Taylor Swift/Miley Cyrus

Taylor Swift/Miley Cyrus

Postby clash77 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:26 am

On tour.With special guest Marie Osmond..Gig dates TBA..Hope to see all my dag friends at the NYC gig!!!.Should be Rad!!
clash77

Re: Taylor Swift/Miley Cyrus

Postby Janelle » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:25 am

In the words of Casey Royer, rad but sad.
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby gregpolard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:39 am

Miley isn’t even on the same level as Taylor Swift, though she did cover the Smiths a couple times in concert.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:59 pm

gregpolard wrote:Miley isn’t even on the same level as Taylor Swift, though she did cover the Smiths a couple times in concert.

Precisely; what folks who have never listened to her music don't get is that Taylor (and Kelly Clarkson) are light years ahead of 90% of other mega-popular stuff like that in terms of talent, songwriting, vocal ability and general all-around likeability. Whenever I turn on one of those awards show (Grammys or AMA or whatever), they're usually the only ones I can tolerate.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:01 pm

Mike Watt played bass on a Kelly Clarkson song or two.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:04 am

clash77 wrote:...special guest Marie Osmond..

Oh snap, Gramps! You showed them!
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Janelle » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:11 am

scannest wrote:
clash77 wrote:...special guest Marie Osmond..

Oh snap, Gramps! You showed them!

:lol:

Yeah, that Marie Osmond reference came out of left field.
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby scannest » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:20 am

Janelle wrote:Yeah, that Marie Osmond reference came out of left field.

I don't think kids ever dug Marie Osmond. I mean, Donny sure, but Marie...

And can we all agree that this is one of the great Glam Metal songs of all-time?

scannest

Postby drew » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:27 pm

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Miley isn’t even on the same level as Taylor Swift, though she did cover the Smiths a couple times in concert.

Precisely; what folks who have never listened to her music don't get is that Taylor (and Kelly Clarkson) are light years ahead of 90% of other mega-popular stuff like that in terms of talent, songwriting, vocal ability and general all-around likeability. Whenever I turn on one of those awards show (Grammys or AMA or whatever), they're usually the only ones I can tolerate.

Both of you should be beaten with a salami...... :lol:

A good friend of mine is working with Taylor Swift on those NYCgo ads......maybe I'll get you two an autogragh.
drew

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:29 pm

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Both of you should be beaten with a salami...... :lol:

A good friend of mine is working with Taylor Swift on those NYCgo ads......maybe I'll get you two an autogragh.

Please!
gregpolard

Postby john stabb » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:35 am

If you take out the Miley, replace her with Juliette, and switch Marie for Donny (leaving Taylor in, of course) - that might a damned good gig. Hell, if Mike Watt plays with Kelly, I'm in. ;)
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby john stabb » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:37 am

and hopefully the all-star jam will be a set of old Clash/Dead Boys songs with a Pistols tune tossed in for good measure. :idea:
john stabb

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:02 pm

John Taylor from Duran Duran said one of his favorite shows in 2014 was Miley.

I thought he was clean and sober now. :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby scannest » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:24 pm

earthdog70 wrote:John Taylor from Duran Duran said one of his favorite shows in 2014 was Miley.

I thought he was clean and sober now. :lol:

Right, cuz Duran Duran were all about bringing the ROCK.

Puh-leeze.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:55 pm

I like Taylor Swift. Unfortunately, her recent singles (e.g., "Shake It Off" and "We Are Never Getting Back Together") have just been one set of chord changes repeated for the duration of the song. Her earlier singles were much more sophisticated from a songwriting standpoint and, to my ears, much more enjoyable. I particularly like this song:

World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby clash77 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:33 pm

john stabb wrote:and hopefully the all-star jam will be a set of old Clash/Dead Boys songs with a Pistols tune tossed in for good measure. :idea:

John..Did you take your pill before posting this??
clash77

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:54 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I like Taylor Swift. Unfortunately, her recent singles (e.g., "Shake It Off" and "We Are Never Getting Back Together") have just been one set of chord changes repeated for the duration of the song. Her earlier singles were much more sophisticated from a songwriting standpoint and, to my ears, much more enjoyable. I particularly like this song:

I’m not familiar with anything pre-Red but this is good. I must investigate. Thanks for sharing!
gregpolard

Postby john stabb » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:28 am

My meds have nothing to do with any of this conversation, clash77. Taylor Swift makes me neither angry or depressed. :evil:
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:28 pm

Thanks for posting that, Hunter. I enjoyed that thoroughly, too. It's very striking to me that the lyrics are very reminiscent of The Dixie Chicks' "Lubbock or Leave It" in certain ways. No wonder she's pulled further and further away from country (even the quasi alt-country of songs like this). And man, what a voice.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:07 am

SOLD!!!

Unless of course tickets are sold out.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:24 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:SOLD!!!

Unless of course tickets are sold out.

Municipal Waste is the opening act.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:53 pm

I listened to a little bit of Taylor Swift while my niece was visiting last week. I agree with Hunter's assessment that there just isn't a heck of a lot going on in the new singles. I like my pop music to be filled with hooks and melody. And "repetitive" is not the same as "catchy".
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:18 am

scannest wrote:I listened to a little bit of Taylor Swift while my niece was visiting last week. I agree with Hunter's assessment that there just isn't a heck of a lot going on in the new singles. I like my pop music to be filled with hooks and melody. And "repetitive" is not the same as "catchy".

What's this? A rationale reply for why you don't like something other than just attacking those who do? You sure you're in the right place, Sal????
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:41 pm

"Shake it Off" is an amazing pop song that is incredibly catchy and sounds like nothing else out there right now. If you guys don't like that song, you either just don't like pop, or you are too tied to the same old guitar based formula that people have been cranking out since at least the early '60s.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:56 pm

Shake It Off is such an earworm too.
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:27 pm

version sound wrote:"Shake it Off" is an amazing pop song that is incredibly catchy and sounds like nothing else out there right now. If you guys don't like that song, you either just don't like pop, or you are too tied to the same old guitar based formula that people have been cranking out since at least the early '60s.

Clearly, those are the only two options. Nothing else is possible.
Hello.
pedro

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:42 pm

pedro wrote:
version sound wrote:"Shake it Off" is an amazing pop song that is incredibly catchy and sounds like nothing else out there right now. If you guys don't like that song, you either just don't like pop, or you are too tied to the same old guitar based formula that people have been cranking out since at least the early '60s.

Hmmm. I could've sworn I identified a TS song I like that is poppy and does not employ the same old guitar-based formula. Maybe I'm confusing myself with clash77 again.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:53 pm

gregpolard wrote:Shake It Off is such an earworm too.

I dunno that that is a compliment. I can think of lots of jingles that qualify as earworms. Just cuz I can't get them out of my head doesn't mean I want them in there in the first place.
As far as Shake it Off is concerned, I'll go as far as saying that it is better than Welcome to New York, but that's it. But it's no "Get Lucky" or "Happy" to name just 2 recent pop hits I like quite a bit.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:19 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Shake It Off is such an earworm too.

I dunno that that is a compliment. I can think of lots of jingles that qualify as earworms. Just cuz I can't get them out of my head doesn't mean I want them in there in the first place.
As far as Shake it Off is concerned, I'll go as far as saying that it is better than Welcome to New York, but that's it. But it's no "Get Lucky" or "Happy" to name just 2 recent pop hits I like quite a bit.

On my end I intended it as a compliment. To each their own. I think its a great song and it's not even my favorite on the album.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:37 pm

pedro wrote:

Let me rephrase that. If you can't objectively appreciate the quality of the songwriting, production, and performance, then you are a stupidhead dummy butt.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:42 am

More importantly VS, who is yer new avatar? It looks a little like Madonna circa 1980 or so.
scannest

Postby drew » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:58 am

A forum that is 99% men, average age...40...talking about how much they love Taylor Swift.......I think you guys have officially put us on the FBI watch list. good going.
drew

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:05 am

drew wrote:A forum that is 99% men, average age...40...talking about how much they love Taylor Swift.......I think you guys have officially put us on the FBI watch list. good going.

I'm closer in age to Taylor Swift than I am in age to 80% of you guys!
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:09 am

gregpolard wrote:
drew wrote:A forum that is 99% men, average age...40...talking about how much they love Taylor Swift.......I think you guys have officially put us on the FBI watch list. good going.

Watch it, Grelg. You came to US. In the law game, we call it "moving to a nuisance."
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:18 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Watch it, Grelg. You came to US. In the law game, we call it "moving to a nuisance."

That's how us leopards roll, man.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:03 am

scannest wrote:More importantly VS, who is yer new avatar? It looks a little like Madonna circa 1980 or so.

Nailed it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:08 am

First of all, TS is in her 20s and 100% legal.

Second, you say that like a bunch of 40 year old dudes talking about the music they've been into since they were kids isn't already an indicator of widespread suspended adolescence.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:39 am

version sound wrote:

First of all, TS is in her 20s and 100% legal.

Second, you say that like a bunch of 40 year old dudes talking about the music they've been into since they were kids isn't already an indicator of widespread suspended adolescence.

Check and mate.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:45 pm

I'd just rather listen to "Mean" or "Bad Blood" or any number of her other tunes.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:17 pm

JGJR wrote:

I'd just rather listen to "Mean" or "Bad Blood" or any number of her other tunes.

I've never heard a bad T. Swift song.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby clash77 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:36 pm

Like Tay is so cool and like I love Ariana.OMG and Miley too!!!!, We're like so spoiled right now!!.I can remember band camp and........
clash77

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:07 pm

U MAD BRO?
gregpolard

Postby clash77 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:23 pm

gregpolard wrote:U MAD BRO?

Not mad, just sick.The scene has changed..I think thats sad.
clash77

Postby JGJR » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:32 am

clash77 wrote:I can remember band camp and........

JGJR

Postby john stabb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:34 am

Hunter, VS, JGJR & fellas, you checked out the Ronstadt concert I posted :?: Her renditions of GIRLS TALK & such might make you rethink TS. :?
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:15 pm

john stabb wrote:Hunter, VS, JGJR & fellas, you checked out the Ronstadt concert I posted :?: Her renditions of GIRLS TALK & such might make you rethink TS. :?

I've heard her version of "Girls Talk" (she also covered "Talking in the Dark" and "Party Girl," 2 other great EC songs, on Mad Love) as I had that album at one point. Her versions are OK, but then again there are very few good covers of EC songs IMO. I think I had the album with her cover of "Alison" on it, too. It's Living in the U.S.A.
JGJR

Return to daghouse