The Last - "Danger"

Re: The Last - "Danger"

Postby JGJR » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:48 am

My vinyl copy came yesterday. The packaging is exquisite and I'm really happy about that as I think that in general it's an afterthought in this day and age. Of course, having Pettibon do the front cover is a big help. The vinyl looks beautiful (mine is on red) and well, I'm just glad I ponied up for it.

as for the music, as I keep listening, I notice a similarity with/resemblance to some of TSOL's more recent material or that Manic Low album that came out last year, like a '60s beat group/early '80s SoCal mix.

And I agree with wretch. "I Don't Want Know What to Say" is the album's best song (formerlurker, WTF does it have to do with Morrissey, though?), though "I'm Not Crazy" is a close second for me. And the chorus of "Unreal Love." I hate to sound like a Mickey D's ad, but I'm lovin' it.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:50 am

Oh and flippity doo da, flippity day!
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:52 am

I also got my vinyl and concur with the message above. However, this label should understand that a pre-order means that you should get the record on or before the release date, not a week later.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:53 am

gregpolard wrote:I also got my vinyl and concur with the message above. However, this label should understand that a pre-order means that you should get the record on or before the release date, not a week later.

And that it doesn't cost that much moolah to add a frickin' dl code to the vinyl version when you're making only 200 copies! Otherwise, this!
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:59 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I also got my vinyl and concur with the message above. However, this label should understand that a pre-order means that you should get the record on or before the release date, not a week later.

And that it doesn't cost that much moolah to add a frickin' dl code to the vinyl version when you're making only 200 copies! Otherwise, this!

Agreed (we're starting to sound like yourenotevil)

I ended up buying it on iTunes as well, so I guess they win because they got me to buy the same album twice. haha
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:31 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Agreed (we're starting to sound like yourenotevil)

I ended up buying it on iTunes as well, so I guess they win because they got me to buy the same album twice. haha

Well, they could use the support, so I don't want to belabor my point, but it is kind of whack.
JGJR

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:47 am

Pre-ordered and iTunes as well. What the hell they need support!
Chris Shary

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:51 am

Chris Shary wrote:Pre-ordered and iTunes as well. What the hell they need support!

If this means some more live shows say, in the Philadelphia region than I'm even more happy I bought two copies :)
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:31 am

gregpolard wrote:
Chris Shary wrote:Pre-ordered and iTunes as well. What the hell they need support!

If this means some more live shows say, in the Philadelphia region than I'm even more happy I bought two copies :)

You and me both!
JGJR

Postby Knutsen » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:35 am

Henry looks really happy!
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:06 pm

Two songs on this record suck: the title track and Morrissey tune. Everything else is great.
FormerLurker

Postby gregpolard » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:41 pm

FormerLurker wrote:Two songs on this record suck: the title track and Morrissey tune. Everything else is great.

Different strokes.....you hate two of my favorite tracks!
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:16 pm

This record is great. The only song I really don't care for is Red Hair.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:27 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:This record is great. The only song I really don't care for is Red Hair.

I really like that tune, but what the fuck is it about?
FormerLurker

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:11 pm

gregpolard wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:Two songs on this record suck: the title track and Morrissey tune. Everything else is great.

Different strokes.....you hate two of my favorite tracks!

I'm with Greg. The "Morrissey" track is the album's best song, followed closely by "I'm Not Crazy," "Faces in Your Eyes" and "Unreal Love."
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:12 pm

FormerLurker wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:This record is great. The only song I really don't care for is Red Hair.

Might it be one of the ones about his wife given what was written in the liner notes? I have no idea, though, honestly.
JGJR

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:34 pm

JGJR wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

Might it be one of the ones about his wife given what was written in the liner notes? I have no idea, though, honestly.

She doesn't have red hair, though.
FormerLurker

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:33 pm

FormerLurker wrote:
JGJR wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

fact. btw, "Red Hair" reminds me of THE KINKS
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:09 pm

WrEtcH wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:
JGJR wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

So what's it about? Jaybird?
FormerLurker

Postby Knutsen » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:29 am

FormerLurker wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:
JGJR wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

So what's it about? Jaybird?

Stop. No asking others. Answer for yourself!
Knutsen

Postby gregpolard » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:40 pm

I still can't believe Former Lurker isn't into "I don't know what to say".

Just listened to the new album again, so good.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:24 pm

Listening to "L.A. Explosion" now. I love "Danger" but it's definitely not as good as this.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:42 am

gregpolard wrote:Listening to "L.A. Explosion" now. I love "Danger" but it's definitely not as good as this.

I have read through this entire thread (well most of it) again and I can't seem to find any evidence of anyone other than formerlurker thinking that Danger is their best record. Does anyone else actually agree? It's really good, but I have to agree with Greg here.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:50 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Listening to "L.A. Explosion" now. I love "Danger" but it's definitely not as good as this.

I have read through this entire thread (well most of it) again and I can't seem to find any evidence of anyone other than formerlurker thinking that Danger is their best record. Does anyone else actually agree? It's really good, but I have to agree with Greg here.

Are you calling me a liar?!?!?!?!?!?!?
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:22 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Are you calling me a liar?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I know of one person, but he's not on this board.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:11 am

To be clear, even though Danger has 4 shitty songs on it, it blows LA Explosion out of the water. If I want to listen to the Mammas and the Papas, I'll listen to them and not LA Explosion.
FormerLurker

Postby gregpolard » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:18 am

FormerLurker wrote:To be clear, even though Danger has 4 shitty songs on it, it blows LA Explosion out of the water. If I want to listen to the Mammas and the Papas, I'll listen to them and not LA Explosion.

"You serious, Clark?"
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:02 am

a mutual friend of Knutsen and I played a song that was supposed to be THE first single released before "She Don't Know Why I'm Here." Had that song came out first, THE LAST would have been in the same conversations with THE WEIRDOS, X and THE GERMS instead of their Paisley Underground tag.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:48 pm

WrEtcH wrote:a mutual friend of Knutsen and I played a song that was supposed to be THE first single released before "She Don't Know Why I'm Here." Had that song came out first, THE LAST would have been in the same conversations with THE WEIRDOS, X and THE GERMS instead of their Paisley Underground tag.

What song is it? Have they ever released it?
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:49 pm

gregpolard wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:To be clear, even though Danger has 4 shitty songs on it, it blows LA Explosion out of the water. If I want to listen to the Mammas and the Papas, I'll listen to them and not LA Explosion.

"You serious, Clark?"

Pretty much my reaction...
JGJR

Postby Knutsen » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:21 pm

FormerLurker wrote:To be clear, even though Danger has 2 lame songs on it, it blows LA Explosion out of the water. If I want to listen to the Mammas and the Papas, I'll listen to them and not LA Explosion.

I am with you. Hold tight.
Knutsen

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:55 pm

Knutsen wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:To be clear, even though Danger has 2 lame songs on it, it blows LA Explosion out of the water. If I want to listen to the Mammas and the Papas, I'll listen to them and not LA Explosion.

I see that crack is readily available in Germany as well as in the RVA. Good to know. :lol:
JGJR

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:29 pm

JGJR wrote:
Knutsen wrote:

I see that crack is readily available in Germany as well as in the RVA. Good to know. :lol:

LOL
FormerLurker

Postby gregpolard » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:36 am

Formerlurker will be happy to know that when I was listening to "Danger" while working at home the other day, my wife walked in during the "Morrissey" song and said "Is this guy trying to be Moz or something?"
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:06 am

Will pick this up on my next US trip I reckon.
Welly

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:31 am

gregpolard wrote:Formerlurker will be happy to know that when I was listening to "Danger" while working at home the other day, my wife walked in during the "Morrissey" song and said "Is this guy trying to be Moz or something?"

Tell her I said thank you.
FormerLurker

Postby gregpolard » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:14 pm

You got it.

Also.....I'm really coming around on "Danger" as being my most listened to of their albums.
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:58 pm

man, I think "difference" is one of the best songs on "danger" and here's a piece where Joe explains it.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/14/Februa ... MoQLIr2.01

Today Joe Nolte from veteran L.A. rockers The Last tells us about the song "Difference" which comes from their latest album "Danger". Here is the story:
Back about what seems like a century or two ago, I came up with a long-ish song called "Difference". The Last debuted the thing in the immediate wake of the release of our first album, "L.A. Explosion", at the famous Gazzari's club on the Sunset Strip, playing with the Go-Go's. The song quickly became our most requested song, and we immediately recorded it for our second album.

Which never came out. We did more albums through the subsequent years, but I held off on trying to revive "Difference". It was too important and too close to me, and it needed to be done right.

Fast forward to 2013, and with the rhythm section of Bill Stevenson and Karl Alvarez behind me, it was clearly time to record and release the thing.

But I can't tell you how I wrote that song without telling you about the famous Elks Lodge Riot of St Patrick's Day, 1979…

Now, as impossible as it may sound today, back in the spring of 1979 there was a real concern that the days of Punk might be numbered. Sid Vicious had just died, Ska and Rockabilly seemed to be lurking in the wings as the New Big Things, and it was harder than ever to find places that would allow you to put on a show.

That St. Patrick's Day, March 17, 1979, someone was able to find a place - the Elks Lodge building next to MacArthur Park had made itself available for a special show that was going to be professionally recorded for a possible live Alley Cats album. Augmenting the bill would be the Zeros, the Plugz, X, and the aforementioned Go-Go's. It seemed cool, even as it felt a little bit as if it might be the swan song for the Hollywood scene.

As it turned out, a series of misunderstandings led to a ridiculously over-zealous response by L.A.'s Finest, who quickly assembled outside, and at a signal, bedecked in full riot gear, began to march steadily and ominously to a stairwell where a few hundred punk rock kids sat peacefully.
Then they just started hitting. I saw kids set upon and clubbed to the ground at random, with no provocation, I saw panic, fear and confusion everywhere, as we all raced around on mini Search and Rescue missions, to try to get ourselves and our friends out of there in one piece. The local hospitals did double duty that night, as you might imagine.

But more about that later.

I had spent most of that spring working on the "L. A. Explosion" album. I had been trying to write as time allowed, but I was stuck. I had two songs in the works that I liked very much, but they just would not allow themselves to be finished. One of them was a sort of Rolling Stones meet the Who in late 1966 melody, which had for some reason inspired a vision of an apocalypse, with buildings falling down, etc. ("You know you must believe - you know it must come down")

The other songs was simply a series of verses, which sounded like Bob Dylan channeling Donovan and ending up sounding like Springsteen. It had actually started as a sort of Zimmerman-esque freewheeling ballad, but had edged a little into "Born to Run" territory as it developed. It clearly needed to tell a story.

And that was the problem. With both songs. I didn't have a story.

The poor things languished, unfinished.

Anyway, in those days I was hanging out with legendary Back Door Man co-founder Phast Phreddie, and a guy named Jeff Pierce, who was soon to start a band called the Gun Club. At this point in time we were close drinking buddies, frequently joined by Keith Morris. Now of course, Phred and Keith have been sober for decades, Jeff is dead, and I alone remain to salute the days when we were all so impossibly young.

But as I spent more and more time working on the album, things seemed to be falling apart. The scene seemed to be slipping away. There was no real central gathering spot anymore, and indeed some people were even leaving town, among them being Jeff Pierce.

I had tried unsuccessfully to talk him out of it, but he was determined to leave Los Angeles for the greener pastures of New York. One night, I ended up drinking in a van with Phreddie, and learned that Jeff had actually left town. Then, almost in the same breath, he let me know that a certain girl I had been carrying a torch for had just slipped beyond my reach, boarding, in a manner of speaking, the Rockabilly Train. The double shock was devastating. I wanted to lash out, I wanted to cry, I wanted to rage against the monstrous meddlings of the Fates who apparently seemed determined to rob me of whatever joys I might be able to pull out of my miserable life. I was mad, I was beyond mad, I was furious, and yet depressed beyond any sane form of sadness. I had clearly hit bottom.

We finished our beers, and then Phreddie and I walked up the street.

And right into the middle of the famous Elks Lodge Riot of St Patrick's Day, 1979…

Hearing is believing. Now that you know the story behind the song, listen for yourself and learn more about the album

Read more at http://www.antimusic.com/news/14/Februa ... KIcdKR4.99
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:22 pm

This is cool!

I am itching to see them play.
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:04 pm

gregpolard wrote:This is cool!

again, I love that song and just interesting the reference of the Elks Lodge which was supposed to be where BLACK FLAG debuted and where FLAG played their 2nd LA gig.

I haven't seen THE LAST since Stockage of 2003, but I'm hearing I might get a chance this year.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby 77clash » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:07 pm

WrEtcH wrote:

again, I love that song and just interesting the reference of the Elks Lodge which was supposed to be where BLACK FLAG debuted and where FLAG played their 2nd LA gig.

I haven't seen THE LAST since Stockage of 2003, but I'm hearing I might get a chance this year.

Any chance they will be one of the PRB club shows?
77clash

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:18 pm

77clash wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:

;)
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:53 am

WrEtcH wrote:
77clash wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:

;)

I loved reading that story and would also love to see them play one day.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:54 am

When they play shows is it always the Bill/Karl lineup or only when they play w/ Descendents?
gregpolard

Postby FormerLurker » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:45 am

gregpolard wrote:When they play shows is it always the Bill/Karl lineup or only when they play w/ Descendents?

That last thing.
FormerLurker

Postby WrEtcH » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:30 am

gregpolard wrote:When they play shows is it always the Bill/Karl lineup or only when they play w/ Descendents?

THE LAST line up with Bill and Karl doesn't happen too much. otherwise, they do have other members in the band aside from Joe and Mike Nolte. One time THE LAST played in LA, my friends Lisa (Joe's wife) was on bass and Rufo was on drums (that would be Lizard & Someguy, for you dork boarders out there.)
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:42 pm

WrEtcH wrote:

THE LAST line up with Bill and Karl doesn't happen too much. otherwise, they do have other members in the band aside from Joe and Mike Nolte. One time THE LAST played in LA, my friends Lisa (Joe's wife) was on bass and Rufo was on drums (that would be Lizard & Someguy, for you dork boarders out there.)

This reminds me that when my friend Jack Rabid's band Springhouse played with them once in New Haven, CT (this was in the late '80s or early '90s), their then drummer didn't know their older, L.A. Explosion material and so Jack sat in on drums during their encore and they played stuff like "Every Summer Day, "She Don't Know Why I'm Here," etc. He told me that Springhouse got on really well with The Last and that is no surprise as Jack is a huge fan and long-time champion of the band from their first single.
Last edited by JGJR on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:44 am

Ordered a Last shirt from Lisa. Can't wait for it to arrive :)
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:07 pm

confirmed,

The Last
Just a heads up. The Last will be playing in Las Vegas during punk rock bowling weekend, Monday night (Memorial Day). Details of the show to be announced. The lineup will be Joe, Mike, PhiLo, Karl, and Bill!
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:09 pm

WrEtcH wrote:confirmed,

The Last
Just a heads up. The Last will be playing in Las Vegas during punk rock bowling weekend, Monday night (Memorial Day). Details of the show to be announced. The lineup will be Joe, Mike, PhiLo, Karl, and Bill!

Philo Cramer from FEAR or someone else who goes by that name? Wow if so.
JGJR

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse