Musings on Kiss

Musings on Kiss

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:08 am

Their live albums are much better than the early studio records.
They have a bunch of great songs.
For every great song, they have about five shitty ones.
I would like them more if Gene Simmons weren't in the band. That guy is a total wanker.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Re: Musings on Kiss

Postby Hal » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:30 am

I read Ace Frehley's autobiography earlier this year. Some crazy stories. What I would have given to be him for a few years in the mid-70's. It must have been a hell of a ride.
Hal

Postby tango fistula » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:43 am

1. My first concert..Love Gun tour June 1977
2. Also saw them on the OG reunion tour at MSG
3. Kiss is the true gateway band to punk music...so many of us went
from Kiss Army to metal or punk.
4. Kiss HATES HATES punk music btw.
5. The NY Dolls were way better at the glamstomp Kiss were attempting.
6. So were the Dictators...whom Kiss also hates.
7. Kiss should be in the RnR hall of fame...along with the Monkees
and other bands who innovated rock marketing and merch
tango fistula

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:59 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:Their live albums are much better than the early studio records.
I would like them more if Gene Simmons weren't in the band. That guy is a total wanker.

The live records were studio records.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby James » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:15 am

tango fistula wrote:1. My first concert..Love Gun tour June 1977

In Joey Shithead's book, he was saying Gene Simmons was at a DOA show in L.A. in the early 80's. I think it was a big bill with some other bands, so I doubt Gene was there to see them.
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby tango fistula » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:27 pm

I'd say Kiss has about 20 good songs...maybe 3 great ones...
Van Halen has a way better track record.
tango fistula

Postby Michele » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:01 pm

I guess I heard just a pair of their album and most famous singles... never got the hype surrrounding them.
but they're in good company, Queen, Beatles and partially The Who are beside them.
now ban me :D
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:17 pm

version sound wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:Their live albums are much better than the early studio records.

The live records were studio records.

You beat me to it re: those "live" records. Here's an old joke. Q: What do you think of the studio side of Kiss' Alive? A: Which one. Ha ha.

Anyway, I can hang with them up to Dynasty and I like some stuff here and there after that, but ultimately whenever I want to hear them, I reach for the Greatest Kiss comp which has 30 of their best songs from 1973-1980.

I didn't grow up with them, but checked them out because so many punk/hardcore bands cited them as an influence (sort of what tango was saying about them being a gateway band).
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:18 pm

James wrote:

In Joey Shithead's book, he was saying Gene Simmons was at a DOA show in L.A. in the early 80's. I think it was a big bill with some other bands, so I doubt Gene was there to see them.

I heard a story about Gene showing up to a Replacements show at CBGBs and hearing their cover of "Black Diamond" and walking out on them because he hated it.
JGJR

Postby tango fistula » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:49 pm

That exact CBGB show was on that live Replacements blog that has been taken down...luckily
I grabbed it...
They did about 80 covers and 2 originals that night...and played as "Gary and the Boners".
Seriously terrible show...back then a Replacements show was a 50/50 roll of the dice.
tango fistula

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:54 pm

I love KISS. even the non make up stuff. Glad I saw Ace during the reunion tour. Never saw them in the past, but at least I can say I saw the classic line up. I did see them 2x after that. The "Sonic Boom" tour was a great gig.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby Gary » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:58 pm

WrEtcH wrote:I love KISS. even the non make up stuff. Glad I saw Ace during the reunion tour. Never saw them in the past, but at least I can say I saw the classic line up. I did see them 2x after that. The "Sonic Boom" tour was a great gig.

Only time I've seen them was on the Sonic Boom tour and it was indeed great,had tickets for the first reunion tour but they cancelled. I love up to Love Gun,then Dynasty has some great tunes,Unmasked has about one(I no longer own it so don't quite remember) and love The Elder.

The Ace Frehley solo record is my favourite KISS record.

The last two have been decent too,although Sonic Boom is the better of the two.
Gary

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:03 pm

JGJR wrote:
James wrote:

I heard a story about Gene showing up to a Replacements show at CBGBs and hearing their cover of "Black Diamond" and walking out on them because he hated it.

They talk about it in the liner notes of the Let It Be reissue!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:04 pm

Gary wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:I love KISS. even the non make up stuff. Glad I saw Ace during the reunion tour. Never saw them in the past, but at least I can say I saw the classic line up. I did see them 2x after that. The "Sonic Boom" tour was a great gig.

Only time I've seen them was on the Sonic Boom tour and it was indeed great,had tickets for the first reunion tour but they cancelled. I love up to Love Gun,then Dynasty has some great tunes,Unmasked has about one(I no longer own it so don't quite remember) and love The Elder.

The Ace Frehley solo record is my favourite KISS record.

The last two have been decent too,although Sonic Boom is the better of the two.

I agree about the two newest albums. I feel like they really hyped up Monster and were saying how much better it was than Sonic Boom and, while I think it kicks ass, SB is better.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:31 pm

Me as the Catman, my buddy as Gene. Halloween 1978 or 1979, I'm guessing.
Last edited by version sound on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:51 pm

Kiss were my first love and I still think Gene is the Great Liberator.

He freed me from reality. His music was/is truly great. I love Ace Frehley. I wanted to BE him until I saw him without make up.

The first 3 Kiss records are perfect.

I like Lick it Up too. First time I saw them was in 83' with Vinnie Vincent on guitar.

I like Creatures of the Night. I tolerate 'Unmasked'.

The comeback band. I love you KISS.

You are better than the overrated Led Zep and the overrated Beatles.

-xxxMidge F. Lightweightxxx
Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Gary wrote:Unmasked has about one(I no longer own it so don't quite remember)

This is the only song I remember liking on Unmasked.

JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:24 am

i think if you get double platinum, you can cover the bases for most of their best songs. even half of destroyer is filler imo. i do have some of the early albums and they do have some great lesser known songs on there though. i think creatures was the last good album, and only about 4 or 5 tracks were really good.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby MXV » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:38 am

When I was a kid, KISS were super heroes to me. I still love Kiss but only Kiss with makeup. Kiss without makeup doesn't exist in my world.

The live albums weren't studio albums but they were certainly heavily doctored up in the studio which is a bummer but I guess that happens more than you think. It's kind of like when you were a kid and finally smartened up to the fact that pro wrestling wasn't "real" and was a work. You just have to suspend your disbelief and it is still super enjoyable and honestly it really is a lot like what seeing Kiss is like anyway.

I hate the fact they have a fake Ace and a fake Peter.

I will also agree that for every good song they have even more shitty songs. Destroyer is my favorite album of theirs and the only one I will always play from start to finish without skipping any songs.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby SamDBL » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:43 am

MXV wrote:When I was a kid, KISS were super heroes to me. I still love Kiss but only Kiss with makeup. Kiss without makeup doesn't exist in my world.

I hate the fact they have a fake Ace and a fake Peter.

I agree with both of these. I can proudly say that Kiss and Alice Cooper are my first two favorite bands that I can remember. I mean, I'm talking like 6 or 7 years old, maybe. The thing is, at that point I didn't listen to one note of the music. I would just see pictures/toys/comics of these guys and think they were amazing. I still love the concept and I don't think a band has ever done it better than Kiss. I had a shirt with Gene's face on it (solo album cover) that I wore in elementary school until it was about 3 sizes too small.
When I finally got around to listening to the music, I loved it. RnR Over was the first LP I ever owned, I think. And I really, truly think that because they were so entertaining on so many fronts, their music is highly under rated. I think all the way up to Destroyer are really awesome albums, musically. Catchy, raw, energetic songs that are light years beyond a lot of their 70's rock contemporaries. I could listend to Dressed To Kill or Hotter than Hell all day long.
I think they're a particularly greedy band, in that pandering and squables over money have led them into some lame territories (disco album, fake members, etc). But over all, I think their knack for coming up with a great image and merchandising the living shit out of it is actually cool. Because I'm a fan and I really dig the image they created, I really like seeing it all over the place as a fan. I love when I see some 4 year old kid with KISS sneakers, or a KISS pinball machine, or whatever.

As a side note, these days I typically like the songs Paul sings the best. I dig his voice.
SamDBL

Postby James » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:08 am

I used to dismiss 80s KISS until my ex turned me on some of their better songs from that era like Lick It Up, Crazy Nights, All Hell's Breaking Loose, etc. Heck, I even have Tears Are Falling on my ipod, that song still makes me laugh.
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby version sound » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:00 pm

yourenotevil wrote:i think if you get double platinum, you can cover the bases for most of their best songs. even half of destroyer is filler imo. i do have some of the early albums and they do have some great lesser known songs on there though. i think creatures was the last good album, and only about 4 or 5 tracks were really good.

Yup, Double Platinum is undoubtedly the best bang for your buck. The casual Kiss fan really doesn't need anything else.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:10 pm

yourenotevil wrote:i think if you get double platinum, you can cover the bases for most of their best songs. even half of destroyer is filler imo. i do have some of the early albums and they do have some great lesser known songs on there though. i think creatures was the last good album, and only about 4 or 5 tracks were really good.

Of their '70s albums, I think Destroyer is one of the most overrated (though still overall a very good Lp). If you took out "Great Expectations," it would already be much better!

This is my favorite KISS song of their early era.

JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:13 pm

SamDBL wrote: I think all the way up to Destroyer are really awesome albums, musically. Catchy, raw, energetic songs that are light years beyond a lot of their 70's rock contemporaries. I could listend to Dressed To Kill or Hotter than Hell all day long.

No love for Rock and Roll Over or Love Gun?
JGJR

Postby scannest » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:15 pm

tango fistula wrote:That exact CBGB show was on that live Replacements blog that has been taken down...luckily
I grabbed it...

Are you friends with those guys on FB? Cuz the are still posting links to shows there.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby SamDBL » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:24 pm

JGJR wrote:
SamDBL wrote: I think all the way up to Destroyer are really awesome albums, musically. Catchy, raw, energetic songs that are light years beyond a lot of their 70's rock contemporaries. I could listend to Dressed To Kill or Hotter than Hell all day long.

No love for Rock and Roll Over or Love Gun?

Oh yeah, my bad. RNRO might be my favorite. Love Gun is great, too.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:28 pm

JGJR wrote:Of their '70s albums, I think Destroyer is one of the most overrated (though still overall a very good Lp). If you took out "Great Expectations," it would already be much better!

Agreed.

This is what I mean. Paul's voice is cool sounding to me. And yeah.. I guess it's blasphemous of me to say.. but musically I like Kiss better than the NY Dolls (though I love the Dolls). And this song is a perfect example as to why.
SamDBL

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:25 am

SamDBL wrote:
JGJR wrote:Of their '70s albums, I think Destroyer is one of the most overrated (though still overall a very good Lp). If you took out "Great Expectations," it would already be much better!

Agreed.

This is what I mean. Paul's voice is cool sounding to me. And yeah.. I guess it's blasphemous of me to say.. but musically I like Kiss better than the NY Dolls (though I love the Dolls). And this song is a perfect example as to why.

I like the Dolls more because I got into them when I was younger and because I think that their 1st s/t Lp is better than any KISS Lp.
JGJR

Postby akissfan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:06 pm

As a kid growing up, there wasn't anything better than KISS. They ARE the reason I got into playing music. I wanted to be Peter Criss or Ace...didnt matter. I would air drum to their songs when I was only 7 years old. To this day, old KISS records bring me to a great place. If I'm in a bad mood, put Dressed To Kill on and instantly in a better mood. The music just reminds me of my childhood...all the good memories.

That being said, I could give two shits about the current version of KISS. Gene Simmons is a piece of shit. He wrecked the magic for us "old" guys.

Anything after Alive II sucks except for maybe Ace & Paul's solo records, Creatures, Revenge and Psycho Circus.
akissfan

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:35 am

I'm with Hunter and akissfan regarding Gene Simmons. That guy's utter hate-a-bility (not a word, I know) makes me feel guilty for enjoying their music. I do wish I'd seen the '96 or '98 reunion tour with all 4 original members, but now with a fake Ace and Peter and how high their ticket prices are, I don't think I ever will and I'm OK with that.
JGJR

Postby pedro » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:12 am

I have never cared for them. Not one bit.

Sure, I can laugh along with "Christine" and some other songs, but I have never given them a nickel of my money and I can't imagine I ever will.
Hello.
pedro

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:00 pm

pedro wrote:I have never cared for them. Not one bit.

Sure, I can laugh along with "Christine" and some other songs, but I have never given them a nickel of my money and I can't imagine I ever will.

You seem somewhat bitter. Why not enjoy music one day?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby pedro » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:42 am

Why start now?
Hello.
pedro

Postby john stabb » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:54 am

C'mon, except for "Calling Dr. Love" & "Beth" on the live records, the best thing about KISS was their Shakespearian acting in "KISS meets the Phantom of the Park", their appearance w/ interviewer Billy Crystal on "Dinah" & their masterful observations between songs on Alive 1 & 2 --- "Ahhhhhh, yeah! I know there's a lot of hot ladies out there. And you wanna meet me in the LAYYYY-DEEEEEZ ROOOOO-MM!" This spoken by the one member who looked like he would be selling his butt as a male hustler on the streets of Brooklyn was the best comedy writing in the 70's besides WWF Wrestling. :lol:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby john stabb » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:57 am

John Lisa did play me some pretty good Ace Frehley solo-stuff that reminded me of The Sweet. Best solo stuff from any of them. :mrgreen:
john stabb

Postby john stabb » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:59 am

The bottom line is this: KISS were never a talented band musically but they were mighty entertaining with the make-up, wild costumes, fake blood, smoke, ridiculous on-stage banter, the whole KISS ARMY-thing & the merchandising. IN THE 70's :idea: They were a butt-ugly bad-joke w/o the make-up & all. IN THE 80's. And are even a bigger joke (but not butt-ugly) putting the make-up & all back into their show. FROM THE 90's-TODAY.

And Gene Simmons needs to be castrated so he can just SHUT THE FUCK UP :twisted:
john stabb

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:39 am

I listened to Alive II on the way home from work yesterday. I don't know if it was the weather or the Blue Mountain coffee coursing through my veins but, for the duration of that drive, it was the best goddamn album on the planet.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:50 pm

I missed out on KISS, might have been growing up in Europe and not really hearing much about them. I'm more familiar with punk covers than their original songs. My college band painted a back-drop of the Destroyer album but with our faces on it, but again I knew it as the Sloppy Seconds LP cover. The backdrop got a lot of laughs. I can't get over the cheese factor.
FlexMyHead

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:00 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:I missed out on KISS, might have been growing up in Europe and not really hearing much about them. I'm more familiar with punk covers than their original .

Me too. I never much liked them growing up but I loved AOD's cover of "Deuce." My Kiss fascination is a recent phenomenon. Perhaps it's a mid-life crisis.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:01 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I listened to Alive II on the way home from work yesterday. I don't know if it was the weather or the Blue Mountain coffee coursing through my veins but, for the duration of that drive, it was the best goddamn album on the planet.

Great record. Probably the second best one to own.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby SamDBL » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:32 pm

john stabb wrote:John Lisa did play me some pretty good Ace Frehley solo-stuff that reminded me of The Sweet. Best solo stuff from any of them. :mrgreen:

I don't anyone can argue this. Those solo records pretty much sucked except for Ace's... which was actually damn good.
SamDBL

Postby akissfan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:21 pm

SamDBL wrote:
john stabb wrote:John Lisa did play me some pretty good Ace Frehley solo-stuff that reminded me of The Sweet. Best solo stuff from any of them. :mrgreen:

I don't anyone can argue this. Those solo records pretty much sucked except for Ace's... which was actually damn good.

Ace's album is definitely the best out of the four but give Paul's another listen. Out of all the solo releases, his is the closest to a KISS record that would of been released during that time period. There are some good songs on it.

Gene and Pete's are just god awful.
akissfan

Postby Gary » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:51 am

Definitely some great tunes on Paul's.
Gary

Postby jason powell » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:46 am

KISS was cool conceptually, at least in the way it was marketed to me as a little kid. I dont think I'd even heard them before all I knew was that I needed my mom to buy me KISS dolls. And I will admit a handful of songs are catchy. Beyond that, KISS bores me, a lot. I cant ever see myself wanting to hear their music or voluntarily playing any of it.
jason powell

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:03 am

Ace's solo record was easily the best. It's common knowledge.

Paul had a perfect record theoretically. WONDERFUL catchy pop rock.

Gene had quite a few good songs.

Peter...bllleaaaaaaach..
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Knutsen » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:48 am

I think you had to be at a certain young age to get captured by KiSS Never got them.

KISS played here this summer. While waiting downtown for the bus late afternoon, 4 young guys walked by on the way to he show. 2xGene Simmons, 1xAce Frehley, 1xPeterCriss. Love the dedication.
They looked awesome!
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Last night I caught one of the last of KISS resident gigs in Vegas. Even if it's Thayer and Singer, they still kick ass!

^v^
WrEtcH

Postby captain2man » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 pm

I heard the Vegas Kiss show was nothing short of spectacular. How was the set list? Any surprises? The only time they seem to play deep cuts are on the Kiss Kruises (and I've seen those set lists - and they really do dig out songs you have completely forgotten about).

On a related note - I'm seeing Ace Frehley tonight at the Paramount in Huntington. His last two solo albums have actually been quite good.
captain2man

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:54 am

captain2man wrote:I heard the Vegas Kiss show was nothing short of spectacular. How was the set list? Any surprises? The only time they seem to play deep cuts are on the Kiss Kruises (and I've seen those set lists - and they really do dig out songs you have completely forgotten about).

On a related note - I'm seeing Ace Frehley tonight at the Paramount in Huntington. His last two solo albums have actually been quite good.

from what I see from the Vegas gigs, it's been the same set list every night. Some fans on KISS faq were hoping that KISS would do a DEF LEPPARD and pull out the obscure tunes or switch it up every night, but that wasn't the case so far. I'm okay with it. They did pull out "Creatures," "Circus" and "Tears" which I didn't see them do during the "Sonic Boom" tour, BUT if you were the one to spend the big bucks for the meet and greet, you got THIS,

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kiss/2014 ... d9c8a.html
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby MXV » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:42 am

Oh man I'd love to see them play "Goin' Blind"! It is one of my favorite Kiss songs!
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Next

Return to daghouse