Who saw Sonic Highways: Seattle episode?

Who saw Sonic Highways: Seattle episode?

Postby john stabb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:37 am

Interesting stuff about The Sonics (who I'd love to see play out again 8-) ) but to see that label-owner Jonathan Poneman has absolutely no integrity in selling his musical catalog, pins, pencils, assorted crap in a Sub-Pop store inside Seattle Airport ... :shock: How fuckin' sad is that :?: And the drummer for Screaming Trees works the counter, to boot :!: I think even Grohl was cringing when he saw that. "Step right up, getcha authentic Seattle Grunge gifts at the Sub-Pop shop :!: And while you're there, don't forget to treat yourself to a cheese omelette sandwich made with real Vedder cheddar. Youse want some Pearl Jam with that, little Grungie dude :?: "

Wasn't Poneman the crapweasel who ripped everyone off and decided to fold the label leaving many employees unemployed :?: Bruce Pavitt was the honest guy with some integrity, right :?: I can't say I'm very familiar with the Sub-Pop story.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Re: Who saw Sonic Highways: Seattle episode?

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:10 am

the sonics played pdx recently but it was like 30 dollars or some absurd amount.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby john stabb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:49 am

Well that is too stupid expensive :!:
john stabb

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:28 am

i am also going under the assumption that they are probably not all that good these days, but i could be wrong.
yourenotevil

Postby scannest » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:54 am

I saw the Sonics 3 or 4 years ago at SXSW and they were really good.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:42 am

scannest wrote:I saw the Sonics 3 or 4 years ago at SXSW and they were really good.

This. I saw them at Maxwell's 3 years ago and they were great.

As for the Sub Pop thing, no comment other than it would be great cool to go that store. I like that there's a Waterloo Records in Austin's airport, for example. The last time we were in Seattle was in 2007, so I wonder if the store was there then in their airport. I don't remember it.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby creature » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:55 am

The Sonics are solid live these days.
That SP shop in the airport has been there for a year or so.
Seattle is still a great place to live .... although the many bandwagon, idiotic Seahawks fans are unbearable. ughh
creature

Postby JGJR » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:01 pm

creature wrote:Seattle is still a great place to live .... although the many bandwagon, idiotic Seahawks fans are unbearable. ughh

That happens anytime a team wins a championship (Super Bowl in this case). Just stating the obvious.
JGJR

Postby creature » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:32 pm

JGJR wrote:
creature wrote:Seattle is still a great place to live .... although the many bandwagon, idiotic Seahawks fans are unbearable. ughh

That happens anytime a team wins a championship (Super Bowl in this case). Just stating the obvious.

It was building up over the last few years and now it's in full force. And it doesn't just bother me because I'm a 49ers fan ... a lot of the people are clueless and I was told that some even seek out fans from other teams and get in their faces about how their team beat theirs, etc. I like sports, but not that way.
creature

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:37 pm

creature wrote:
JGJR wrote:

It was building up over the last few years and now it's in full force. And it doesn't just bother me because I'm a 49ers fan ... a lot of the people are clueless and I was told that some even seek out fans from other teams and get in their faces about how their team beat theirs, etc. I like sports, but not that way.

i figured SEA people would be into it since it is the only game in town, like ppl in pdx(the few that are hardcore sports fans) are all about the blazers and ducks since that is all there really is. LA sports fans were pretty fickle. when the raiders were good in the late 90s and early 00s everyone was wearing their jerseys. the year after they lost the superbowl some chollos were giving me shit about wearing a raiders jersey and were decked out in full on tampa bay gear. it was pretty hilarious.
Last edited by yourenotevil on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
yourenotevil

Postby scannest » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:15 am

I saw some news report (60 Minutes maybe?) a few years ago that made it seem like Seattle was obsessed with its professional soccer team. This was before the Seahawks won big. They were being held up as a model for how soccer could be adopted by a U.S. city. I don't know if that's still the case.
FWIW, I was a huge Seahawks fan when I was a kid. I was 8 when they joined the league and they were just so much fun. They threw the ball constantly back before that become the M.O. of so much of the league, and they were always good for trick plays. I loved Jim Zorn and Steve Largent. Hell, I loved their colors and logo. I still have a soft spot for them and always like to see them win.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby MXV » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:37 am

When did the Sub Pop label ever fold? That doesn't make any sense to me as the label never stopped releasing record and still seems to be going pretty strong these days.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:30 pm

creature wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Ditto; just surprised you like the Niners since you're from LA, right?
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:33 pm

scannest wrote:I saw some news report (60 Minutes maybe?) a few years ago that made it seem like Seattle was obsessed with its professional soccer team. This was before the Seahawks won big. They were being held up as a model for how soccer could be adopted by a U.S. city. I don't know if that's still the case.
FWIW, I was a huge Seahawks fan when I was a kid. I was 8 when they joined the league and they were just so much fun. They threw the ball constantly back before that become the M.O. of so much of the league, and they were always good for trick plays. I loved Jim Zorn and Steve Largent. Hell, I loved their colors and logo. I still have a soft spot for them and always like to see them win.

This pretty much describes why I became a Dolphins fan (minus the trick plays; they were just a straight-up throwing team when that was a lot less common; pretty much just them and the Dan Fouts' led Chargers unless I am forgetting others) during Marino's 2nd, record-setting year. Largent became a Republican congressman in OK, I think.

Oh and I think Portland has a popular pro soccer team, too, no? It was lampooned on Portlandia, at least.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:34 pm

MXV wrote:When did the Sub Pop label ever fold? That doesn't make any sense to me as the label never stopped releasing record and still seems to be going pretty strong these days.

I was thinking the same thing after reading the initial post.
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:17 pm

Thought they did. I mean how else did his large staff get screwed by original owner of the label :?: Massive firing party :?: I still think a Sub-Pop shop in the Seattle airport is pathetic. I mean, I hope to never see the day there's a Dischord shop at National Airport, VA that sells tees, vinyl, pencils, pins, and other crap. :roll:
john stabb

Postby Janelle » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:00 pm

john stabb wrote:Thought they did. I mean how else did his large staff get screwed by original owner of the label :?: Massive firing party :?: I still think a Sub-Pop shop in the Seattle airport is pathetic. I mean, I hope to never see the day there's a Dischord shop at National Airport, VA that sells tees, vinyl, pencils, pins, and other crap. :roll:

I finally watched this last week. Yeah, that was pretty gross.

I liked that Chris Cornell chimed in a few times and the couple mentions/love Mark Arm got were cool but would've been awesome if he said a few words!
As for the Sonics, that was so cool/weird to hear the guitarist say he was so distanced from music for those years that he didn't realize the big impact they had on the scene in the '90s.
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Return to daghouse