Helix

Helix

Postby clash77 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:19 pm

Midge swears this band is cool.ok..He told me to check out the Helloween lp "Walls of Jericho". Which I laughed at 30 years ago..Bathory next???
clash77

Re: Helix

Postby Michele » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:30 am

I'm sure we are not talking about this same band.... :D

"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby dave123 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:39 pm

I can see how people go both ways on Helloween. I like the band, but the vocals polarize people. On the other hand, Helix... I hated them as a kid, and can't see that changing anytime soon. Pretty tame stuff in the same league as Quiet Riot and Keel. Give me the Killer Dwarfs or Loudness any day.

Bathory... now who doesn't like the first LP? The first album is a classic. Some of the later stuff is stellar as well. I am not sure why Bathory would be brought up in the same post as Helix though.
dave123

Postby john stabb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:05 am

Saw Helix (Marc Alberstadt referred to them as "Felix" :lol: ) & Madame X (featuring a yet not famous Sebastian Bach on vox - :roll: ) open for a mighty boring version of Motorhead (the Robo Robertson line-up) in '82. Helix were laughable. MX was worse. Motorhead was un-exciting that night.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby Ed Roach » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:22 am

The original guitarist (Ron Watson) lives across the street from me...he played with them for a year or two back in '74-'75, long before they became famous. He told me that had he known they would have gotten that big, he wouldn't have quit. He gets up on stage with them once or twice a year when they play in Kitchener.
Ed Roach

Postby captain2man » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:50 pm

The first Helix album (Breaking Loose) is actually not too bad. The song "Billy Oxygen" is definitely worth a listen:

to address some other points which need correcting:

- Helloween's 'Walls of Jericho' is an awesome album.....if you don't like it, you hate metal. OK, maybe not, but it's a great example of early European power-metal. Kai's voice is a bit "witchy" on it and I could see not everyone being into it.....but few bands do that style better than Helloween. Great band - both on record & live.

- first Bathory album is great too....when black metal was more power-chord/punk influenced - like early Celtic Frost records. Good, trashy stuff.

- Robbo-era Motorhead......can't account for them live....I know Robertson didn't want to play too much early stuff and didn't dress the part - but man - the one album he did with them - "Another Perfect Day" - is one of my favorite Motorhead spins of all. I have the King Biscuit CD of a show recorded during this era, and I quite dig it. "Dancing On Your Grave" is like the entire inspiration for Leatherface's existence, I think:

captain2man

Return to daghouse