was last circle jerks single really OFF!?

was last circle jerks single really OFF!?

Postby jeffb01 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:43 am

I was listening to "I'm Gonna Live" (released in 2007), which was the sole song released by the circle jerks in the last 15+ years. It sounds so OFF! like to me. I can't find any line up info. I was wondering if anyone knows the story of that song. Is it really members of OFF! or what?
jeffb01

Re: was last circle jerks single really OFF!?

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:40 am

I believe Dmitri Coats was engineering and/or producing that session, but I haven't heard anything that leads me to believe he played guitar on the song.
the mean

Postby MXV » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:45 am

I've never even heard of this Circle Jerks song!
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby jeffb01 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:57 am

MXV wrote:I've never even heard of this Circle Jerks song!

It's pretty good. It sounds like OFF!. I've gotten really into OFF! as of late and have been listening to the whole Keith Morris catalog...
jeffb01

Postby MXV » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:08 pm

I've seen Off! two or three times, always a great show. I have a couple of their records but just never bothered to keep up with all of them.
MXV

Postby lewdd » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:32 pm

this was recorded a long time ago when the circle jerks were playing shows again. unfortunately, hetson gave morris shit about his band so he quit and then started OFF!. I would have liked to have heard another CJ release because I liked the song when it came out.
lewdd

Postby Chris Shary » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:58 am

I have to say OFF! are infinitely better than the last 20 years of Circle Jerks. However Circle Jerks first 3 albums are pure gold.
Chris Shary

Postby WrEtcH » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:32 pm

BAIN wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw8J-i4j94w

that's definitely Hetson on guitar. you can just tell by the solo is more of the stuff he does for BR where as OFF! is more of the lo-fi BF influenced riffs. if that is Dmitri producing it, that sucks the band imploded because this track is great and who knows what more good stuff the JERKS would have come up with. Not to say there's anything bad with OFF! but would have been cool if Keith were able to have both bands going. If would have been a benefit to our ears. Well, least we got OFF! out of it.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby version sound » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:15 pm

Chris Shary wrote:I have to say OFF! are infinitely better than the last 20 years of Circle Jerks. However Circle Jerks first 3 albums are pure gold.

Yup, those first three are all classics. I like OFF! a lot, but as the VU said, "those were different times."
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:52 am

WrEtcH wrote:

that's definitely Hetson on guitar. you can just tell by the solo is more of the stuff he does for BR where as OFF! is more of the lo-fi BF influenced riffs. if that is Dmitri producing it, that sucks the band imploded because this track is great and who knows what more good stuff the JERKS would have come up with. Not to say there's anything bad with OFF! but would have been cool if Keith were able to have both bands going. If would have been a benefit to our ears. Well, least we got OFF! out of it.

Just what I was thinking. I couldnt have said it better.
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:50 pm

version sound wrote:
Chris Shary wrote:I have to say OFF! are infinitely better than the last 20 years of Circle Jerks. However Circle Jerks first 3 albums are pure gold.

Yup, those first three are all classics. I like OFF! a lot, but as the VU said, "those were different times."

this!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby tad ghostal » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:52 pm

WrEtcH wrote:

Yeah, but OFF! only got going because the other Circle Jerks didn't like what Keith and Dmitri were coming up with, according to Keith. If things had worked out there wouldn't have been a need for OFF!

Anyway, I don't think that this is from the sessions with Dmitri. If I recall correctly, Dmitri didn't enter the picture until 2010, but I could be wrong.
tad ghostal

Postby MXV » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:57 am

I just looked this up and it was a digital only release which explains how I never heard of it before. Fuck that nonsense, it doesn't exist to me.
MXV

Return to daghouse