how much does it cost to put out a CD these days?

how much does it cost to put out a CD these days?

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:39 am

leeway(NYHC) cds got reissued by a label in Brazil and the guy is charging 17 bucks on ebay plus 5 bucks shipping to the U.S. i am saying it is crazy to ask for 22 bucks in 2014 for a single cd(it is the lp and some live bonus tracks). he is claiming he is only making 13.50 a cd after fees. isn't that still a pretty good profit? that what a label charges for an lp these days, not a fucking cd. anyone know the math on this?
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Re: how much does it cost to put out a CD these days?

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:27 am

Depends on the packaging, but if you know what the packaging is you can plug it in here:
http://www.furnacemfg.com/default/discs ... cases.html
Of course, that is not Brazil.

Also, you say he is making $13.50 per CD? That is an insane profit margin. The problem is not the manufacturing cost, it's how much per CD he is keeping.
the mean

Postby Gary » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:47 am

He's making 13.50? How much is the band getting?
Gary

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:01 pm

he didn't get into specifics about who got what. i just can't think of any labels that are going to charge me 22 bucks for a CD, even if they ship from another country. looks like he specializes in mostly heavy metal and charges 17 bucks for cds across the board.
yourenotevil

Postby scannest » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:10 pm

CD's cost nothing to manufacture. Less than a buck? Throw in packaging and you're talk maybe $2-$3 each. Of course, there are other costs to factor in (recording, mastering, etc.) but the Cd's themselves are super cheap.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:04 pm

I personally think making $13.50 on a reissue CD is re-donkey-lips. I'm all for bands getting paid and maybe they helped set the price or charged some kind of licensing fee or something and that is what he had to charge, but that is totally fleecing fans.

On a side note, I recently found out that for some bands on major labels, you can license a record and change the artwork, song order or whatever the fuck else you want and the band can't do a fucking thing about it. Isn't that insane??? You have a to pay a certain fee for each one and therefore you are kinda set in what you can charge for it, but man, talk about bands being dumb as shit. I found out because I read a link about a semi-current pop-rock-punk band that had their 1st LP released and claimed they didn't get to approve of anything and wanted to release it themselves and couldn't.
FlexMyHead

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:13 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:On a side note, I recently found out that for some bands on major labels, you can license a record and change the artwork, song order or whatever the fuck else you want and the band can't do a fucking thing about it. Isn't that insane??? You have a to pay a certain fee for each one and therefore you are kinda set in what you can charge for it, but man, talk about bands being dumb as shit. I found out because I read a link about a semi-current pop-rock-punk band that had their 1st LP released and claimed they didn't get to approve of anything and wanted to release it themselves and couldn't.

Yes. It's a common practice these days for shitty labels to just pay a licensing fee and not ask the band for permission. Some labels that are known for it:

http://www.shopradiocast.com/brands/ShopRadioCast.html
http://www.enjoytheriderecords.com/
the mean

Postby 77clash » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:15 pm

free market economics
77clash

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:18 pm

the mean wrote:Yes. It's a common practice these days for shitty labels to just pay a licensing fee and not ask the band for permission. Some labels that are known for it:

http://www.shopradiocast.com/brands/ShopRadioCast.html

$29 for Quicksand's Manic Compression seems about right. DOH.

I should repress some major label punk band and do art like Black Flag's new one and put all the songs in reverse order. And put my face on the back cover. That would be awesome.
FlexMyHead

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:18 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:I should repress some major label punk band and do art like Black Flag's new one and put all the songs in reverse order. And put my face on the back cover. That would be awesome.

Only if it comes in 5 different "colorways."
the mean

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:48 am

scannest wrote:CD's cost nothing to manufacture. Less than a buck? Throw in packaging and you're talk maybe $2-$3 each. Of course, there are other costs to factor in (recording, mastering, etc.) but the Cd's themselves are super cheap.

yeah, i know the actual process is cheap, but i was hoping someone on here had done a reissue of a punk band or something and had some hard figures of how they split the profits. like, even if the guy is giving half of what he makes on every cd to the band (like 6 or 7 dollars), he is still coming away with a better profit margin than most people make on cds. i think the major players in the band were involved, as the guy said he worked with the guitarist a lot over the phone and he is pushing the cds on their facebook page. still think he is trying to bullshit me into justifying his high prices. his ebay page has several titles "on sale" and those are still going for 15 bucks or so. to make it worse, he could have put these on a double cd easily.
yourenotevil

Postby patient_ot » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:42 pm

IME, metal tends to be overpriced, because they know people will pay. The same thing happens in industrial/experimental/whatever music, though recently there has been some moving away from this...

Another thing, not defending this guy or whatever, but his costs may be different if he is pressing CDs in Brazil vs. doing them in Europe or the U.S.

Is there no U.S. or European outlet that carries them? Are you sure they are bootlegs?

EDIT: saw these were leeway reissues...
patient_ot

Postby MXV » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:56 am

CD sales are in the shitter so he probably is charging so much because he knows he will only sell a fraction of them.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby scannest » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:20 am

It's funny - a friend re-issued one his early solo demos (cassette only at the time) on CD recently. I went to his website to order, but he wants $15. Throw in shipping and tax and a single CD was gonna cost me almost $19. Oh, and it's on Spotify. So yeah, gonna wait on that one.

You know who does really nice CDs right now? Sub-Pop. The covers are like mini-gatefold LPs (and "tip-on" covers at that, for you serious geeks) and the CDs themselves are packed in paper sleeves. They really look like mini-albums. Next release that's how I'm going.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Knutsen » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:11 am

It was offered to us by a small label to re-issue our 7"EP from 1985.
We would get 4 copies and the 7" would 7-8 EUR in stores (200 copies)
Sounds truly great.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:21 am

MXV wrote:CD sales are in the shitter so he probably is charging so much because he knows he will only sell a fraction of them.

he said he is putting out a picture disc for 25 bucks later on. dude is just a money grubbing whore, plain and simple.
yourenotevil

Postby Gary » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:22 am

Knutsen wrote:It was offered to us by a small label to re-issue our 7"EP from 1985.
We would get 4 copies and the 7" would 7-8 EUR in stores (200 copies)
Sounds truly great.

4 copies????? that's it?
In my experience we always got 15% give or take of the pressing. (band paid for recording)
Gary

Postby MXV » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:50 am

yourenotevil wrote:
MXV wrote:CD sales are in the shitter so he probably is charging so much because he knows he will only sell a fraction of them.

he said he is putting out a picture disc for 25 bucks later on. dude is just a money grubbing whore, plain and simple.

The sound quality on picture discs is generally horrible and so is charging 25 bucks for one.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby Gary » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:22 pm

Dunno how these would work out for you,if you are still wanting Leeway reissues

http://realityrecords.be/
Gary

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:54 am

Gary wrote:Dunno how these would work out for you,if you are still wanting Leeway reissues

http://realityrecords.be/

thanks, it is the same versions the guy from brazil is selling, and these guys are in europe. i am guessing the prices will be in the same range though.
yourenotevil

Return to daghouse