It must be from the soundboard, but how did this stay hidden for all these years. You just don't hear old live punk shows that sound this good. Sure, MDC is the epitome of "shut up and play", but that goes with the MDC territory.
5. There's also extra songs from the Millions of Dead Children session that were generally available. An interesting note is that previous editions had left out Death of a Nun and put Pecking Order instead (same music, different lyrics). I don't know why there are two versions but in any case, this version has both. I don't think Death of a Nun (which was on Dead Children) was available digitally before, though I'm not sure.

Well, there you have it. It's the definitive version. I bought the MP3 version of this album and unfortunately, it didn't come with a digital pdf booklet, so I can't comment on the booklet, which the Beer City website says contains lyrics and liner notes. I also wish they had included "Missile Destroyed Civilization" from the PEACE comp so it would of been contained all the essential "First Four Years". That song is easily available and there is 72 minutes of music here (the absolute max that will fit on a CD) so I totally understand.
jeffb01

Postby drew » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:17 pm

Great review!

So much better than the version I have, mine is Millions of Dead Cops/More Dead Cops but now it's worth $40! I'll buy this new one & sell that one.......
drew

Postby lewdd » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:05 pm

drew wrote:Great review!

So much better than the version I have, mine is Millions of Dead Cops/More Dead Cops but now it's worth $40! I'll buy this new one & sell that one.......

I should look into selling mine too but it is boxed up right now.
lewdd

Postby Janelle » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:44 pm

Would my cassette be worth anything haha. I have vinyl too
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby drew » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:56 am

Janelle wrote:

Maybe. on Amazon $40 was the cheapest for a used cd. you should try ebay.
drew

Postby MXV » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:34 am

The absolute max that can fit on a CD is 80 minutes. Otherwise great review Jeff!
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby jeffb01 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:48 am

MXV wrote:The absolute max that can fit on a CD is 80 minutes. Otherwise great review Jeff!

thanks MXV. I think it used to be that long in the '80s... ha ha, oh well... just looked it up... it used to be 74 minutes, but like you said, it's now 80 min.
jeffb01

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:30 pm

jeffb01 wrote:
MXV wrote:The absolute max that can fit on a CD is 80 minutes. Otherwise great review Jeff!

thanks MXV. I think it used to be that long in the '80s... ha ha, oh well... just looked it up... it used to be 74 minutes, but like you said, it's now 80 min.

The self-titled Mission of Burma compilation on Rykodisc was (I think) 80 minutes and it came out in the late '80s.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby jeffb01 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:49 pm

JGJR wrote:The self-titled Mission of Burma compilation on Rykodisc was (I think) 80 minutes and it came out in the late '80s.

You're right, but it sounds like it was the first...

according to discogs, for whatever that is worth...

This Rykodisc release was the first compact disc to contain 80 minutes of music; 78 minutes had previously been the longest length possible to encode on a CD. This fact was used to help promote the release, though it carried a warning that some players may not be able to read the last song.

http://www.discogs.com/Mission-Of-Burma ... se/1129709

http://gizmodo.com/5729864/why-the-cd-i ... nutes-long
jeffb01

Postby Janelle » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:37 pm

drew wrote:
Janelle wrote:

Maybe. on Amazon $40 was the cheapest for a used cd. you should try ebay.

No I was being facetious. I wouldn't give it up.
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Return to daghouse