Musings on Kiss

Re: Musings on Kiss

Postby scannest » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:14 pm

Yeah, I was disappointed by the set list for the Vegas shows. Only 16 songs in total, and only 8 make-up era classics by my count. Is that even a 90 minute show?
I can get behind "I Love it Loud" and "Lick it Up" (I guess), but who needs "Psycho Circus" and "Hell or Hallelujah" in a 16 songs set?!
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby captain2man » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:03 pm

WrEtcH wrote:
captain2man wrote:I heard the Vegas Kiss show was nothing short of spectacular. How was the set list? Any surprises? The only time they seem to play deep cuts are on the Kiss Kruises (and I've seen those set lists - and they really do dig out songs you have completely forgotten about).

On a related note - I'm seeing Ace Frehley tonight at the Paramount in Huntington. His last two solo albums have actually been quite good.

from what I see from the Vegas gigs, it's been the same set list every night. Some fans on KISS faq were hoping that KISS would do a DEF LEPPARD and pull out the obscure tunes or switch it up every night, but that wasn't the case so far. I'm okay with it. They did pull out "Creatures," "Circus" and "Tears" which I didn't see them do during the "Sonic Boom" tour, BUT if you were the one to spend the big bucks for the meet and greet, you got THIS,

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kiss/2014 ... d9c8a.html

I saw them on tour this past summer.....they did "Circus"....not the others.....but their stage show in Vegas is probably so coordinated, right down to the minute, that they probably can't do much deviation.

Anyway - saw Ace Frehley last night on Long Island. If you're a big Ace fan and he's coming through your area, I recommend it. The show wasn't perfect....but it was still a fun time & a good selection of Kiss songs (both songs he wrote & songs he didn't), solo stuff, and Frehley's Comet stuff.

Here was the set from last night if anyone's curious:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ace-frehl ... daf4f.html
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:14 pm

scannest wrote:Yeah, I was disappointed by the set list for the Vegas shows. Only 16 songs in total, and only 8 make-up era classics by my count. Is that even a 90 minute show?
I can get behind "I Love it Loud" and "Lick it Up" (I guess), but who needs "Psycho Circus" and "Hell or Hallelujah" in a 16 songs set?!

This. It shouldn't go beyond '79 or maybe '82 if you're being generous.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Gary » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:19 pm

I liked the last two records.
Gary

Postby scannest » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:28 pm

I understand and support a band's desire to "play the new stuff." But if I paid hundreds of dollars for a 90 minute KISS show and a third of it was post-Dynasty, I'd be pretty annoyed.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Gary » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:49 pm

(...and I say this as a fan of Kiss) It's Kiss,would you expect anything else?
Gary

Postby JGJR » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:11 pm

scannest wrote:I understand and support a band's desire to "play the new stuff." But if I paid hundreds of dollars for a 90 minute KISS show and a third of it was post-Dynasty, I'd be pretty annoyed.

Again, this.
JGJR

Postby drew » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:33 pm

The people who are there like all eras of KISS. My friend Marc (who's on the board) is there with his family. He likes all of it not just the 70's records. Most serious Kiss fans like most of it, even The Elder. :D

I'm surprised it's even 90 min.
drew

Postby JGJR » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:37 pm

drew wrote:The people who are there like all eras of KISS. My friend Marc (who's on the board) is there with his family. He likes all of it not just the 70's records. Most serious Kiss fans like most of it, even The Elder. :D

I'm surprised it's even 90 min.

I acknowledge that I'm not a serious enough fan of the later stuff to really give a shit, but even the person who goes by "akissfan" on this board doesn't go past '79. Just sayin'.
JGJR

Postby Gary » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:00 pm

The Elder is a great record.
Gary

Postby dave123 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Punk was actually the gateway to Kiss for me. In the UK in the '70s, KISS was not on the radar of any of my primary school pals. We had the Jam, the Specials, and Madness to entertain us. Any self respecting wannabe mod of age 7-10 wouldn't be caught dead supporting KISS (or really any "hairy" band) at that time. When I moved to Canada in the early '80s, my elementary school chums were a surprisingly elitist bunch of musical aficionados, who also viewed KISS as musical poserdome. They all had older brothers who swore by Sabbath, Floyd, and Zeppelin but loathed KISS with a passion. One friend even told me of a beating his older brother gave him for showing an interest in KISS. As a result of these two cross border anti-KISS experiences, I wrote off the band for years. When I started to go to hardcore punk shows in the '80s, I started noticing the odd KISS shirt underneath a spiky leather jacket. How could these dudes with such good musical taste like Discharge, Amebix, and KISS? I then sneaked a few of the early KISS LPs into my weekly pile of hardcore and realized that the early records were awesome. Cheesy? yes, but still awesome in a weird feathered hair sit in your basement and smoke pot sort of way. I didn't even mind Lick it Up and Animalize.

I have only seen KISS once on the Crazy Nights Tour and only because Anthrax opened up. Anthrax sucked in that setting, but we still tried to show our support. When KISS came on, we showed our adolescent colors by going to the last row of the very poorly attended stadium and sitting directly opposite the stage. There were two entire stadium sections between us and the next row of people. Absurd. Not really sure why we didn't just leave. Sadly, the band was too "pro" to acknowledge the knuckleheads in the top row, and we went home without rustling Gene's feathers.
dave123

Postby JGJR » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:48 pm

Gary wrote:The Elder is a great record.

It's in all honestly the only one up to '82 that I've never heard, but it doesn't have a great reputation (obviously).
JGJR

Postby WrEtcH » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:55 pm

captain2man wrote:
I saw them on tour this past summer.....they did "Circus"....not the others.....but their stage show in Vegas is probably so coordinated, right down to the minute, that they probably can't do much deviation.

Anyway - saw Ace Frehley last night on Long Island. If you're a big Ace fan and he's coming through your area, I recommend it. The show wasn't perfect....but it was still a fun time & a good selection of Kiss songs (both songs he wrote & songs he didn't), solo stuff, and Frehley's Comet stuff.

Here was the set from last night if anyone's curious:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ace-frehl ... daf4f.html

man, what a set list! that blows away the last tour I saw a couple years ago, but he did pull out "Torpedo Girl."
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby Stormy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:00 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
You are better than the overrated Led Zep and the overrated Beatles.

i love KISS, but let's not get silly
Stormy

Previous

Return to daghouse