Best Reunion Gig

Re: Best Reunion Gig

Postby JGJR » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:55 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Chris Shary wrote:First reunion show DESCENDENTS did in the fall of 96 was at a gay bar Nightengales. It wasn't really announced, but was CRAZY, CRAZY packed. First song in power went out, I was standing on Bill's drum cases next to Jon Snodgrass, bend over because the ceiling was so low. It was so unbelievable that we were seeing DESCENDENTS. Afterwards everyone was wide eyed, unable to believe what had happened, this is band included. Truly a high mark for me.

Sounds amazing and one of the best gigs I've ever seen was the impromptu '93 Descendents reunion at City Gardens. I got to see them 3x touring for Everything Sucks and once at Riot Fest East in 2011 and they were all great, but none could possibly compare.

Was going to say, since I knew you were at this show....if you didn’t mention it, I’d know you were lying!

You mean the 2011 show? I would just be forgetful then. I wouldn't leave it out on purpose. It was a memorable one, though!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:01 pm

i don't get it all as far as giving a fuck about what people like or don't like. this is not some hardcore only message board anyway. in fact, most of the people on here seem to be long removed from hardcore and are into other types of music. i am not into taylor swift at all, but if people love her that is fine with me. i make a few jokes here and there about it, but it is all meant to be taken with a grain of salt. it is not surprising that people who listen to the same records they did when they were 15 thirty years down the line have some of the most boring taste in music.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:03 pm

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Chris Shary wrote:First reunion show DESCENDENTS did in the fall of 96 was at a gay bar Nightengales. It wasn't really announced, but was CRAZY, CRAZY packed. First song in power went out, I was standing on Bill's drum cases next to Jon Snodgrass, bend over because the ceiling was so low. It was so unbelievable that we were seeing DESCENDENTS. Afterwards everyone was wide eyed, unable to believe what had happened, this is band included. Truly a high mark for me.

Sounds amazing and one of the best gigs I've ever seen was the impromptu '93 Descendents reunion at City Gardens. I got to see them 3x touring for Everything Sucks and once at Riot Fest East in 2011 and they were all great, but none could possibly compare.

Was going to say, since I knew you were at this show....if you didn’t mention it, I’d know you were lying!

You mean the 2011 show? I would just be forgetful then. I wouldn't leave it out on purpose. It was a memorable one, though!

I meant the City Gardens one.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:08 am

Not listed:

Buzzcocks in 1989ish at the Ritz in NYC and the old 9:30 Club in DC.
Gang of Four at the new 9:30 Club in DC. I think that was 2004?
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:55 am

pedro wrote:Not listed:

2005; I saw the Irving Plaza show on that tour in New York. Great reunion for sure!

http://gang-of-four-gigography.blogspot ... 52005.html
JGJR

Postby drew » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:13 pm

JGJR wrote:
pedro wrote:Not listed:

2005; I saw the Irving Plaza show on that tour in New York. Great reunion for sure!

http://gang-of-four-gigography.blogspot ... 52005.html

That was a great show but they were even better at the Brooklyn Cyclone Stadium. They blew the Pixies off the stage....
drew

Postby scannest » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:34 pm

drew wrote:That was a great show but they were even better at the Brooklyn Cyclone Stadium. They blew the Pixies off the stage....

I saw that Brooklyn show. As someone who wasn't much a fan going in, I thought they were terrific.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:34 pm

Not listed and cared about by very few:

Sweet Baby Jesus played a pop-punk fest thing in Baltimore with Cometbus on drums, Richie Butcher on Bass. Totally pop-beatles-punk songs about girls! I was stoked.

Oh, and by the looks of it, this thread (and every thread to be honest) needs some:

FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:52 pm

scannest wrote:
drew wrote:That was a great show but they were even better at the Brooklyn Cyclone Stadium. They blew the Pixies off the stage....

I saw that Brooklyn show. As someone who wasn't much a fan going in, I thought they were terrific.

Yeah, that whole tour was terrific. We saw them around that same time at some short-lived club near Times Square or maybe it was the Hard Rock Cafe there or some really awful venue (they were still great, though) I totally forgot they played Across the Narrows. We went the day that Beck, The Raveonettes, Belle and Sebastian, The Polyphonic Spree and others played at Cyclone Park.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:59 pm

I know it's been mentioned a few times, and not blowing smoke up Stabb's ass - but the G.I. reunion in 2010 was absolutely amazing and worth the roadtrip down there. Never got to see G.I. when they were really around....and it was better than I could have thought. It's exactly the way reunions should be done.....all guys who were actually in the band, well rehearsed, and a great selection of songs from the entire catalog (not just the era that Robbins & Moffet were in).

I can also say that at that same show, my old friends The Goons reunited to open up that show. We spent many a good time with those guys on the road and to see them again at that show was pretty awesome (tragically, their drummer committed suicide a short time after that).

Crumbsuckers at BB Kings in 2006 was pretty great.

Merel at The Grand Victory in Brooklyn in early 2013 was awesome - and a reunion I'd never in a million years thought I'd see.

1.6 Band getting back together on back to back years (both shows at Cake Shop) AND putting out a 7" that picked up right where they had left off.

Black Army Jacket (also at Cake Shop) a couple of years back.

And the relatively recent Rorschach shows have all been mind-blowing.

Throbbing Gristle at the Brooklyn Masonic Temple about six years ago or so was also pretty memorable.
captain2man

Postby Hal » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:03 pm

captain2man wrote:I know it's been mentioned a few times, and not blowing smoke up Stabb's ass - but the G.I. reunion in 2010 was absolutely amazing and worth the roadtrip down there. Never got to see G.I. when they were really around....and it was better than I could have thought. It's exactly the way reunions should be done.....all guys who were actually in the band, well rehearsed, and a great selection of songs from the entire catalog (not just the era that Robbins & Moffet were in).

Totally agree...one of my favorite shows of the last decade. So worth the money I spent to get down there. This video still gives me chills (even the Stabb/Midge make-out sessions)

Hal

Postby Janelle » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:56 pm

captain2man wrote:I know it's been mentioned a few times, and not blowing smoke up Stabb's ass - but the G.I. reunion in 2010 was absolutely amazing and worth the roadtrip down there. Never got to see G.I. when they were really around....and it was better than I could have thought. It's exactly the way reunions should be done.....all guys who were actually in the band, well rehearsed, and a great selection of songs from the entire catalog (not just the era that Robbins & Moffet were in).

I can also say that at that same show, my old friends The Goons reunited to open up that show. We spent many a good time with those guys on the road and to see them again at that show was pretty awesome (tragically, their drummer committed suicide a short time after that).

And that we got to all - you, me, Matt - go together was really fun. That was an amazing time for sure.
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:08 pm

Damn that GI clip rules.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:16 am

Janelle wrote:

And that we got to all - you, me, Matt - go together was really fun. That was an amazing time for sure.

Yes! For sure.
captain2man

Postby john stabb » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:52 pm

Thanks for the GI love, my friends. And 2 more I forgot.

Pedro's right with the Buzzcocks '89 gig @ old 9:30 - AMAZING NIGHT :!: But I still refuse to see Undertones w/o Fergal.

Village People opening (and BUMMING SO MANY BALTIMORONS OUT :lol: ) for a fuggin' Pink Floyd Tribute band in early 90's @ Hammerjack's.

Also, Greg dosen't look a thing like Carson Daily. :roll:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby clash77 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:02 pm

yourenotevil wrote:i don't get it all as far as giving a fuck about what people like or don't like. this is not some hardcore only message board anyway. in fact, most of the people on here seem to be long removed from hardcore and are into other types of music. i am not into taylor swift at all, but if people love her that is fine with me. i make a few jokes here and there about it, but it is all meant to be taken with a grain of salt. it is not surprising that people who listen to the same records they did when they were 15 thirty years down the line have some of the most boring taste in music.
Too bad ..The fact that you exist annoys me..Have you ever talked to a female??.Any friends??.The answer is NO ..SAD!!
clash77

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:36 pm

clash77 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:i don't get it all as far as giving a fuck about what people like or don't like. this is not some hardcore only message board anyway. in fact, most of the people on here seem to be long removed from hardcore and are into other types of music. i am not into taylor swift at all, but if people love her that is fine with me. i make a few jokes here and there about it, but it is all meant to be taken with a grain of salt. it is not surprising that people who listen to the same records they did when they were 15 thirty years down the line have some of the most boring taste in music.
Too bad ..The fact that you exist annoys me..Have you ever talked to a female??.Any friends??.The answer is NO ..SAD!!

the answer is YES! funnily enough, your old lady hit me up on facebook with a friend request. guess you aren't as witty as you like to think. the fact that I exist annoys you? that is just funny to me, because I could give two shits about you.
yourenotevil

Postby clash77 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:51 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
clash77 wrote:
Too bad ..The fact that you exist annoys me..Have you ever talked to a female??.Any friends??.The anlllll

the answer is YES! funnily enough, your old lady hit me up on facebook with a friend request. guess you aren't as witty as you like to think. the fact that I exist annoys you? that is just funny to me, because I could give two shits about you.

Ha..You still hav'nt answered either of my questions asshole!..Ok..I wouldn't leave it at that but........
clash77

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:55 pm

Be nice guys. As my girl Taylor would say, “Shake It Off"
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:57 pm

clash77 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
clash77 wrote:
Too bad ..The fact that you exist annoys me..Have you ever talked to a female??.Any friends??.The anlllll

Ha..You still hav'nt answered either of my questions asshole!..Ok..I wouldn't leave it at that but........

i answered yes to your questions. if you want to talk shit and argue you need to step up on your reading comprehension game. or keep name calling and being king of the crybabies. for someone who tries to be salty, you sure have a low tolerance for having your bullshit flung back at you.
yourenotevil

Postby clash77 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:06 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
clash77 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
clash77 wrote:

Ha..You still hav'nt answered either of my questions asshole!..Ok..I wouldn't leave it at that but........[/qu

i answered yes to your questions. if you want to talk shit and argue you need to step up on your reading comprehension game. or keep name calling and being king of the crybabies. for someone who tries to be salty, you sure have a low tolerance for having your bullshit flung back at you.

Weak dummy..I gave you an open thread to attack me, and you blew it..Useless clown!!..So answer the burning question.Are you gay or just unable to communicate with women?? Or with anyone??.If gay, fine..just say so ..
clash77

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:26 pm

clash77 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
clash77 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
clash77 wrote:

Ha..You still hav'nt answered either of my questions asshole!..Ok..I wouldn't leave it at that but........[/qu

Weak dummy..I gave you an open thread to attack me, and you blew it..Useless clown!!..So answer the burning question.Are you gay or just unable to communicate with women?? Or with anyone??.If gay, fine..just say so ..

if you are gay, that's fine with me too. why are you so interested? that seems pretty gay to me......
yourenotevil

Previous

Return to daghouse