Smiths Remasters

Smiths Remasters

Postby version sound » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:51 am

Have any of you ever heard them? Once again, due to iPod death, I'm left with nothing digital but the Tate sessions. When I got all the Smiths stuff on vinyl, I got rid of the CDs, 'cause iPods are forever, right? Now I'm faced with replacing the MP3s for regular listening and debating Complete vs. cheap used CDs.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Smiths Remasters

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:59 am

version sound wrote:Have any of you ever heard them? Once again, due to iPod death, I'm left with nothing digital but the Tate sessions. When I got all the Smiths stuff on vinyl, I got rid of the CDs, 'cause iPods are forever, right? Now I'm faced with replacing the MP3s for regular listening and debating Complete vs. cheap used CDs.

can't help you with these, but in the future, i would recommend getting an external hard drive and backing up all of your stuff on it, and even those should be replaced every 4 or 5 years. my friend still has one of the first ipods and it still works, but he barely ever uses it. i have never had one last more than 4 years i think, without something major happening to it(the click wheel stopped on one and my last one could not be read by any computer and therefore i couldn't change any of the songs).
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:15 am

yourenotevil wrote:
version sound wrote:Have any of you ever heard them? Once again, due to iPod death, I'm left with nothing digital but the Tate sessions. When I got all the Smiths stuff on vinyl, I got rid of the CDs, 'cause iPods are forever, right? Now I'm faced with replacing the MP3s for regular listening and debating Complete vs. cheap used CDs.

can't help you with these, but in the future, i would recommend getting an external hard drive and backing up all of your stuff on it, and even those should be replaced every 4 or 5 years. my friend still has one of the first ipods and it still works, but he barely ever uses it. i have never had one last more than 4 years i think, without something major happening to it(the click wheel stopped on one and my last one could not be read by any computer and therefore i couldn't change any of the songs).

I had one of those. It died. The hard drive on my laptop died too. My current plan is to just keep CDs of shit I really care about, instead of ripping and reselling. Alternately, Amazon MP3 and iTunes purchases get stored in the cloud for later retrieval, if need be. I would just save my own files to my own damn cloud, but my sister's iCloud was recently corrupted, so that's not foolproof either.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:36 am

version sound wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

I had one of those. It died. The hard drive on my laptop died too. My current plan is to just keep CDs of shit I really care about, instead of ripping and reselling. Alternately, Amazon MP3 and iTunes purchases get stored in the cloud for later retrieval, if need be. I would just save my own files to my own damn cloud, but my sister's iCloud was recently corrupted, so that's not foolproof either.

damn man, you got screwed pretty bad there. but yeah, nothing is foolproof. i remember in 2005 most of my friends were selling their cd collections. while there was still a market for them then, i wisely kept mine. of course, i have to keep them in storage and in reality you need a ton of space to keep them in a house, but vinyl is the same deal. i have gone through 3 external hd's, but the ones they make now are a lot bigger and better than the ones they were making 5 years ago. but general rule of thumb is to replace those every 5 years as well.

i can't think of a place online to get really cheap prices on cds. amazon and other places upped their shipping prices to 4 dollars, so even if you find a cd for cheap, it usually ends up costing close to 9 bucks or something.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:16 am

VS, I got you. I have the mp3s of the complete box set. The Smiths CD's are some of the few I still own (my wife is a huge Smiths/Moz fan) and the CDs I have are the original issue, but I was sent the mp3s a couple years ago when the remasters came out. I think they sound pretty damn good.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:25 am

Do the remasters sound noticeably better than the old CDs? Even though I own all of the LPs , I've done 99% of my Smiths listening over the last 25 years on the original masters of the CDs.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:57 am

version sound wrote:Do the remasters sound noticeably better than the old CDs? Even though I own all of the LPs , I've done 99% of my Smiths listening over the last 25 years on the original masters of the CDs.

I truly think they do sound better. At least louder...ha
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby drew » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:45 am

I have the "Complete" CD box, everything sounds great. I got it new on Amazon for $30 which is really good for eight CD's. Booklet is shite tho, just a few pages but the LP recreations look very cool......
drew

Postby version sound » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:18 pm

drew wrote:I have the "Complete" CD box, everything sounds great. I got it new on Amazon for $30 which is really good for eight CD's. Booklet is shite tho, just a few pages but the LP recreations look very cool......

Was it new? The cheapest I can find is like $54.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:31 pm

yes, it was new.
drew

Postby version sound » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:53 pm

drew wrote:yes, it was new.

Damn. That's a no-brainer.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:57 pm

That's a great deal. I almost bought the box when it came out despite not buying CD's anymore...and that was cause I had credit at the record store and it would've been like $70. I passed since I had the mp3s and already bought all of the CD's once.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:41 pm

gregpolard wrote:That's a great deal. I almost bought the box when it came out despite not buying CD's anymore...and that was cause I had credit at the record store and it would've been like $70. I passed since I had the mp3s and already bought all of the CD's once.

I hear you. I have all of those albums on Lp and also on CD (the first issues), so I wasn't about to buy the remasters!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:04 pm

I only got "Louder Than Bombs" since I only had it on cassette and I don't have a cassette player anymore. It's a bit louder but not worth replacing your old copies without bonus tracks. :bag:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Return to daghouse