X- Unheard music film

X- Unheard music film

Postby clash77 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:26 pm

I think the most interesting about this film is how much Manzarek liked them..Not something I would expect( even with the Soul Kitchen cover).
clash77

Re: X- Unheard music film

Postby version sound » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:07 am

I don't know if Ray was a genuinely cool guy, or just desperate to stay relevant. At one point he tried to reform the Doors with Iggy on vocals. He had some other involvement in the early LA punk scene too, IIRC.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:37 pm

version sound wrote:I don't know if Ray was a genuinely cool guy, or just desperate to stay relevant. At one point he tried to reform the Doors with Iggy on vocals. He had some other involvement in the early LA punk scene too, IIRC.

I never knew that re: Iggy. Anyway, of course I like this film a lot since I'm a huge fan of X. I never saw it until 2005 or so when it finally came out on DVD. It was one of the first things I ever rented from Netflix. I remember going into Vintage Vinyl and seeing the Laserdisc copy of this film for sale almost every time I'd go there, but I never had a way to play those and I never found a VHS rental of it or anything in the '90s like I did with others from that time period like Decline, Urgh!, et al.

There's a lot of debate about how much Manzarek actually did on those great 1st 4 albums. I've heard he really sat around not doing much of anything aside from slapping some organ on a few songs and that they're basically band-produced albums.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby WrEtcH » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:52 pm

X never disappoints me in documentaries, filmed live performances or albums.
I gotta get on my horse and buy my ticket for them and the BLASTERS in Dec in SF.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby dave123 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:12 pm

It's a cool documentary. I try to pretend Manzarek had nothing to do with X. It was almost torture to watch him wander around on stage with them and sing along. X is such a cool aligning of the stars kind of band.
dave123

Postby john stabb » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:16 am

Manzarek is one of the biggest sycophants in the music biz still making his $ off of his "Jim, oh, my Jim". The thing is he can only tell these Morrison stories because has anyone ever heard that DOORS album they made after he croaked :?: It's completely laughable with them noodling along and I think Ray singing these awful countrified songs like "Im horny, I'm stoned". Love the LOS ANGELES album but never felt they made a great X album afterwards. A few great early "7's & half a good LP with WILD GIFT.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:06 am

john stabb wrote:Manzarek is one of the biggest sycophants in the music biz still making his $ off of his "Jim, oh, my Jim". The thing is he can only tell these Morrison stories because has anyone ever heard that DOORS album they made after he croaked :?: It's completely laughable with them noodling along and I think Ray singing these awful countrified songs like "Im horny, I'm stoned". Love the LOS ANGELES album but never felt they made a great X album afterwards. A few great early "7's & half a good LP with WILD GIFT.

Half a good Lp? You know I love you, but you should have your ears checked out. That's their best album and one of my favorite Lps ever. I will personally come over when I am in DC next month and force you to listen to "Some Other Time" and "It's Who You Know" at a very high volume (or you can just do it yourself) to prove my point. I hope those are in the half you like. The 2 that came after it are quite great, too.

Agreed on Manzarek, though. It's really painful to watch him in some of those VH1 Doors docs. One part that really makes me laugh is when he's analyzing the lyrics to "Back Door Man" and says Jim could really eat more chicken than any man's ever seen (not to mention that obviously a Howlin' Wolf/Willie Dixon cover). Sure, I bet he could eat more than some competitive eater or 400 lb guy or something. Not. :roll:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse