ATTENTION: OBIK

ATTENTION: OBIK

Postby pedro » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:10 pm

What is this new/old 9353 recording out there? "The Inner Ear Demo" or something like that. Is it Bruce/Jason/Vance/Dan? Maybe even pre-Dan?

More importantly, is it any good? Does someone who loves the 80's records but hasn't cared enough to check out the reformed band, neither live nor recorded, need it?

Thank you in advance.
Hello.
pedro

Re: ATTENTION: OBIK

Postby obik » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:05 pm

Born On Probation is the original 1983 mix of the first 9353 studio demo. Some* (maybe all?) of it was on the two Adult Swim CDs, but remixed. I also think most of also it wound up on my 9353 booking tape. The lineup is lineup was Jason / Bruce / Vance / Dan.

Haven't heard it yet--my copy was supposed to arrive today, but since USPS has already made their rounds, I expect it'll show up tomorrow. I ordered Ravens... at the same time, so I'll report on that one too.

*tracks 3 and 13 on Loud Days..., and a bunch of stuff on Overdoses... (don't have a copy handy to check)
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby obik » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:24 am

It must be a very heavy CD indeed. It's taken the post office five days to drag it from Riverdale to Capitol Heights. God only knows how long it'll take for them to get it all the way to Arlington.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby pedro » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:15 am

Thanks. Let me know what you think of the album.
Hello.
pedro

Postby obik » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:23 pm

My book report is on "Born On Probation" by nine-three-five-three.

Egnopssponge
Noticably different mix. Sounds muffled. Some of the vocal bits might be different too (I've listened to 9353 for the last three hours, so I'm a bit too fried to really sit down and dissect this one cut right now). Definitely a weak start, but at the same time it's the most obviously different mix of the bunch, so I can see why it's the opener.

East Of Sudan
Sounds clearer than the Overdoses/LP mix. This is indisputably superior to the remix.

Senior Citizen Disposal Plant
Ghost
Rooftop

Beefier than the mixes on Overdoses. Sound good, but I don't know if I'd say better--just different.

Babies
Doesn't fade in like the version on Overdoses. Sounds much clearer. Better than the remix on first listen.

Famous Last Words
Sounds a bit muffled.

With All Respect
This is the recording that was on Loud Days, not the one that was on Consume/Overdoses. It's much beefier than the remix.

Bombing For God, Right
Beefier mix, but it sounds muffled.

Viva La Sleaze
Lacks the intro that was on No God/Loud Days (as does my 1983-ish 9353 booking tape with this song). Sounds a bit muffled.

Ten Witches
Beefier mix. Worse than the Overdoses version, I think--it lacks the weird treble edge.

King Boy Power Hell
Beefier mix.

Essential? Maybe. If you don't own the two Adult Swim CDs or the original wax, buy it. If you own the other CDs, I don't think this is a mandatory purchase, but it's an interesting listen if you're a fan. There are a couple cuts that are better than the mixes you already know and a couple that are worse, but for the most part it's a wash--I'd base a purchase decision on whether you'd miss the $13 or not rather than the music itself.

Will report on Ravens later.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby obik » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:57 pm

I've listened to the first four songs off Ravens. I don't know when, or even if, I'll finish the album.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby 77clash » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:00 am

I don't like the Ravens either so I can understand where you are coming from.
77clash

Return to daghouse