The Church

The Church

Postby tango fistula » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:40 pm

Spun "Of Skins and Hearts" after not hearing them for a good handful of years...

REALLY good.

Why this surprises me is a mystery...it's there in my records so I must like it...

This is one of those OZ bands that most people don't mention...possibly because of the "hit"
and possibly...too jangly?

Is there such a thing?

There's a limp kinda drab slouchy vibe to their music...which I'm diggin. Like playing mid tempo
could make them wilt and fall down....

Anyways...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvTqeY7r0xw
tango fistula

Re: The Church

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:48 pm

just saw they are on tour next year and will be in SF in Feb
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby tango fistula » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Yeah I'm tempted by that San Diego date
tango fistula

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:02 pm

Love them. Tour next year will be my 5th time seeing them. Still on the fence about the loss of Marty however.

I want to pick up Kilbey's new book, hope they have it on tour since it's $60 clams on Amazon right now. :roll:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10748285@ ... 414544807/

:bag:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby tango fistula » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:18 pm

Yeah no MWP on 12 string is gonna be a deficit....

BUT

The two dudes that started the band are still in the band...which is good!
tango fistula

Postby patient_ot » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:32 pm

The early albums up through and including Starfish are all great. My favorite bounces back and forth between Blurred Crusade and Heyday.

The only early stuff I'm not too wild about is Remote Luxury, which is about half good.

Priest = Aura is pretty good too.

The later stuff I'm not well versed in. Some people really dig it though.

I would say the Church are much more well-known in the U.S. than say the Go-Betweens.

Died Pretty is another Australian a band that is very underrated here in the states. I had to "rescue" a vinyl copy of their first album even though I own it on CD. Probably a first pressing to boot because it had been sitting there for months.
patient_ot

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Good band. Comes up in my shuffle every now and then.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:19 pm

tango fistula wrote:Spun "Of Skins and Hearts" after not hearing them for a good handful of years...

REALLY good.

Why this surprises me is a mystery...it's there in my records so I must like it...

This is one of those OZ bands that most people don't mention...possibly because of the "hit"
and possibly...too jangly?

Is there such a thing?

There's a limp kinda drab slouchy vibe to their music...which I'm diggin. Like playing mid tempo
could make them wilt and fall down....

Anyways...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvTqeY7r0xw

If you mean '90s Church, that's because Steve was on heroin for most of that decade. But anyway, I'm a big fan, too, especially of the stuff up to and including Priest = Aura but not limited to that at all. It's too bad Marty is no longer in the band.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:21 pm

patient_ot wrote:The early albums up through and including Starfish are all great. My favorite bounces back and forth between Blurred Crusade and Heyday.

The only early stuff I'm not too wild about is Remote Luxury, which is about half good.

Priest = Aura is pretty good too.

The later stuff I'm not well versed in. Some people really dig it though.

I would say the Church are much more well-known in the U.S. than say the Go-Betweens.

Died Pretty is another Australian a band that is very underrated here in the states. I had to "rescue" a vinyl copy of their first album even though I own it on CD. Probably a first pressing to boot because it had been sitting there for months.

That's a shame as The Go-Betweens were a way better band IMO. That's not a diss to The Church at all, but more about how great I think The Go-Betweens were.

And I LOVE Remote Luxury, though I know many fans don't. It's really 2 EPs that were combined for the U.S. market, but so many great songs on there.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:23 pm

I met Marty after a solo show in New York in the early '00s and he signed my copy of Art Attack. I don't have photographic evidence of this (other than the signed CD, which I think is in a box now). He looked very different then. It's still so weird to see him with a full beard like that, but anyway he was very nice though he has a reputation for being a bit cantankerous.
JGJR

Postby Fillavoid » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:24 pm

Have you guys listened to their new record, Further/Deeper? It’s really solid—even without Marty; the new guitarist works well with Peter. I just listened to the album again today, and I think it gets better each time I play it. It reminds me of Priest=Aura in a way.
Fillavoid

Postby JGJR » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:17 pm

Fillavoid wrote:Have you guys listened to their new record, Further/Deeper? It’s really solid—even without Marty; the new guitarist works well with Peter. I just listened to the album again today, and I think it gets better each time I play it. It reminds me of Priest=Aura in a way.

I have and it is good, but I need to spend more time with it for sure.
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:02 pm

According to the Church unofficial messageboard (Hotel Womb), the Aussie tour dates have featured the new album from start to finish and only one song from their past ("Don't Look Back").

I know they have a new guitarist but I wonder how this will go over on the US tour :?:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:16 pm

earthdog70 wrote:According to the Church unofficial messageboard (Hotel Womb), the Aussie tour dates have featured the new album from start to finish and only one song from their past ("Don't Look Back").

I know they have a new guitarist but I wonder how this will go over on the US tour :?:

I think I will likely skip their show here then.
JGJR

Return to daghouse