Trash Bar

Trash Bar

Postby Janelle » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:52 pm

Another one gone :( Had many a fun night there.

I met my Clash77 there
http://gothamist.com/2014/12/29/rip_trash_bar.php
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Re: Trash Bar

Postby JGJR » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Janelle wrote:Another one gone :( Had many a fun night there.

I met my Clash77 there

I thought you two met at a Buzzcocks (?) show at Irving and had the same shirt or something (maybe The Damned?). I guess I have the story wrong. Oh well. Sorry!

Anyway, that sucks re: Trash Bar closing, but I can't say I'm surprised given how cleaned up Williamsburg has gotten in recent years.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Janelle » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:25 pm

JGJR wrote:

I met my Clash77 there

I thought you two met at a Buzzcocks (?) show at Irving and had the same shirt or something (maybe The Damned?). I guess I have the story wrong. Oh well. Sorry!

Anyway, that sucks re: Trash Bar closing, but I can't say I'm surprised given how cleaned up Williamsburg has gotten in recent years.

Awww! You have two stories in one ha - We first met at Trash Bar at Murphy's Law show New Year's Eve, 2009 turning to 2010. We were both wearing Damned t-shirts - his Damned Damned Damned, mine the skull with the woman's reflection in it. Nothing ever came of it and then we met by chance outside Irving for the Buzzcocks in May and hung out there - Captain Two Man, sorry I hung out with him all night even though I went with you guys! Then we went to the Buzzcocks a few days later when they playd LI!

Yeah, I guess it was only a matter of time till something like this would happen. Now I'm worried for the one across the street, Grand Victory...
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby scannest » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:46 am

I was gonna bring up Grand Victory. Clubs come and clubs go. It's not easy to get worked up about the Trash Bar closing (excluding Janelle's sentimental reasons). Place was a dump. I did see one of my top 10 shows of all time there - the Figgs in the fall of 2006.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby captain2man » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:26 am

Two Man played there as much as any other venue save the Continental. Always loved playing there.....drink in the front, rock in the back (like the bar equivalent of a mullet?).

No punk venue lasts forever. I'll definitely miss that joint.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:59 am

Janelle wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I met my Clash77 there

Awww! You have two stories in one ha - We first met at Trash Bar at Murphy's Law show New Year's Eve, 2009 turning to 2010. We were both wearing Damned t-shirts - his Damned Damned Damned, mine the skull with the woman's reflection in it. Nothing ever came of it and then we met by chance outside Irving for the Buzzcocks in May and hung out there - Captain Two Man, sorry I hung out with him all night even though I went with you guys! Then we went to the Buzzcocks a few days later when they playd LI!

Yeah, I guess it was only a matter of time till something like this would happen. Now I'm worried for the one across the street, Grand Victory...

Ah OK so I got at least some of it right, but I conflated two stories into one. It wouldn't surprise me if Grand Victory wasn't long for this world, either, at least at that location. I just wonder if there's a limit to this stuff. It's madness. Now all the hipsters in Bushwick are being driven out to Ridgewood. Maybe Maspeth or Middle Village will be the next hip neighborhood after that.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:59 am

scannest wrote:I was gonna bring up Grand Victory. Clubs come and clubs go. It's not easy to get worked up about the Trash Bar closing (excluding Janelle's sentimental reasons). Place was a dump. I did see one of my top 10 shows of all time there - the Figgs in the fall of 2006.

I'm curious what was special about that one as opposed to other times you've seen The Figgs (I've seen them a bunch over the years, too).
JGJR

Postby scannest » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:27 am

JGJR wrote:I'm curious what was special about that one as opposed to other times you've seen The Figgs (I've seen them a bunch over the years, too).

There's no band I've seen more in the past decade, but that one was the beginning of my obsession. They were so powerful and fun and the audience was with them 1000%. Just a magical show.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:30 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:I'm curious what was special about that one as opposed to other times you've seen The Figgs (I've seen them a bunch over the years, too).

There's no band I've seen more in the past decade, but that one was the beginning of my obsession. They were so powerful and fun and the audience was with them 1000%. Just a magical show.

I never went to that venue, but there must be something about it. I heard similar tales about an Avengers show (a super late one, I believe) there around the same time period. I first saw them in '96 opening for and backing Graham Parker and I've seen them do that a bunch of times since then.
JGJR

Return to daghouse