Enjoy!

Enjoy!

Postby 77clash » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:44 pm

I think if you dropped off "Enjoy!" and "Days Are Blood" from the Enjoy! LP and replaced them with "Coolidge", "Cameage", and "Clean Sheets" from the ALL LP; it would rival Milo Goes to College.
77clash

Re: Enjoy!

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:48 pm

my 2nd fave DENTS album. As I've said it before, Bill's best drum tone on any of the discography
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:06 pm

I can get behind this opinion.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby 77clash » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:10 pm

gregpolard wrote:I can get behind this opinion.

Unbelievable our shared love for Descendents/ALL and then our tastes go in opposite directions from there.
77clash

Postby gregpolard » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:07 am

77clash wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I can get behind this opinion.

Unbelievable our shared love for Descendents/ALL and then our tastes go in opposite directions from there.

To a degree, sure. But I think we have more in common musically than you’d expect. :)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby The Snake » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:05 am

My least favorite Descendents record.
Don´t like those rock songs like Green or 80´s Girl.
It could be great EP though.
ALL is much better record.
The Snake

Postby Neal » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:24 am

my fave descendents album, but i could probably do without "days are blood" and "orgo 51." if they had sequenced in those 3 unreleased songs, that might be my fave record ever.
Neal

Postby Chris Shary » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:53 am

I am directing a high school play of "Julius Caesar" and am using "Days Are Blood" in it. No kidding. We open next week.
Chris Shary

Postby 77clash » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:23 am

Chris Shary wrote:I am directing a high school play of "Julius Caesar" and am using "Days Are Blood" in it. No kidding. We open next week.

Did you get approval from the band? ;)
77clash

Postby gregpolard » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:46 am

I actually like “Days are Blood”, truth be told. When you think about the fact that Orgo Fart and Orgo 51 are actually bonus tracks, Enjoy is a lot better.
gregpolard

Postby The Snake » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:48 pm

I also like Days Are Blood, much better then Sour Grapes, Green and 80´s Girl.
The Snake

Postby JGJR » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:23 pm

77clash wrote:I think if you dropped off "Enjoy!" and "Days Are Blood" from the Enjoy! LP and replaced them with "Coolidge", "Cameage", and "Clean Sheets" from the ALL LP; it would rival Milo Goes to College.

I agree or if you would replace stuff like "Schizophrenia" and "Uranus" on ALL with some of the best stuff from Enjoy! like "Cheer" or "Get the Time," it would have a similar effect.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:25 pm

gregpolard wrote:I actually like “Days are Blood”, truth be told. When you think about the fact that Orgo Fart and Orgo 51 are actually bonus tracks, Enjoy is a lot better.

True, but it still doesn't erase the stink (pun intended) of the title track. :lol:
JGJR

Postby ClamShack » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:36 pm

What it could and should of been.

Doug Rides A Skateboard
Vinnie
Wendy
Kids
Hürtin' Crüe
Sour Grapes
Get the Time
Cheer
80's Girl
Green

I think Doug Rides A Skateboard and Green are the most underrated Descendents songs.
ClamShack

Postby WrEtcH » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:56 pm

JGJR wrote:
77clash wrote:I think if you dropped off "Enjoy!" and "Days Are Blood" from the Enjoy! LP and replaced them with "Coolidge", "Cameage", and "Clean Sheets" from the ALL LP; it would rival Milo Goes to College.

I agree or if you would replace stuff like "Schizophrenia" and "Uranus" on ALL with some of the best stuff from Enjoy! like "Cheer" or "Get the Time," it would have a similar effect.

I actually think those are the stronger tracks. I'm of some of the popular opinion that it would be cool just for once that the DENTS drop "All-O-Gistics" on the live set list in favor for "Pep Talk" or "Jealous Of The World."
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:47 pm

WrEtcH wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I actually think those are the stronger tracks. I'm of some of the popular opinion that it would be cool just for once that the DENTS drop "All-O-Gistics" on the live set list in favor for "Pep Talk" or "Jealous Of The World."

"Pep Talk" is one of their best songs and they never play it.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:52 pm

I should have added Pep Talk to my list. For some reason it was not on my mp3 cut of the CD. I guess it will have to wait until next year when I pull it out of the moving box. I hope i remember.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:11 am

Who is it in FILMAGE who claims "Get the Time" is one of the greatest pop songs of all time? Is it Robert Hecker? Anyway, whoever it is - they're right.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:10 am

scannest wrote:Who is it in FILMAGE who claims "Get the Time" is one of the greatest pop songs of all time? Is it Robert Hecker? Anyway, whoever it is - they're right.

It was! He says it's top 3 right under "Hey Jude" and "We Are The Champions" I think, IIRC.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:38 am

gregpolard wrote:It was! He says it's top 3 right under "Hey Jude" and "We Are The Champions" I think, IIRC.

Right band, wrong song - it was "Hey Jude" and "Under Pressure."
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby MXV » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:38 am

I like Enjoy exactly how it is. I don't get the dislike for "Days of Blood". I love that song.

All used to be my least favorite (and it's not a bad record, but I liked the least amount of songs on it compared to others) until Cool to Be You came out which is the only Descendents album I just can't get into no matter how hard I try.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby gregpolard » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:45 am

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:It was! He says it's top 3 right under "Hey Jude" and "We Are The Champions" I think, IIRC.

That's it! Thanks.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:44 am

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

That's it! Thanks.

It is indeed Robert Hecker from Redd Kross (well he's not currently in the band but you know who I mean). He's very recognizable! I forgot that he said that it was like those other songs, but now I vaguely remember him listing "Under Pressure" (which is pretty perfect). And yep he's right. And "Cheer" is just as perfect.
JGJR

Postby The Snake » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:11 am

Not just because those are love songs, but I think that Get The Time and Cheer are the best songs on Enjoy.
The Snake

Postby Chris Shary » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:03 pm

Robert Hecker should have added his song "Love Is You" to his list of greatest songs, but I suppose he was just being humble. That's my jam! "Get the Time" is superb too.
Chris Shary

Postby JGJR » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:03 pm

The Snake wrote:Not just because those are love songs, but I think that Get The Time and Cheer are the best songs on Enjoy.

Agreed, though it's hard to ignore "Sour Grapes" and "Wendy" is great, too, though it's a cover.
JGJR

Postby The Snake » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:09 pm

JGJR wrote:
The Snake wrote:Not just because those are love songs, but I think that Get The Time and Cheer are the best songs on Enjoy.

Agreed, though it's hard to ignore "Sour Grapes" and "Wendy" is great, too, though it's a cover.

Yeah, Wendy is great too.
The Snake

Postby The Snake » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:46 am

I always thought that Doug didn´t fit well in Descendents.
He was more Dag Nasty bass player type.
The Snake

Postby jaybird » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:08 am

The Snake wrote:I always thought that Doug didn´t fit well in Descendents.

I don't think he ultimately fit in well with Dag either. I remember asking Brian at a Junkyard show in 1989 why Dag broke up, and he said "I was sick of taking attitude from that midget fuck" . Pretty much a verbatim quote.

Personally, I was a huge fan of Doug's whole wigger-ed out persona circa 2001 when he was working with bands like Kottonmouth Kings... I remember he was sending out emails that said shit like "420 to all tha wobblerz in tha loop, y'all". I was actually bummed during his segment in Filmage that he seems to have grown out of his rap-metal phase.
jaybird

Postby gregpolard » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:17 am

jaybird wrote:

I don't think he ultimately fit in well with Dag either. I remember asking Brian at a Junkyard show in 1989 why Dag broke up, and he said "I was sick of taking attitude from that midget fuck" . Pretty much a verbatim quote.

Personally, I was a huge fan of Doug's whole wigger-ed out persona circa 2001 when he was working with bands like Kottonmouth Kings... I remember he was sending out emails that said shit like "420 to all tha wobblerz in tha loop, y'all". I was actually bummed during his segment in Filmage that he seems to have grown out of his rap-metal phase.

LOL!!!!!! that's great.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:31 pm

jaybird wrote:

I can't say I'm surprised given what cischord told me when I interviewed me years ago re: why he likes the solo in "Here's to You." Basically, he said he liked it because it pissed Doug off so much. He may not have fit in personality-wise, but I think they made some of their very best music with him in the band on Wig Out and Field Day.
JGJR

Postby 77clash » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:08 pm

jaybird wrote:

I was a big fan of the Humble Gods.
77clash

Postby jaybird » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:57 am

I should also add that Doug was totally cool every time I ever talked to him.
jaybird

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:49 pm

jaybird wrote:I should also add that Doug was totally cool every time I ever talked to him.

yeah, he was cool when used to answer back my letters and when I met him at Gilman.

speaking of which, my friend has some pics when DAG played Gilman in the 80's that I gotta post here one of these days.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:12 pm

WrEtcH wrote:
jaybird wrote:I should also add that Doug was totally cool every time I ever talked to him.

yeah, he was cool when used to answer back my letters and when I met him at Gilman.

speaking of which, my friend has some pics when DAG played Gilman in the 80's that I gotta post here one of these days.

Would love to see those!
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:50 pm

WrEtcH wrote:

I think I have a video of that show.
lewdd

Postby Neal » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:26 pm

77clash wrote:
jaybird wrote:

I was a big fan of the Humble Gods.

I saw the humble gods at a pretty empty show in madison. I totally nerded out with doug and brad. I asked brad about dumb shit i had learned through old thanks lists, like his promotion company, before the krazy rap metal stuff. I'm sure i annoyed him and doug, but they were really nice. I still own an unworn humble gods shirt too, size xl, even i wear like small. Ah 90's skate fashion.
Neal

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:28 pm

WrEtcH wrote: Bill's best drum tone on any of the discography

this
xxxMidgexxx

Return to daghouse