Important moments for parents

Important moments for parents

Postby Michele » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:38 am

Yesterday I bought the first guitar amp for my daughter, just a small fender to practice at home, she's using my old guitar and soon will start proper lessons...right by now it's smoke on the water, smells like teen spirits and black sabbath basic riffs, but it makes me so proud and I really hope she will keep the flame alive in the family.
what's about your experience with your children? Are them following your passion for music?
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Re: Important moments for parents

Postby Welly » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:47 am

Yeah, our son had guitar lessons when he was younger, but quickly got bored of what the guy was teaching. He carried on from the basics and is now in his own band who've played a few gigs. Our daughter has a drum kit but it's broken down at the moment as my lady doesn't like the noise. She's more into art and creative stuff though.
Welly

Postby Michele » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:13 pm

lessons can be useful to give some bases, guess when you know how to go throught a Whole song you get bored and start a band, at least if you don't turn into some technical geek, that's quite hard due to family tradition down here ;)
Michele

Postby Welly » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:17 pm

The guy was teaching him all classical and solos, and I was like "well if you can't play a Ramones riff then it's not playing guitar". :D
Welly

Postby Michele » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:33 pm

the guy demonstrating to us the amp in the store was all bluesy and hard rocking, so I said: is there a distortion on this?
and he put a little distortion and I said: ok can we try this witha boss overdrive like the one I got at home and he reluctantly added an overdrive but was keeping to play his hardrock stuff with a face like: ugh, this is not a musician this is a criminal.
I love when "musicians" got disturbed by a "play it loud" attitude :D
Michele

Postby Welly » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:51 pm

It's supposed to be fun right? Not a vessel to be filled, but a flame to be lit.

Plus, distortion masks some mistakes.
Welly

Postby Michele » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:29 pm

exactly and the possibility to do some noise unleashing distorted power-chords add some fun to your boring learning project, at least in my opinion....
Michele

Postby wALLton » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:13 pm

My three year old loves to bash on my electric drum kit and will pluck my bass strings with a "picker". If I'm playing music in the background she actually attempts to match the beat and it's incredible to see. Last night before bath I was treated to some nude interpretive dance to a Descendents soundtrack. It warms my heart to see there is still hope for the future generation's appreciation of the classics.
wALLton

Postby danny » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:11 pm

how old is your daughter? my son has been pestering me for an electric guitar since he was two. i got him a drum kit at 6...but he always preferred playing mine...and never seemed to want to take lessons or take it seriously. i finally broke down and bought him a fender mustang II amp and a fender jaguar earlier this year. i told him i would do so if he stuck with his lessons (which had started 3 months prior when he turned ten). he really gets the theory part of it well...and his instructor is pretty impressed. after he sang on stage with youth brigade at 9:30 (for stepping stone, with stab and others), he's been bitten by the performance bug. but he doesn't like to practice, so he is stuck on playing the same black sabbath and ramones riffs at home. he thinks he will improve by listening to hundreds of guitarists! but when he is at his lessons, he manages to handle the scales, tabs and instruction pretty well. he desperately wants to be a rock star...but i'm not keen on having him follow in my footsteps unless he takes it a lot more seriously than i did. that said, he is a real student of the instrument and can tell you what kind of guitar any given guitar player uses...and knows more guitarists by name and sound than i do. he devours mojo, guitar world and guitar player magazines...if only he practiced, he'd be pretty good. secretly, i'm quite proud of him...even though i throw up a little when he starts playing skid row (skid mark) or guns and roses (bums and losers). but i have to temper my enthusiasm when he plays the stooges and such, so my wife doesn't think i'm forcing him down this path.
danny

Postby gregpolard » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:43 pm

My youngest is 3 and loves Fall Out Boy. Other than that he's not really into anything and seems to hate anything I listen to.

My oldest is 7 and is much more receptive. He's been liking when I listen to Descendents, All, Black Sabbath, Fall Out Boy (the one band our whole family can agree on basically), Kiss, Ramones, AC/DC, etc.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:51 am

My son wanted (and received) a 3/4 scale acoustic guitar for Christmas when he was 6 going on 7. I showed him the notes and we discussed as much "theory" as I understand, which luckily is perfectly in line with what you average 6 year old can understand. He seemed to get the "math" of it- you know, how many steps from an E to a G. I got a kick out of it as it got me thinking about things I never thought much about on my own, like how chords are put together. But in the end he had the same frustrations I had at his age - the strings are too damn hard for those little fingers to hold down. I am hoping he'll pick it up again when he's a little older, but I've chosen not to push the issue
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Gary » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:16 am

I always have a guitar or two out in our house,and if the kids(7 and almost 3) want to play with them they can,I also bought a cheap crappy kids electric,and similar acoustic. They tend to gravitate to those more than mine.

I let them plug my guitars into a little practice amp and hook up all my pedals etc and show them how to make crazy robot noises and they love that,but really they like when they use the mic(with the pedals) more. They both love singing but show no genuine interest in instruments. Mind you,I was 20 before I started on guitar,so no hurry.
Gary

Postby Welly » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:19 am

gregpolard wrote:My youngest is 3 and loves Fall Out Boy.

My oldest is 7 and... Fall Out Boy

Correct age group.
Welly

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:21 am

My 8-year-old plays guitar. He seems to like it. His teacher teaches him theory and exercises and stuff and I supplement that by showing him how to play easy songs with power chords. I'm taking him to his first concert tomorrow night: Cheap Trick. He likes a bunch of their songs and thinks Rick Nielsen is cool. I'm looking forward to it.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby Michele » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:32 am

my daughter is 12, she had an acoustic guitar since two and tryed to learn it here and there but Always gave up after few weeks... now it looks she's starting to take this seriously ("as serious can be") and really wants to start Learning to play in a band.
of course, having the possibility to sound like on a record (I mean with an amp and distortion) is encouraging her to keep Learning... today she played the guitar for hours and looks to love her progression in just few days....
Michele

Postby scannest » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:14 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:My 8-year-old plays guitar. He seems to like it. His teacher teaches him theory and exercises and stuff and I supplement that by showing him how to play easy songs with power chords. I'm taking him to his first concert tomorrow night: Cheap Trick. He likes a bunch of their songs and thinks Rick Nielsen is cool. I'm looking forward to it.

I expect a detailed review.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:24 pm

scannest wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:My 8-year-old plays guitar. He seems to like it. His teacher teaches him theory and exercises and stuff and I supplement that by showing him how to play easy songs with power chords. I'm taking him to his first concert tomorrow night: Cheap Trick. He likes a bunch of their songs and thinks Rick Nielsen is cool. I'm looking forward to it.

I expect a detailed review.

You got it.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:44 pm

My three year old is more into singing and dancing, but she did say that she wants to play the fiddle, so we'll see.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:45 pm

scannest wrote:My son wanted (and received) a 3/4 scale acoustic guitar for Christmas when he was 6 going on 7. I showed him the notes and we discussed as much "theory" as I understand, which luckily is perfectly in line with what you average 6 year old can understand. He seemed to get the "math" of it- you know, how many steps from an E to a G. I got a kick out of it as it got me thinking about things I never thought much about on my own, like how chords are put together. But in the end he had the same frustrations I had at his age - the strings are too damn hard for those little fingers to hold down. I am hoping he'll pick it up again when he's a little older, but I've chosen not to push the issue

Ever considered a classical guitar? Those nylon strings are much easier on the fingers.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:40 am

The show was great. The evening started off a little shaky with my son falling asleep in the car during the long drive to Wolf Trap. After parking, we sat on a bench near the entrance and ate the sandwiches my wife had packed for us. The crowd was older and lamer than I expected. I overheard several people raving about last week's Huey Lewis show. The opening act was some lame country singer so we stayed in the parking lot. Cheap Trick hit the stage at 8:00 sharp, after a montage of audio clips, including Damone's Cheap Trick spiel from Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Apu from the Simpsons singing "Dream Police."
Cheap Trick were excellent. They played for about an hour and 15 minutes and played pretty much everything I wanted to hear except "Auf Wiedersehn," "Southern Girls," "He's A Whore," and "She's Tight." They did a great version of "In the Street," however. Robin's voice is as strong as it was 40 years ago, Tom plays as good as he looks, and Dax Nielsen does an admirable job filling in for Bun. But the real star is Rick. He's easily the greatest guitarist I've seen live. He didn't hit a bum note all night, which is saying something because he spent a lot of time striking hilarious poses and hurling picks into the audience. He managed to play a lot of the set using just his fretting hand. Rick switched guitars between every song. Unfortunately, he never played Uncle Dick, but he did bust out the five-neck for the last song.
My son had a great time. He was pretty reserved throughout the show, but when I asked him if he liked it, he said it was awesome and gave me a huge hug. I know he was hoping to get a Rick Nielsen pick, but there was no chance of that because we were in the balcony so I bought him a Cheap Trick button set as a consolation. I've been reluctant to take my kids to shows because I didn't want to seem to be forcing my tastes on them. In retrospect, that was pretty stupid because he and I both had a great time. I'm going to start taking him to more shows.
Last edited by xxxHunterxxx on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:37 am

That reviewed almost made me tear up. Thanks for sharing. I had a similar experience with Milo at the Descendents show a few weeks back. I didn't think he was having that great a time, but afterwards he was so excited and full of questions. It made much more of an impression than I thought.
scannest

Postby Michele » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:37 pm

first time I took my daughter at a show it was a Death metal band by some friends and she wasn't that impressed nor enjoyed it too much (maybe, too heavy as a first taste, but it was more a sort of friends reunion so we decided to pay a visit), than she went with me to few other shows from hc to death-rock, from grind to blues, and she apreciated them a little more each time, not everything but started to enjoy the idea of live music and asked me to take her soon to some of her fave artists gig. Guess, tristania are the first on the list... not a big fan of goth or symphonic metal usually, but they're playing in November near my town with Dark Tranquillity so we could hit the venue ;)
Michele

Return to daghouse