Who will get my attention today??

Who will get my attention today??

Postby clash77 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:20 pm

Where are the next Pistols or Clash?..The next Slayer or Metallica?..The next Joy Division?..The next Minor Threat or Necros??..In other words, There is nothing for me out there now..I'm an old crusty Fuck for a reason..No dogshit now will will get me off like the late '70's early 80's did..Ha..You'd think one fuckin band would change my mind??..Nope...
clash77

Re: Who will get my attention today??

Postby john stabb » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:55 am

Man, haven't we had enough bands try to be the next Clash or Pistols :?: I've had it up to my bloody gob with Rancid, Green Day, Casualties, Lars Fredrikson band, or whatever :!: I certainly hope we don't have any more groups trying to claim that old Punk Rock mantle. And I think 1 Slayer and Metallica is already one too many. Joy Division :?: Interpol tried real hard on that one but proved that couldn't come up with the goods. Uniform Choice, Good Charlotte, and a zillion bands have emulated Minor Threat but who wants another one of them or Necros :?: Seriously, let's try not to live in Nostalgiaville, here or you'll never be able to set foot outside your house and turntable. As I've stated before: I'm the most critical bastard I know about music but even I have found some bands who've gotten my attention lately. Coke Bust, Dot Dash, Rob K & Uncle Butcher, Silent Screams, The Yachtsmen, Taildraggers, 7 door sedan, OFF!, Jail Solidarity, Sure, that's not a huge list but it's a start. And happy to say none of them sound like any of those bands you mentioned in your original post.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:34 pm

john stabb wrote:Joy Division :?: Interpol tried real hard on that one but proved that couldn't come up with the goods.

Turn on the Bright Lights is a modern classic IMO. I liked Antics a lot when it came out, but haven't listened to it in a long time. The 2 albums after it are good, but far from the quality of the 1st 2. I've yet to hear the new one. Also, yeah Paul Banks does sound a lot like Ian Curtis (especially live), but musically they are way more like Chameleons, Kitchens of Distinction, et al.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:02 am

I like a few songs on their debut, JGJR, but didn't think the album was full of great songs. Live @ 9:30 Club yrs ago when Clinic (the whole surgical mask nonsense tour but they don't remind me of Wire, just Violent Femmes w/o the dance-bits), Interpol were like Peter Murphy singing over a Joy Division cover band. I know Midge will disagree with me but I think The Factory Incident were a much better band than Interpol.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:25 am

john stabb wrote:I like a few songs on their debut, JGJR, but didn't think the album was full of great songs. Live @ 9:30 Club yrs ago when Clinic (the whole surgical mask nonsense tour but they don't remind me of Wire, just Violent Femmes w/o the dance-bits), Interpol were like Peter Murphy singing over a Joy Division cover band. I know Midge will disagree with me but I think The Factory Incident were a much better band than Interpol.

I liked your old band, but yeah sorry I must disagree with you there and agree with midge on that one. You think Clinic sounds like Violent Femmes? They're much more '60s garage to my ears, though on occasion the vocals reminded me of Michael Stipe and one song even reminded me of Depeche Mode a little. I really liked Walking with Thee, but haven't really liked anything they've done that much since then. When I saw them, I just remember the mix being really bad and they were really loud and the place was full. Still a good show, though.
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:19 am

JGJR, the thing is I said that about FI because Midge once told Krrl @ GI - ear tumor benefit gig w/The Goons & others - "The only band I never liked of Stabb's was that horrible band, The Factory Incident". I don't think Midge realized he was telling that to the FI guitarist. :oops: I still will go on record saying REDTAPE is a better recording (with more interesting song ideas) than Turn on the Bright Lights. And I like some of those early Interpol songs. Their follow-up record was just plain dull. Clinic are merely not worth even talking about to me. One of the most throwaway bands, ever.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:39 am

john stabb wrote:JGJR, the thing is I said that about FI because Midge once told Krrl @ GI - ear tumor benefit gig w/The Goons & others - "The only band I never liked of Stabb's was that horrible band, The Factory Incident". I don't think Midge realized he was telling that to the FI guitarist. :oops: I still will go on record saying REDTAPE is a better recording (with more interesting song ideas) than Turn on the Bright Lights. And I like some of those early Interpol songs. Their follow-up record was just plain dull. Clinic are merely not worth even talking about to me. One of the most throwaway bands, ever.

Again, we'll just have to agree to disagree re: Interpol and Clinic. I'll say this about Midge. He doesn't hold back re: his opinions.
JGJR

Return to daghouse