Milo goes to college

Milo goes to college

Postby clash77 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:51 pm

i know Greg is rubbing one out as he reads this.All good.Where does this record stand??..High on my list..2 records in one as far as I'm concerned
"Parents" will always annoy me..Not sure why, the "Black Eye" on an otherwise perfect record..Thoughts?
clash77

Re: Milo goes to college

Postby gregpolard » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Sometimes I say “Everything Sucks” is my favorite (SELLOUT!!!!!) but other times it’s this one. It’s the first full album of theirs I ever heard and it’s super special to me and I never get sick of it.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:00 pm

up there with

"Los Angeles,"
" "Damaged,"
"Group Sex,"
Adolescents blue album,
"Back To Samoa,"
"Mommy's Little Monster,"
"The Record"
1st Suicidal album
(must I go on?)

as far as best LA Punk albums of the 80's.

sorry, I'm biased. oh and "Parents" is a great song. flawless album and one of the few punk concept albums around.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby lewdd » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:26 pm

WrEtcH wrote:up there with

"Los Angeles,"
" "Damaged,"
"Group Sex,"
Adolescents blue album,
"Back To Samoa,"
"The Record"
1st Suicidal album
(must I go on?)

sorry, I'm biased. oh and "Parents" is a great song. flawless album and one of the few punk concept albums around.

Don't forget:

"Fear of Life"
"Living in Darkness"
"A World Apart"
"Sink with California"
"Suffer"
"Dance with Me"
lewdd

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:37 pm

lewdd wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:up there with

"Los Angeles,"
" "Damaged,"
"Group Sex,"
Adolescents blue album,
"Back To Samoa,"
"The Record"
1st Suicidal album
(must I go on?)

Don't forget:

"Fear of Life"
"Living in Darkness"
"A World Apart"
"Sink with California"
"Suffer"
"Dance with Me"

fully agree, but I'd replace "Suffer" with "How Could Hell Be Any Worse?" (just for the time frame. that being said, "Suffer" is a great album.)
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby clash77 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:45 pm

gregpolard wrote:Sometimes I say “Everything Sucks” is my favorite (SELLOUT!!!!!) but other times it’s this one. It’s the first full album of theirs I ever heard and it’s super special to me and I never get sick of it.

But where do rank it Greg( not only among Descendents records but in Punk lore)?
clash77

Postby gregpolard » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:47 am

clash77 wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Sometimes I say “Everything Sucks” is my favorite (SELLOUT!!!!!) but other times it’s this one. It’s the first full album of theirs I ever heard and it’s super special to me and I never get sick of it.

But where do rank it Greg( not only among Descendents records but in Punk lore)?

Top 5, easily.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:57 am

I always liked Christgau's review:

Milo Goes to College [New Alliance, 1982]
These fishermen don't kid around about what powers hardcore hyperdrive--not simply an unjust society, but also a battered psyche. When they're feeling bad, any kind of power--money, age, ass-man cool, the possession of a vagina--can set off their anarchic, patricidal, "homo"-baiting, gynephobic rage. But their bad feelings add poignant weight to the doomed vulnerability of the last four songs, which happen to be their hookiest--"Marriage" ("I want you to marry me"), "Hope" ("I'm not giving up"), "Bikeage" ("Don't be afraid, it's not too late") and--chillingly--"Jean Is Dead." And you thought there were no more concept albums. A-
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby The Snake » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:11 am

Next to Everything Sucks, my favorite Descendents album.
The Snake

Postby soulforce » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:22 am

Their best LP, for sure. But what's with this "concept album" tag? I never knew there was another concept hardcore punk record besides "Zen Arcade". Please, enlighten me!
soulforce

Postby gregpolard » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:22 am

scannest wrote:I always liked Christgau's review:

Milo Goes to College [New Alliance, 1982]
These fishermen don't kid around about what powers hardcore hyperdrive--not simply an unjust society, but also a battered psyche. When they're feeling bad, any kind of power--money, age, ass-man cool, the possession of a vagina--can set off their anarchic, patricidal, "homo"-baiting, gynephobic rage. But their bad feelings add poignant weight to the doomed vulnerability of the last four songs, which happen to be their hookiest--"Marriage" ("I want you to marry me"), "Hope" ("I'm not giving up"), "Bikeage" ("Don't be afraid, it's not too late") and--chillingly--"Jean Is Dead." And you thought there were no more concept albums. A-

That's great. In almost 20 years of me listening to the album, I have to say I never really heard it as a concept album. Now I feel like I need to pay even more attention!
gregpolard

Postby worldismyfuse » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:50 am

My favorite record of theirs for sure. First one I heard and the one I play the most.
worldismyfuse

Postby MXV » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:33 am

It's about as perfect of an album as it gets. One of my most favorite punk records and there's no debating that it is their best album.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby gregpolard » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:14 am

Someone explain the concept album portion, though. I am an idiot. Full disclosure.
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:42 am

gregpolard wrote:Someone explain the concept album portion, though. I am an idiot. Full disclosure.

Think of the concept as "teenaged alienation."
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:50 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Someone explain the concept album portion, though. I am an idiot. Full disclosure.

Boom. thank you. God, I'm slow.
gregpolard

Postby Chris Shary » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:38 pm

Concept album = Revisionist History.
Any honest album has a "concept" .
Chris Shary

Postby scannest » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:50 pm

I don't think he is saying College is a concept record. He's noticing a theme (lyrically) and making a joke about concept records.

And I'm pretty sure that was published in his Consumer Guide when the record came out (or soon thereafter) so I'm not sure about the "revisionist history" bit.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:54 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:

This is why it is loved by many!
lewdd

Postby Chris Shary » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:01 pm

I agree Scannest. I don't think he was seriously suggesting it was a concept album. I was just joking that that's the sort of "evidence" that gives "facts" to those who indulge in revisionist history.
Guess my point was smart assed but didn't read well. I gotcha.
Chris Shary

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:02 pm

your answer is on side two. I think concept might have been a wrong use of words, but you notice how the songs piece together starting with "Marriage" and ending with "Jean Is Dead."
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby tango fistula » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:46 pm

In my top 100
tango fistula

Postby The Snake » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:45 am

It is one of those perfect records like Adolescents blue album or Group Sex by Jerks or Damaged, when you know the whole album by heart back and fort.
As for the love songs on the album, I think that Bill´s songs are about the same girl (Bikeage and Jean Is Dead, maybe even Myage).
Hearing the record in high school when I was in love with a girl from my class (that didn´t had the same feelings for me) I could definitely identify with the record, especially with Hope. :D
The Snake

Postby JGJR » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:11 am

soulforce wrote:Their best LP, for sure. But what's with this "concept album" tag? I never knew there was another concept hardcore punk record besides "Zen Arcade". Please, enlighten me!

Well that and the Fucked Up discography. :lol:

Double Nickels on the Dime was originally supposed to be an Ummagumma style concept album with each member having a side.

I'm sure there are other examples, too.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby johnnotkathi » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:42 am

Its a fantastic record and one of just a few that really hits home for me. I have always driven a lot as a part of my work and there are a couple records that I can not only listen to from beginning to end in utter happiness but they really bring me back to amazing memories of punk days gone by....

Milo Goes to College
Plastic Surgery Disasters
Dance with Me

These top the list....not sure why but they really strike a chord in my gut (I'm about to get weepy...LOL) :D
johnnotkathi

Postby 77clash » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:48 am

I loves me some "Terminal Preppie"
77clash

Postby johnnotkathi » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:04 am

77clash wrote:I loves me some "Terminal Preppie"

....Well Paid Scientist, Trust Your Mechanic, Riot, Government Flu, Moon over Marin......
johnnotkathi

Return to daghouse