Billy Corgan on Howard Stern (excerpts)

Billy Corgan on Howard Stern (excerpts)

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:25 pm

http://www.stereogum.com/1723929/billy- ... -the-beef/

Billy Corgan of SMASHING PUMPKINS always comes off in the media as a whiner and a hard ass that can't keep his band together (least in my perception,) but for me I've always loved his body of work, musically. Glancing on FB today, I noticed Sterogum's article and obviously they sensationalized the title, "Billy Corgan Disses Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters On Howard Stern." I for myself had to check out what whacked out comments Corgan had to say, but I found myself agreeing with him. Just to back track, I loved the big Alternative bands of the 90's and hearing it from Corgan, he's says stuff that find myself again agreeing on. While PEARL JAM is still a big band on longevity, they don't stack up when compared to NIRVANA or SMASHING PUMPKINS. I also agree with his statement on the FOO FIGHTERS. they keep making the same album over and over again and there's just too much filler on every release. Also interesting when he was dating Courtney Love. I agree that "Live Through This" is undervalued. Great album for it's time. Anyways, you could disagree with me and say I'm full of shit, but just thought I'd post my thoughts on the subject matter.
^v^
WrEtcH

Re: Billy Corgan on Howard Stern (excerpts)

Postby jeffb01 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:49 pm

I agree with you overall. Not the biggest Smashing Pumpkins fan, but I think the foo fighters and Pearl Jam are pretty bad and I think courtney love / hole are great.
jeffb01

Postby MXV » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:46 am

Billy is a damn good songwriter. I just shot their (Smashing Pumpkins) show here in Chicago the night before Thanksgiving and it was a damn good rock show. They do an amazing cover of "Fame" from Bowie that they need to record. I also really enjoyed the new songs they played.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:02 am

I used to be a Corgan fan until I saw his solo show at the 930 Club and it was one of the worst rock shows I have seen EVER. His rambling monologue at the end of the show (with the house lights up) was the most pretentious display of egoist grandstanding I have ever witnessed in my life. I honestly lost any remaining interest I had in the music after Jimmy Chamberlain left. :roll:

I read somewhere the Tommy Lee played drums with Corgan once, I'm assuming just as a one-off :?:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby danny » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:59 am

he's an odd duck - and very controlling (from what i hear) - but i love the first pumpkins album...and am fond of many of the songs thereafter. to me - it's not just his song-writing...it's that he had one of the best drummers going backing him up. jimmy chamberlain, for all his problems, was incredible. i'd definitely consider myself a fan of the band. and hearing him diss pearl spam adds to his credibility.
danny

Postby MXV » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:36 am

earthdog70 wrote:
I read somewhere the Tommy Lee played drums with Corgan once, I'm assuming just as a one-off :?:

Tommy Lee played drums on the new album that came out this week. Their current drummer now is the guy that was in Rage Against the Machine.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Return to daghouse