possible RIDE reunion

possible RIDE reunion

Postby BAIN » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:59 pm

BAIN

Re: possible RIDE reunion

Postby version sound » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:11 pm

If they promised not to do anything past Going Blank Again, it could be interesting.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby wALLton » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:08 am

wALLton

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:16 am

Ride are this week's Slowdive.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby BAIN » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:41 am

gregpolard wrote:Ride are this week's Slowdive.

not even close!!!

see you at T5
BAIN

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:48 am

BAIN wrote:

not even close!!!

see you at T5

All I know about Ride is that the one guy played in Oasis. I'm sure I'd like them, just like I'm sure I'd like Slowdive. I was just making a joke (and I already had this discussion w/ JGJR too) that it seems like every other week, another band reunites. Internet is abuzz....then the next thing comes....etc. It's just funny.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby BAIN » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:54 am

gregpolard wrote:
BAIN wrote:

not even close!!!

see you at T5

All I know about Ride is that the one guy played in Oasis. I'm sure I'd like them, just like I'm sure I'd like Slowdive. I was just making a joke (and I already had this discussion w/ JGJR too) that it seems like every other week, another band reunites. Internet is abuzz....then the next thing comes....etc. It's just funny.

Totally understand. I'm pretty sure that most people above the age of 30 have chased one band or another, thinking to themselves "hey they are all alive, why not play?". Sure it may be a cash grab, but fuck they were a good band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcyfPXF770U
BAIN

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:55 am

BAIN wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
BAIN wrote:

not even close!!!

see you at T5

Totally understand. I'm pretty sure that most people above the age of 30 have chased one band or another, thinking to themselves "hey they are all alive, why not play?". Sure it may be a cash grab, but fuck they were a good band.

Youtube is blocked at work but I'll def check out. They've always been on my list of "man, I should listen to these guys" and for some reason I never did.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:10 am

gregpolard wrote:
BAIN wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
BAIN wrote:

not even close!!!

see you at T5

Youtube is blocked at work but I'll def check out. They've always been on my list of "man, I should listen to these guys" and for some reason I never did.

Make sure you listen to something from Nowhere and not Tarantula or other late period failures.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby BAIN » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:23 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
BAIN wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
BAIN wrote:

not even close!!!

see you at T5

Make sure you listen to something from Nowhere and not Tarantula or other late period failures.

Tarantula had some decent songs on it, but it definitely was their attempt at hitting a larger market and leaving out all the characteristics of what made them RIDE.
BAIN

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:42 am

This totally RULES! They were awesome back at the old 930 Club in 1992 :!:

I have to find out if a Boston date will be added, otherwise road trip to NYC :!:

Now that Beady Eye is done, I need Chris Sharrock to agree to an original member Icicle Works reunion in 2015.

Then my head will explode :D
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:59 pm

I'm quite excited about this and hope they add a Philly show. If not, we may travel for this one if possible and necessary as right now the closest show to us is a New York one. My wife is a big fan and she got me into them, particularly Nowhere. I also hope they focus on that one.

They're not one of my favorite bands ever or anything, but a band I really like that I never saw when they were originally around and I'm sure there are lots of fans in that camp who ever were too young to see them back then or they got into them after they broke up or something.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby BAIN » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:57 pm

T5 amex presale on now!!!
BAIN

Postby patient_ot » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:51 pm

earthdog70 wrote:
Now that Beady Eye is done, I need Chris Sharrock to agree to an original member Icicle Works reunion in 2015.

Played the first Icicles album the other day. Dunno anything about them after that 1st LP, but it's very good.
patient_ot

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:32 pm

This song is cool.
gregpolard

Postby wALLton » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:36 am

JGJR wrote:I'm quite excited about this and hope they add a Philly show. If not, we may travel for this one if possible and necessary as right now the closest show to us is a New York one. My wife is a big fan and she got me into them, particularly Nowhere. I also hope they focus on that one.

From the Drowned in Sound Interview with Mark Gardener yesterday:

DiS: Will the sets be predominantly Nowhere based or will they span the entire Ride back catalogue?

Mark Gardener: Certainly for the initial run we'll be playing songs off the first EPs, Nowhere and Going Blank Again. They're the songs people mostly know us by. We never played any of Tarantula live ever so 'Black Nite Crash' could be fun to do. There's a couple on Carnival Of Light that I really love as well. I still play 'From Time To Time' in my sets quite a lot so it's a bit early to say exactly how the setlist will look. What I can say is that we have a big catalogue of songs to choose from so it will be our intention to change the set from show to show. I don't see how we can do every song even from that Nowhere/Going Blank Again era in the allotted time. There are some real mainstay ones we'll definitely play at every show but we want to mix things up a bit too. It's nice to be in a position where we can throw things in, take some out and juggle everything around a little bit.

Great news!!!

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4148 ... k-gardener
wALLton

Postby john stabb » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:39 am

By the time they did Tarantula, they were done. An embarrassment to the entire "shoe gaze" era. But loved the Mark Gardner solo-acoustic live CD-r's that either e-dog or old friend @ indie fanzine ( :?: ) burned for me but eventually got lost on a road trip. :x I'd be into seeing that gig or RIDE Reunion if it's not super-$$$$. If they play in DC, Terry will surely get Dot Dash to open if I know the "hardest working musician in show biz". That would be awesome. Perhaps he could get History Repeated on that bill ... ;) Either way, I'll be owing danny big to get the Meowists in for this. :mrgreen:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby dave123 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:54 am

gregpolard wrote: They've always been on my list of "man, I should listen to these guys" and for some reason I never did.

You will not be disappointed. I was late to the party on this band as well and was pretty blown away.
dave123

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:24 am

I may have burned the Mark solo stuff for you back in the day Stabby-not sure.

Patient-the first IW record is great, but they have other great ones too.

Working on possibly going to see Ride in Toronto with a pal.

Since I just found out Lewdd is taking a sabbatical from PRB 2015 I may be able to swing it. :shock:
earthdog70

Postby lewdd » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:52 pm

earthdog70 wrote:I may have burned the Mark solo stuff for you back in the day Stabby-not sure.

Patient-the first IW record is great, but they have other great ones too.

Working on possibly going to see Ride in Toronto with a pal.

Since I just found out Lewdd is taking a sabbatical from PRB 2015 I may be able to swing it. :shock:

I'm sure I will be kicking myself once they announce the headliners in a few weeks.
lewdd

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:21 am

Just snagged a Toronto ticket via the pre-sale. It will be my first time visiting the Great White North, I hope Bob&Doug will be there :D
earthdog70

Return to daghouse