Salad Days in DC area that everyone's been waiting for!

Salad Days in DC area that everyone's been waiting for!

Postby john stabb » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:26 am

Crazy Rockin' wknd for da Meowists: Part l - Friday spent "Salad Days: The DC Punk Revolution" Documentary early show, AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center. Soooo many damned 80's DC Punk Rock celebs (+ a few folks who were in some obscure group called, "Scenester") Kind of overwhelming to hang/have your photo taken with other people you spent about 20 years of yr life around or played gigs with. Well, that and having a GIGANTIC photo of yourself laying atop of me & about 35 of them upon the big movie screen! I'm just glad this wasn't one of them erotic films cos no telling where all those kids with their fingers practically in my mouth would've been-yipes! Too many faces to name for the early show but there's at least a few who I can say that I spent time with: in a group house where they lit their flatulence, having my french fries stolen in a Georgetown Roy Rogers, playing a gig in a small venue that featured Industrial strength vermin + a fragrance that could probably destroy a small country, travelled in a van where everyday something either fell off or leaked out of, and crawled through my legs + influenced my entire way of being onstage. I'll refrain from naming them because it's better for y'all to guess which ones they are-ha! Since I gained the biggest laugh in the screening, I'm waiting for the offers to host a late night talk show to come in - Salad Days shall make me famous. Or at least give me a cult following.

. Part ll - After greeting my older brother, Rick Schroeder , and niece, Caroline Mayen into the 2nd screening of the infamous doc - Meowists made their exit to this wonderful dinner scene pictured above where the dishes @ Mandalay were tasty but the company was delicious. We ran into my Daghouse/GI reunion-mate, Brian Baker, who (not only quotes to me ridiculous words I once spouted on Legless Bull!) but informs me he's about to be in a band with Peter Moffett and James Robbins. They're calling it Government Issue. I think they've decided to just name theirs, Issue. This seems like a trend to me but I'll be sending them my Greg Ginn authorized restraining order their way. There's also a rumor that my old friend/x-GI, John Leonard, Marc Alberstadt, and Tom Lyle are calling their group, Government because I own the rights to the GI name. *this is only a long joke so do not think I'm suing my friends/x-GI mates but the Onion or Pitchfork could have a (no Dag Nasty reference intended) FIELD DAY with this-ha!* Off on the road (or sidewalk) to Mandalay we went. We did make plans to get together with my brother and niece after the dinner and their screening. It's not very often I'm right across my friend, Tom Lyle, sharing a meal unless you count the several thousand pizzas that GI were forced to consume upon finish of a gig - eeeek! Thanking our friend, Linda Hsu for the invite and wonderful time hanging w/ Kevin Young, Karen Harrison Young, Tom Berard (of Scenester/Peer Pressure), Juanita Mendoza, Joshua Dunn, Melaney Holman, Kim Chan, Mina Devadas (Meowgirl), and others.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Return to daghouse