Soulside this weekend in DC

Soulside this weekend in DC

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:25 pm

So who else is going? I'm flying in Sat, leaving Monday. Staying at the Topaz (1733 N Street NW, Washington, DC), which hopefully is within safe walking distance and a semi-decent hotel (for a balding, fat yuppie like me). I'm traveling light and have narrowed down my show outfits to one of the below four. I'm favoring the "who me? ive tucked in my jeans to better dance" guy on the far right, however I could be talked into wearing one of the other outfits. Come say "Hi" and I will buy you a drink and let you hold a test pressing!

FlexMyHead

Re: Soulside this weekend in DC

Postby version sound » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:34 pm

I never pegged you for a lumbersexual.

The Topaz is nice, and that entire area has been yuppified considerably.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:25 pm

I look (at least on some days) kind of like the second guy from the left (though I'm way bigger), but to be fair I've been rocking the beard (or other facial hair) and (in colder months) the flannel long before whatever dipshits invented the "lumbersexual" term were probably even born. Well maybe not that long, but since the early '90s.

Anyway, I'll be there on Saturday night, still trying to figure out logistics of when we'll all get down there, etc.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby danny » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:21 pm

hmmm. i thought that was a picture of soulside.
danny

Postby Hal » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:16 pm

Unfortunately, I had to bail. Couldn't find an affordable plane/train ticket. Some of you know my buddy George...he'll still be there. When Fugazi takes the stage, please feel free to discuss with him how stupid I am for not shelling out the dough to get down there :?
Hal

Postby plucky » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:43 pm

Just don't wear a Swiz shirt to this show
plucky

Postby the mean » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:00 pm

Myself and Mrs. Mean will be at the movie and the Red Hare show on Friday, and then the Swiz / Soul Side show on Saturday.

Will also be eating lots of good vegan meals over the course of the weekend.
the mean

Postby version sound » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:49 pm

plucky wrote:Just don't wear a Swiz shirt to this show

I just ordered one of those sweet white Swiz shirts with the pic of Shawn last week. Hopefully it'll arrive before Saturday.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby plucky » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:43 pm

Oh, forgot this earlier. My friend Kevin will be at the Movie with his better half on Friday. She will also join him for the show on Saturday and his daughter will join him for the show on Sunday. His beard is almost completely gray so it's more Santasexual than lumbersexual
plucky

Postby gregpolard » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:03 pm

I hate you all.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:26 pm

plucky wrote:Oh, forgot this earlier. My friend Kevin will be at the Movie with his better half on Friday. She will also join him for the show on Saturday and his daughter will join him for the show on Sunday. His beard is almost completely gray so it's more Santasexual than lumbersexual

Speaking of Santasexual, I watched this a few nights ago. It's one of my favorite movies.

Also, I'm beyond excited to be seeing both Swiz AND Soulside. Just one or the other would've been enough to warrant going down to DC, but this should be amazing. I never thought I'd ever get to see either one. I figured it out based on what a few members posted on FB and got really excited.
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:43 pm

WOW, I had kind of gotten over the fact that I was missing Soulside, but missing Swiz too. This is too much. :cry:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:13 pm

the mean wrote:Myself and Mrs. Mean will be at the movie and the Red Hare show on Friday, and then the Swiz / Soul Side show on Saturday.

Will also be eating lots of good vegan meals over the course of the weekend.

What's your sudden interest in Swiz and Soulside? I will be eating 4 cheeseburgers to offset any vegan meals you may be having.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby the mean » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:20 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:What's your sudden interest in Swiz and Soulside? I will be eating 4 cheeseburgers to offset any vegan meals you may be having.

Well, they are good bands.

Also, your definition of "sudden" is odd.
the mean

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:36 pm

the mean wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:What's your sudden interest in Swiz and Soulside? I will be eating 4 cheeseburgers to offset any vegan meals you may be having.

I just said all that to fuck with you. Don't you ever laugh?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby plucky » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:42 pm

Hey midge. You coming to see me this weekend?
plucky

Postby the mean » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:49 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
the mean wrote:

Really? I had no idea.
the mean

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:02 pm

the mean wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
the mean wrote:

Really? I had no idea.

So I guess I answered my own question.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby drew » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:53 am

I almost forgot the show was this week!! I'm going Thurs. so I'll let you all know what to expect from your sloppy seconds.... :lol:
drew

Postby version sound » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:58 am

drew wrote:I almost forgot the show was this week!! I'm going Thurs. so I'll let you all know what to expect from your sloppy seconds.... :lol:

I, for one, am glad they get to warm up on you people. They can work out the kinks before the REAL show. Also, we get the super secret special opener. I'll gloat more about that afterwards.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gunter1976 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:57 am

Hal wrote:When Fugazi takes the stage

No chance.

I am sure Soul Side will be a blast though. Wish I could make it.
gunter1976

Postby mommagriz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:41 pm

Kev and I are planning on coming. My co-worker is in the hospital so he won't be able to make it. Sorry to hear Hal won't be there. :(
Oh punk rock, it's like you never left rock'n'roll high school.
mommagriz

Postby mommagriz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:46 pm

I may have an extra ticket if anyone needs one. I'll keep you posted.
mommagriz

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:46 pm

fuck i wish i could see swiz or red hare do a full swiz set.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:08 pm

UGHHHHHH
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Jeremy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:54 pm

look for me, I look like the 2nd from the left. I will be hanging with Hunter Bennett III for some portion of the evening I'm sure.
Jeremy

Postby Hal » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:46 am

mommagriz wrote:Sorry to hear Hal won't be there. :(

:( I already know I'm going to regret this one for years to come. But, ultimately, spending the money on xmas stuff for my kids will bring me even more joy (or so I keep telling myself). Enjoy the show Dagsters! Please post lots of pics and vids!!
Hal

Postby Hal » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:48 am

FlexMyHead wrote:So who else is going?

I'm not even sure if I told you this...but I wore my SWIZ t-shirt, in your honor, to the Salad Days shows in 2012. I'm stoked that you'll be attending this one!
Hal

Postby john stabb » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:13 am

Thinking I may be @ night #3 of Soulside/Office of Future Plans/Dot Dash. Hope to see a few Dags there besides Plucky Kevin. :mrgreen:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby mommagriz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:23 am

john stabb wrote:Thinking I may be @ night #3 of Soulside/Office of Future Plans/Dot Dash. Hope to see a few Dags there besides Plucky Kevin. :mrgreen:

Sorry we'll miss you John. Kev and I will be at the Saturday night show. I have an extra ticket if anyone is interested. My co-worker can't make it. :( He's in the hospital (he will be fine, but he and I spoke and he's not up to coming to a show if/when they let him out).
mommagriz

Postby JGJR » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:33 am

john stabb wrote:Thinking I may be @ night #3 of Soulside/Office of Future Plans/Dot Dash. Hope to see a few Dags there besides Plucky Kevin. :mrgreen:

Sorry I'll miss you as I'll only be at that Saturday show.
JGJR

Postby mommagriz » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:48 am

Soulside ticket has been claimed. Woohoo! And I made a new friend. See you guys tomorrow night!!!!!!!!!
mommagriz

Postby JGJR » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:00 pm

"Soulside and Fugazi "really had a lot of the same influences. And we certainly preceded them," Sullivan says. "We were definitely frustrated when reviews called us a Fugazi-derivative band. That wasn't the case."

VS, pay attention to this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/goi ... y-reunion/
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:13 pm

They may have preceded them, but were playing pretty straightforward Revolution Summer inspired punk rock at that point. You think they would cop to ripping off Fugazi? Yeah, sure. Fugazi was always better regardless.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:37 pm

Hope the next show they play was better than the Brooklyn show.

meh. :cry:
xxxMidgexxx

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:57 am

kind of bummed on these reviews, but not that surprised. it's cool they decided to play again, but you could also see mccloud was into doing different stuff than bobby and there was a reason they called it quits when they did.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:13 pm

Moss Icon: these guys are a barrel of laughs.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:26 pm

SWIZ

Nice Void cover.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Soul Side: better in '86.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FlexMyHead » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:46 am

Had to wake up at 3:30am and head to Tampa airport. Flight to Detriot was uneventful, I do the “my earbuds mean do not talk to me” routine as soon as I get to the gate, so I did not talk to the people seated near me. I dunno I sometimes watch people make best friends on flights, that’s something I’ve never been good at, or even really tried. It would actually be way more interesting to learn more about people and what they are up to, I just suck at small talk.

Got to Dulles, picked up my rental car. It’s a purple Accent. I’m driving a fucking grape. Find hotel very easily, it’s just off Dupont. Hotel is nicer than I thought it would be. They had animal print robes to lounge around in.

Because I’m corny, walked down to see the sights/monuments. There must have been a college Santa Pub Crawl going on near Dupont as there were literally 500-600 kids in Santa hats, reindeer antlers and/or with gawdy sweaters, all toting the same colored mug and acting all drunk in public. Didn’t bring gloves, so my hands were fucking freezing. For the 1st time ever, I bought something from of those corner clothes stalls, $5 for a pair, not that bad.

Walking back was starving so grabbed a flatbread thing from Cosi. Yeah, I know surrounded by real restaurants and go to a cheesy chain store. Oh well.
It’s a short 10m walk to club. I’m amazed at the change/development in the surrounding neighborhoods. Get to club and there is already a long line. I had two extra tickets and did a half-hearted attempt to see if anybody needed them (i.e., said “tickets anyone?” in a normal speaking voice, not really directed to anyone). Met friends and went inside, had two tickets that went to waste. Oh well.

Saw that the line up was Moss Icon/Swiz/Soulside. Soulside was selling the 25 year shirts but…only had medium. I guess all you XL fucks in NY bought all other sizes. Swiz had a shirt and thin “work jacket” with logo on back, but said they weren’t selling it till after they played.

Moss Icon. Sounded a little Lungfishy at times. Guitar had a chorus-effect and did lotsa single picking. Even though I didn’t know the songs, a few were catchy. They had zero stage banter and made no attempt to interact/acknowledge the audience save for the guitarist saying something later on. My friend asked “When did Blind Melon get so angry?”. They weren't the band(s) I was there to see, so it didn’t matter, but meh. Don't get bands that seem irritated to be on stage.

Swiz. Shawn started off set by saying something like “Well, I guess hell has froze over” and that set the stage for a light hearted, fun, sloppy, fast, sweaty, out-of-tune, humorous, explosive set by Swiz! I never thought I’d never hear/see them live and for them to appear to so sincerely be into playing/interacting with the crowd that was great, but also I’m pretty biased. I always thought Jason had great guitar/stage presence, he never is flat footed and his guitar is never perpendicular to the ground. My friend commented “you know, he plays like guitar as if he is skating, you can totally see how skating has influenced how he moves/play” which was a great point. Unfortunately, this caused his guitar to cut out and step on pedals and shit so the guitar dropped out of a bunch of songs. They played a good mix of songs and then they were gone, for the encore they even played some covers (G.I. and Void). Only shitty part of the set was that some fuck stage-dived onto my head, which was annoying, but a week ago I got into a car accident and my neck/back is all fucked up. I get wanting to dance, but dancing with your torso to my head was not mutual. Shawn jumping on me is one thing, you another, so fuck you dude. Tried to take some photos on my out of date camera and the setting was wrong and I was getting moshed, so the photos all sucked. After the set, went to go buy a shirt and people were snaking the line on the sides and when I got to the counter, they only had 1 XL, I wanted 2, one for me and my friend. I bought the last one and gave it to my friend cause I already have 5 Swiz shirts. Thought about the jacket thing, but don’t think I’d wear it in Florida much.

Soulside. Had watched the youtube clip posted and was looking forward to this set. Bobby comes out and as soon as he opens his mouth you can tell his voice is pretty fucked from the previous two nights. He says something about having the crowd sing and then something about Rastafari and then the band kicked in. I was standing stage right and kinda close to stage (and wearing ear-plugs) but I thought overall the sound was pretty ass. Scott’s guitar sound at times was terribad, for example on “Clifton Wall” it sounded like one muted note. I don’t know if it was the amp, mix or what, but it just didn’t sound good. Bobby’s voice held up for the most part (obviously cracking/dropping out at points, but he was trying). I think the band hit their stride later on in the set, the encore was best part. Overall, the Trigger/Hot Bodi songs that were more groovy-ish sounded best. Kinda worried how Bobby’s voice is going to sound tomorrow. At this point I had been up since 3:30am and I was tired as shit, so I was glad to get back to my hotel and crash. Was again not expecting to see such a vibrant night-life of shiny happy people walking all over the place. While it’s not the same area and 25 years ago, I remember people haggling for change and basically threatening to vandalize cars when finding a parking spot at the old 9:30 club.

Today I plan to go to Smash and Crooked Beat and hopefully find the new Give record on colored vinyl, hopefully my spine/neck will recover well enough to do some other shit.

I also have two tickets for tonight's show, if anybody wants them for free.....
FlexMyHead

Postby version sound » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:21 am

I fully agree about Moss Icon. They were like a more dour Lungfish without the hypnotic shamanism.

I thought Swiz was pretty tight. Jason's guitar only cut out on maybe 3 songs. They were full of energy and clearly having fun. They were easily the highlight of the night for me.

The highlight of Soul Side was the three songs they did from the first LP. I didn't love the other stuff, but do have a new appreciation for the inventiveness of Scott's guitar playing on some of the Hot Bodi Gram stuff.

I was tempted by the Swiz jacket, but large was only available in white, and I didn't see myself in a white windbreaker.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby target » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks everyone for coming out or having an interest! It was a blast!
target

Postby earthdog70 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:51 pm

Glad you had fun Target-if you guys want to play Boston in 2015 just drop me a line :D

I guess next will be a Fury reunion.
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby the mean » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:04 pm

I'll post more later, but both nights were great.

FMH, looks like you were right behind me for Soul Side. That's my bald head right in the middle of the frame. I also sat right behind Stabb at the movie.

Nice work, Target.

One of the drunk obnoxious dudes from the side of the stage Friday tried to pick on Mrs. Mean with the line, "You're so pretty. I know Jason Farrell, want to meet him?"
the mean

Postby the mean » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Here's my Soul Side pic:

the mean

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:26 pm

anyone know if they had leftover swiz merch?
yourenotevil

Postby john stabb » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:47 am

Mean, you were right behind me in the doc :?: Did we meet because I'm getting confused with real names vs dagnames :?:

FYH, that sucks about the idiot diving on ya - they get the boot cos against Cat-rules :?:

After hearing the tail end my mate Krrl posted of Swiz covering "Familiar" (which GI 2015 is going to play soon :!: ) - I was seriously bummed I missed it. And despite a few moments where Bobby was a tad hoarse at first - Soulside were even better to me last night Sunday than when GI played with them in Chicago & City Gardens (both when they were talented young men and in the late 80's) :!: :mrgreen: Dot Dash had a killer set + Terry is getting to be really humorous onstage lately:
T: "What does everybody think of the album, Field Day?"
Me (up front answering because nobody else was) "It's an album"
T: (thinking I said something else) "Yeah, it is awesome"
Me: "It's almost as good as Pet Sounds"
T: (not hearing me): "This next song is a Cro-Mags song" :lol:

Hunter spoke about how a song was one of his favorite DC band songs & I yelled "They let you talk now?" (shook my head) - they covered Incredible Snakes song which sounded better by Dot Dash than the f'n Snakes. :roll:
Terry almost fell backwards and I said "Drunk rock" Nobody heard it. I scored the only DD sweat wrist band so I shook my DD wrist band at them.
Hunter wins "best T-shirt of night" award: (in the same vein as the members of Black Flag names tee) his read all the members of "Faulty Towers". :lol:

Again, Soulside were fan-fucking-tastic.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby the mean » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:11 am

john stabb wrote:Mean, you were right behind me in the doc :?: Did we meet because I'm getting confused with real names vs dagnames :?:

Yeah, for a few minutes at that crazy outdoor fest in rural Ohio a couple years ago. Kinda felt like we were crashing a family reunion, so we kept to ourselves at the movie.
the mean

Postby version sound » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:21 pm

Stabb wrote:...they covered Incredible Snakes song which sounded better by Dot Dash than the f'n Snakes. :roll:

Unsurprising, since DD are a better band in every way.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:32 pm

I will write a full review when I have more time, but I will say for now that Swiz completely and totally stole the show for me. They were incredible. I don't remember the last time I got into a pit (I must've been right behind you, David K, since I saw the guy dive on you and I was right behind him, but I didn't see you the whole night), but it was worth it, even with my body still sore from falling off a ladder a few weeks before. When they opened with "Ghost," it was like a bomb went off and I got really excited. That hardly ever happens anymore as I'm almost 40. I'm really glad I went down to DC for this (wish I could've stayed longer and come down earlier; we drove back right after the show; Tony Rettman told me he did a singing for his NYHC book either earlier that night or the night before at Joint Custody) and it was nice to see many of you, albeit too briefly in some cases! Keep the reviews and photos coming, too!
JGJR

Next

Return to daghouse