Positive Force Doc - a few thoughts.

Positive Force Doc - a few thoughts.

Postby john stabb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:43 am

First off, Meowgirl and me were way drained from the monumental gig @ Union Arts, DC - seeing Rob K & Uncle Butcher - Jam Messengers was the funnest gig of the year :!: We discovered that we could pay $7 to have the PF Doc - More than a Witness streamed on the TV so decided not to fight the cold (DC is getting nippy lately so drag out the sweaters & Dr. Who length scarf again) and crowds. Sure it was only a block away for us but order a couple pizzas and kick back with our mates, Krrl + Aimee instead. It's a pretty good doc but I could've done w/o all the lyrics subtitled across the screen when showing killer live footage. But think the filmmakers want to make a point of the lyrics. It comes off a bit scholastic like it's for studying in class. Lots of live footage (Fugazi, Embrace, Beefeater, Holy Rollers - don't see that very often so nice, Bikini Kill, ROS, Scream). Interviews w/ various musicians you know & PF members that you don't. Flyers streaming across the screen in your face and some interesting moments where Jenny Toomey (Tsunami) invited MTV into the Positive Force House - Mark Andersen was not happy about that personal invasion. Oh, and thankfully during the Fugazi @ Wilson Center video, I didn't get to see Charlie topless in a dress sans underwear shaking his junk out, the hippy topless females letting their sweat glands all hang out again :!: And for those of you here who've never seen Beefeater back in their day - Tomas isn't naked here either. That was plenty fine with me. I tell you what. :oops:

And here's my gripes: Good Charolotte really had nothing to do w/ DC Punk & are pretty much thought of as a joke. But I think they donated $ and helped PF in some odd way so Benji is in the doc. Same w/ Anti-Flag but was really surprised to see them play St. Stevens because (like GC & Dave Grohl) They're a corporate product. Seems so-ANTI-PF when Marc wanted nothing to do w/ Jenny bringing MTV into the house? I don't get it. Yep, the spokesperson himself, Dave Grohl, who played 1 PF benefit w/ Scream is heavily in the thing. I was a bit surprised they never asked me to talk about PF. And maybe none of the post-G.I. bands of mine were ever filmed? Weatherhead played Alternafestival on Dupont Circle w/ Fugazi, teen psycho booty w/ ? for PF, Betty Blue played PF benefit w/ Make Up,Sleeper Agent w/ XMC @ GWU + w/ Titus andronicus (who were in the doc!) from same gig @ St. Stevens. Also took part in 3 PF events: peaceful protest outside McDonald's, Punk percussion protest outside African Embassy and the Night of placing "Meese is a Pig" posters around the MD area.

But I don't want to sound like I'm slamming Mark + the organization because they have done incredibly generous things for causes and spent time with senior citizens (+ the homeless). Glad to see the final product and support these folks for the good they do.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Re: Positive Force Doc - a few thoughts.

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:30 am

I'd like to see this. Is it On Demand?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby MXV » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:49 am

I would go so far as to say Good Charlotte had nothing to do with punk rock at all. What a horrible manufactured band that was.
Last edited by MXV on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:02 am

I do not, and have never, liked Good Charlotte FWIW. But I know those guys definitely like/grew up with punk rock stuff.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:06 pm

gregpolard wrote:I'd like to see this. Is it On Demand?

I have the same question. I would happily pay $7 to watch this, though maybe I'll wait until it's (hopefully) eventually on Netflix or Amazon Prime or something.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby danny » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:18 pm

i haven't seen it yet - but will check it out at some point. i played in a few of the early pf benefits - and always supported mark's efforts. he gets some flack here and there - but i am actually quite fond of the guy and hope that the film doesn't just serve as a vehicle for dc punk rock nostalgia. i hope it helps illuminate the good work he has done over the last 25 years - and continues to do.
danny

Postby john stabb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:23 pm

I'm fond of Mark, too. I just don't know if I'm really fond of the final project. And GC may have grown up around DC Punk/hardcore but they blatantly used it (and not as an homage but ...) as a stepping stone early on in their manufactured career. And according to L.A. Dave (when playing a festival with Goons) he saw what controlled monkeys by their managers they were up close. That's really pathetic. "Back in your cages, boys. You can't hang out with the real punks in the dinner tent :!: ". Seeing them and Anti-Flag in the doc surprised me.

Speaking of surprises: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20141119

Seriously, am I the only one here who thinks he hasn't earned the right to be called DC Punk :?: Fucking Strolling Bone magazine now caring about "DC Punk". Still one of the worst pieces of corporate shite disguised as a sincere Rock music publication. For everything it was in their heyday w/ Hunter S. Thompson & great passionate articles musicians work/gigs in the 70's, it should be pissed upon as you walk by it on the stands. I admire Fugazi for never giving them anything. They begged for interviews but got JACK SQUAT :lol: They now put Minor Threat, Black Flag, Fugazi on their "best of" lists but never gave a rat's ass about Punk outside of THE CLASH, DOLLS, RAMONES + PISTOLS. Hardcore was not in their vocabulary. Nirvana shouldn't have given them the time of day either but unfortunately they played the game to some extent. I think that always bothered Kurt but so it goes. Foo Fighters will always be open to the game. That's a given.
Last edited by john stabb on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
john stabb

Postby john stabb » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:09 am

Also, need to say I don't HATE DAVE GROHL. He's been one of the nicest dudes to me the 2 times we've met. Nothing but approachable and friendly. And I've heard he's like that to everyone. I wouldn't want to be in his band because I have heard he's a bit of a control freak. Lots of talented folks are. But I do feel critical of everyone in the entertainment world's work so his projects like Sound City or Sonic Highways aren't above being poked at with a long pointy stick. I think it's fair to say that he wants to have his fingers in all of his favorite musician's pie. Is that a bad thing :?: Not really. He's got his share of musical heroes. But it gets to be a bit annoying to see every time you turn around. I'm not envious or jealous that he gets to jam with folks like: Nicks, Springsteen, Pezatti, McCartney, Costello, Petty, Mould, Brian May, Page, Wino, Jaz, or whoever. It does get a little Bono-like after a while. It seems he's selling himself so thickly that folks are going to get tired of seeing him soon. I think most people on the planet have had their bloody share of Bono. I know I have. Dave's accomplished a fuck of a lot in a very short amount of time. Nobody should begrudge the guy for that. I wouldn't want to walk in his, Henry's or Ian's sneakers.

Just a few thoughts in case anyone thinks I'm picking on the Rock & Grohl Show.
john stabb

Postby gregpolard » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:36 am

I know that shortly after Kurt died, Krist Novoselic wrote a pretty nasty letter to RS basically saying they suck. And he said he'd rather read MRR or something like that.

I like Dave Grohl, as I've said on here many times. I can see why folks don't, but he's (in)directly responsible for me being into pretty much everything I am now musically because of Nirvana. But especially him because of the DCHC connection.
gregpolard

Postby Gary » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:26 am

Saw the documentary in the summer,albeit an unfinished version. Thought it was fine. But as there have been so many documentaries of late,it needs to be really exceptional to really impress me.
To be honest,I much rather see documents from the time. Unedited with the bad still there. Of course it has to exist in the first place. But,I'll happily watch or read retrospective stuff,especially if it's clear some effort has been put in.
Gary

Return to daghouse