Soulside this weekend in DC

Re: Soulside this weekend in DC

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:02 pm

JGJR wrote:I will write a full review when I have more time, but I will say for now that Swiz completely and totally stole the show for me. They were incredible. I don't remember the last time I got into a pit (I must've been right behind you, David K, since I saw the guy dive on you and I was right behind him, but I didn't see you the whole night), but it was worth it, even with my body still sore from falling off a ladder a few weeks before. When they opened with "Ghost," it was like a bomb went off and I got really excited. That hardly ever happens anymore as I'm almost 40. I'm really glad I went down to DC for this (wish I could've stayed longer and come down earlier; we drove back right after the show; Tony Rettman told me he did a singing for his NYHC book either earlier that night or the night before at Joint Custody) and it was nice to see many of you, albeit too briefly in some cases! Keep the reviews and photos coming, too!

this wasn't a full review? writer pass revoked sucka!
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:15 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:I will write a full review when I have more time, but I will say for now that Swiz completely and totally stole the show for me. They were incredible. I don't remember the last time I got into a pit (I must've been right behind you, David K, since I saw the guy dive on you and I was right behind him, but I didn't see you the whole night), but it was worth it, even with my body still sore from falling off a ladder a few weeks before. When they opened with "Ghost," it was like a bomb went off and I got really excited. That hardly ever happens anymore as I'm almost 40. I'm really glad I went down to DC for this (wish I could've stayed longer and come down earlier; we drove back right after the show; Tony Rettman told me he did a singing for his NYHC book either earlier that night or the night before at Joint Custody) and it was nice to see many of you, albeit too briefly in some cases! Keep the reviews and photos coming, too!

Not even close! I didn't even write a word about Soulside or Moss Icon!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:19 pm

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

Not even close! I didn't even write a word about Soulside or Moss Icon!

based on other reviews, looks like they do not need a write up.
yourenotevil

Postby SPACELOVE » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:56 am

@flexmyhead I just realized I was standing in front of you in the Swiz merch line because you were talking about being worried that all the XL's would be sold out. After you got the last one I congratulated you.

Both Swiz sets this weekend were unbelievably fun and the fact that I pretty much got to see Swiz 3 times in one year is pretty special for me.

2 of those shows I saw a 40-something Jason Farrell leap on top of his Marshall amplifier and jump back down like he was skating a ramp. Beat that, Walter Schriefels!

Void and G.I. are pretty cool and all but my only complaint is that they played those 2 covers instead of CAKEWALK or PET TRICKS but I digress...
Their set at Black Cat was mind blowing - the review made earlier was pretty on point. Fast and sloppy in all the right moments...so fucking cool. Shawn still has that pissed off, powerful bark and in between sets he's like a Jolly Ol' Saint Nick if the North Pole was located in the DC/MD suburbs. Jason def performs like skateboarder and it's awesome as usual. Total Cool Total Power for sure (see below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEGD16XIa8o

Moss Icon live were not my thing...I love Toni Joy and like the records but damn...you would have thought their mommy's made them wear turtle necks for a christmas photo or something.
They looked pretty bummed to be alive but not passionate enough to do anything about it.
At best I would call them "contemplative."

Other than Bass and God City (which sounded amazing) Soul Side were pretty disappointing.
I feel bad even saying that because I fucking LOVE Soul Side but Saturday night they didn't seem confident, seriously lacked energy, and did not sound tight at all. Those 3 things are pretty much their defining characteristics if you ask me. I was shocked because the Girls Against Boys set last year was fucking awesome and even Kingface pulled off the reunion thing without any set backs. Maybe Sunday was better because they didn't have to follow Swiz. Again, I love Soul Side and the songs Bass and God City sounded GREAT.

Side note: Is it a Dischord Records pre-requisite for guitar players to be dopplegangers of 80's actors?

SCOTT MCCLOUD

JASON FARRELL

BRIAN BAKER

GUY PICCIOTTO
SPACELOVE

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:39 am

I thought Soulside were great on Sunday. I especially enjoyed the stuff from Trigger. I'm going to have to listen to that again soon.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:00 am

Soulside: the Rashomon of DC punk reunions.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:09 am

SPACELOVE wrote:Void and G.I. are pretty cool and all but my only complaint is that they played those 2 covers instead of CAKEWALK or PET TRICKS

I agree with this, except they did play "pet tricks."
the mean

Postby SPACELOVE » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:35 am

the mean wrote:
SPACELOVE wrote:Void and G.I. are pretty cool and all but my only complaint is that they played those 2 covers instead of CAKEWALK or PET TRICKS

I agree with this, except they did play "pet tricks."

you're right they did play Pet Tricks!

then CAKEWALK, PARALYSIS, DIRTY BOY BLUES, DIM LUCK, or DAVE'S SONG
maybe STONE, QUICK, or DRAW
:)
SPACELOVE

Postby Kirby » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:31 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:Only shitty part of the set was that some fuck stage-dived onto my head, which was annoying, but a week ago I got into a car accident and my neck/back is all fucked up. I get wanting to dance, but dancing with your torso to my head was not mutual. Shawn jumping on me is one thing, you another, so fuck you dude. Tried to take some photos on my out of date camera and the setting was wrong and I was getting moshed, so the photos all sucked.

Oooh... you're THAT guy. You know... if your back is fucked up maybe up front is not where you should be. Not to mention that if you're worried about getting pushed around, or someone landing on your head at a punk show... maybe you should just grab a beer and go sit in the back with the rest of the people who don't want to dance. Complaining about this is like going to Belarus, fucking a prostitute, and then complaining you picked up a scorching case of herpes.
Kirby

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Sunday.

Had another two free tickets to give away, stood outside for 15m trying to give them away then realized Dot Dash had already started, so I ran inside and gave the two tickets to lady at door asking her to give them to next two people who tried to pay (pay it forward with some PMA).

Dot Dash. Were already playing when I walked in. I also heard some of the amusing Dag Nasty comments, I said (I guess not loud enough) “Better than Second Wind” when he asked if we liked their 3rd record, but didn’t get a response (I thought it was funny). Later on he made another joke about Typical and Makes No Sense later on, so at least he knows the songs on the record. They were tight and sloppy at same time (not an insult). Hunter has to be the happiest looking bass player ever (with a sweet-ass hair cut), the singer was surly looking, Steve was wearing shorts (always has to be one guy wearing shorts at a show, no matter the weather), Danny had that “locked in” look, very focused and steady. I liked what I heard but went to go buy a $5 CD at the end of the show I only saw Office of shirts. As Stabb said they played a cover that was fun. Way more raw and noisy than the recorded stuff I’ve heard, both guitarist did lotsa catchy simple guitar leads at which I enjoyed. A good way to start the show and I enjoyed them much better than opening band from night before.

Office of Future Plans. I could listen to J sing anything , just saying. Start of the set was really rocking and they played many of the songs I knew best (Abandoned Mansions, Lorerei, Aviary). I really couldn’t hear the 2nd guitarist where I was standing and J seemed kinda bummed about this nasty feedback sound. Once the 2nd guitarist went to cello (which I also couldn’t distinguish that well) the set slowed down a bit. I think they could have mixed the set list up a bit better and the songs/tempo would have flowed a bit better. Overall, J’s voice was great and they put on a good show (for a semi-side project) but were a bit uneven.

Soulside. Holy shit, what a turn around from the night before! Granted, the first night I had been up for 21 hours when I heard/saw them, but everything that was sketchy from the night before was improved upon. I kinda think a lot to do with it was that Scott was playing through BB’s amp (I guess Hankskin borrowed it?). His guitar sounded like a guitar and not distorted poo being mushed through a pedal. Bobby’s voice actually sounded better (or at least he was pushing it at the right places). I grabbed a set list (posted below) the last song they played (Fresh Air) isn’t listed. They seemed tighter and songs/set list seemed to flow better, only minor fuck up I noticed was that Bobby didn’t sing the right verse on Punch The Geek. I’d say if Sat show was like a 70%, this show was like an 88%. First time I saw them was in Aalst, Belguim in March of 1989, so I was stoked to see them 25 years later and stoked that I was still being excited about seeing them (being old and jaded and shit). It looked like Bobby’s kids were on the side of the stage (who obviously weren’t around when Soulside was) so that must have been cool for them to see their dad perform these songs. Worse thing about this set was that during X Lion Tamer a dude played with them and his guitar was out of tune and he added nothing to the song, he just stood there. I think they said he was involved in Salad Days, but I’m not sure. It honestly was pointless of him to play that song, before they played it Scott even said “Tune?” and he strummed a B bar chord (muffing at least three notes) that was painful out of tune and he said “Nah, sounds good”. DOH.

Anybody else see both night and have different thoughts on the sets/performances?

I saw Kevin both nights, Hunter 2nd night (duh), Target 1st night (duh) and was apparently standing next to Spacelove in Swiz merch line (your voice was hoarse as shit or you always sound like that?). Space, I would have personally thanked you for sending me that True Head EP a while back and thanks for being a Medium or else I wouldn’t have gotten a shirt for my buddy.

Kirby, look, I love listening to live music and jumping around/moshing/bumping into people who are also singing along to music. That is an awesome feeling and for a band like Swiz, I get it. When they opened with Ghost and the whole 5 rows just surged like an eruption and people were singing around me and just going off, that was awesome and I’m glad that I was a part of it. I get why people people do it. I don’t get how/why jumping on top of someone’s head is a “release” or somehow anything other than being selfish or trying to make yourself part of the show? Unless you somehow get the entire area that you are jumping into to raise their hands (and they are all the same height and have the same amount of strength) then you are pretty much saying “Part of my body is going to be hitting someone’s head/back/neck and I don’t a give fuck about them because my two seconds of Tuff-Guy is more important than them enjoying a show”. So yeah, Kirby (not knowing you at all) if that is where you are coming from, then, pretty much fuck off back to a Cro-Mag’s show or the weight room. For what it’s worth there was a posted “no staging diving” sign and I kinda figured that it was “safer” to sing along to a band that I’ve been listening to for over 25 years and not worry about having to punch stage divers in the cock (which is what I usually try to do, or take off their shoes). If I owned a club, I'd have an area in the back of the club with a 4' foot high stage, I'd glue broken glass on the floor and have a "Stage Dive All You Want You Fucking Tough Guy Fucks" sign. I'd have a floor level opening so that I could roll the bleeding morons out of the club because they obviously don't care about the band or other people that are trying to enjoy the show.
FlexMyHead

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:00 pm

I believe that dude playing second guitar the second night (I wasn't there) was Scott Crawford, the guy who made the movie.
the mean

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:11 pm

the mean wrote:I believe that dude playing second guitar the second night (I wasn't there) was Scott Crawford, the guy who made the movie.

I think that is what they said. He should have done what everyone else does when they want to play along to Soulside covering Wire, do it in your house, in your boxers with a tennis racket. Not on stage with an out of tune guitar muffing notes. I dunno, I guess he is the whole reason all these bands are playing so he should get a pass. It just sounded bad.

Also, I haven't seen the movie, but I hope to fucking Jebus there is very little about straight edge in it. If they had Ian sit down and be willing to talk about anything and they asked him to re-re-re-re-explain about sXe, I'm going to throw up. I say that because I overheard someone in the crowd talking about the movie and sXe. Good grief, what else could Ian say about it that he didn't say in Another State of Mind....
FlexMyHead

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:18 pm

You'll like the part with Ian talking about straight edge.
the mean

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:21 pm

the mean wrote:You'll like the part with Ian talking about straight edge.

Can't wait!!! Hopefully there is something about stage diving also. Hahah!
FlexMyHead

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:41 pm

I didn't realize you were there on Sunday, FMH. I would've liked to meet you.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby Hal » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Excellent reviews/pics all...thanks!
Hal

Postby SPACELOVE » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:28 pm

Yeah I lost my voice singing along to Swiz at the Give show

So bad my whisper was louder
SPACELOVE

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:32 pm

From what was seen and heard, they were OK...not great.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby plucky » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:29 pm

I didn't read the whole review, but would absolutely agree that Soulside was a lot better night two. The Mean is correct. That was Scott Crawford as guest guitarist for X-Lion Tamer. Scott is one of the nicest guy around. He is the reason these shows existed including getting dag nasty back together two years ago. Maybe it didn't appear he added anything but symbolically it meant a lot. Scott also was in a local band back in the day called darkness at noon and played along with Swiz and Soulside. Very appropriate for Scott to join in - knowing the history. Anyway, Night two also had less meatheads on the dance floor. If I were to guess, a total of around 100 less people too. There were a couple on night one that were too drunk to remember the show and just there to "MOSH IT UP". Roll eyes. Whatever. Anyway, my daughter was with me on night two and they had small soulside shirts, so she got lucky. Daddy has to wait until they are available again.

FlexMyHead wrote:Sunday.

Had another two free tickets to give away, stood outside for 15m trying to give them away then realized Dot Dash had already started, so I ran inside and gave the two tickets to lady at door asking her to give them to next two people who tried to pay (pay it forward with some PMA).

Dot Dash. Were already playing when I walked in. I also heard some of the amusing Dag Nasty comments, I said (I guess not loud enough) “Better than Second Wind” when he asked if we liked their 3rd record, but didn’t get a response (I thought it was funny). Later on he made another joke about Typical and Makes No Sense later on, so at least he knows the songs on the record. They were tight and sloppy at same time (not an insult). Hunter has to be the happiest looking bass player ever (with a sweet-ass hair cut), the singer was surly looking, Steve was wearing shorts (always has to be one guy wearing shorts at a show, no matter the weather), Danny had that “locked in” look, very focused and steady. I liked what I heard but went to go buy a $5 CD at the end of the show I only saw Office of shirts. As Stabb said they played a cover that was fun. Way more raw and noisy than the recorded stuff I’ve heard, both guitarist did lotsa catchy simple guitar leads at which I enjoyed. A good way to start the show and I enjoyed them much better than opening band from night before.

Office of Future Plans. I could listen to J sing anything , just saying. Start of the set was really rocking and they played many of the songs I knew best (Abandoned Mansions, Lorerei, Aviary). I really couldn’t hear the 2nd guitarist where I was standing and J seemed kinda bummed about this nasty feedback sound. Once the 2nd guitarist went to cello (which I also couldn’t distinguish that well) the set slowed down a bit. I think they could have mixed the set list up a bit better and the songs/tempo would have flowed a bit better. Overall, J’s voice was great and they put on a good show (for a semi-side project) but were a bit uneven.

Soulside. Holy shit, what a turn around from the night before! Granted, the first night I had been up for 21 hours when I heard/saw them, but everything that was sketchy from the night before was improved upon. I kinda think a lot to do with it was that Scott was playing through BB’s amp (I guess Hankskin borrowed it?). His guitar sounded like a guitar and not distorted poo being mushed through a pedal. Bobby’s voice actually sounded better (or at least he was pushing it at the right places). I grabbed a set list (posted below) the last song they played (Fresh Air) isn’t listed. They seemed tighter and songs/set list seemed to flow better, only minor fuck up I noticed was that Bobby didn’t sing the right verse on Punch The Geek. I’d say if Sat show was like a 70%, this show was like an 88%. First time I saw them was in Aalst, Belguim in March of 1989, so I was stoked to see them 25 years later and stoked that I was still being excited about seeing them (being old and jaded and shit). It looked like Bobby’s kids were on the side of the stage (who obviously weren’t around when Soulside was) so that must have been cool for them to see their dad perform these songs. Worse thing about this set was that during X Lion Tamer a dude played with them and his guitar was out of tune and he added nothing to the song, he just stood there. I think they said he was involved in Salad Days, but I’m not sure. It honestly was pointless of him to play that song, before they played it Scott even said “Tune?” and he strummed a B bar chord (muffing at least three notes) that was painful out of tune and he said “Nah, sounds good”. DOH.

Anybody else see both night and have different thoughts on the sets/performances?

I saw Kevin both nights, Hunter 2nd night (duh), Target 1st night (duh) and was apparently standing next to Spacelove in Swiz merch line (your voice was hoarse as shit or you always sound like that?). Space, I would have personally thanked you for sending me that True Head EP a while back and thanks for being a Medium or else I wouldn’t have gotten a shirt for my buddy.

Kirby, look, I love listening to live music and jumping around/moshing/bumping into people who are also singing along to music. That is an awesome feeling and for a band like Swiz, I get it. When they opened with Ghost and the whole 5 rows just surged like an eruption and people were singing around me and just going off, that was awesome and I’m glad that I was a part of it. I get why people people do it. I don’t get how/why jumping on top of someone’s head is a “release” or somehow anything other than being selfish or trying to make yourself part of the show? Unless you somehow get the entire area that you are jumping into to raise their hands (and they are all the same height and have the same amount of strength) then you are pretty much saying “Part of my body is going to be hitting someone’s head/back/neck and I don’t a give fuck about them because my two seconds of Tuff-Guy is more important than them enjoying a show”. So yeah, Kirby (not knowing you at all) if that is where you are coming from, then, pretty much fuck off back to a Cro-Mag’s show or the weight room. For what it’s worth there was a posted “no staging diving” sign and I kinda figured that it was “safer” to sing along to a band that I’ve been listening to for over 25 years and not worry about having to punch stage divers in the cock (which is what I usually try to do, or take off their shoes). If I owned a club, I'd have an area in the back of the club with a 4' foot high stage, I'd glue broken glass on the floor and have a "Stage Dive All You Want You Fucking Tough Guy Fucks" sign. I'd have a floor level opening so that I could roll the bleeding morons out of the club because they obviously don't care about the band or other people that are trying to enjoy the show.
plucky

Postby Kirby » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:55 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:Kirby, look, I love listening to live music and jumping around/moshing/bumping into people who are also singing along to music. That is an awesome feeling and for a band like Swiz, I get it. When they opened with Ghost and the whole 5 rows just surged like an eruption and people were singing around me and just going off, that was awesome and I’m glad that I was a part of it. I get why people people do it. I don’t get how/why jumping on top of someone’s head is a “release” or somehow anything other than being selfish or trying to make yourself part of the show? Unless you somehow get the entire area that you are jumping into to raise their hands (and they are all the same height and have the same amount of strength) then you are pretty much saying “Part of my body is going to be hitting someone’s head/back/neck and I don’t a give fuck about them because my two seconds of Tuff-Guy is more important than them enjoying a show”. So yeah, Kirby (not knowing you at all) if that is where you are coming from, then, pretty much fuck off back to a Cro-Mag’s show or the weight room. For what it’s worth there was a posted “no staging diving” sign and I kinda figured that it was “safer” to sing along to a band that I’ve been listening to for over 25 years and not worry about having to punch stage divers in the cock (which is what I usually try to do, or take off their shoes). If I owned a club, I'd have an area in the back of the club with a 4' foot high stage, I'd glue broken glass on the floor and have a "Stage Dive All You Want You Fucking Tough Guy Fucks" sign. I'd have a floor level opening so that I could roll the bleeding morons out of the club because they obviously don't care about the band or other people that are trying to enjoy the show.

Allow me to clarify... this has always been a pet peeve of mine. People who go to shows and then complain when the pit really gets going, and they end up with someone on top of them, or they get crushed against the stage. I'm assuming you've been to your share of shows, so you know what to expect when you're up front. Yes? If you don't like the idea of someone ending up on top of you, maybe up front is not the place for you, (No offense.) but you should expect that that could happen, and when it does you shouldn't complain. You should know that's part of going to a punk show. Like it or not.
Fuck... I'm 51 and I was in the middle of all of that, dancing and singing my ass off. My knees are iffy, but that's not going to stop me from dancing--and no, that's not some tuff-guy shit. Simply put; the music moves me so I want to be in the middle of it all. However, I know that there's a chance I could end up getting kicked, or have someone land on top of me. In fact, I expect it. If and when it happens I'm not going to complain because it was my choice to be there. I've had friends leave shows with broken noses. I've lost teeth when someone kicked me in the mouth after diving on top of me. In the end though, I didn't complain because, again, I expect that that could happen if I go up front, and after going to I don't know how many shows I know that's the risk I'm taking. It's about personal responsibility. You can't control whether or not someone will dive on top of you, but what you can control is where you stand. It's pretty simple. Don't call the guy who jumped on you an asshole, or whatever you did, because he was doing what he felt like. Christ man... isn't that, in part, what punk is about: doing your own thing? Call it selfish if you have to, but lets be real, you know it happens. Blaming someone else for what happens to you because of your decision to stand where you were is shit. There are plenty of places in that club to stand where you can take great pix, and you don't have to worry about this sort of thing. Maybe that would be a better place to be if you're intent is to take pictures, rather than dance. Again, this has nothing to do with tuff-guy shit, but don't try and tell someone else how they should dance, or react to the music. (For the record; the guy who jumped on top of you was not removed from the club, as signs would indicate.) I don't know what happened to alot of the old guys in D.C., but at some point many of them seem to have decided that dancing isn't OK any longer. Well fuck that! If the music moves me I'm dancing! And fuck anyone who tries to tell me how I should react to the music! If you want to tell me well, that's selfish... I can live with that, but it won't change how the music makes me feel. I'm not going to stand there with my thumb up my ass and my phone in the air when the music makes me want to dance. I, and everyone else here is forced to live with rules dicating our behavior, but the last thing I want is someone telling me what is an appropriate way to react to the music I'm listeing to. Again, that's shit.
If you're OK with Shawn jumping on you, why no one else? What's the difference? That sounds a bit hypocritical to me. Oh... and saying this is just some kind of tuff-guy shit, and then saying you're going to punch guys in the cock... which are you today: the pot or the kettle.
Look Mr. K... I'm glad you were there, and happy that, for the most part, you enjoyed yourself. I was there and thoroughly enjoyed myself as well. However, I gotta wonder, to quote NoFX, "when did punk rock become so safe?" Just roll with it, and if you get kicked, knocked down, or whatever, pick your ass up and keep singing, but for the love of God don't complain when you do get knocked down, because you knew it could happen. I get it... you want to watch the bands play without worrying about whether or not someone is going to jump on top of you. All I'm saying is that there are places to stand where you won't have to worry about that, other than up front, in the middle of the chaos. Where you choose to stand is on you, but accept that you chose to stand where you did, and that, if you do choose to be in the middle of the fray, you assume the risks that come with being there.
Stepping off my soapbox.
Kirby

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:51 am

yeah dude, i have to agree with kirby on this one. it is still a punk/hc band playing fast and aggressive music, no matter how old everyone is. if you are right up front you are giving up your right to bitch about getting moshed into, jumped on by a stagediver or pushed around into the stage. i don't personally stage dive, but if i did and someone punched me(esp in the balls), i would definitely retaliate and you are lucky nothing happened to you. it's like there is the one guy always standing right next to the pit, but he doesn't want to pit or get shoved into and he ends up shoving people too hard and gets punched or starts a fight when he should just move to the back or out of the way. part of me thinks that guy just likes fighting and is looking for a reason while trying to live up to some weird code he has about his personal space. shit just happens at shows. i was at fucking primus once in L.A. (like in 2003). they played a song and people started moshing. i got thrown into someone and he punched me in my face like it was my fucking fault people started moshing and i got pushed into him. he tried to run away and I clocked him in the back of the head. i hope he learned his fucking lesson. my point is, go with the flow or stay in the back with the drunks and old ladies.
yourenotevil

Postby SPACELOVE » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:35 am

I'm cool with stage dives as long as they aren't feet first.
SPACELOVE

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:54 am

yourenotevil wrote:yeah dude, i have to agree with kirby on this one. it is still a punk/hc band playing fast and aggressive music, no matter how old everyone is. if you are right up front you are giving up your right to bitch about getting moshed into, jumped on by a stagediver or pushed around into the stage. i don't personally stage dive, but if i did and someone punched me(esp in the balls), i would definitely retaliate and you are lucky nothing happened to you. it's like there is the one guy always standing right next to the pit, but he doesn't want to pit or get shoved into and he ends up shoving people too hard and gets punched or starts a fight when he should just move to the back or out of the way. part of me thinks that guy just likes fighting and is looking for a reason while trying to live up to some weird code he has about his personal space. shit just happens at shows. i was at fucking primus once in L.A. (like in 2003). they played a song and people started moshing. i got thrown into someone and he punched me in my face like it was my fucking fault people started moshing and i got pushed into him. he tried to run away and I clocked him in the back of the head. i hope he learned his fucking lesson. my point is, go with the flow or stay in the back with the drunks and old ladies.

Come at me bro and see what happens. Two hits. Me hitting you. You hitting floor.

In all seriousness, at this point in my life, if I got into a fight (and I didn't start it) I'd get security and then call the cops, talk to someone at club and pursue whatever legal options I had. When I said "punch in the cock" it was more a figure of speech. It's very hard to always hit the cock, sometimes I get the taint, sometimes the balls, every once in a while I get the "holy trinity". I usually grab the person's legs and attempt to pull them down and/or try to take off their shoe, if they are fighting with me, then I do try to elbow them. I'm by no means a big guy (5'10", 220lb) but I have no problem with confronting physical violence in that type of setting.
Last edited by FlexMyHead on Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlexMyHead

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:58 am

Kirby wrote:
Allow me to clarify....

Arrrgggh. I spent like 45m writing the most Asperger-ish breakdown/counterpoint of every sentence you wrote (with snarky comments glore) that by the time I hit submit I had been logged out and I lost it all :(

I have to run out and get some last minute gifts for my niece and nephew, but I'll try to recreate my response, knowing that only you and me (maybe?) would even care to read it. So wait with baited breath!
FlexMyHead

Postby matt » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:50 am

I grew exactly 3 new chest hairs reading this thread. They were all gray.

Now I'm going to go listen to Soulside and then take a nap so I can stay up and watch my programs tonight.
matt
Site Admin

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:53 am

FlexMyHead wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:yeah dude, i have to agree with kirby on this one. it is still a punk/hc band playing fast and aggressive music, no matter how old everyone is. if you are right up front you are giving up your right to bitch about getting moshed into, jumped on by a stagediver or pushed around into the stage. i don't personally stage dive, but if i did and someone punched me(esp in the balls), i would definitely retaliate and you are lucky nothing happened to you. it's like there is the one guy always standing right next to the pit, but he doesn't want to pit or get shoved into and he ends up shoving people too hard and gets punched or starts a fight when he should just move to the back or out of the way. part of me thinks that guy just likes fighting and is looking for a reason while trying to live up to some weird code he has about his personal space. shit just happens at shows. i was at fucking primus once in L.A. (like in 2003). they played a song and people started moshing. i got thrown into someone and he punched me in my face like it was my fucking fault people started moshing and i got pushed into him. he tried to run away and I clocked him in the back of the head. i hope he learned his fucking lesson. my point is, go with the flow or stay in the back with the drunks and old ladies.

Come at me bro and see what happens. Two hits. Me hitting you. You hitting floor.

In all seriousness, at this point in my life, if I got into a fight (and I didn't start it) I'd get security and then call the cops, talk to someone at club and pursue whatever legal options I had. When I said "punch in the cock" it was more a figure of speech. It's very hard to always hit the cock, sometimes I get the taint, sometimes the balls, every once in a while I get the "holy trinity". I usually grab the person's legs and attempt to pull them down and/or try to take off their shoe, if they are fighting with me, then I do try to elbow them. I'm by no means a big guy (5'10", 220lb) but I have no problem with confronting physical violence in that type of setting.

you sound pretty stupid and are talking out of both sides of your mouth on this issue. you would punch a guy(in his nuts if you can get your aim right) who is stagediving as is his right to do, and then if he hit you back you would bitch out and call the cops and pursue legal action when you were the instigator? do you know how hypocritical you are fucking being? my advice is don't fucking go to shows anymore, or start hitting up willie nelson concerts exclusively.
yourenotevil

Postby plucky » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:24 am

Stage diving is ok but there are some unwritten rules: 1) no drunks in the pit and everyone around must pay attention so they don't drop and hurt the stage diver (2) the person stage diving must be under 150 pounds - nothing worse than a 200+ pound fat ass crushing someone's skull. If you are that heavy, you probably should be exercising more and eating less. So stage dive a few more times in the swimming pool and get lean. (3) don't try to stand on people or kick people in the face, lay on your back and act light as a feather. Hate the squirrelly type that flop like a fish out of water. (4) if you are below a stage diver and the diver is a girl, never ever ever try to cop a feel. You are a certified creep if you do. A bottom feeder of society and probably shouldn't be anywhere close to a girl so you never get the chance to procreate. Although if you are the type that cops a feel, you probably won't ever get the chance to procreate. (Somewhat of a joke because I hate "rules", but these are things that should be common sense if you don't get it, you probably lack the mental aptitude to ever get it. )

Dance, have fun. Move because the music moves you. I would never critize anyone that was dancing the way the music moved them. But, I have seen it too many times (and I'm sure many of you have too), there are meatheads that go to the pit for only one reason, to try to bully and beat up on people. That's not music moving you. Look out for the person next to you to make sure your dancing is not making the person around you miserable. The reason these meatheads act that way is because they have seen it in a movie or video or heard about it and they have this energy built up in them and they think is a great way to release it. They have bought into the idea that this is punk rock. I have seen it when girls or kids try to get close to the stage and then get crushed because someone was so unaware that they were being a bully or they were aware and they are just a bully. There is a balance. I remember when it was just friends at shows and we all danced, we all looked after each other and we all had fun, if someone fell down we picked them up. We made sure people didn't get hurt for the sake of getting hurt. So, look after the people next to you. don't go down there to only throw punches. Dancing and beating people down is not punk rock, it is being a asshole. Period.

FWIW, the black cat as well as many other clubs have the "no stage" rule do to (A) liability issue. They are a business. Even though Dante was a kid and part of the early days of DC punk rock and is still a punk rocker today, he also is a responsible business man that needs to keep his business open while providing a great place for people to go to. Black Cat is required (lawfully) to post signs and have an employee try to enforce this this fully so they can fight any lawsuit if someone gets hurt., they've done their due diligence. (B) too many people have been seriously hurt or killed from stage diving. There is not an inherent danger in music even punk rock music. But there is an inherent danger from being an asshole or running into an asshole. There is no rule that says "Assholes, stage front".

I think the truth lies somewhere in between what FYH and Kirby is saying.

I wish I could grow new chest hairs. All new hair growth on me is usually on my back or ass.
plucky

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:29 am

Man, it’s Christmas Eve and I so want to just laugh this off and not waste bandwidth…but…i…am…compelled….to…respond. I apologize in advance.

Allow me to clarify... this has always been a pet peeve of mine. People who go to shows and then complain when the pit really gets going, and they end up with someone on top of them, or they get crushed against the stage. I'm assuming you've been to your share of shows, so you know what to expect when you're up front. Yes? If you don't like the idea of someone ending up on top of you, maybe up front is not the place for you, (No offense.) but you should expect that that could happen, and when it does you shouldn't complain. You should know that's part of going to a punk show. Like it or not.

Obviously, nobody puts Kirby in a corner, he is going dance! Oddly, a pet peeve of mine is people who seriously use the word “pit”, but I digress! Can you think of any situation (besides a punk show) in which being “crushed” is a pleasant or acceptable (other than that weird fetish of fat people sitting on your chest thing)? Yeah, I’ve been to shows and I realize that a few angst filled males are going to try to self-impose their will on others, but I try to not let that ruin it for me. I figure if I try to pull down/take off shoes, scream “YOU ARE LANDING ON PEOPLE” that maybe a meathead might not stage-dive again, or at least it will take them a little longer to do it again. I wish you could see people’s faces when they hear what I say, they have that dazed “Dude, bro, what the fuck, landing on people?”. These guys are truly puzzled that I might not want them to jump from an elevated surface onto my neck/back/side of my head.

I need to check the “What to expect at a punk show” book again because I remember “Only talk to people you know”, “Wear all black” “talk loudly during quiet parts of songs” but don’t remember “Prepare to be involved in arial melee combat at any time” being in there or “Don’t complaining about anything, you fucking pussy”.

Fuck... I'm 51 and I was in the middle of all of that, dancing and singing my ass off. My knees are iffy, but that's not going to stop me from dancing--and no, that's not some tuff-guy shit. Simply put; the music moves me so I want to be in the middle of it all. However, I know that there's a chance I could end up getting kicked, or have someone land on top of me. In fact, I expect it. If and when it happens I'm not going to complain because it was my choice to be there. I've had friends leave shows with broken noses. I've lost teeth when someone kicked me in the mouth after diving on top of me. In the end though, I didn't complain because, again, I expect that that could happen if I go up front, and after going to I don't know how many shows I know that's the risk I'm taking.

Good job of outwitting Darwin for 51 years, I’m sure it’s been a battle.

Again, I think you are interchanging “dancing” and “stage diving”. While I didn’t really say anything about “dancing”, if you consider dancing clearing a 10’ circle around you while you stagger with an open mouth, panting and randomly swinging your arms around every time someone enters your “punx dance zone”, then yeah I think you are a meathead caveman. I consider “dancing” to be leaning, jumping, pushing etc in a very small area near you that doesn’t displace massive amounts of people.
If you honestly expect to lose teeth or get a broken nose at a punk show, I just don’t know what to say. I guess you and your crew of infirmed punk friends have good insurance? Or is having insurance not punk? I keep forgetting what is punk and what isn’t. I almost had to get rid of my microwave until I found out NoFX still uses them on their tour buses to heat up their rolling papers. Anyway.

I expect to hear a band play music at a show and to leave with maybe a shirt, buzz or ringing ears. Not a displaced shoulder blade or a Converse footprint on the side of my face.

It's about personal responsibility. You can't control whether or not someone will dive on top of you, but what you can control is where you stand. It's pretty simple. Don't call the guy who jumped on you an asshole, or whatever you did, because he was doing what he felt like.

You have a distorted view of “personal responsibility”. “Yo dude, if you weren’t such a dongbag and stood in the way of my bullet, then you wouldn’t have gotten shot now would you”. “Well, Mr. Smarty Pants, since you decided to stop at a red light and I didn’t, it’s clear to see that you are at fault for me smashing into the back of your car and sending your head through the windshield”. Blame the victim much? I think the person attempting to jump off an elevated surface onto people should think try practice personal responsibility and maybe do some push-ups or crunches instead? The club seems to think it’s bad idea because some people that get hurt could sue the punk out of them.

Christ man... isn't that, in part, what punk is about: doing your own thing?

Actually, I think that is not what punk is about, that is about being selfish. I think punk was/is about recognizing when and drawing attention to and attempting to fix things that are broken/fucked/status quo/hateful etc. Obviously, DIY is a massive part of that, but I think it’s about trying to be inclusive and welcoming. A “pit” and “stage diving” is mainly just “boy’s fun” and not about anything other than making sure you can get your Johnny Castle on, not caring how it impacts others. Again, I do expect shoving/leaning/pushing during the songs, that is not “Stage diving”.

Call it selfish if you have to, but lets be real, you know it happens. Blaming someone else for what happens to you because of your decision to stand where you were is shit.

Something tells me your last name is not Matlock? This whole “if you are in front of the stage, you are fair game” not coming from a teenage male jock is just baffling to me? You said 51 not 15 right?

There are plenty of places in that club to stand where you can take great pix, and you don't have to worry about this sort of thing. Maybe that would be a better place to be if you're intent is to take pictures, rather than dance. Again, this has nothing to do with tuff-guy shit, but don't try and tell someone else how they should dance, or react to the music. (For the record; the guy who jumped on top of you was not removed from the club, as signs would indicate.)

I collect dumb shit, flyers, records, set lists, memories, zines. I took a photo for that reason, I didn’t expect to get a good photo standing where I was. Holding up your cell phone for 10m is another topic, but I don’t want to get into that. If my earlier post made it sound like I was grumpy I didn’t get a pristine shot of Swiz, that was not the case. I dunno if the guy was thrown out or not. If anything the club would be at fault (I think?). I already have an open PIP case in Florida, so I don’t think I could have pursued anything as this was after the fact, although I saw the dude on the video, but I think it would be the club’s fault and the last thing I would want to do is cause Dante or anybody that works at the club grief.

I don't know what happened to alot of the old guys in D.C., but at some point many of them seem to have decided that dancing isn't OK any longer.

I’m pretty it’s called “growing up and realizing that just because you did dumb shit in your life you don’t have to keep doing it or allow it to happen”. Again, you switched from “stagediving” to “dancing”, two different things.

Well fuck that! If the music moves me I'm dancing! And fuck anyone who tries to tell me how I should react to the music! If you want to tell me well, that's selfish... I can live with that, but it won't change how the music makes me feel.

Awesome dude, dance the night away! Dance on the ceiling if you want (just don’t fall on top of the people!). Get crazy and moonwalk! Check out Verbal Assault’s “More Than Music” while you are at it!

I'm not going to stand there with my thumb up my ass and my phone in the air when the music makes me want to dance.

Sounds like a good time to me? Different strokes for different folks!

I, and everyone else here is forced to live with rules dicating our behavior, but the last thing I want is someone telling me what is an appropriate way to react to the music I'm listeing to. Again, that's shit.

Fuck the rules man!

If you're OK with Shawn jumping on you, why no one else? What's the difference? That sounds a bit hypocritical to me.

Um, Shawn is creating “art”. If I went to a Pollack painting show and he flicked paint on me, I’d understand. If a lumbersexual brought a can of paint and threw it on me, I’d be pissed. Shawn is part of the band and is actively expressing himself and I give him creative license to emotionally/physically respond however he feels. I think this is part of the problem, stage divers think they are part of the show or should be allowed to be. I’ve “stage-dived” once in 1989 at Youth Of Today show, I was upfront getting crushed and there was a steady stream of people stage diving. They covered Minor Threat and I was so fucking stoked, Ray was right in front of me so I climbed on the back of a dude to sing into the mic. I then realized I was on the stage and wanted to quickly get down, so I was about to jump and noticed that nobody was looking at me and that I’d be landing on some dude’s head, so I did the lamest lay-down and gently fall back into the crowd thing ever. On stage, it took me 2 seconds to realize that I didn’t want to be that kind of dick. After the show some people I went with were counting and reliving their stage dives and high-fiving each other. That just reaffirmed me this was a variation of jocks talking about tackles during a football game and I wanted nothing to do with it. Is that really that hard to understand?

Oh... and saying this is just some kind of tuff-guy shit, and then saying you're going to punch guys in the cock... which are you today: the pot or the kettle.

Ok, when I said punch, I really meant visually fondle, and when I said cock, I meant the twig AND berries. So what I meant to say was that I was going to attempt to sexually molest anybody that I could, with my eyes. As I said earlier, I try to remove their shoes/pull them down. Both attempts at slowing them down because I know they are dead-set on repeat jumping/diving. It’s in their DNA man! Seriously, I do think this is mainly a male thing and it does discourage girls or smaller people or big people that don't want to be put into an awkward situation to be near the front of stage/band. That is just dumb and not very inclusive.

Look Mr. K... I'm glad you were there, and happy that, for the most part, you enjoyed yourself. I was there and thoroughly enjoyed myself as well. However, I gotta wonder, to quote NoFX, "when did punk rock become so safe?"

Whelp, you’ve quoted NoFX, you’ve got me! Look, I own a few NoFX records but they are frat-boy humor with muted bar chord mosh sing-a-longs. Quoting them is like farting into the wind, mildly amusing.

Just roll with it, and if you get kicked, knocked down, or whatever, pick your ass up and keep singing, but for the love of God don't complain when you do get knocked down, because you knew it could happen.
I get it... you want to watch the bands play without worrying about whether or not someone is going to jump on top of you. All I'm saying is that there are places to stand where you won't have to worry about that, other than up front, in the middle of the chaos. Where you choose to stand is on you, but accept that you chose to stand where you did, and that, if you do choose to be in the middle of the fray, you assume the risks that come with being there.

How about you stage diving dudes go to the back of the club and get a pig-pile on and beat each other senseless? What gives you the right to be closer to the stage? You obviously don’t care about watching the band? Why is it that you feel you should push smaller, weaker people to the sides? Should everyone go stand next to the girls that are holding their boyfriends bomber jackets? I get that music can be a release and people want to respond to it, just have some decorum and don’t be a fucking spazz about it? Hell, do you know where Rites of Sping (who if they were a band in 2014 would be a big stage diver fans) got their name from? There was a ballet in 1913 in Paris that had dancing and music that was so different that the crowd fucking rioted (just like a NoFX show). So obviously, I understand that music has the ability to hit a nerve and cause a reaction. Just try not to be a dongbag and jump from an elevated surface into a crowd that is not expecting or wanting it, mmmmkay?

I dunno, we are talking in Circles (had to get a Dag Nasty reference in here) and even I think I’ve written enough (a first).

Please believe me that I know I come off as heavy-handed and relentless online, I’m not really that way in person, I’m not foaming at the mouth and clinching my teeth when I respond to you. Like 10 times, I made personal jabs that I didn't mean, I just was trying to bring some humor into this post. I realize “internet arguing” is pointless, it’s just the asperger-ish part of me to not let things go. At the end of the day, “stage diving” is just a blip of annoyance to me and I have many other awesome things going on in my life to not worry about it. I’m just a sucker when I look at a wall of text directed at me. It’s my kryptonite.

So Happy Christmas Kirby! I hope Santa brings you and your other punk friends their new front teeth, new front teeth, cause all the old stage-diving punks want for Christmas is their new front teeeeeeeeeth !
FlexMyHead

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:42 am

yourenotevil wrote:

you sound pretty stupid and are talking out of both sides of your mouth on this issue. you would punch a guy(in his nuts if you can get your aim right) who is stagediving as is his right to do, and then if he hit you back you would bitch out and call the cops and pursue legal action when you were the instigator? do you know how hypocritical you are fucking being? my advice is don't fucking go to shows anymore, or start hitting up willie nelson concerts exclusively.

You got it, stage diving is a Jebus given-right! The "punch him in the nuts" was a goof. I think I explained I try to take off their shoes and/or pull them down and scream at them to stop doing what they are doing. I'm pretty sure that them jumping on top of me would make them the instigator and if I really did get punched I'd "bitch" (sexist much?) out and get someone involved, you wouldn't? I wasn't raised by wolves and/or live by street-honor-code!
FlexMyHead

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:05 am

FlexMyHead wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

You got it, stage diving is a Jebus given-right! The "punch him in the nuts" was a goof. I think I explained I try to take off their shoes and/or pull them down and scream at them to stop doing what they are doing. I'm pretty sure that them jumping on top of me would make them the instigator and if I really did get punched I'd "bitch" (sexist much?) out and get someone involved, you wouldn't? I wasn't raised by wolves and/or live by street-honor-code!

if you are up front at a punk show, expect someone to stagedive on you. and no, it seemed like you were being serious about punching someone in the nuts. trying to pull someone down when they are trying to dive is more likely to hurt them than anything else. i can't imagine that getting a good reaction. either way, you are the instigator, just let it go. like i said, stay in the back if you are going to have all of these old man rules. hardcore is primarily a young man's game, bub. time to make way for the new blood. is it sexist to say bitch out? fine, i am sexist. if someone punched you for trying to pull them down mid dive or taking off their shoe i wouldn't blame them at all. if you start something, be prepared to finish it is what i am saying. you think you are being a white knight or something, when all you are doing is being passive aggressive about this whole thing. i hope you can see that. like i said, go with the flow or get the fuck in the back of the room, then all of this could be avoided. it doesn't have anything to do with being a tough guy or being "raised by wolves." you sound like the type of dude who would push someone back for getting pushed out of the way on the subway in NYC. nothing personal, just trying to point out how irrational this way of thinking is.
yourenotevil

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:19 am

yourenotevil wrote:
hardcore is primarily a young man's game, bub. time to make way for the new blood.

Ah man, I can't thank you enough for making me laugh so hard!
FlexMyHead

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:27 am

FlexMyHead wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
hardcore is primarily a young man's game, bub. time to make way for the new blood.

Ah man, I can't thank you enough for making me laugh so hard!

as much i as i would like to counter argue my point, it is pretty much true. i mean, look you are an old guy on an old board bitching about how some dude wrecked your swiz experience because he was having harmless fun. i had a friend at the show in his 40s and i am sure he was diving during swiz. you can't have all these fucking rules if you go up front at a show, ESPECIALLY a hc show. i made my point, feel free to be irrational. like i said, nothing personal. most of the time you seem to be level headed but you are not coming across logically here.
yourenotevil

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:34 am

I am listening to the Soulside audio from NYC (night #1) now and loving this post :D

FMH-I think I may have to talk my band into calling our next record "The Holy Trinity!"
(Giving you full credit of course)

I'm lovin' it 8-)
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby Hal » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:39 am

Well that was an immensely entertaining lunch hour read. DavidK FTW!
Hal

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:52 am

also, after reading your long post to kirby, i think you are working out some issues you had with jocks in high school and automatically labeling anyone who stagedives as some kind of neanderthal is not being very open minded. i also see a lot of girls stagediving at shows without getting felt up. i see them in the pit too occasionally. your argument would make more sense in 1989, but not in 2015(almost here).
yourenotevil

Postby danny » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:25 pm

people always knew best to stay clear of me at shows. i never put up with the slamming or stage diving nonsense. people wound up in far worse shape by trying to do that in my vicinity. i knocked a friend out for slamming into me at a PIL show at the univ. of md in the early 80s. if anyone ever dove near me, i'd catch them in mid air and throw them back on stage. i came to see the bands play, not witness homo erotica masquerading as audience participation. (not that there's anything wrong with homo-erotica...i just prefer it in greek art, literature and the films of steven segal.)

call me a party pooper - but that shit was tired even when i was a young punk.
danny

Postby plucky » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Where is the like button?

danny wrote:people always knew best to stay clear of me at shows. i never put up with the slamming or stage diving nonsense. people wound up in far worse shape by trying to do that in my vicinity. i knocked a friend out for slamming into me at a PIL show at the univ. of md in the early 80s. if anyone ever dove near me, i'd catch them in mid air and throw them back on stage. i came to see the bands play, not witness homo erotica masquerading as audience participation. (not that there's anything wrong with homo-erotica...i just prefer it in greek art, literature and the films of steven segal.)

call me a party pooper - but that shit was tired even when i was a young punk.
plucky

Postby Kirby » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:17 pm

Wow... I had no idea that when I wrote what I thought was a rather innocuous comment that it woud stir up such a debate, for lack of a better term. Sorry David... I'm not reading that diatribe because it's x-mas eve and I've got shit to do. My initial comment comes down to this: Dave, you played a role in what happened. Accept it. Had you been standing somewhere else you wouldn't have been jumped on. Plain and simple. As I said before David, I understand your point, but you should really try and refrain from the personal attacks when, as you stated, you don't know me. As for your tuff-guy comments; again, which are you today? When you say Bro, come at me and see what happens... that seems to epitomize the tough guy attitude you claim you despise. Then you talk about calling the cops and pursuing legal action against the club. :LMAO: Well that right there is why the Black Cat and other clubs have no stage diving policies. I've said all I have to say on the mattter. Either you get where I'm coming from or you don't. If you're ever at another show that I am, I will make sure to introduce myself and by you a beer, or soda if you prefer, and we can hug it out. We're all just there to have fun, so lighten up.
Kirby

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:53 pm

Kirby wrote: When you say Bro, come at me and see what happens... that seems to epitomize the tough guy attitude you claim you despise.

Welcome to the internet! Half the time I'm 50% kidding and making jokes. Could you not tell what was a joke/meme? Did you get my Dirty Dancing references?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/come-at-me-bro

Oldest internet trick in the book is to say "I'm not reading all that shit" when you don't have a point. Fair enough. Let's agree to disagree.

Anyway, this thread should be about Soulside, Swiz, Moss Icon, Dot Dash and Office of Future Plans not this dumb shit.

Yes not all stage-divers are cavemen and cavewomen, I just don't really think they think about what they are doing. Same goes for people that make racist and sexist comments, they are not 100% evil, just not thinking things clearly. Both are a shame and I have no issue pointing it out, even if it is uncomfortable at times.

On another note, I was just at Game Stop buying an Xbox game cards for my nephew when the guy behind the counter sees my Minor Threat shirt and says "Oh wow! I saw them in 1983 at the Wilson Center". His name was Mike and he looked to be in his late 40's/early 50's and he was telling me about shows he saw at Love Hall in Philly (he was at a DYS show that I have a video of!) and how Tesco and Stabb were two of the nicest people he had ever met. We ended up talking about 6m and held up the line talking about old punk stuff! The issue of stage diving didn't come up but he did mention getting batteries thrown at him as he walked down the street though. Today's hardcore kidswould probably catch the batteries with their teeth and karate kick them back!
Last edited by FlexMyHead on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlexMyHead

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:01 pm

yourenotevil wrote:also, after reading your long post to kirby, i think you are working out some issues you had with jocks in high school and automatically labeling anyone who stagedives as some kind of neanderthal is not being very open minded. i also see a lot of girls stagediving at shows without getting felt up. i see them in the pit too occasionally. your argument would make more sense in 1989, but not in 2015(almost here).

My last response (PM if you want to continue). I wrestled in high school for three years, played soccer for one and currently attend Rays Baseball games semi-frequently, been to numerous Orlando Magic games and watch/follow NFL pretty seriously. I'm against "jock mentality" be it at the workplace, parking lot or Black Cat. Most jocks I know were stupid violent morons, but not all were, seemed to be a higher percentage though. Your right, I'm sure people that were stage diving at Swiz I could probably have a nice conversation with etc, however that doesn't mean they (for that moment) didn't give a fuck about anybody else's personal/physical well-being. Girls can be stupid selfish fucks also, so I don't doubt some girls do stage dive.

You are right It is 2015, why don't you new blood hardcore kids think of some new way to dance/express yourself for a change? Don't you get tired of doing the same shit us old dudes did 25 years ago when it was semi-new and somewhat of a statement? Name one other style of music that still dances the same from 25 years ago? Hell, doing the Jitter-Bug at a current hardcore show would be more hardcore than moshing. Some people were born to create, others just to copy the same old tired shit I guess.
FlexMyHead

Postby version sound » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:46 pm

I hate the kids.

Gotta agree with Danny, slamming and stagediving was always pretty weak. It's even worse when it happens at a non-punk show, like it did all too often in the '90s. That being said, I usually just stay in the back, 'cause there are fewer assholes there.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:17 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:also, after reading your long post to kirby, i think you are working out some issues you had with jocks in high school and automatically labeling anyone who stagedives as some kind of neanderthal is not being very open minded. i also see a lot of girls stagediving at shows without getting felt up. i see them in the pit too occasionally. your argument would make more sense in 1989, but not in 2015(almost here).

My last response (PM if you want to continue). I wrestled in high school for three years, played soccer for one and currently attend Rays Baseball games semi-frequently, been to numerous Orlando Magic games and watch/follow NFL pretty seriously. I'm against "jock mentality" be it at the workplace, parking lot or Black Cat. Most jocks I know were stupid violent morons, but not all were, seemed to be a higher percentage though. Your right, I'm sure people that were stage diving at Swiz I could probably have a nice conversation with etc, however that doesn't mean they (for that moment) didn't give a fuck about anybody else's personal/physical well-being. Girls can be stupid selfish fucks also, so I don't doubt some girls do stage dive.

You are right It is 2015, why don't you new blood hardcore kids think of some new way to dance/express yourself for a change? Don't you get tired of doing the same shit us old dudes did 25 years ago when it was semi-new and somewhat of a statement? Name one other style of music that still dances the same from 25 years ago? Hell, doing the Jitter-Bug at a current hardcore show would be more hardcore than moshing. Some people were born to create, others just to copy the same old tired shit I guess.

i am hardly a new blood kid. i am not ready for the AARP like most of the people on here, but i am not like 25 and still going to shows every weekend. i never even really moshed or dove at shows, i just know what to expect when i stand up front at a punk show. you seem to have a bunch of weird ideas about what people should do or not do at a show. none of it makes sense at all. i have made my point, but there is no use in arguing further about it. if the above comment from you about people who make racist and sexist comments are not "100 percent evil" is a dig at me, show me where i said something racist or sexist in here. like i said, go to the back of the room the next show you see. the way you approach divers is going to lead to a confrontation one day(if it hasn't already) and there's no point in any of that shit.
yourenotevil

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:36 pm

version sound wrote:I hate the kids

Dont WE ALL?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Kirby » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:02 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:Oldest internet trick in the book is to say "I'm not reading all that shit" when you don't have a point. Fair enough.

Oldest internet trick in the book is to use pseronal attacks when you really don't have much of a point, or a good rebuttal.
Didn't care for the NoFX quote huh? Well how abuot this... I just watched the Postive Force Doc and there's a statement made by one of the guys in Crass that exemplifies what I was getting at: there is no authority other than yourself. That means you are responsible for your own actions. That better?
My GF, whom you have met a few times, has tried to assure me that you're not this guy. That you're actually a nice guy, and funny to boot. I love her so I'll take her word for it, but to be honest David all your post has shown me is that you know how to act like a condescending prick. (Note I said you can act like, not are.)

FlexMyHead wrote:I wrestled in high school for three years, played soccer for one and currently attend Rays Baseball games semi-frequently, been to numerous Orlando Magic games and watch/follow NFL pretty seriously.

Well that explains a lot.
Kirby

Postby john stabb » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:45 pm

Wow, how long has it been since we had some real DRAM-A on here :?:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby target » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:45 am

I had a great time at this-- thanks to everyone who came out or had an interest!
target

Postby SPACELOVE » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:02 am

target wrote:I had a great time at this-- thanks to everyone who came out or had an interest!

you made my year!
SPACELOVE

Previous

Return to daghouse