Books about Black Sabbath

Books about Black Sabbath

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:33 pm

'How Black was our Sabbath'.

A man named V. Sound sent it to me years back.

I read it 4 x and gave to Descendents/FLag guitarist S. Egerton. You might know him.

Midge. f. Lightweight
xxxMidgexxx

Re: Books about Black Sabbath

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:37 pm

I've got one that has a chapter about each album. It's the best.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby drew » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:21 am

I prefer books about UFO's....
drew

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:46 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I've got one that has a chapter about each album. It's the best.

yeah, that was a good read, even though i disagreed with his choices for the best sabbath albums. i recall him really liking technical ecstasy.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Michele » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:02 am

I guess Technical ecstasy is one of the few Sabbath albums I never heard, any good?
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:18 am

Michele wrote:I guess Technical ecstasy is one of the few Sabbath albums I never heard, any good?

it has a couple of good songs, but there is way too much bad 70s proggy keyboard shit going on. back street kids is a good song. there is one more but i can't remember what it is.
yourenotevil

Postby drew » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:30 am

yourenotevil wrote:
Michele wrote:I guess Technical ecstasy is one of the few Sabbath albums I never heard, any good?

it has a couple of good songs, but there is way too much bad 70s proggy keyboard shit going on. back street kids is a good song. there is one more but i can't remember what it is.

I like "She's Gone" but not too many good tunes on that album....
drew

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:44 am

drew wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

i think never say die pretty much sucks except for the title track as well. you hear people make arguments for them , but when you consider the next three albums they put out, there is no contest as to which is better.
yourenotevil

Postby Michele » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:19 am

coming to black sabbath (one of my all time fave bands) I got and worship everything from Black Sabbath to Sabotage plus the Dio and Gillan ones, I heard but not loved The Seventh Star and The Eternal idol, so looks like I missed Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die plus everything after The Eternal Idol except 13, anything really worthing to buy and check?
Michele

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:31 am

Michele wrote:coming to black sabbath (one of my all time fave bands) I got and worship everything from Black Sabbath to Sabotage plus the Dio and Gillan ones, I heard but not loved The Seventh Star and The Eternal idol, so looks like I missed Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die plus everything after The Eternal Idol except 13, anything really worthing to buy and check?

i don't know if you know the later dio stuff based on what you posted:

dehumanizer, the 92 album with dio

dio and sabbath did three tracks for the dio years sabbath cd

heaven and hell did a cd that was essentially a black sabbath album(don't know if you heard that)

cross purposes has geezer on it, some of the songs are good but if you don't like eternal idol, you might not like this.

sabbath reunion double cd with ozzy is good if you can find it for cheap.
yourenotevil

Postby Michele » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:30 pm

yeah, got the two 2cd
sabbath reunion with ozzy
the past is alive
Michele

Postby JGJR » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:34 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
drew wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

i think never say die pretty much sucks except for the title track as well. you hear people make arguments for them , but when you consider the next three albums they put out, there is no contest as to which is better.

No question that the 1st few albums with Dio are better albums than the last few with Ozzy (not counting the reunion album from last year), but I think Never Say Die is better than you give it credit for and better than Technical Ecstasy (the worst Ozzy era album; great name and cover; shitty album). It's still nowhere near the quality of anything up to and including Sabotage, though. I'm not a fan of Born Again, though. I've tried with that record.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:55 pm

The Martin Popoff book is the one I have, it's pretty cool.

I'm probably the only one here that likes all the singers from Sabbath, even some Tony Martin :!:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby Michele » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:47 pm

I like the singer but not with Sabbs, I barely can think of sabbs with Dio....
Michele

Postby version sound » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:34 pm

First two Ozzy solo LPs >>>>>>>>>> Last several Ozzy Sabbath LPs
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:28 am

I love Technical Ecstasy. Don't much care for Dio Sabbath.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:37 am

earthdog70 wrote:The Martin Popoff book is the one I have, it's pretty cool.

I'm probably the only one here that likes all the singers from Sabbath, even some Tony Martin :!:

i like some tony martin era stuff, but tony was the only original member minus geezer for like one album and tour in 94. tony did the dio era stuff pretty well, but the ozzy stuff was not his strong suit. even then, if you saw them in that era they were doing like 2 or 3 martin songs tops. he did have some great musicians in that line up with cozy powell, but he was switching them out so much it was hard to get any consistency going on the albums. eternal idol, tyr and cross purposes all have good songs though.
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:37 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I love Technical Ecstasy. Don't much care for Dio Sabbath.

you smokin that crack cocaine.
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:41 am

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
drew wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

No question that the 1st few albums with Dio are better albums than the last few with Ozzy (not counting the reunion album from last year), but I think Never Say Die is better than you give it credit for and better than Technical Ecstasy (the worst Ozzy era album; great name and cover; shitty album). It's still nowhere near the quality of anything up to and including Sabotage, though. I'm not a fan of Born Again, though. I've tried with that record.

the problem with tech ex is that they hired a keyboardist(i want to say the guy from yes,but i can't remember) and he ended up having a lot of impact on the songwriting, even though i don't think he got credit for most of it. never say die essentially written in the studio and to me they just didn't have many ideas left. maybe some good riffs here and there, but the tony martin era is definitely a lot stronger if you are just looking for an iommi riff fix.
yourenotevil

Postby Michele » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:30 am

version sound wrote:First two Ozzy solo LPs >>>>>>>>>> Last several Ozzy Sabbath LPs

I would say that first three Ozzy solo albums are pure classics.... recently bought all of them on cd as I had only on tape
Michele

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:20 pm

yourenotevil wrote:. i recall him really liking technical ecstasy.

Underrated album.

Some terrific stuff.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby captain2man » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:18 pm

Martin Popoff - 'Doom Let Loose' - if you're more interested in reading about the actual records & tours rather than getting deep into biography.

Popoff has one or two other Sabbath books that are more odds & ends stuff and pretty interesting.
captain2man

Postby scannest » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:04 am

I read Tony's auto-bio. Highly recommended to anyone interested in the effects of cocaine on the human psyche.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:26 am

yourenotevil wrote:the problem with tech ex is that they hired a keyboardist(i want to say the guy from yes,but i can't remember) and he ended up having a lot of impact on the songwriting, even though i don't think he got credit for most of it. never say die essentially written in the studio and to me they just didn't have many ideas left. maybe some good riffs here and there, but the tony martin era is definitely a lot stronger if you are just looking for an iommi riff fix.

Rick Wakeman was in the band during the Sabbath Bloody Sabbath tour and he's on the album, too, AFAIK, he's not on Technical Ecstasy. I never heard the latter album until I got the box set with all the Ozzy albums whereas I grew up listening to the earlier albums, so I'm not 100% sure here re: TE (I am 100% sure about SBS, though).

Yep, not Wakeman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_ ... #Personnel
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:48 pm

Don Airy played for them too around Never Say Die.

He was also the writer for Ozzy's early stuff that had a keyboard (Mr Crowley)
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:01 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Don Airy played for them too around Never Say Die.

I always thought Bob Daisley wrote all of that stuff. You learn something new every day.
JGJR

Postby tad ghostal » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:43 pm

JGJR wrote:

I always thought Bob Daisley wrote all of that stuff. You learn something new every day.

Bob Daisley was the primary lyricist. Ozzy usually came up with the vocal melody and maybe a title or subject matter and then possibly some words or a phrase but couldn't complete an entire song, according to Daisley.
tad ghostal

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:04 pm

tad ghostal wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Bob Daisley was the primary lyricist. Ozzy usually came up with the vocal melody and maybe a title or subject matter and then possibly some words or a phrase but couldn't complete an entire song, according to Daisley.

yeah, that was always the knock on ozzy. geezer said that is how it worked in black sabbath as well, even though they all got writing/publishing credit.
yourenotevil

Postby captain2man » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:25 pm

I don't even want to know what a TRUE Ozzy solo record would sound like. He's a charismatic frontman with an interesting voice - but I doubt there's much, if any, songwriting/lyric writing talent going on there.

The fact that Ozzy had any music career whatsoever after Sabbath is most likely a tribute to Sharon and her efforts to make him a brand. It's a crime that she disrespected the actual writers who allowed him to have a career after that (I think she may have done the same thing to Jake E. Lee as she did to Daisley/Kerslake) - but she clearly knew what she was doing if her agenda was to make him a household name.
captain2man

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:09 pm

captain2man wrote:I don't even want to know what a TRUE Ozzy solo record would sound like. He's a charismatic frontman with an interesting voice - but I doubt there's much, if any, songwriting/lyric writing talent going on there.

The fact that Ozzy had any music career whatsoever after Sabbath is most likely a tribute to Sharon and her efforts to make him a brand. It's a crime that she disrespected the actual writers who allowed him to have a career after that (I think she may have done the same thing to Jake E. Lee as she did to Daisley/Kerslake) - but she clearly knew what she was doing if her agenda was to make him a household name.

geezer said in that popoff book that he was integral to the writing process though, which is why i imagine he got a songwriting credit. but yeah, ozzy is one of the few solo guys is metal that would probably admit he can't write a lick of music to save his life.
yourenotevil

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:30 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:I love Technical Ecstasy. Don't much care for Dio Sabbath.

you smokin that crack cocaine.

I've listened to the Dio Years a bunch of times over the last couple of days. It's not bad. It's just not doomy enough for my taste. I think I like the stuff from Dehumanizer the most.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby Michele » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:22 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote: It's just not doomy enough for my taste.

I totally second this, right by now, I click more with Born Again than with the Dio Sabbs
Michele

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:02 am

Michele wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote: It's just not doomy enough for my taste.

I totally second this, right by now, I click more with Born Again than with the Dio Sabbs

dio don't do doom.
yourenotevil

Postby Michele » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:20 pm

exactly, that's why to me Sabbs with dio are not ont he same level as the ones with ozzy ;)
Michele

Postby neutral knieval » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:41 pm

never say die is underrated. air dance is one of my favorite sabbath songs. i've given technical ecstasy a few tries but what little i can tolerate is ruined by the production. before anyone gives up on born again you should check out the demos. not breathtaking or anything but i think they sound much better.
neutral knieval

Postby tad ghostal » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:52 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
captain2man wrote:I don't even want to know what a TRUE Ozzy solo record would sound like. He's a charismatic frontman with an interesting voice - but I doubt there's much, if any, songwriting/lyric writing talent going on there.

geezer said in that popoff book that he was integral to the writing process though, which is why i imagine he got a songwriting credit. but yeah, ozzy is one of the few solo guys is metal that would probably admit he can't write a lick of music to save his life.

There are a couple Sabbath songs that Ozzy is said to have written on his own ("Who Are You?" and "Am I Going Insane") and I believe he is said to have actually written lyrics to a few others but Ozzy is more entertainer than artist. I remember watching one of those VH-1 top 100 whatever specials years ago and it was either Roger Glover or Ritchie Blackmore who said that Ozzy had one of the most appealing voices in hard rock. He's not a spectacular singer and I don't even think his vocal melodies are particularly inventive but that's something really enjoyable about him and his presentation, at least when he was in his prime. It's kind of interesting that after Sabbath dumped him, Iommi continued to pursue more technically gifted singers to diminishing results. Tony Martin supposedly had the best range of any Sabbath singer and very few people outside of hardcore Sabbath fans like those albums.
tad ghostal

Postby captain2man » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:07 pm

The thing with Tony Martin is......unlike Ozzy, Dio or Gillan - he didn't really have his own unique voice. No Sabbath singer sang the other singers' material better than Martin did (Ozzy of course was never asked to do that)....but that also demonstrates that his own voice was less unique than any of the others.

The records he was on also weren't that great - at least not for Sabbath records. The lone exception there is Eternal Idol (vocals originally by Ray Gillen actually) which hangs quite well in the Sabbath catalog (there are good moments on Headless Cross too).....but those records in general are just not up to the Sabbath standard.....not really Martin's fault - he didn't write the riffs.

But I also think the complete dismissal of those records by Iommi himself is the nail in the coffin for Martin's era of the band. If Iommi actually acknowledged their existence and talking about them a little bit from time to time - maybe give Martin credit for some good work - those records might be perceived a bit differently.
captain2man

Return to daghouse