Je Suis Charlie

Je Suis Charlie

Postby scannest » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:39 am

I've had some version of this question cross my mind countless times since 9/11/01. It always goes something like this - Is it possible that all the goodness in the world that can be attributable to religion really outweigh all the evil in the world attributable to the same? In light of recent events I think I finally have my answer and it is a resounding NO.

To paraphrase a great Woody Allen joke - If God ever came back to earth and saw everything that was being done in his name, he'd never stop throwing up.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Re: Je Suis Charlie

Postby Janelle » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:58 am

Resoundingly agreed.
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:55 am

What a difference though - and I know this doesn't have anything to do with what you're saying about religion, but just the attack: Think a couple weeks ago how Sony pulled the movie The Interview out of fear from that cyber terrorism.
What at least I've seen after this abhorrent attack on free speech - that caused so many unnecessary deaths - is that today, in my paper, in the editorial page they showed cartoonists' reactions from around the world. And there are Islamic depictions, mostly of pens against big knives and stuff and not that depiction of Mohammed that some people of this faith feel it's OK to kill over. Anyway, with like what President Obama said, and different world leaders, we're not going to let this stifle our liberties and free speech rights.
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:23 pm

scannest wrote:I've had some version of this question cross my mind countless times since 9/11/01. It always goes something like this - Is it possible that all the goodness in the world that can be attributable to religion really outweigh all the evil in the world attributable to the same? In light of recent events I think I finally have my answer and it is a resounding NO.

To paraphrase a great Woody Allen joke - If God ever came back to earth and saw everything that was being done in his name, he'd never stop throwing up.

I'm right there with you (and Woody Allen) on this.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse